• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Customization Thread

I defenintly think the Step back when it comes to Clothing is not a caseof one step forward, two steps back. But rather a fault of the setting being a school, leading to gamefreak not wanting non school uniform clothing because of that.
Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra had uniforms as well and they immediately allowed you to change out of them once the scripted bits were over. So I doubt the setting has anything to do with it.

On the other hand, if the characters at the school orientation are randomly generated and we can pick and choose our own character height. I can see scaling the clothes getting in the way. But honestly if a sliding height scale is the reason than I'd rather it not be a thing so we can at least dress however we want instead of being stuck in the same clothes the whole game.

Regardless of the reason, Penny still feels like a slap in the face. I mean story related or not, she should be in a uniform of some kind. I mean even Mela is still wearing a shredded uniform top.

Maybe after you beat the champion, you’ll graduate and be able to wear regular clothes?

To be fair, locking t-shirts to post game sounds like a very Game freak thing to do.

Not sure if I feel confident that we'll suddenly have more clothing options post game though.

Maybe they'll actually give us different outfits when DLC comes around though. Or maybe just a slightly different school blazer....

I have no doubts that however many DLC's there are they will have atleast one new outfit each, in the same vein as the dojo and explorer outfits from the swsh dlc.

Also I still hope their will be mouth options outside of "Smile, Neutrual, Frown" because that's all we have seen so far in trailers.
Trainer had what looked like a 3/W mouth but open In one of the photo mode things but it's a frown everywhere else implying that's an expression not a mouth.
C'mon an eternal smile makes them look like their are souless inside and a neutrual/frown makes them look like they are dead inside.

To be fair, locking t-shirts to post game sounds like a very Game freak thing to do.

Not sure if I feel confident that we'll suddenly have more clothing options post game though.

Maybe they'll actually give us different outfits when DLC comes around though. Or maybe just a slightly different school blazer....
Well, they did lock customizing clothes in BD/SP until you reach Veilstone.

Really sad we won't be able to use anything other than uniforms, but going by last trailer at least it looks like progress has been made regarding other customization aspects.

Last edited:
I find it... really weird just how many eye colors there seems to be, the scroll bar is super small compared to the other options we saw meaning its a long list. Especially sense most of the options will probably be weirder ones like the fire and heart options from SWSH, Yknow the ones you never see anyone use?
(I saw a youtube short claim there were 180 of them based on the scroll bar size but I am highly doubtful of that)

While it's not a dealbreaker, I really don't like the idea of uniform because of personal reasons. I hope at one point we can ditch one way or another.

Everyone come November 18th:

Screenshot_20221013-194709_YouTube.png

I've just watched some of the preview videos from Serebii and GameExplain and according to them, you can choose your hairstyle, hair color, eye shape, and eye color right from the start. No word on if you can choose your preferred uniform from the start, but at the very least this is very great to hear. I'm glad I don't have to wait to get to get to a salon and pay to get a hairstyle I want.

More importantly you dont have to have that moment where you go into a salon and come out looking completely different and no one bats an eye. Even more important here sense you can customize the very shape of your facial features.

Who else is worried we're going to either be stuck in school uniforms the entire game or have preset outfits like BDSP?

Seriously though, what do you think? Are they going to take 20 steps back and give the bare minimum or are they hiding the more elaborate clothing options for a new trailer.

The only customization options we know of seem to be:
  • School uniform length
  • Hats (including headbands)
  • Backpacks
  • Gloves
  • Hairstyles
  • Skintones
  • Contacts
Personally, as someone who enjoys mix and matching clothes. I'm a bit concerned.
Yeah. In pokemon x and y I spent all my money on clothes. :p

Isle of Armor and Crown Tundra had uniforms as well and they immediately allowed you to change out of them once the scripted bits were over. So I doubt the setting has anything to do with it.

On the other hand, if the characters at the school orientation are randomly generated and we can pick and choose our own character height. I can see scaling the clothes getting in the way. But honestly if a sliding height scale is the reason than I'd rather it not be a thing so we can at least dress however we want instead of being stuck in the same clothes the whole game.

Regardless of the reason, Penny still feels like a slap in the face. I mean story related or not, she should be in a uniform of some kind. I mean even Mela is still wearing a shredded uniform top.

However, school and school uniforms seems to be a big thing in Japan. There are pretty strong policies for school uniform.

For example: I've understood Japanese students always have to wear the school uniform when they go to school, even when there are no classes (many students go to school on these days because they have clubs).

So, I think it's likely the school uniform policy in Japan is the main reason why Gamefreak only gives uniforms a a dress option.

Last edited:
So, it’s been confirmed that there’s a single androgynous player whom we can make look like how we want. Then why displaying a male and a female player on artworks, with even default names?

So, it’s been confirmed that there’s a single androgynous player whom we can make look like how we want. Then why displaying a male and a female player on artworks, with even default names?
Because people have the wrong idea about the whole thing. Just because "are you a boy or a girl?" Has been replaced in the English translations of certain games for a few years now with "choose your style" or whatever...they aren't really as genderless or nonbinary as some people made them out to be. You're still chosing between pronouns when you choose a style, but you can switch back and forth between he/him and she/her at will. Not to mention it's still probably "choose: male or female?" in other languages.

Because people have the wrong idea about the whole thing. Just because "are you a boy or a girl?" Has been replaced in the English translations of certain games for a few years now with "choose your style" or whatever...they aren't really as genderless or nonbinary as some people made them out to be. You're still chosing between pronouns when you choose a style, but you can switch back and forth between he/him and she/her at will. Not to mention it's still "choose male or female" in other languages.
So technically the SV player characters are canonically genderfluid. I did not expect GF to do that.

So technically the SV player characters are canonically genderfluid. I did not expect GF to do that.
You could say that, yes. It's been that way in Animal Crossing for almost 3 years now and Pokémon Go has even been allowing you to switch back and forth even longer than ACNH. So I guess it's just become standard in games with character customization now.

You still can't change you're name, so that might still be a problem for someone who uses their dead name...but it's a step.

I actually wondered what would they do about pronouns. Not just pronouns, but also adjectives in Romance languages. Even though I’m not sure where would they put the pronouns’ choice. Maybe in the Settings?

I actually wondered what would they do about pronouns. Not just pronouns, but also adjectives in Romance languages. Even though I’m not sure where would they put the pronouns’ choice. Maybe in the Settings?
In Animal Crossing, it's in the character customization menu along with hair, eyes, and makeup. So I assume it's the same here.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom