• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Custom Gym Rules in LGPE?

Will there be Gym-specific rules for each Gym?

• Yes, but only hand-holding ones that take the challenge out of the game.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Only in relation to Brock's Gym.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No. This is a demo-specific feature.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, other Gyms will have different rules and restrictions like in the Anime.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters

Kallyle

Starwalker Neo
Reaction score
First of all, let's address the elephant in the room: yesterday's E3 demo showed us a controversial tidbit about Brock's Gym for Pokémon Let's Go! Pikachu/Eevee. Mainly, this is what the community is divided on:

Many people are not too happy about this. This isn't just about the veterans complaining about more hand-holding and making the games too easy, but also a matter of some feeling it insults the target demographic's intelligence and limits your team. However, not only did Masuda point out that this only applies to Brock's Gym, but @Cresselia92 gave her response on the matter which made me ponder about something.

I can see that thing as an anti-frustration feature for a younger audience which couples as a way to learn a bit more about type matchups. There is nothing stopping you all from showing up with a Lv. 5 Grass/Water and have your Double Kick Pikachu or whatever deal with the first Gym.

Bedsides, the demo says that Brock has that specific rule for beginners. It makes me wonder if the other Gyms will have specific rules as well, maybe that follow the difficulty curve.

Under the assumption that Masuda's statement about keeping veteran players "on their toes" isn't solely PR talk (though it probably is), what if our staff-member's prediction of each Gym having their own restrictions turns out to be true? What if the restrictions on Brock's Gym is the only one that makes things easier because Game Freak wants us to get used to the concept of Gym-specific rule-sets?

So, what do you think about each Gym having their own specific rule-sets? Is it possible, or am I just being optimistic for no reason? Do you think this just in relation to Brock's Gym, or is this only for the first Gym?

In addition, if this does come to pass, then what sort of rules do you see being implemented into the other Gyms? What sort of rules would you like to seem implemented in certain Gyms?

Discuss!

I was checking to see if you can even catch any grass types by borcks gym (because you can't catch any water types since theres no surf yet, and no fishing rod until alitle later) aside from oddish which they added to viridan forest (saw it pop up in the gameplay trailer) theres no grass types or water types (unless you get bulbasuar charmander and squiretle a lot eailer then in yellow)

I personally still don't see the big deal about the guy just asking to see a water/grass-type the first time you go to the gym since it's not like you're forced to use it in the battle, but to focus on the main question, I feel like this type of this is only going to be for Brock's gym. The dialogue made it seem like this was something only for your first gym challenge, so I personally doubt they'll do something like that for each one.

Brock: Bring a pokemon with a type advantage to my gym
Misty: Bring at least two pokemon (double battle against Staryu&Starmie)
Lt. Surge: Bring a Pikachu
Erika: None of your pokemon should be below level 15
Koga: No Steel-types on your team
Sabrina: Three pokemon only
Blaine: None of your pokemon should be below level 25
Giovanni: No rules

Just tossing out random thoughts

Lt. Surge: Bring a Pikachu

I don’t see the logic for this? If you’re going to say it’s to mimic the anime- the Anime version of Lt. Surge laughed on Pikachu. I doubt he would force challengers to use purposefully weak Pokemon. He didn’t want to battle Pikachu due to its laughable weakness.

If there are any limitations, they’re going to be for the player's benefit.
The realistic/more pessimistic side of me says that there will be restrictions in some gyms while the optimistic one thinks that it’s first gym only.

I don’t see the logic for this? If you’re going to say it’s to mimic the anime- the Anime version of Lt. Surge laughed on Pikachu. I doubt he would force challengers to use purposefully weak Pokemon. He didn’t want to battle Pikachu due to its laughable weakness.

The realistic/more pessimistic side of me says that there will be restrictions in some gyms while the optimistic one thinks that it’s first gym only.
It's more because Lt.Surge uses a Raichu, and he has in-game events that involve Pikachu (he'll give you his number if you have a Pikachu walking behind you in HGSS and I think he also trades you a Pikachu at some point as well).

It's more because Lt.Surge uses a Raichu, and he has in-game events that involve Pikachu (he'll give you his number if you have a Pikachu walking behind you in HGSS and I think he also trades you a Pikachu at some point as well).

The developers wouldn’t want the player to have Pikachu battle against its evolution with higher stats though.

Maybe there will be gym leaders rematches and on the rematches the restiction will be in the leaders favor

Maybe there will be gym leaders rematches and on the rematches the restiction will be in the leaders favor

I don’t think rematches will be available, seeing the nature of these games.
If they are, I don’t expect a change in restrictions- just higher levels like before.

EDIT: Checked Bulbapedia and according to it there were no Gym matches in Yellow. This further reduces the probability of gym leader rematches imo.

I don’t think rematches will be available, seeing the nature of these games.
If they are, I don’t expect a change in restrictions- just higher levels like before.

EDIT: Checked Bulbapedia and according to it there were no Gym matches in Yellow. This further reduces the probability of gym leader rematches imo.
Does not mean there won’t be leader rematches.

Does not mean there won’t be leader rematches.
There were no Gym rematches in GSC, and yet you can rebattle them in HGSS. So no, that doesn’t reduce the probability.

There were Sevii islands in FRLG, doesn’t mean they’re in LGPE.

LGPE are not carrying over the more battle heavy and 'competitive' features (see: removal of abilities and wild battles) so it’s not unreasonable to expect no Gym leader rematches.

There were Sevii islands in FRLG, doesn’t mean they’re in LGPE.

LGPE are not carrying over the more battle heavy and 'competitive' features (see: removal of abilities and wild battles) so it’s not unreasonable to expect no Gym leader rematches.

There is a good difference between not porting a “region” from remakes and not adding extra matches for Gym Leaders. The two things aren’t comparable in the slightest.

While it is true that there could not be rematches, it is also true that there could be, too. Also, all remakes give the possibility to rebattle Gym Leaders, so I don’t see why this would be any different, even if it is more “casualized”.

????

There was no gym rematches in either FRLG or ORAS. Only in HGSS. What are you talking about?

I wouldn’t really count FRLG as the whole Gym rematches thing started with Emerald, but the ORAS thing is something that I had forgot about. Still, the point is that just because the original didn’t feature Gym rematches, it doesn’t mean that Let’s Go won’t feature them.

Only for Brock. Maybe Misty as well.

It would be REALLY funny if all gyms forced it though.

Wonder why they don't count Ground and Steel?

????

There was no gym rematches in either FRLG or ORAS. Only in HGSS. What are you talking about?

Emerald kinda counts as a remake

There were no Gym Leader rematches in GSC, and yet you can rebattle them in HGSS. So no, that doesn’t reduce the probability.
There was no Battle Frontier in GSC but there was is HGSS. There was a Battle Frontier in Emerald but none in ORAS.

1) The things I loved about hgss platinum and BW2 are things Gamefreak just isn't interested in doing anymore.

2) Something not being in the original gives them the perfect excuse not to include it in the remakes.

As for the topic at hand I can easily see a bunch of random road blocks that slow the game down.

I doubt that they’ll put any rematches in LGPE because it is clearly meant to be more casual. It’s not being advertised as competitive, hence the removal of basically all but a few basic battle aspects.

But that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. They should actually use the chance to bring back features like pokestar and pokeatholon. Parents and children would have a lot f fun doing relay races and stuff together. Like Mario party with Pokémon.

Anyways on the topic of the thread before we derail too much: I think they’ll do rules for more than just brocks gym. It’s too strange to do it for one gym and not the others. Hopefully they’re simple and don’t effect you majorly and don’t screw a Pokémon out of precious exp, but we’ll see.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom