• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

Like i said before, my only guess was that there's probably some kind of Japanese-only stereotype where they think kids in Spain never take off their uniforms. Especially after hearing that their original pitch for Galar was magical castle land until James Turner got involved. If you think about it even Kalos is still the stereotypical Japanese version of France.
We could have had magical castle land, and because of him we got Pokémon Football instead? that hurts to read. Makes me wish he had either kept that idea to himself, or left GF several years earlier.
(Yes, magical castle land is a stereotype, but so is football, and at least one of these has charm.)

I don't think they have stereotypes about kids in Spain in particular, just that having uniforms is a fundamental part of their image of school in general, that seems unthinkable or not important to change to them. School-aged kid trainers usually wear some kind of uniform even outside of the Japan-inspired first 4 regions, and kindergarten kids have the stereotypical japanese kindergarten hats.

I dunno about Spain fashion but with the school theme of the game I'm just hoping for a hoodie under the school uniform look.

More effort on trainer customization has usually been made on the generation's launch pair than its later entries. We'll be fine. BDSP is not an indication that they suddenly don't give a flip about this feature now; the same thing happened with ORAS but then SM came back swinging.

CMIIW, but aren't uniforms for private schools in Iberia, and seldom observed in public ones? I don't know the public/private school ratio there, but countries where uniforms are mandatory are rare, especially in Europe, and Iberia is not an exception. If there is a Romance-speaking region where uniforms are prevalent, it's Latin America, a part of the Globe Paldea is not based off. Paldea is based off Iberia. Now, unless the ones who made such a decision mistook Iberia for Latin America whenever it comes to school... I don't know why would characters would stick to uniforms, unless the schools are plot-justified private ones, or public ones but there is a reason as to why there are uniforms.

I just want to understand why did they do that, I don't want to be mean or anything.

Maybe Pokemon academies have dress codes akin to service academies IRL? That's my head-cannon, anyway.

Gonna be real salty if I don't get any cute accessories and things at least when that kid in the same grade as us (Penny) doesn't even wear a uniform and gets to have a giant eevee backpack. Doesn't go to school often AND doesn't have the wear the uniform? That some favoritism bullllll shit!

I will throw hands.

Guess I'll be wearing this uniform when I play. I was thinking of going with the suspenders, but I'd rather this outfit since it has shorts and I'll be able to see my socks. Since I'm stuck to only being able to change up my accessories, I'm going to customize as much as I can. :LOL: It's also pretty close to Arven's outfit so I guess we'll be matching buddies (though I noticed his outfit actually has long pants with the vest).
image2.png
I would have liked this uniform, but I HATE the gray jacket in the Scarlet version. Seriously, if this jacket was literally any other color, I probably would have gone with this uniform. But I guess it's fine since I'll be wearing an outfit where my socks will be seen. :whistle: I actually like the nice black jacket on the Violet counterpart, so I'll probably wear it whenever I get around to playing Violet. So I guess it all works out.
image.png

But I swear, this game better have a BUNCH of accessories since we're limited to only a few uniform options.

Gonna be real salty if I don't get any cute accessories and things at least when that kid in the same grade as us (Penny) doesn't even wear a uniform and gets to have a giant eevee backpack. Doesn't go to school often AND doesn't have the wear the uniform? That some favoritism bullllll shit!

I will throw hands.
To be fair to Penny, if she doesn't go to school that often, why should she wear the uniform?

To be fair to Penny, if she doesn't go to school that often, why should she wear the uniform?
It's possible that story wise she's trying to get herself expelled by not following the dress code. But at the same time it still feels strange that the player characters are stuck in frumpy looking uniforms while she's out there dressing how she wants.

At least give us a choice like in SwSh or have a secret 4th story where if we change out of the uniform we get expelled and forced to join the evil team or something.

I don't mind being limited to uniforms, but I'm pretty disappointed that the variety between the uniforms really doesn't look all that impressive. Surely we could have gotten more than just 4 different versions of the uniform (including some skirts and dresses for girls). I think 8 would have been better. But at least it doesn't look like a repeat of SuMo with colors being dependent on version. Of course, we'll have to wait and see. I do like that we can change our eye and mouth shape though.
I'm hoping the DLC will add more uniform styles, including skirts. Gender neutral options are becoming more prevalent in schools and while that is a good thing, the keyword is option. Skirts are still very much part of the quintessential schoolgirl experience and it seems like a tremendous oversight that they were not included. Am I exaggerating? Probably, but only 4 gender neutral options for everyone reeks of, "we couldn't be bothered making different body models for the different sexes, please understand," laziness, which itself paints an overall poor view of the standards of effort that went into making the game. I'd like to hope they chose to skimp on character customization models so they could not skimp on other areas, but I've played too many of these games for that to work.

I'm hoping the DLC will add more uniform styles, including skirts. Gender neutral options are becoming more prevalent in schools and while that is a good thing, the keyword is option. Skirts are still very much part of the quintessential schoolgirl experience and it seems like a tremendous oversight that they were not included. Am I exaggerating? Probably, but only 4 gender neutral options for everyone reeks of, "we couldn't be bothered making different body models for the different sexes, please understand," laziness, which itself paints an overall poor view of the standards of effort that went into making the game. I'd like to hope they chose to skimp on character customization models so they could not skimp on other areas, but I've played too many of these games for that to work.

Yeah, I'm still disappointed that there is no option with a skirt. If they do any DLCs, it would be nice if they add new uniforms and especially some with skirts.

After PLA let me play as a ninja in a fox mask I find being restricted to a school uniform a bizarre step back.
With Sw/Sh putting us in those track suits during the major battles I wonder what exactly is going on with trainer customization.

Wait do we know for a fact there's no skirts or is it just because we haven't seen any yet?

I'M GONNA FLIP THIS TABLE, GAMEFREAK. I look bad in skirts and dresses in real life, I WANT TO BE PRETTY AND GIRLY IN MY VIDEOGAMES. Ye utter devils. Let me have this.

I’m hoping that the trainer customisation is good in general. I didn’t mind only having set outfits for BDSP since they were really great designs.

Wait do we know for a fact there's no skirts or is it just because we haven't seen any yet?

I'M GONNA FLIP THIS TABLE, GAMEFREAK. I look bad in skirts and dresses in real life, I WANT TO BE PRETTY AND GIRLY IN MY VIDEOGAMES. Ye utter devils. Let me have this.
Website says you can choose from 4 styles and I'm pretty certain they mean shorts with short sleeves, suspender trousers with long sleeves, mid-length trousers with vest and full trousers with vest and blazer, the 4 styles seen in the newest trailer and on the website.

We're not even getting separate shirts and pants? What? What in the actual fuck? Just four 'styles' of outfit that's all glued together?

I guess that means we'll be getting interesting accessories and hair styles to compensate right, Gamefreak? RIGHT? We freaking better. Taking 10 steps back without even taking a step forward, much?

Gives me vibes they're trying to go back to no customization at all. Giving us less freedom so they can say "hurr hurr look they don't like character customization anymore guess we'll stop doing it hee hee hoo hoo we're so smart and in touch with our fanbase!"

We're not even getting separate shirts and pants? What? What in the actual fuck? Just four 'styles' of outfit that's all glued together?

I guess that means we'll be getting interesting accessories and hair styles to compensate right, Gamefreak? RIGHT? We freaking better. Taking 10 steps back without even taking a step forward, much?

Gives me vibes they're trying to go back to no customization at all. Giving us less freedom so they can say "hurr hurr look they don't like character customization anymore guess we'll stop doing it hee hee hoo hoo we're so smart and in touch with our fanbase!"
LGPE and BDSP did this too, but they had more outfits to choose from.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom