• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Spoilers Custom Gym Rules in LGPE?

Will there be Gym-specific rules for each Gym?

• Yes, but only hand-holding ones that take the challenge out of the game.

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Only in relation to Brock's Gym.

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No. This is a demo-specific feature.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, other Gyms will have different rules and restrictions like in the Anime.

Votes: 3 23.1%

• Total voters
So what are the gym rules for all the gyms?
Cut, copy and paste from a Smogon user:

So have the list of all the Gym Requirements and some of them are kind of strange:

Pewter Gym: Show a Grass- or Water-type Pokemon.

Alright, teaching you about Type advantage.

Cerulean Gym: Show a Level 15 Pokemon.

Once again, fine, making sure we're properly leveled even though from what I heard at the very least your Starter should be over Level 15.

Vermillion Gym: Beat the S.S. Anne.

Yup, they use the original roadblock as the "requirement" to challenge the Gym. The Gym Guide is standing on the other side of the cutable tree and once you cut it down you can challenge the Gym with no other disturbances. What was even the point?

Celadon Gym: Have a "cute" Pokemon.

Just have your Starter. I guess this is more to show off the "girliness" of the Gym as it's a Lass that asks to see a cute Pokemon and not the Gym Guide. Still, why bother?
BTW, the old man says the Gym is full of "strong trainers". BOO!

Fuchsia Gym: Catch 50 different species of Pokemon.

Might as well also be a freebie, but at least is a requirement that actually sounds like a task you might has skipped out on if you're just running through the game (though apparently catching Pokemon is the quickest way to level-up that battling trainers is kind of a waste of time *sigh*).

Saffron Gym: Show a Level 45 Pokemon.

Well, you may have a Pokemon at Level 45, but there's another problem with this requirement: Sabrina doesn't have a Pokemon over Level 45! Her highest level Pokemon is Alakazam at Level 44. So, the Gym Requirement is telling you to go in with an overlevelled Pokemon. Like, wow, now I'm sure if you play the game as intended you'll probably have a Pokemon at Level 45 anyway but to require it is the worst case of hand holding I've seen.

Cinnabar Gym: Get the Secret Key from the Pokemon Mansion.

Like with Vermillion Gym, they re-use the original roadblock.

Viridian Gym: Have all the other Badges.

And it ends on one last freebie.

... What were the point of these again? Only Pewter, Cerulean, and maybe Fuchsia served a useful purpose. But Vermillion and Cinnabar used the original roadblocks, Celadon and Viridian were freebies, and Saffron wants you to purposely be over leveled. These feels like a waste of time both on the player's part and on the developer's part, a poor programmer spent who know how many hours or days programming these.

I also refrained from talking about the "changes" to the Gyms, I'll leave that for everyone to see for themselves but I like what they did. :)

Cut, copy and paste from a Smogon user:

So have the list of all the Gym Requirements and some of them are kind of strange:

Pewter Gym: Show a Grass- or Water-type Pokemon.

Alright, teaching you about Type advantage.

Cerulean Gym: Show a Level 15 Pokemon.

Once again, fine, making sure we're properly leveled even though from what I heard at the very least your Starter should be over Level 15.

Vermillion Gym: Beat the S.S. Anne.

Yup, they use the original roadblock as the "requirement" to challenge the Gym. The Gym Guide is standing on the other side of the cutable tree and once you cut it down you can challenge the Gym with no other disturbances. What was even the point?

Just have your Starter. I guess this is more to show off the "girliness" of the Gym as it's a Lass that asks to see a cute Pokemon and not the Gym Guide. Still, why bother?
BTW, the old man says the Gym is full of "strong trainers". BOO!

Fuchsia Gym: Catch 50 different species of Pokemon.

Might as well also be a freebie, but at least is a requirement that actually sounds like a task you might has skipped out on if you're just running through the game (though apparently catching Pokemon is the quickest way to level-up that battling trainers is kind of a waste of time *sigh*).

Saffron Gym: Show a Level 45 Pokemon.

Well, you may have a Pokemon at Level 45, but there's another problem with this requirement: Sabrina doesn't have a Pokemon over Level 45! Her highest level Pokemon is Alakazam at Level 44. So, the Gym Requirement is telling you to go in with an overlevelled Pokemon. Like, wow, now I'm sure if you play the game as intended you'll probably have a Pokemon at Level 45 anyway but to require it is the worst case of hand holding I've seen.

Cinnabar Gym: Get the Secret Key from the Pokemon Mansion.

Like with Vermillion Gym, they re-use the original roadblock.

Viridian Gym: Have all the other Badges.

And it ends on one last freebie.

... What were the point of these again? Only Pewter, Cerulean, and maybe Fuchsia served a useful purpose. But Vermillion and Cinnabar used the original roadblocks, Celadon and Viridian were freebies, and Saffron wants you to purposely be over leveled. These feels like a waste of time both on the player's part and on the developer's part, a poor programmer spent who know how many hours or days programming these.
Wow. They didn’t even try with this game. :(

Do we know the criteria for 'cuteness'? People on reddit claim that Venusaur and Nidoking met the requirements, which are odd choices for cute Pokémon (no offence to Venusaur and Nidoking fans).

Apart from Saffron's requirement, these seem pretty inoffensive. They would have served more of a point if they'd all been type-related, but non-newbies would have probably complained about that.

Apart from Saffron's requirement, these seem pretty inoffensive. They would have served more of a point if they'd all been type-related, but non-newbies would have probably complained about that.
Honestly, with the requirements being so cut and dry for the most part, this mechanic effectively only serves to add a bit more flavor to the gym challenge, which I'm all for.

It's hardly the end of the Pokemon franchise as we know is like people were screaming when it was first announced.

As originally expected, none of these were worth the initial outrage of 'MaKiNg ThE gAmE tOo EaSy!!!!"

The absolute worst was Koga's as I hadn't bothered to catch much of anything that wasn't meant for my team or some grinding for an upcoming Gym when going through LGE~ I had to go back and find ~30 mons. The task wouldn't have been so bad if the game makes it worthwhile to bother catching Pokemon (which you would expect from a GO style game) but you can largely get through most content just playing the game as any other standard main series game and none of the NPCs really make you think about going out of your way to catch anything up until this point.

In fact, it was while fulfilling this task that I got one of my mons high enough Level'd so I could challenge Sabrina~ It was by far the most annoying of the Requirements but since I anticipated it while playing LGP, I was pretty prepared for it beforehand and it didn't slow me down as much~

TL;DR, they weren't as bad as people acted like they'd be~

You need to catch 60 Pokemon to get Squirtle, which is harsher than Koga's requirement unless you catch a lot of repeats.

Team Gaara said:
The task wouldn't have been so bad if the game makes it worthwhile to bother catching Pokemon
You're probably going to be quite a bit underleveled if you only catch a few Pokemon. And candies are worthwhile if you don't mind using them.

Yeah, most of the requirements weren't anything too difficult or interesting. They weren't really bad. They provided something a bit different for the Gyms, but nothing really challenging. I was pretty neutral on them since they didn't make the Gyms better or worse for me. They certainly weren't nearly as bad as a lot of fans thought they would be when they first announced the Gym requirements.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom