• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, surprisingly a lot of Pokemon keep their names or have translated names for every generation. This wasn't really too much a surprise, and I believe there will probably be a lot of 5th gen that will keep their names because they're obvious. (Crimgan, Wargle, ulgamoth, gearl, swana, chirami, Elfun, Pendora, Muna, Musharna, Gigias... etc for some of my guesses)

Doesn't anyone notice something else about their names? Correct letter casing! Finally! Zorua:-D not ZORUA:conangry:

Hm, so they've kept the Japanese names? I'm not too surprised, considering everyone expected it in the first place.

That AND correct capitalization? This generation just keeps getting better and better!

They've had that since HgSs.

Wrong. The names said things like TOTODILE. Now it's Totodile. This is a very nice improvement. I was getting really annoyed by the CAPSLOCK format.

Wrong. The names said things like TOTODILE. Now it's Totodile. This is a very nice improvement. I was getting really annoyed by the CAPSLOCK format.
They've changed it to normal text in-dialogue in those games. Even items like Ragecandybar get spaces between them when spoken in dialogue as 'Rage candy bar'.

Doing that for the battle screen doesn't really mean anything since its not dialogue. It's not like its so incredibly out of place.

So yeah, they've been properly casing names since HgSs.

Daikenki said:
^trademark entry

I'm aware of that. But, officially trademarked romanization does not necessarily equal correct romanization. It does in most cases, yeah, but not always.

Moon Knight said:
What was wrong with Sharpen Claws and Trickery?

It seems like there's a 12 character limit when it comes to attack names. "Sharpen Claws" is 13 characters.

They could have pulled an AncientPower on us and omitted the space, but I guess they didn't want to do that for whatever reason.

Last edited:
They've changed it to normal text in-dialogue in those games. Even items like Ragecandybar get spaces between them when spoken in dialogue as 'Rage candy bar'.

Doing that for the battle screen doesn't really mean anything since its not dialogue. It's not like its so incredibly out of place.

So yeah, they've been properly casing names since HgSs.

True, but the non-caps lock Pokémon names begin Pokémon Black and White.

Great, even though I wasn't expecting any named changes for the Zorua line. Now, I wonder if any other pokes will keep they're names. I say Emonga, since its this gen's static rodent.

地獄にしまった。

I fully understand Dogasu's point. He and some of you others probably know more about the games and Pokémon overall than I ever could. But it's a moot point. The official romanization was made long ago, but I'll still render the the Japanese name as Zoroa.

However, making the English names in every way the same wasn't what I had in mind. I really thought they'd use the double R from Zoroark's root word (el zorro).

Well, it's final. Zoroa is now Zorua and Zorroark is now Zoroark. No point in complaining anymore.

On another note, official Pokémon names in mixed case, Yay.

Last edited:
This in kinda cool, I like the name Zoroark, as for the moves .... errrr don't care!

The proper casing though ... FINALLY! Now it won't look silly when you encounter a wild RATTATA! ... or Youngster Joey's RATTATA, even if it is top freaking percentage

e1c10y.png

^trademark entry
Gamefreak seems to be well aware of the difference between the kana and the romaji. It doesn't matter.

Thank you.

And I'm glad to see this. Now I'm just waiting for the movie advertisement to begin.

... Man this site is slow. I found this out like... yesterday at noon. xD

I'm glad they kept their Japanese names as well. Anything else is bound to be uninspired and moronic to something as cool as those two pokemon.

I figured this would happen, and I for one, am glad. GF made a smart move here. If they tried to change the names...I'd hate to see what they came up with.

... Man this site is slow. I found this out like... yesterday at noon. xD

I'm glad they kept their Japanese names as well. Anything else is bound to be uninspired and moronic to something as cool as those two pokemon.

This site relies on its userbase submitting news stories. You're welcome to help out the next time you come across something interesting - Bulbanews is always looking for writers. Even if you don't know the correct formatting at first, we can help you with that :)

This site relies on its userbase submitting news stories. You're welcome to help out the next time you come across something interesting - Bulbanews is always looking for writers. Even if you don't know the correct formatting at first, we can help you with that :)

Ooh, I didn't know that.
How are you handling the release of such information, anyway? I think you guys definitely don't want TOO MUCH leaking, especially after the event with PokeBeach getting that warning from Nintendo's legal dept., but there is already a lot of information out there about Gen 5, espcially in terms of how the competitive metagame is shaping up for this gen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom