• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cynthia's Garchomp depowered in BW???

Master Cynthia

Reaction score
How could the writers BW of make Cynthia's garchomp weaker back in DP she ko'ed Pauls entire team with ease as well as defeated three of the Sinnoh Elite 4 yet in BW she was damaged by Axew's Giga impact as well tieed against Caitlin, someone who has stated to have losted to her in the games how could the writers make Cynthia's most powerful and mejestic pokemon who've never been seen losing a battle seem so average?

Any attack hitting it would cause damage, though Axew didn't do any real damage. Also Garchomp never single handily knocked out any E4 members. They just never showed the rest of the battles. E4 should be on or close to the level of the champion since the champion is strongest of their region. Don't forget Caitlyn is an E4 member of Unova not Sinnoh. Different regions may be on different levels

Any attack hitting it would cause damage, though Axew didn't do any real damage. Also Garchomp never single handily knocked out any E4 members. They just never showed the rest of the battles. E4 should be on or close to the level of the champion since the champion is strongest of their region. Don't forget Caitlyn is an E4 member of Unova not Sinnoh. Different regions may be on different levels

Exactly. the damage wasn't really noticeable, so we had to assume that the attack did nothing until the truly powerful attacks, like Paul's Torterra's Frenzy Plant, hit the pokemon in the anime.

There is always the chance that Garchomp was holding back against her young opponent Axew due to his lack of experience and against Caitlin's Gothitelle because it wasn't a real battle. Seriously, IMO she is the same Garchomp that kicked Paul's ass.

I don't know what to make of this but there is always the possibllilty that Cynthia was going easy on Caitlin. Not to mention there was a 10 minute time limit which means it was only a draw to due time running out. Making it seem like an excuse to having Cynthia tie with an E4 member while still being just as powerful.

Axew didn't do anything to Garchomp.. she got right back up.

It still did damage, which was the point.
But even in the games, Lv. 1 Pokémon do damage to Lv. 100 ones, it's just not significant damage. Axew didn't do significant damage, and Garchomp was just standing there doing nothing. We all know she could have turned Axew into a small heap of ash if she had been ordered to.

I actually like that they aren't making Cynthia and her Garchomp some unstoppable force. Just because she's the champion doesn't mean she has to be perfect each time. But yeah, it's not like she got weaker. She's just holding back.

Axew didn't do anything to Garchomp.. she got right back up.

It still did damage, which was the point.
All attack does damage !
And we are talking about Giga impect which is a very powerful attack!
Also , Cynthia & Caitlin didn't tied! They have a 10 Minute time limit and it run out before they could end their battle!
Caitlin is E4 Member after all! Even Flint's Infernape cause various damage to Cynthia's Garchomp!
Plus , Cynthia's Garchomp isn't Ash's Pikachu who get's depowered in the beginning of every single series.
Noone likes that ether !

I'd pity Cynthia if she could easily win every single battle. Caitlin gave her a run for her money (if Cynthia held back, then so did Caitlin), which made perfect sense.

Basically this discussion is interesting because as someone mentioned before Garchomp is not Pikachu a powerful Pokemon that gets depowered each season.

To me its obvious that Garchomp was holding back against Axew. I mean come on any of Paul's Pokemon from that battle with Cynthia could have beaten Axew in one hit back then considering they were "weaker" than they were at the end of the series (after their training for the Lake Acuity battle and the Sinnoh League) Ursaring, Murkrow, Torterra and possibly Chimchar. Considering that both it and Axew get unrealistic power boosts from out of nowhere says a lot about both of their development and power.

However, unlike Axew, Chimchar actually has a back story explaining its power (well I suppose anyway, in Glory Blaze, Paul talks about it but they never really bring up HOW Chimchar or its evolutions could possess such power unless its that "friendship" garbage for the sake of a children's show).

Anyway, Garchomp always used its FINS to defend against attacks does anyone remember that???

Bronzong's Flash Cannon, Torterra's Frenzy Plant, Chimchar's Fire Spin, Weavile's Blizzard, etc. more often than not if Garchomp didn't dodge a move it would use its fins to block an attack.

Axew used Giga Impact and Garchomp just stood there for a reason. I believe that since Axew's other attacks (minus the unused Outrage) proved pretty much ineffective at all against it, Garchomp and probably Cynthia too assumed that even Giga Impact would do little damage.

However, both were fooled with it made contact and knocked it over. Though I don't think it did that much damage considering its a first stage Pokemon using a move like Giga Impact that is when Cynthia decided to get serious and deliever a final attack. However, when she backed off I'm thinking it was just to show Axew AND Iris that we could have taken you out at anytime but we were BOTH holding back.

Just look at the expression on Axew's face when Garchomp's attack was about it hit. Axew looked like it was about to crap on itself. Like I said before, I'm thinking that since Cynthia gave no commands to begin with in order to judge Axew's power she thought she had the battle in her control but only after the unexpected Giga Impact did she decide to end it.

Despite Garchomp being as powerful as it is, a move like Giga Impact would knock it over if left unchecked, I mean without even trying to block it with its fins she left herself wide open to take the full-force of the attack.

The exhibition match was pretty much a contest battle to me for the enjoyment of the fans. Like the DP contests, its more about flashy moves and making attacks explode into fireworks more than simply defeating your opponent. So, that's my thought on this discussion.

I guess that Axew gets Experience Points by Iris for every footstep she takes like it was in daycare from being in Iris' hair lol

For everyone who talks about her going easy on Caitlin... she herself said she'd give it her all.

It's not impossible for Frontier Brain turned E4 to challenge a champion, espescially when she's implied to be the strongest E4 member of Unova(game data has her as the fourth member, I believe, and Marshal himself confesses to being one of the weaker members).

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom