• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

Status
Not open for further replies.

BulbaBot

Dreams of electric Bulbasaur
Reaction score
Dark foxes move to international arena: Zorua, Zoroark to keep Japanese names

The official Pokémon website has revealed two more new Pokémon to international audiences. Zorua and Zoroark will be keeping their Japanese names.

Read more on Bulbanews

I don't really count "Zorua" as it keeping its Japanese name. The character's name is Zor(r)oa, not Zorua.

Still, it's good enough, I guess.

When I saw 157 new monsters, I was surprised, because I thought there are only 156. I am not sure which of Meloetta or Hihidaruma's other forme is considered a different species. While "Tricky Fox" does sound milder, it probably makes more sense.

Thanks for reading.

When I saw 157 new monsters, I was surprised, because I thought there are only 156. I am not sure which of Meloetta or Hihidaruma's other forme is considered a different species.

I miscounted. Apologies. The article has been updated with the correct tally.

Hooray! I was worried these two would get dumb English names.

It is. But it's an incorrect romanization, like "Prasle."

Actually, I think it's the other way around. "Rua" is Irish for "red-haired", which applies to Zorua. It is also an Arabic given name meaning "dream" or "vision", which could relate to Zorua's Illusion ability. Both of which are pronounced "roo-ah", not "roh-ah". "Roa" doesn't seem to mean anything relevant, according to Wiktionary; it would appear that it's actually the katakana which is incorrect. Of course, that's assuming that the second word is rua/roa and not a word that contains those letters; in that case it might come from a longer word that is spelled with a "u" that's pronounced like an "o", hence the differing spellings. I'm not a linguist, so I went with Occam's Razor and assumed it was rua/roa, but what the hell do I know... although it would be an amusing coincidence that "rua" happens to have two relevant meanings if it's not part of the name origin.

Also, I agree with Axxonn. I'm glad Zorua and Zoroark kept their names. Having said that, "Foul Play" is marginal, and I refuse to accept "Hone Claws".

Actually, I don't have a problem with Foul Play, I just needed an excuse to make that reference (cookie if you get it). But seriously, Hone Claws? That is, in the words of the immortal Strong Bad (may he rest in peace), "different, and lame, and differently lame". What was wrong with Claw Sharpen, exactly? Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it.

Also, did anyone else notice that the Pokémon's names aren't in all caps? Do you think they've stopped putting names in all caps now, or are they just nicknamed that way (don't know why they would be, just an observation).

Hehe...Foul play, huh...?

Yay, they kept the "u" in Zorua! Makes him all the more cuter, if you ask me. I don't mind the attack names. It's not like "Claw Sharpen" and "Hone Claws" have different meanings. D:

In both cases, you're getting your claws ready. In Japan, it emphasizes "attack" of the stat raising. In the US, you're presumably watching your foe carefully from behind a menacing stance with your claws, emphasizing the "accuracy".

Does "honing" not mean "aiming"? Or did I silly just now? Either way, that is how I see it. It's not a bad name at all.

Finally, the controversy has ended, only for a new one to take it's place. Many suspected that this poke would be like Lucario and have it's name kept. I'm kinda surprised we got it with no spelling alteration. That is now 7 named pokes, bringing the 500 to America at last. Although I am surprised that pokemon.com has not taken this opportunity to say there is another movie with these pokes in it. Then again, if I remember how it works, there are times they've revealed the pokemon before the movie associated to it. I just don't remember how much time was between those instances.

♥告げ口心臓♥ said:
it would appear that it's actually the katakana which is incorrect.

The katakana clearly says ゾロア. If the name was meant to be "Zorua," the name would have been written out as ゾルア, not ゾロア. It's a completely different vowel sound.

But, "Zorua" has already been put out there. Even if someone decided that they messed up, it's way too late to do anything about it now. We're stuck with that lousy romanization forever.

The katakana clearly says ゾロア. If the name was meant to be "Zorua," the name would have been written out as ゾルア, not ゾロア. It's a completely different vowel sound.

But, "Zorua" has already been put out there. Even if someone decided that they messed up, it's way too late to do anything about it now. We're stuck with that lousy romanization forever.

Messed up? Well, it might be. But, should we consider pronouncing Zorua as if it wasn't Japanese? I wonder how it sounds. It might tell us whether it was really meant to be romanised this way or the other way.

e1c10y.png

^trademark entry
Gamefreak seems to be well aware of the difference between the kana and the romaji. It doesn't matter.

Oh thank god they kept the original names for them; i'm still getting used to oshawott..

im really glad they kept the names. Its not that hard to say them, anyway and everyone will catch on when the movie airs stateside anyway.

Ehh, I won't. I haven't watched any new animé since approximately 2001. Still, I agree, they're not that hard to say.

So Zorua is irish? yay :D
BTW, rua is actually just red in irsh. XD

But I thought we already knew Zoroark kept its Japanese name?

Wait a minute, doesn't this technically mean they have sub-legendary status, because if I remember correctly only such Pokemon get their names exactly the same in all the regions(ESRB/PAL/Cero).

Only legends and pokes like them, eh? I'm going to use the fourth gen as an example. There are actually too many to want to list them all.

Luxio
Roserade
Pachirisu
Buizel/Floatzel (sort of, their romanization was Buoysel and Flowsel)
Cherrim
Skuntank (again, sort of)
Gabite (this actually is a pseudo legend, but it's the only stage that kept it's name. There are other pseudo legends I know did not keep their name.)
Riolu/Lucario (This is the closest likeness to Zorua/Zoroark, as this was also in a movie, but none of them are even close to being legends)
Hippopotas (sort of)
Skorupi/Drapion (sort of on first one, may be true kept name on second)
Togekiss (I think this one was kept by the virtue of the line it came from also kept their names for the most part)
Porygon-Z (duh)
Rotom

My point is made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom