• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

Well this is the only thing I'm really not looking forward to. I don't like how NPCs have more clothing options than the player now.

They do know people can take off school uniforms.
Seeing as we are students at a school, it makes sense that we can't do too much when it comes to clothing.

Seeing as we are students at a school, it makes sense that we can't do too much when it comes to clothing.
with the confirmation of the school theme was to be expected!

It wouldn't be so bad if like...Penny, who's also presumably a student at your school, didn't exist.

Like how come she gets to wear a sweatshirt, shorts, over-skirt, and tights...while you're stuck in school uniform variants and maybe a puffy vest.

Well this is the only thing I'm really not looking forward to. I don't like how NPCs have more clothing options than the player now.

They do know people can take off school uniforms.
They managed to take both a step forward and backwards at the same time. Being able to change your eye shape is something I was really hoping for (I prefer using the sharper, more serious-looking eye shapes rather than the more rounded eyes) however they took a thing I hated from SwSh (being forced to wear a uniform for gym battles) and made it even worse by forcing us to wear a uniform for the entire game.

Considering the level of multiplayer in this game now, it makes no sense to limit the clothing options and customisation like this, they should have made it the most expansive customisation in the series so far. I only hope that despite the fact we have to wear uniforms, they still give us enough customisable uniforms to still make the customisation options quite decent (and hopefully make them not look too uniform-ish). I do get why they'd want uniforms, but realistically, if you joined an academy where you still travel across the country on journeys, it doesn't even seem necessary to have uniforms anyway (and especially not while you're constantly travelling). It's a bad decision that doesn't really make sense, but I'll get over it as long as the options are still plentiful.

I dunno man, I don't feel that player customisation has enhanced the games in any fashion. :(
i feel like they have! i do think though they haven't quite hit the right spot with it either. the implementation of customization has definitely been kinda inconsistent and hit or miss. that being said, i still think they do add value to the game, especially for players who would rather see just a little bit more of themselves in the games.

They should have just axed customization altogether.
Why? Some customisation is better than none. Also, it's almost a necessity now that you're able to actually traverse the region with other players. It'd be a terrible decision to have everyone running around the game who all look exactly the same.

especially for players who would rather see just a little bit more of themselves in the games.
Right, but in doing so you take away my ability to roleplay since I don't want to "see myself" in video games, I play them to escape from reality so I want to be someone else with a cool design and the addition of customisation has given GF the excuse to get lazier and less creative with their MC designs since they know most players will just go the extra mile to fill out that blank slate with their own design.

Right, but in doing so you take away my ability to roleplay since I don't want to "see myself" in video games, I play them to escape from reality so I want to be someone else with a cool design and the addition of customisation has given GF the excuse to get lazier and less creative with their MC designs since they know most players will just go the extra mile to fill out that blank slate with their own design.
Your ability to do that is not taken away. At all. You can still do that by keeping the original design or by customising your character to still not be like you. So you still have even more options to achieve what you prefer. And as multiplayer features get more and more extensive, having no customisation in the game makes less and less sense. If there were no customisation, all the other players running around in your game will all be exactly the same, which would be a pretty bad decision (it already looks weird to me that everyone is going to be roaming around all riding the exact same 2 legendary Pokémon).

I don't mind being limited to uniforms, but I'm pretty disappointed that the variety between the uniforms really doesn't look all that impressive. Surely we could have gotten more than just 4 different versions of the uniform (including some skirts and dresses for girls). I think 8 would have been better. But at least it doesn't look like a repeat of SuMo with colors being dependent on version. Of course, we'll have to wait and see. I do like that we can change our eye and mouth shape though.

I don't mind being limited to uniforms, but I'm pretty disappointed that the variety between the uniforms really doesn't look all that impressive. Surely we could have gotten more than just 4 different versions of the uniform (including some skirts and dresses for girls). I think 8 would have been better. But at least it doesn't look like a repeat of SuMo with colors being dependent on version. Of course, we'll have to wait and see. I do like that we can change our eye and mouth shape though.

This. Skirt or dress options would have definitely made being stuck in a uniform the whole game less disappointing. I like that there are unisex uniform options, but I don't want that to be the only option.

CMIIW, but aren't uniforms for private schools in Iberia, and seldom observed in public ones? I don't know the public/private school ratio there, but countries where uniforms are mandatory are rare, especially in Europe, and Iberia is not an exception. If there is a Romance-speaking region where uniforms are prevalent, it's Latin America, a part of the Globe Paldea is not based off. Paldea is based off Iberia. Now, unless the ones who made such a decision mistook Iberia for Latin America whenever it comes to school... I don't know why would characters would stick to uniforms, unless the schools are plot-justified private ones, or public ones but there is a reason as to why there are uniforms.

I just want to understand why did they do that, I don't want to be mean or anything.

CMIIW, but aren't uniforms for private schools in Iberia, and seldom observed in public ones? I don't know the public/private school ratio there, but countries where uniforms are mandatory are rare, especially in Europe, and Iberia is not an exception. If there is a Romance-speaking region where uniforms are prevalent, it's Latin America, a part of the Globe Paldea is not based off. Paldea is based off Iberia. Now, unless the ones who made such a decision mistook Iberia for Latin America whenever it comes to school... I don't know why would characters would stick to uniforms, unless the schools are plot-justified private ones, or public ones but there is a reason as to why there are uniforms.

I just want to understand why did they do that, I don't want to be mean or anything.
Like i said before, my only guess was that there's probably some kind of Japanese-only stereotype where they think kids in Spain never take off their uniforms. Especially after hearing that their original pitch for Galar was magical castle land until James Turner got involved. If you think about it even Kalos is still the stereotypical Japanese version of France.

Like i said before, my only guess was that there's probably some kind of Japanese-only stereotype where they think kids in Spain never take off their uniforms. Especially after hearing that their original pitch for Galar was magical castle land until James Turner got involved. If you think about it even Kalos is still the stereotypical Japanese version of France.
Or they have no idea what schools in Spain are actually like so they instead base the school in this game of schools in their own home country of Japan.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom