• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

And again in Gen 7, they didn't give the male character the ability to have facial hair. While I could understand due to the age being 11, but those could've been passed off as fake facial hair that he likes wearing.

And again in Gen 7, they didn't give the male character the ability to have facial hair. While I could understand due to the age being 11, but those could've been passed off as fake facial hair that he likes wearing.

The age is the thing they won't change about the protagonists. So, it isn't really surprising they won't use facial hair (even fake facial hair) in 11 years old.

Last edited:
So, I hope we get to wear Dialga and Palkia-themed clothes, we see the two different tribes wearing them, so it would only be fair if the player can also wear them.

IDK if this is asking for too much, but I hope we can pick the colour from a colour wheel or something like that. It would give much more freedom to the player to costumise themselves. Same thing with skin and eye colour.
MH Stories 2 has this feature and it was really fun customising my character with all the different options, and you can use the colour wheel to change the colour of your clothes too. Unfortunately if we look at BDSP they'll probably continue doing it like before...

They're really putting an emphasis on full outfits this time around.

Like I understand that SWSH only had the league uniforms and expedition snow suit as full outfits. So I get they're showing off more options. But at the same time I really want to know what some of the mix and match only options the female pc has. Especially if the obi is optional or if we can at least change the color/pattern/type.

They're really putting an emphasis on full outfits this time around.

Like I understand that SWSH only had the league uniforms and expedition snow suit as full outfits. So I get they're showing off more options. But at the same time I really want to know what some of the mix and match only options the female pc has. Especially if the obi is optional or if we can at least change the color/pattern/type.
Especially sense the few mix and match options we have seen are the same basic shape just with a different pattern slapped on. Which reminds me of Sun and moon where 99% of the male shirts were tank tops with a different pattern slapped on (also because literally every single custom character we have seen has had the obi i assume its required._

Really starting to worry about them turning the tables where the female PC has less clothing options than the male one this time around.

I mean they probably wouldn't do that. But it's still pretty suspicious we still haven't seen the mix and match female clothes yet. Just the outfits.

Really starting to worry about them turning the tables where the female PC has less clothing options than the male one this time around.

I mean they probably wouldn't do that. But it's still pretty suspicious we still haven't seen the mix and match female clothes yet. Just the outfits.

I don’t know as we’ll ever see this happen in these games. First of all, there are far more “society-approved, gender-specific” clothing options for female presenting folks IRL. Sure, male fashion has started introducing pieces with floral prints and using colors traditionally seen as “for girls”.

But at least in most Western cultures* you can’t walk into your average clothing store and find pinafores, skirts and ruffly tops marketed/merchandised for men, while the women’s section can have a variety of tops (plain, detailed, graphic tees), bottoms (skirts, pants, shorts of various lengths), and one piece dresses of various lengths in the women’s section.

Secondly, playing dress-up is still seen as a primarily “girl” activity; obviously we know that enjoying this aspect is not gender-specific, but there is a reason that “dolls” are marketed in a way that Baseball Barbie can easily wear all of Pretty Princess Barbie’s clothes, while “action figures” usually only have weapons (and the occasional belt/cape) that can be switched between two figures.

Best case scenario, GF/Nintendo makes all the options available regardless of the player’s gender. But even Animal Crossing (a game built around customizing) has only recently implemented this. And I still think we’ll see more options based on “traditional” fashion aimed at women.

* hopefully my “air quotes” indicate a general concept, and not my personal thoughts on gender norms/expectations. Also, I fully believe that gender is not binary (not that this is the correct forum to delve into real-world nuances). Also, I am American; when I refer to Western culture, it is because its what I know, not assuming that non-Western cultures (or even that all Western cultures are a monolith) don’t have similar thoughts.

Last edited:
I don’t know as we’ll ever see this happen in these games. First of all, there are far more “society-approved, gender-specific” clothing options for female presenting folks IRL. Sure, male fashion has started introducing pieces with floral prints and using colors traditionally seen as “for girls”.

But at least in most Western cultures* you can’t walk into your average clothing store and find pinafores, skirts and ruffly tops marketed/merchandised for men, while the women’s section can have a variety of tops (plain, detailed, graphic tees), bottoms (skirts, pants, shorts of various lengths), and one piece dresses of various lengths in the women’s section.

Secondly, playing dress-up is still seen as a primarily “girl” activity; obviously we know that enjoying this aspect is not gender-specific, but there is a reason that “dolls” are marketed in a way that Baseball Barbie can easily wear all of Pretty Princess Barbie’s clothes, while “action figures” usually only have weapons (and the occasional belt/cape) that can be switched between two figures.

Best case scenario, GF/Nintendo makes all the options available regardless of the player’s gender. But even Animal Crossing (a game built around customizing) has only recently implemented this. And I still think we’ll see more options based on “traditional” fashion aimed at women.

* hopefully my “air quotes” indicate a general concept, and not my personal thoughts on gender norms/expectations. Also, I fully believe that gender is not binary (not that this is the correct forum to delve into real-world nuances).
I will note that, at least from what we have seen so far. Gamefreak has gotten around this in PL:A by simply having no skirts or dresses at all. (Which granted is more likely than not more because they weren't really much of a thing in Japan at this time, I'm pretty sure.) Instead, it's all Kimonos with pants/shorts. Which is why i think both genders might just have the same clothing options, just looks slightly different (Gotta make sure the chest is covered on the female options after all)

I will note that, at least from what we have seen so far. Gamefreak has gotten around this in PL:A by simply having no skirts or dresses at all. (Which granted is more likely than not more because they weren't really much of a thing in Japan at this time, I'm pretty sure.) Instead, it's all Kimonos with pants/shorts. Which is why i think both genders might just have the same clothing options, just looks slightly different (Gotta make sure the chest is covered on the female options after all)

Nah, western fashion was totally in but not widespread. I feel like that's what the suits we've seen the female PC wear are trying to convey.

Which makes it kinda disappointing that if they go for "the same, but the chest wraps are higher" route that there won't be any big frilly hats or fancy dresses.

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom