• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

but you can switch back and forth between he/him and she/her at will.
I still want to know what review specifically mentioned this because everything I saw simply said customization isnt gender locked.
Also side note dont pokemon games like... almost never even use gendered pronouns for the protagonist anyways (In english).

I still want to know what review specifically mentioned this because everything I saw simply said customization isnt gender locked.
Also side note dont pokemon games like... almost never even use gendered pronouns for the protagonist anyways (In english).
The Good Vibes Gaming video at 5:30:

And even though it's uncommon, there's always been NPCs like "what a nice lad/girl, you are." Or "she's/he's been meaning to ask you something..." Meaning there's still pronoun triggers in the code somewhere. I mean the trailers kind of already made it clear there will be gendered pronouns regardless of customization with this:
Screenshot_20221023_101339.png

Last edited:
I hope there will be option to choose neutral pronouns. But no genderlock in customization and no more asking "are you a boy/girl" are great.

Still kinda bummed that you're stuck with the uniform, but at least there are variations.

Yeah that wording i dont see as meaning "you can change your gender" but the employee saying "You dont need to change your gender because all the customization options are available anyways"
But I may be wrong I suppose.
I don't know.

But considering the other people and outlets saying that the only things you can't change is your skintone and name, leaves changing the characters' base gender/pronouns open.

Kinda confusing. I've even edited my post on other thread, but at first I thought you would just have one androgynous character, with absolutely nothing predefined, which you would customize at will, now people are talking about predefined styles, just like previous games.

I do wonder if so many customization options 'from the start' wasn't actually just an exception for this build or maybe a consequence of it 'starting' further in the game. Also do wonder if any previewers went into detail on whether this build worked as some sort of demo where they actually had access to a character creation screen at first or if it really just went as a common pre-created save waiting for them, I think this would clear up some doubts. What I do know they said is, in addition to the game's story being apparently already a little advanced beyond a certain point, the build had pre-made teams for them to use too iirc.

I do wonder if so many customization options 'from the start' wasn't actually just an exception for this build or maybe a consequence of it 'starting' further in the game.
I feel like TPC wouldnt have provided footage of the start of game character customization menu if it was just for the previewers.

I feel like TPC wouldnt have provided footage of the start of game character customization menu if it was just for the previewers.
Rewatched it, you're right, the UI literally asks if "you're ready to start the game" with those settings. What a relief.

Speaking of, the answer options are just "change hairstyle" (which we've seen encompasses the haircut - duh - and its color), "change look" (which we've seen encompasses eyes, color contacts, eyeslash shape, eyeslash color and alike) and "ready!", there's no "change style", so at least for this screen, there really is no hint of predefined gender. Although there's also no answer to "go back and change my name", so maybe the player has chosen it before and just can't go back.

Speaking of, the answer options are just "change hairstyle" (which we've seen encompasses the haircut - duh - and its color), "change look" (which we've seen encompasses eyes, color contacts, eyeslash shape, eyeslash color and alike) and "ready!", there's no "change style", so at least for this screen, there really is no hint of predefined gender. Although there's also no answer to "go back and change my name", so maybe the player has chosen it before and just can't go back.
Due to the disclaimer at the top about the name and language, the b-roll seems to be from the start of the game. Meaning they already chose the "style" they wanted (for example: light skinned blonde female) and now its asking if they want to use the default femine character or edit it more.

If anything, you're probably locked into the pronouns you choose until you go back into the customization menu if you can change your gender at will. Because if you couldn't, it would have probably been listed with name and language in the disclamer.

Due to the disclaimer at the top about the name and language, the b-roll seems to be from the start of the game. Meaning they already chose the "style" they wanted (for example: light skinned blonde female) and now its asking if they want to use the default femine character or edit it more.

If anything, you're probably locked into the pronouns you choose until you go back into the customization menu if you can change your gender at will. Because if you couldn't, it would have probably been listed with name and language in the disclamer.
Oh...I hadn't watched the video you posted here with TPC rep's answer, just did. And, yeah, now I noticed the "B to go back" button too and understand where you're coming from. I also went back to watch some SwSh gameplay, since I couldn't remember well, and noticed the warning only says "you can't change languages after starting your game" there, but nothing else. So now I'm afraid maybe some people got it wrong as Articfox was saying. Such a disappointment

I even though I may not be able to change my school uniform I’ll still have fun customizing everything else. I really hope I can look like a boy but originally being a girl or the other way around on my other accounts. I hope it isn’t gender locked like every other Pokémon game.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom