• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

DarthWolf's Ultimate Pokémon Adventures

Reaction score
Welcome to DarthWolf's Ultimate Pokémon Adventures!

This thread will be where I record all my adventures through this franchise marathon!
Now you might wonder what this marathon contains. For that I'll give a brief history of myself and pokemon.

Growing up as a kid I never owned any of the main series pokemon games. I used to have a gameboy colour when I was young, I even had Pokemon Puzzle Challenge (the GBC counterpart to Puzzle League which is basically a Tetris Attack game). Yet for some reason never got the main games.
Ever since I was 2 y/o I was watching pokemon (apparantly my mom thought is was fine at that age). Since then and to this very day pokemon has been a huge part of my life. I had a less active period during generation V but it never left me.
My first first proper console and game, what I consider the real start of my gaming passion, was the GameCube bundled with Pokemon Colosseum. I've played it a lot, restarted many times over (even emulated it 1-2 years ago since I don't own the console anymore) yet I've never finished the game.
I was never allowed to have the GBA when I asked for it as I already had enough consoles to play with. Somewhere in my early teenage years my family got a DSi and I was allowed to pick a game or 2 for it. The main option being Pokemon Platinum. This was my first core pokemon game. I never got far in it and, for some reason just like Colosseum, I gave it a break and when I got back to it I restarted. (There are more possible reasons that I can think of but I won't go through that unless you're interested).

The point is, I never really played the main series while I actually should, given my love and history for pokemon. When gen I released on the Virtual Console I took my chance to start it the way it should have been done, from the beginning.
I bought a 3DS since I didn't have one yet but was planning to at some point. Bought all 3 games (you got to at least own them all) and together with some friends we started playing through them. I started playing Red. It's the first of the 2 original western games (in conventional naming order), is also the original in the japanese version, but mostly it is my favorite colour and I prefer Charizard over Blastoise. Oh and Red has Arcanine which I love!

My friends complained to me about my playstyle and how I was way slower than they were. Having a similar goal in mind, I wanted to play the franchise completely to the ultimate completion. Which meant creating a living dex, which made me catch each mon multiple times. I also wanted to keep each pokemon viable for use so I could switch to any one of them whenI wanted to, like preparing for the next gym battle. Which led to lots more grinding which led to getting slowed down which led to me restarting and not catching each pokemon multiple times...

In the end I realised that my friends were probably right. I needed a different approach while still accomplishing my goal and ultimately have a great experience. Which I will now record and share here.

It is most ironic how I decide to start this adventure today, April 1st. Not because of April Fool's, but because it is the same day that Satoshi / Ash Ketchum started his journey.

So what does this journey for me contain and what are the rules applied? I present you, the Master Quest!

RULESNOTES
GOAL: Complete all main and side series gamesI couldn't exclude Colosseum from this list so I added that with all the side games since those are a similar experience and can help with / are required for the complete dex
All the games will be played in release order:
  • Red and Blue
  • Yellow
  • Stadium
  • Gold and Silver
  • Stadium 2
  • Crystal
  • Ruby and Sapphire
  • Colosseum
  • FireRed and LeafGreen
  • Emerald
  • XD: Gale of Darkness
  • Diamond and Pearl
  • Battle Revolution
  • Platinum
  • HeartGold and SoulSilver
  • Black and White
  • Black 2 and White 2
  • X and Y
  • Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire
  • Sun and Moon
  • Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon
  • Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
  • Sword and Shield
Only in Europe did Stadium release before Yellow through delay so I'm keeping it to the original order
Sword and Shield are basically guaranteed that they will be out by the time I reach them
Bank (and Transporter) are not listed as they are a storage side game only and will be used whenever
The older storage side games are excluded since they serve no purpose anymore
Dream Radar counts as part
of Black 2 and White 2
Games like Mystery Dungeon or Ranger are Spin-off games, not side games
Play every game legallyThis means no emulation
Since Stadium and Stadium 2 are quite old and not compatible with the other games (since I'll be playing gen I and II on Virtual Console) these are excluded from this rule
Paired games, like Red and Blue, count as 1 gameI will play one of the 2 and use the other when necessary for things like dex completion
I may only progress to the next game once the current game is completedThis includes post game
For the pokedex this means catching as much as is possible in that game
I may only progress to the next generation once all games in the current generation have obtained a complete national dexPokemon that don't count towards the official completion like Mythicals aren't required but preferred if possible
The quest is completed once the final game has a living dexAll other games don't require a living dex as that would take too long and add nothing to the goal
Bank is allowed to contain the living dex for storage reasons
Trading is allowed between games from the same generation when necessaryThis will be done post game to make the main journey in the game have more impact on choices (like starters) and to not use pokemon you're not "supposed" to use
Since this is my challenge I will trade with myself, directly or indirectly
Transferring pokemon from previous generations are allowedThis can only be done from post game onwards
This is mainly for safekeeping my old pokemon
It is allowed for dex completion purposes only when necessary
Trading back and forth for trade evolution is allowed wheneverAny method is allowed
Nicknaming is requiredAlthough this can be a bit of work it will make each pokemon more personal and unique from each game they are caught
Using external sources, like Bulbapedia, is limitedFull walkthroughs are not allowed
Encounters may only be based on in-game info until post game dex completion
Info like moves, movesets, evolution and other mechanic info is allowed
With this the adventure won't feel like following a guide and it will be more of a surprise when I encounter something new wile still being able to know hidden game mechanic details

As you might have noticed, this is an open thread so feel free to comment.
With that out of the way, let's get started!

I should do this as well...

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress, if you ever need a trading buddy, I can help.

Ok let me first reply to a few comments here.
Soul Silver is the best and must be played with care (and a Wooper)

That is all gl hf.

EDIT: Oh and you should totally do a Nuzlocke at some point if it's getting easy. Those are fun and evil at the same time :b
Plays HG

Thanks nono. Perhaps I can do a nuzlocke in like a 3rd version but it still needs to work with my dex goal

I will say though, a livingdex for each game will be so much more effort than I could probably put in xD More power to you though, Darth.
It's only a LIVING dex at the end, each individual game wil just have a normal complete dex, living would be too much work without getting any new results from it.
I did something like this...IDK if you remember my Dreamlocke. It was a blast to play all the games back to back. It really helped me enjoy the adventures,

I want to follow along with you, bt yea. I'd like to see this on stream or via recording if you can~!
So I've discussed this with ME over the last 24 hours and I can now officially say that this will be a regular stream in the bulbagarden twich channel. Coming soon!:lapras:

Plays HG

Thanks nono. Perhaps I can do a nuzlocke in like a 3rd version but it still needs to work with my dex goal
I suppose Heart Gold is the next best. It does lack some Lugia in the main plot, but it does have Growlithe instead of Vulpix so that's good. Def prefer a beautiful Arcanine over Nintetales (I like Ninetales too, don't worry, Nintetales fans).

I believe Kantonian is indeed the word used yea, but I'd have to agree with AE and say Alolan is better than Kantonian. There's a reason why Alolan Ninetails and Vulpix are my fav mon #3 & #4 while their Kantonian versions are only #5 & #6

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom