• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

I personally like customization because putting cute outfits on my video game character is fun. I am worried about customization though, but I don’t think it’s going to disappear. I just worry it’s going to be minimal or lackluster. They’re clearly putting effort into this game, but maybe they just don’t think it’s worth having a lot of customization when you can have multiplayer with 4 people.

I understand if they do decide to cut some customization options, but I will miss it. Let’s just hope the game is good enough to look past that
If anything, the fact that these games are even more multiplayer heavy than before, should be reason to give us MORE customisation options, not less. It wouldn't make sense to use "multiplayer" as an excuse to lessen the customisation. The multiplayer aspect has me hopeful that customisation will be even better than SwSh. Being able to travel around with friends, you'd want your character to stand out more.

I am concerned that customization is going to be minimized in this game. The fact that we've really only seen the player change hats, glasses, and other accessories with them not changing the default uniform (other than various modifications) just makes me worried that customization in this game would basically be the bare minimum.

I really hope that we could change from that uniform because it's really not my cup of tea

Also I feel like nowadays games that have character creation shouldn't make it gender-locked. That way every players can make any characters that they want without restriction.

That's why I said giving the boy and the girl the same clothing is not a good idea. If it was meant to be progressive, then we should have had a single androgynous PC, with every customization facet (like lipstick, eyelash style if there is any, etc) available for everyone.

So apparently, they haven't taken cues from how Legends Arceus didn't need their uniforms. That's a huge shame, like why are they trying to monotonize player customization? Sw/Sh went above and beyond with improved customization, Legends Arceus made it even better, so now they are going to downgrade it in S/V? That doesn't make sense to me.

So apparently, they haven't taken cues from how Legends Arceus didn't need their uniforms. That's a huge shame, like why are they trying to monotonize player customization? Sw/Sh went above and beyond with improved customization, Legends Arceus made it even better, so now they are going to downgrade it in S/V? That doesn't make sense to me.
And I think that the downgrade will be permanent.

To be fair, SV was more than likely being made at the same time as Legends. It's possible SV team probably didn't know what the Legends Arceus team was doing or planning. Not to mention that Legends just seemed more like a senior staff project.

I'm really hoping that this all either has to do with the leaked build being an early one with a lot of stuff cut out, there are multiple shops for clothing items and they just found the accessory stores, or that by Gen 10 they'll reverse decision or play catch up like ORAS and Sun and Moon were.

I just hope this isn't due to that uniqlo in-game t-shirt contest controversy.

Last edited:
At this point it's just better that they just scrap customization altogether if they were going to do that.
That's what makes me think that something was missed or temporarily locked somewhere.

Other than ORAS and the limited customization options in LGPE and BDSP...it would be stupid to just get rid of full customization after 3 gens. Especially now of all the games.

To be fair, SV was more than likely being made at the same time as Legends. It's possible SV team probably didn't know what the Legends Arceus team was doing or planning. Not to mention that Legends just seemed more like a senior staff project.

I'm really hoping that this all either has to do with the leaked build being an early one with a lot of stuff cut out, there are multiple shops for clothing items and they just found the accessory stores, or that by Gen 10 they'll reverse decision or play catch up like ORAS and Sun and Moon were.

I just hope this isn't due to that uniqlo in-game t-shirt contest controversy.

What was the Uniqlo t-shirt contest controversy?

What was the Uniqlo t-shirt contest controversy?
Before Sword and Shield, they held a contest for someone to get their design in the game and that design to become a real shirt put out by Uniqlo. Long story short, the winner was disqualified because they entered a previously sold design. Something that was specifically aganst the TOS of the contest.

I’ve been avoiding the leak thread. What’s with all the doomerism?

Basically, the guy who's been dumping a lot of info has stated the only customization options are hats, glasses, and backpacks. The only shirts and pants are just variations on the school uniforms.

Well, if he's a playtester, there's a chance at the beginning of the game those are the only options for the first few towns and he didn't check for the later ones.
i think that's reasonable. i don't think it would make sense for GameFreak to restrict customization so heavily after having gradually expanded it across core titles.

Unless this is a Spain-as-seen-by-foreigners thing that swsh narrowly avoided by having someone on staff familiar with the real life country(s).

Like how France was a quaint, yet fashionable, storybookesqe land and Hawaii had random people that took money from you for no apparent reason. Maybe there's some sort of Spanish stereotype in Japan that's like "school aged kids always wear school uniforms."

Before Sword and Shield, they held a contest for someone to get their design in the game and that design to become a real shirt put out by Uniqlo. Long story short, the winner was disqualified because they entered a previously sold design. Something that was specifically aganst the TOS of the contest.

Why would they limit customization based on that?

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom