• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

MATURE: Dawn of Courage (Chapter 221 Up)

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language)

The King of Champions Tournament

It had been a few days since the party fought and defeated the Owlbeast. They were nearing a large town, which had a massive building in the center of it. Sir Reginald was guiding the party, looking at the notes he had been given.

“Okay, here’s the deal,” he said. “The town we’re about to enter is Colisemus, home of the King of Champions tournament. We know that a Goddess Key is up for grabs as part of the grand prize. While I doubt the sponsors and hosts of the tournament will just give us the Goddess Key, we might as well ask and tell them why we need it. Otherwise we’ll need to enter the tournament in order to win it.”

Elizabetta’s antennae drooped, “So we’ll most likely have to do things the hard way in order to get what we need. And even then there’s a good chance we could fail, since this is a competition with could attract some of the toughest fighters in the world. We need to be ready for that possibility.”

Nova nodded, “Yes, but we can’t give up without a fight. Even I know that. We’re just gonna have to figure things out as we go. Now, does anyone here know anything about the King of Champions tournament?”

Nina shook her head, “No, sadly, we don’t. Even I lack the knowledge on this tournament. We’re gonna have to wing it and work with what information we get from the tournament staff themselves. But we’re good at improvising and finding workarounds to our problems so I have confidence we’ll figure something out. We just need to keep our eyes on the prize and hope for the best.”

Zeeker nodded, “Yes, that’s the best course of action, since this whole tournament will be a mystery to us. We’re just gonna have to do our best and hope we can pull off a win, since the competition will be pretty stiff. But like you said, Nina, we’re pretty good at thinking on our feet and improvising with what we’ve got so we should be okay.”

The party nodded before entering the town. The town, or rather city, was large, full of various stores, booths, and tents. And in the center of the city was a massive building that took up a good two-thirds of the city. The party made their way to the center building, where a pair of women in bunny girl outfits were standing.

Sir Reginald walked up to one, “Excuse me, miss. Can you direct us to whoever is hosting this tournament? We need to talk to them.”

The bunny girl nodded, “Yes, that’s easy. Go inside the arena, take a right, go up a short flight of stairs, and you’ll see a room. That’s Jake’s office. He runs the tournament alongside his brother, Eddy. Talk to them to get any information you need.”

“Thank you.”

The party entered the arena building, found the staircase, walked up it, and found the office. Sir Reginald gently knocked on the door. The sound of footsteps could be heard before the door opened, revealing a member of the Gallop Clan. He had steel grey fur, a black mane with a matching tail, green eyes, and a strong build. He was dressed in a warrior’s tunic with jean-like pants, fingerless gloves, and a headband.

“Hello, can I help you?” he asked.

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes. Are you Jake? Or Eddy? We need to ask you some questions.”

The horseman replied, “I’m Jake. And if you need any questions answered then you came to the right guy. Please, step into my office and I’ll gladly answer anything you need to know.”

The party entered the office. It was a large office with a table in the center, a couple of bookshelves, and some other items on the walls. Jake took a seat on the chair behind the table.

“Quite the interesting assortment of individuals you are,” the horseman observed. “Anyway, what do you need to know.”

The party explained who they were and what they needed. Jake listened attentively to their tale. After a few minutes the horseman heaved a sigh.

“I understand where you’re coming from, noble Demon King’s champion party. However, I cannot simply give you the Goddess Key. Believe me, I want to, especially if it’ll help end this war with Muu. But, sadly, the Goddess Key is the special item in this year’s grand prize, along with the usual prizes. Every year we offer a new item along with the usual prizes, and the Goddess Key is this year’s item. So after all the advertising we’ve done we simply cannot give you the key even though it’s crucial to your mission. I’m afraid you’re going to have to enter the tournament itself in order to win it fair and square. Sorry.”

Zeeker sighed, “We were afraid of that. So, on that note, how do we enter?”

Jake replied, “That’s easy. I’m both the sponsor and the host so I can enter your names and group into the tournament bracket. Fortunately, we do have some spaces open, as this year’s tournament hasn’t attracted as many competitors because of the lingering threat of Muu. So we have an opening for your party to enter and I can take care of that.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Then please enter us in the tournament. We need that Goddess Key, and if the only way to get it is to win it, then we’ll do just that.”

Jake smiled, “Good, I’m glad you understand the situation. Give me a second.”

He walked over to a cabinet, took out some papers, walked back to his desk, and took a pen out of its holder.

“Okay, you are the Demon King’s champion party. Please give me your names.”

Sir Reginald replied, “Our names are Sir Reginald, Nova, Nina, Kettu, Van, Zeeker, Angelo, and Elizabetta.”

Jake jotted it down, “…Okay, got it. And I assume you’ll use your party’s current title as your team name?”

“Yes, that’s fine.”

Jake made a few more notes on the paper before saying, “Okay, done. I’ll submit this entry form to my staff so they can get your names into the brackets. Now, before I submit your forms, do you have any other questions that you’d like to ask?”

Nova replied, “Yes. How does this tournament work and what are the rules and terms of the different battles?”

“Well, for starters, the tournament as a whole is a knockout tournament. Whenever a party loses a round they are done. We have four arenas inside this building, and each one has a different gimmick. There is the Trial by Fire Hall, Null Magic Hall, Survival Hall, and the Hall of Champions. You need to complete the first three challenges before you can fight in the Hall of Champions, where the final battle will take place. Each arena has a different type of battling style and rules. For example, in the Trial by Fire Hall you select three of your teammates and you fight against another team one-on-one on platforms suspended over lava. Whenever a person is defeated on either team both parties rotate to their next available fighter. Whichever team is able to defeat the other wins and moves onto the next round. In that arena, ranged fighters are considered the most ideal, since while you can use the various floating platforms to move in closer to attack it’s better to have attacks and abilities that fight from a range. Also, as a final note, you only fight in each arena once if you win the round, so you won’t fight in the Trial by Fire Hall twice, and each arena and what teams will be fighting will be chosen by lotto. Each arena’s gimmick will be explained to you before each battle. But that should give you the gist of how this works.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Thank you, that does explain things quite nicely. When does the tournament start officially?”

Jake replied, “Not for another three days so you have time to prepare and train if need be. We offer great weapon shops both outside and inside the arena so if you want to upgrade your equipment then do so. And competitors get to stay at the inn free, since this is a multi-day event. And you don’t have to worry about any casualties or injuries, as we’ve got some of the best healers in the kingdom here, and we have a 100 percent safety rating. The rest will be explained as the tournament progresses. I hope that helped.”

Nova nodded, “Yes, we’ve got the information down. Thank you for explaining things to us, as this is kind of a first for us.”

Jake smiled, “Happy to help. If you have any other questions you can either ask me, my brother Eddy, or any of the staff for any details you need. Now, let me submit this entry form so you can be put into the brackets. Like I said the tournament starts in three days so you have time to prepare and take care of anything needed before the fighting can begin. Good luck.”

The party nodded and left the office and returned outside.

“Let’s check out the weapon shops and see if they can offer anything interesting,” Angelo suggested. “It might not hurt for some of us to upgrade our weapons. I know my rapier is getting a tad dull.”

Elizabetta looked at her boomerangs, “And my boomerangs could use replacing.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Fine with me. We might as well check things out and get a feel for the arena before the fighting begins. So let’s go and see if we can upgrade our gear before the tournament starts.”

The party wandered around the city, checking out the various shops and weapon stores, purchasing anything they felt would be needed. Soon it was starting to get late so the party made their way toward the inn. After explaining they were competitors to the innkeeper, who took a moment to verify the information, they were given free rooms. They retreated to their rooms to rest until dinner.

Nova sat down at the desk and took out his crafting tools and materials, saying, “I might as well do some crafting, since we have time. Maybe I can open my shop while we’re waiting for the tournament to begin.”

Zeeker, who was checking out his new claw weapons, replied, “That’s a good idea. And I’m certain some of the competitors would be interested in your unique magical accessories. And since we asked one of the staff about items like magical accessories in the tournament, which we’ve confirmed are allowed, then I’d bet the various warriors and such would love some of your wares.”

Kettu nodded, “Indeed. And it wouldn’t hurt to get a few extra coins for the road. Especially since we just spent some decent cash on new weapons for Nina, Zeeker, Angelo, Elizabetta, and myself. Having a bit more pocket change for later on would be ideal. Plus I’m certain that, by now, even the warriors in this kingdom have heard of your magical accessory shop. So they’d probably want to buy some for both the tournament and the road ahead.”

“My thoughts exactly,” Nova said. “I just hope that we don’t have to deal with any other issues like Dominic. We’ve got enough to worry about right now so the fewer headaches we have to contend with the better.”

“Fair point,” Zeeker said. “So let’s hope that simply winning the tournament is the only thing we need to worry about.”

Nova resumed working on his magical accessories while the rest of the group relaxed. Soon dinner was served, prompting the party to go downstairs and eat. After clearing their plates they returned to their rooms to rest. They knew that they had to be ready for the fights ahead in hopes of winning the Goddess Key. Little did they know that a lone figure was standing outside of the arena, eyes gleaming.

The next day the party was running errands, still prepping for the King of Champions tournament. They had learned a couple of other teams had entered since they did, ensuring that the tournament would have a full bracket.

Nova and Nina had set up his magical accessory shop, both to make some extra coins and to see if they could fish for any information regarding Muu or their soon-to-be opponents. It wasn’t long before some customers would be attracted to their wares.

A group of warriors consisting of a human swordsman, a female elven thief, and what looked like a male axe-wielding naga soon spotted the duo’s shop. Curious, they approached the blanket where Nova and Nina were sitting.

The human swordsman asked, “Excuse me, but are you selling magical accessories?”

Nova nodded, “Yes. These are my custom creations. Would you like to take a look?”

The elven thief replied, “Wait. Aren’t you the Demon King’s champion? I’ve heard from my fellow elves that you not only helped us during the King’s Hunt Festival but also sell special magical accessories on the side. If so then it’s said you’ve got some very unique creations that no one else has. Plus you don’t have that annoying one item per person, per day rule that most other magical accessory merchants have. Boys, let’s purchase something, as this may be our only chance.”

The trio nodded and began examining Nova’s wares, asking questions every so often about certain items. Soon they had settled on some items.

Nova flipped through his notebook, “Okay, that’s one Zephyr Charm, one Muscle Ring, one Gale Glove, three Belladonna Rings, one Heal Armlet, and one Splash Armlet. In total that comes to 111 silver, or one gold and 11 silver, whichever is more convenient.”

The trio exchanged looks before the swordsman replied, “You have a deal.”

He paid Nova one gold and 11 silver, which he pocketed, before the trio of warriors equipped themselves with their new magical accessories.

“I feel stronger already,” the male naga said.

“And these items were so affordable,” the female elf chimed in. “Especially compared with other magical accessory merchants. And the quality leaves nothing to be desired. So it’s true what my fellow elves have said about you.”

The swordsman then asked, “By the way, why are you here?”

Nina replied, “We entered the tournament because we need something from the grand prize. I won’t say what but it could make or break the war with Muu if we’re able to get it. That’s all you need to know. In any case, spread the word about our shop, as we’re open for business to anyone, be it travelers or participants. Unless you’re name is Dominic Flight, that is. He’s the only one blacklisted from our shop. But please spread the word about our wares to others, as we take great pride in our work and they may not get another chance to purchase our unique goods.”

The trio exchanged a nod before moving on. It wasn’t long before more people came to the duo’s magical accessory shop, eager to purchase some new items. For about an hour and a half the duo bartered with the various people and warriors that wanted to buy their unique creations. Soon the last buyer walked away, new item in tow, allowing the duo to rest for a bit.

“So far so good,” Nina said. “We’ve made a decent profit at this point. And we managed to fish for a few rumors and bits of information, including some dirt on what teams will be participating in the King of Champions tournament. After all, knowledge on the enemy is crucial to succeeding in our endeavor.”

Nova nodded, taking a moment to refreshen his display, “You said it, Nina. At least we’re getting the general idea of what teams will be facing. Hopefully we can use that information to come out on top and win. Now, enough of this, as I see a few more customers approaching.”

Nina looked up to see a cluster of people approach their magical accessory shop, curious and eager to see what the duo had to offer. For the next hour Nova and Nina sold more of their creations to the various travelers, warriors, and mages. Soon the last mage walked away, new trinket in their possession, allowing the duo to relax a bit.

A familiar voice chuckled, “Looks like you two are killing it again.”

The duo turned to see the rest of the party walk up.

“Hey, gang,” Nova said. “Completed all your errands?”

Van nodded, “Yes, we’re finished. We think we’ve gotten enough for both the tournament and road ahead. Why don’t you two pack it up for now so you can take a break and get some lunch? I’m certain you could use some refreshments after all that.”

Nina nodded, “Sure, sounds good. And since we have another day before the tournament starts maybe we can open up our shop a second time while we’re at it. Anyway, let’s pack it up, beloved, and get some food in our bellies.”

Nova nodded and began packing up his magical accessory shop. Soon he was done, strapping his Digi-Pack back on, and the party went to one of the local restaurants to eat. They knew that the tournament would be intense but were determined to win.

Next Chapter: Trial by Fire Hall

That's all for today. And some trivia, this event is an expy of the Contest of Champions from Breath of Fire 3, complete with horseman brothers as sponsors (albeit they're good guys compared to Balio and Sunder). Tune in next time to see what our heroes face.

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language, mild violence)

Trial by Fire Hall

The next couple of days seemed to go by quickly. Soon it was the start of the King of Champions tournament. The various participants were ready, having spent the time training and preparing for the event. The party had gathered with the rest of the participants, awaiting the start of the tournament.

Jake soon stepped up onto a podium in front of the arena entrance. Next to him was another Gallop Clansman, most likely his brother. He had the same build as Jake, only he had brown and white spotted fur, a red mane with a matching tail, and was wearing a sleeveless vest with no shirt, black jean-like pants, and green gloves.

Jake stated, “May I have your attention, please? Thank you for waiting. We can now begin the King of Champions tournament! As always, it is my great honor to open this event. Now, let us review the rules. You cannot kill your opponent, only knock them out, as we want to keep this clean. You can’t sabotage your opponent, either, so anything like poison or attempted assassinations are out of the question. And you cannot reenter the tournament if you’re knocked out of it. This is to ensure fair play and everyone the same chance to win the grand prize. Now, without further ado, it is time to begin the tournament! And may the best team win!”

The various participants cheered, eager to begin. After a bit the groups were sorted via lotto into their various arenas.

Nova said, “Well, it looks like we’re in the Trial by Fire Hall first. That’s gonna be a doozy, as we’ll be battling over lava. Makes me wonder how they are able to have a pool of lava inside an arena?”

Sir Reginald shrugged, “Who knows? Maybe it’s magical or something, like what the Lava Elves can produce? Anyway, let’s go to the locker room where we can go over the rules and decide on party members we’ll choose for this round.”

The party nodded and started to explore the area, trying to find the arena. After about ten minutes they found their locker room. As they entered they saw another woman in a bunny girl suit standing before the doorway to the arena proper.

“So you’re the Demon King’s Champion Team, correct?” she asked.

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, that is correct.”

The bunny girl replied, “Allow me to explain the rules in case you don’t know. The Trial by Fire Hall is a rotation knockout battle. You select three members of your team and they will battle one-on-one against the opposing team. Whenever someone from either team is knocked out then both parties will rotate to their next available fighter. When all three fighters in one party are defeated they lose. Normally this is a three-round battle but sometimes it can go a bit longer depending on which side scores a KO. Also, you cannot knock your opponent into the lava, although fortunately there are safety measures installed in case of any… accidents. That should sum up the rules to this round. Which party members will be competing in this round.”

“Give us a moment to discuss that,” Kettu said.

The party huddled together to discuss their plan before settling on their strategy.

Sir Reginald said, “Our choice for this round are Lady Nina, Elizabetta, and Nova, in that order.”

The bunny girl nodded, “Okay, then. Just to clarify, it’ll be Nina, then Elizabetta, and finally Nova, correct?”

“That’s correct,” Van replied.

“Okay, got it. Let me inform the ref so she knows what the order will be. Give me a few minutes. For now, take the time to map out your plans and get yourselves focused for your first round.”

She left the locker room, leaving the party alone. They quickly reviewed their plans and strategies for this round before she returned.

“Okay, we’re all set. The Trial by Fire Hall battle will begin shortly. Please wait until you are called.”

The party took a seat in preparation for their first round. Soon they heard the crowd getting excited. The bunny girl received a signal from a small device in her hand.

“Miss Nina, you’re up first,” she said.

Nina nodded, “Right, I’m on it.”

She rotated her shoulders, stretched her wings a bit, and took a moment to focus.

“I’m off, gang. Wish me luck.”

“Just remember what we discussed and use your species’ strength in this battle and you should be fine,” Nova said.

Nina smiled, “Right, I got it, beloved. Well… here I go.”

She exited the locker room via the door that led to the arena. She took a moment to observe the area. She was standing on a narrow platform that protruded over a pit of lava, with an identical one on the opposite side. There were various floating platforms littered about the arena. All around her were cheering spectators, eager for a good fight, and to her left was another bunny girl who was clearly the referee.

Nina took a moment to inhale and exhale before standing on the main platform. She looked ahead to see her opponent step up. He was a rather fat human mage wearing what could best be described as a jester outfit and was carrying a staff with a curled top.

The bunny girl referee stated, “The first round of the Trial by Fire Hall battle will now begin! In the blue corner we have the masterful mage, Cawler! And in the red corner we have the magical maiden of the sky, Nina! Looks like this’ll be a battle of magic! Take your positions!”

Nina took a moment to get ready while Cawler tightened his belt. Both gave the signal they were ready.

“Battle… BEGIN!”

Cawler stated, “Normally ladies first, but I intend to win! Fireball!”

He launched a fireball at Nina, who smirked. She swatted it with her wing, sending it right back to Cawler, to his alarm, before it struck him, blasting him with his own power.

The announcer stated, “What a way to open the round! Nina gave Cawler a taste of his own magic! Talk about return to sender!”

Nina smirked, “Fire won’t work so well against me, Cawler. I am a Phoenix Clan member, after all. Now that you’re all warmed up, let me wear you out! Thunderbolt!”

She fired a massive thunderbolt at Cawler, who was still recovering from his own attack. The thunderbolt struck Cawler, blasting him with powerful energies, making him scream in pain before falling to one knee after the attack waned.

Cawler managed to stand back up, growling, “Not bad. But you’re no match for me! Ice Shard!”

He fired a chunk of ice at Nina. She smirked and started to hover off the ground before delivering a roundhouse kick that knocked the chunk of ice right back at Cawler, whose eyes bulged in horror. The attack slammed into his face, covering it in a thin layer of ice.

“Ooh!” the ref stated. “That’s a facial disgracial! Cawler’s really got his hands full with this Phoenix Clan woman.”

Nina smirked, “Come on, is that all you’ve got? Then allow me to cool you down! Hail!”

A massive ice storm blasted Cawler’s side of the arena with intense power. Cawler shivered before he was encased in ice. He remained that way for a few moments before the ice shattered and he fell to one knee again. He managed to stand up again, although it was clear he was worried.

“Time to put you in your place!” he said strongly, but his voice was trembling slightly. “Mana Daggers!”

He summoned several magical daggers before hurling them at Nina. Nina grinned and took flight at the last second, causing the magical daggers to strike the stone above her locker room door, completely missing her. She hovered back down to be level with Cawler.

“T-That’s not fair!” Cawler protested.

Nina shrugged, “There’s no rule against flying. Right, ref?”

The bunny girl nodded, “No, there is no rule that the competitors can’t fly to avoid attacks. Given the fact you’re probably the first one to ever enter this tournament who can fly means that we’ve never had to deal with this situation. But there aren’t any rules against flight being used to one’s advantage.”

Nina smirked and began channeling energy, making Cawler gulp and all the color drain from his face.

“Time for the big finale!” she grinned. “Giga Boom!”

She fired the condensed sphere of energy at Cawler, who was engulfed in it, making him scream in pain as he was thrown back from the blast and crashed into the wall behind him. He slowly popped off the wall and fell to the ground, out cold.

The announcer stated, “And the first round is over! Nina is triumphant against her opponent! What a way to start things off! Now, let us move onto the next round. Challengers, please return to your locker rooms so the next members of your party can take their places.”

Nina nodded and returned to the locker room while Cawler’s party members had to drag him back into their locker room.

Nina turned to Elizabetta, “You’re up, Elizabetta. Knock ‘im dead.”

The moth girl nodded, “R-Right.”

Zeeker gently gave her a pat, saying, “Don’t be nervous, Elizabetta. You’ll do fine. Just relax, stay focused, and do your best. That’s all we can ask.”

“Right. Thanks, Zeeker.” She took a deep breath, “Okay, here I go.”

She opened the door and walked out onto the platform. She took a moment to observe her opponent. It was a female elf archer with a slim body, long legs, rather small bust, long green hair tied up in a ponytail, and wearing a tube top, long pants, and black ankle boots. Both participants stepped up to their designated spots.

“Now it’s time for Round 2!” the announcer stated. “In the blue corner we have the elven sniper, Ruby! And in the red corner we have the magical moth maiden, Elizabetta! Take your places!”

Both participants nodded, took their places, and gave the signal, though Elizabetta was still nervous.

“Battle… BEGIN!”

Ruby primed her bow, stating, “This’ll be quick! Wind Cutter Shot!”

She fired an arrow coated in Wind energy. Elizabetta took flight, allowing the arrow to miss her, to Ruby’s surprise.

Elizabetta primed her new boomerangs, “Not bad, but try this on for size! Crosscutter!”

Her boomerangs glowed before she threw them at her opponent. They became spinning blades of wind that struck Ruby twice before returning to their owner.

Ruby shook her head, “That was a decent shot. But I’m a better one! Take this! Torpedo Shot!”

She fired a water-infused arrow at Elizabetta, who narrowed her eyes.

“Not happening!” the moth girl stated.

She gave her wings a heavy flap that caused dust and scales to form before blowing them at the arrow. The arrow was coated in her Moth Dust before turning to stone and plummeting to the ground, to Ruby’s surprise.

“Well, for once my Moth Dust landed on petrification,” she huffed. “Really wish it would land
more on that when I use it against Dominic. Anyway…” she primed her boomerangs again, “Time for me to get another lick in! Falcon Throw!”

Her boomerangs glowed before she threw them. The ricocheted all over the place, striking Ruby multiple times before returning to Elizabetta. Ruby tried to retaliate but she fell to one knee, noticing it had be injured from the attack.

“Looks like Elizabetta’s boomerangs managed to damage Ruby’s knee!” the announcer said. “Will the elven sniper be able to rebound from this?”

Elizabetta took advantage of Ruby’s plight, channeling magic, “Time to go night-night! Snooze!”

She fired her spell, causing hypnotic energies to form around Ruby. Before the elf could retaliate she fell asleep in a kneeling position.

“Ruby’s out like a light!” the announcer stated. “Could this be the end of the fight?”

Elizabetta started to channel magic, “This is my big chance! Leaf Storm!”

She launched her spell, causing a vicious storm of razor-sharp leaves to form and strike Ruby. The elf was battered and slashed by the attack before she crumpled to the ground, defeated.

The announcer stated, “Ruby is down! Elizabetta has won the round! That’s two victories for the Demon King’s Champion Team! Just one more and they’ll win and move onto the next round! Can their final teammate pull it off? Challengers, please report to your locker rooms so what could be the final round can begin.”

Elizabetta landed, taking a moment to catch her breath before smiling and walking back into her locker room. When she entered she took another moment to calm her nerves before looking at the team. Zeeker gently picked her up by her waist and gave her a little twirl, making her giddy.

“Well, just one more round and we could be victorious,” Sir Reginald said.

Nova stood up, “Then it’s up to me to finish this. Wish me luck.”

Nina gave him a kiss, saying, “I know you’ll win, beloved. At least this isn’t a fight against any of Muu’s minions, right? So it should be easier for you to deal with.”

He chuckled weakly, “True, but I can’t go overboard, either, as I’ve rarely faced an opponent I’ve had to go easy on since this journey began, as most of my opponents are either Muu’s army, monsters, or Dominic. Guess I’d better keep my Demon King Ring’s settings on low for good measures so I don’t overdo it. Well, enough chattering, time to get to work.”

He approached the door, took a deep breath, and walked out, making his way toward the platform. He gulped a little bit as he saw the lava below him but steeled his nerves before stepping up to where the battle would take place. He saw his opponent step up as well. It was a rather handsome man with blonde hair, baby blue eyes, a lithe frame. He was wearing rather fancy, almost showy, clothes, with what looked like half a masquerade mask on his face.

The announcer stated, “This could be the final round, folks! In the blue corner we have the half-masked pretty boy, David! And in the red corner we have none other than the Demon King’s champion himself, Nova! Take your places!”

Both participants took their places, taking a moment to get a feel for their environment before giving the ref the signal.

“Battle… BEGIN!”

David smirked, “At least you can’t fly like your previous allies. So take this! Dual Cutter!”

He threw his boomerangs, which became bladed discs, at Nova.

Nova stated, “Who says I can’t fly? Hoverboots on! Maximum Burn!”

His Hoverboots ignited, allowing him to use them to dodge the attack before hovering in the air, to David’s shock.

“H-How is that possible!?” David sputtered.

“I’m full of surprises,” Nova merely said. He primed his bow, “And I’m about to show you one of them! Dragon Strike!”

He fired the electric dragon attack at David, who went wide eyed in horror. The attack slammed into him, sending him flying before crashing into the wall above his locker room. He slowly popped off before falling flat on his face.

“…Ow…” he merely grunted before becoming unconscious, to Nova’s surprise.

“Wow! A one hit knock-out from Nova!” the announcer stated. “That was probably the fastest KO we’ve ever had! That means Nova’s the winner, and the Demon King’s Champion Team moves onto the next round!”

The crowd cheered loudly, excited that the battle had ended.

Nova took a quick moment to look at the setting on the Demon King Ring, thinking, “T-This wasn’t set too high, was it?” He looked at it before saying to himself, “It’s only on Lesser Devil Mode. Whew… I was afraid it was on something like Ifrit Mode or higher. But it appears that General Crimzon was right, as the Demon King Ring’s power has been upgraded to the point where even its lowest setting packs a huge punch. I’m gonna have to keep that in mind during the rest of this tournament and not go overboard by accident.”

He gently lowered himself to the ground, deactivated his Hoverboots, put his bow back on his Digi-Pack, and returned to his locker room. The party smiled warmly as he entered.

“Good work, Nova!” Kettu smiled. “We made it to Round 2 thanks to that quick victory. Now, the next question is… which arena will we be fighting in next? The Null Magic Hall? Or the Survival Hall?”

“Guess we’ll find out later,” Angelo shrugged.

Nova gained a sheepish expression, “I didn’t mean to win that round so quickly. It appears that what General Crimzon said about the upgraded Demon King Ring was true, as it was on its lowest setting yet it packed so much of a punch that a single Dragon Strike won me the round. I have to keep that in mind so I don’t overdo it by accident, as I don’t want to kill anyone by mistake. Dominic is one thing, yes, since he can take so much punishment and survive to come back for more, but I have to be careful when facing a regular opponent so I don’t blow them to atoms without intending to.”

“That’s a fair point,” Van replied. “We’d best keep that in mind whenever you enter a battle. But at least the healers here should be able to get those people back on their feet so we don’t have to worry too much about it. Keep that fact tucked in the back of your mind for later. We’ve made it to the next round. However, that means the competition will be fiercer, as the other winners will have made it past the first hurdle.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Indeed, Van. They survived the first round so we have to be at the top of our game when we face them. But good work so far. If we keep it up we should be able to win the Goddess Key. Let’s keep pushing forward and hope for the best.”

The bunny girl said, “You all did great. Now, it’s time for the next batch of warriors to participate in this arena. You have to leave. But so far so good. Take a rest and get something to eat, as you deserve it.”

The party nodded and left their locker room, seeing the next team waiting to enter. They looked nervous as they eyed their opponent at the other side of the hallway. Nova took a moment to see why they were so nervous. He could only see their opponent from the back, but he looked like a very strong lizardman with flaming red and yellow scales, two black horns on his head, a long, thick tail, and was wearing a sleeveless vest over a tunic, light brown pants with a hole in them for his tail, and sandals over his very lizard-like feet.

“He looks like a tough nut to crack…” Nova gulped silently. “And he’s going into battle by himself? I hope we don’t have to face him because he could potentially end our chances of winning the Goddess Key, as even I can tell he’s extremely strong. Well, here’s hoping we don’t meet up at all, much less in the final round.”

He followed the rest of the party out of the arena to go and get something to eat, leaving the other party to start sweating when the previous team left as they saw the strong lizardman enter his locker room.

A robed figure watched the party from the shadows, growling lightly, eyes showing hatred.

“You got lucky, you little punk,” the figure snarled. “But your luck will run out when we face off. Count on it!”

Next Chapter: Null Magic Hall

That's all for today. The first round of the King of Champions tournament had begun. But who will win? Tune in next time to find out.

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language, mild violence, light blood)

Null Magic Hall

It was later that day after the party was victorious in the Trial by Fire Hall. They had just finished lunch and were checking out the various stalls and shops that opened up for the competition.

“Well, I think we’ve checked out pretty much all the stalls by this point…” Zeeker said, scratching the back of his head.

“Why don’t we check out the competition and see how the other teams are faring?” Nina suggested. “At least maybe we can get an idea of what we’ll be up against in the following rounds and see which teams survived the first round.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, that’s not a bad idea, Lady Nina. Knowledge on the enemy is a vital tool in any sort of battle. Like what Kettu did back when he first joined up, when he spied on Muu’s army and gave us the notes he had taken, giving us a much-needed leg-up early on. So let’s go see what our competition are like and maybe find out their tactics and abilities.”

The party nodded and made their way into the massive building. Just as they were about to pass the Trial by Fire Hall they heard loud booing, surprising them.

“What’s going on in the Trial by Fire Hall that’s got everyone’s nickers in a twist?” Nova asked, puzzled.

“Let’s find out,” Kettu said, eyes narrowing. “It’s clearly something not good if the crowd is reacting so strongly. We’d best see what’s going on.”

The party nodded and quickly made their way into the stands surrounding the Trial by Fire Hall. As soon as they laid eyes on the arena their eyes widened before groaning defeatedly.

Dominic was standing before one of the other teams, having apparently just revealed himself as there was a discarded cloak behind him. It was clear his presence was not welcome, as the crowd were booing him, yelling insults, and demanding his removal from the tournament while he was trying to showboat. His opponent, a rather lanky man wielding boomerangs, looked extremely annoyed at Dominic’s antics.

“You have GOT to be kidding me…” Elizabetta said in disbelief. “How’d he get here? Last we checked he got buried under several tons of rock during that Owlbeast incident. For that matter, how’d he enter? He’s blacklisted, isn’t he? Because of his crimes against Edyn by siding with Muu, right? Or did this competition not get the memo about him?”

Nova sighed, “My guess is that he not only dug himself out of that cave-in, since he is really durable, but entered under a false name in hopes of both one-upping us and claiming the prizes. But it’s clear his presence is very much not welcome here. I’m surprised Jake or Eddy aren’t here to remove him.”

A voice then said, “I just got wind of this thus I’m here now.”

The party turned to see Eddy run up to them, clearly furious.

“Damn that Dominic!” he spat. “He entered under a false name and effectively cheated his way in. Well, that won’t matter shortly, as I’m going to take care of him before he gets the crowd any more furious.”

Dominic was still trying to appease the crowd with his showboating, which only made the audience more furious. However, before Eddy could make his way down to where the locker rooms were Dominic suddenly slipped off the platform and began plummeting toward the lava, screaming in terror.

Eddy said, “Don’t worry, he won’t die. There’s an invisible barrier over the lava that prevents any accidents, since such an arena would be highly dangerous. So he’ll be—”

However, his statement was cut short when Dominic smashed through the barrier, revealing it in the process, and fell into the lava, disappearing below the surface.

“…Um… that’s not good…” the horseman gulped. “There goes our 100 percent safety rating…”

However, the crowd was now cheering, clearly happy to see that Dominic fell into the lava.

“Frankly, you can’t blame the crowd for being happy that Dominic fell into the lava,” Nina said bluntly. “Hopefully this kills him, as he’s survived pretty much everything the world, especially us, has thrown at him.”

Nova replied, “Somehow I doubt even THIS will kill him.”

Suddenly, the lava started to bubble, surprising everyone. Then a hand reached out of it and began clawing its way up the side of the arena, revealing that Dominic had survived. His clothes and armor had been completely burned and melted off, leaving him naked, with severely burned skin, and his hair was smoldering. The party was dumbfounded as they saw him rise up from the lava.

“I-Inconceivable!!!” Sir Reginald sputtered. “He survived THAT!!?”

“Called it,” Nova said, deadpan. “It’s like I’ve been saying, it’ll take nothing short of Muu to kill him at this rate. Looks like I’m not the only one who survived getting dunked in lava, albeit Shaman magic saved my bacon.
At this point I’ve given up on waiting for him to die via any other methods. Now I’m just wondering when Dominic will inevitably betray Edyn for Muu again in his doomed efforts to glorify himself. And yes, I do mean ‘when’, not ‘if’, because it’s only a matter of time before Dominic is pushed to the point he’ll go to Muu a second time. That is pretty much a guarantee by now, given his past actions, greed, ego, and self-entitlement. It’s just a matter of when he’ll be pushed that far to go to that extreme, which could be soon.”

It was then Nina and Elizabetta realized Dominic’s naked state, giving shrieks of terror before turning around and covering their eyes. The males of the party merely sighed as they watched Dominic claw his way up to where the bunny girl referee was standing. When he was clinging onto the platform she was standing on he gained a seductive smirk.

“Hey baby,” he said in a smooth tone. “Wanna ditch this event and go have some glorious times in the sheets with Dominic the Daring?”

The bunny girl referee gave a scream of disgust and began stomping her foot down repeatedly on his face, trying to kick him off the platform. After about a minute of this she gave one last strong stomp that knocked Dominic off the platform and caused him to plummet into the lava again, screaming in terror. He sank below the lava’s surface, which briefly went silent before it began bubbling again, and soon Dominic began clawing his way out of the lava again, looking more burned and injured.

Eddy was in disbelief, “I can’t believe he survived that.” He shook his head, “No matter. I’ll take care of him.”

He made his way over to where Dominic was clawing his way up the side of the arena. When he was within reach of the horseman, Eddy grabbed him by the scruff of his neck and effortlessly hoisted him up before slamming him down rather hard on the floor.

He turned to the bunny girl referee, “Declare Team Skybolt the winner of this round while I deal with this disgusting goon who had the gall to sneak into our sacred tournament. Also, we need to reestablish the barrier above the lava before the next competitors enter for safety reasons. Dominic is one thing but we can’t risk this happening to anyone else.”

The bunny girl referee nodded before stating, “The winner of this round is Team Skybolt! There will be a slight delay before the next fight in this arena while we repair the barrier that protects our competitors from the lava. Please bear with us while we take care of this… dilemma that we didn’t expect.”

Eddy grabbed Dominic by his leg and began dragging him out of the arena, much to his protests, with the crowd cheering.

Kettu turned to Nina and Elizabetta, “Okay, girls, it’s safe to look now. Dominic is gone. You don’t have to see his nakedness anymore. Can’t say I blame you for reacting that way but it’s safe now.”

Nina and Elizabetta poked one eye out from in between their fingers, checking to see if Dominic was gone before revealing their faces, sighing in relief.

Nina shivered, “Brr! Seeing Dominic naked will give me nightmares. The only man I ever want to see naked is my beloved Nova. I’m going to do everything I can to try to forget that horrific image of Dominic naked.”

Elizabetta clutched her shoulders, trembling, “You can say that again, Nina. What an awful sight. I never want to see that again. Ever. That’ll give me nightmares for the rest of the tournament.”

Sir Reginald chuckled nervously, “Can’t say we blame you two for that. But hopefully Eddy will deal with Dominic. And while he’s at it get him some clothes so he doesn’t upset anyone else. But I wonder if he’ll even bother to have Dominic healed? Considering he’s such a hated man I wouldn’t be surprised if Eddy merely threw Dominic out of town still injured. But the fact that the goon can survive getting dunked in lava, twice in fact, something that no mortal man could ever do, really puts into perspective just how unkillable he is. Whatever cosmic forces or whatnot is protecting him certainly is doing its job.”

Nova gained a savage grin, “Maybe those ‘cosmic forces’ hate him as much as everyone else, thus they want to keep him alive so he can continue suffering such horrible fates like getting eaten or falling into lava. Effectively making him a cosmic plaything designed only to suffer the most humiliating and painful events yet survive them so the process can repeat itself. Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. After all, if he’s survived this long there must be a reason why, right? But like I said before it’ll take nothing short of Muu for Edyn to finally be rid of Dominic. But enough of this, let’s just go about our day and try to not think about that meatball head. Maybe we should map out some strategies for the next two arenas: the Null Magic Hall and Survival Hall. The Null Magic Hall sounds pretty obvious, as it’s clearly designed to negate magic. Though I wonder if that applies to skills like Dragon Strike, too? While I’m guessing the Survival Hall has some sort of non-fatal effect that puts anyone who enters it on a timer. But what kind of ‘non-fatal’ effect would that be, if it is the case to begin with?”

“Fair questions, Nova,” Van nodded. “But you are right: we should start mapping out some plans and teams for the next two arenas. Even if we only have the general idea of what each arena does it’s better than nothing. Why don’t we head to the inn and discuss some ideas and what party members we should use for the upcoming rounds. While we can’t plan too far ahead, as we don’t know for sure what the gimmicks are for each arena, and there is always the chance we could lose. But getting some general strategies in preparation would be good.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, I agree. I know we were going to check out the other competitors to see what we’re up against but after that whole debacle with Dominic it might be better to just go to the inn and start strategizing. After all, Dominic can wear anyone out. We speak from experience. So let’s go back to the inn and try to create some general strategies for the upcoming rounds.”

The party nodded and made their way back to the inn, trying to forget the whole scenario that just occurred thanks to Dominic. They knew the next few rounds would be tough, as the remaining teams were strong enough to survive the first round. But they were determined to win.

It was the following day. Jake was standing on the podium before the various competitors.

“May I have your attention, please?” he stated. “I apologize for the little… incident that was caused by that traitor: Dominic the Daring. We’ve since dealt with him and he should be out of our hair for the rest of the tournament. Now, with that out of the way, it is time to start the lotto for the next rounds.”

The remaining teams waited as the lotto began sorting the different pairs. Before long the next round bracket was complete, revealing who was facing whom.

Angelo scratched his chin, “So, we’re fighting in the Null Magic Hall against Team Magispecter. Sounds like a team spearheaded by a magician, or possibly an all-magic team. Hmm… either way it was good we decided ahead of time to start mapping out some strategies, as I’ve got a feeling this fight won’t be as simple as we’d want it to be.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Indeed, Angelo. And even if this is an all-magic team or something, we can’t underestimate them. After all, they could have a roundabout way to deal with the effects of the Null Magic Hall like magical accessories or whatnot. And we still don’t know if weapon skills are usable in this round or not since they also consume mana energy from their users. For now let’s head to our locker room and get the finer details from the staff.”

The party nodded and started to make their way toward their locker room. Along the way they noticed a mother with a young daughter, both in dirty, patchwork clothes. The daughter was coughing rather badly.

“Mommy… Daddy will win the tournament, right?” she said in a concerned tone before she started coughing again.

The mother replied, “Don’t worry, dear, he’ll win. He may be at a disadvantage in this fight but he’ll win the money so we can pay for your operation.”

“Déjà vu…” Nova said as he observed the mother and child. “Where have I seen this before? It’s ringing a very loud bell in my head.”

“I’m guessing that’s Team Magispecter’s family,” Elizabetta observed. “Looks like they’ve run into hard times, judging by how dirty and tattered their clothes are. I guess they entered the tournament to win the money for that little girl.”

“That bell is ringing louder,” Nova said silently. “Now I KNOW I’ve seen this scenario before. But it could be anything given all the crazy events that have happened to me both before and during this adventure.”

He shook his head before entering the locker room with the rest of the party. Standing before the door to the arena was another bunny girl.

“Are you the Demon King’s Champion Team?” she asked.

Sir Reginald nodded, “That we are. Would you please explain the rules of the Null Magic Hall to us?”

“Certainly. The Null Magic Hall, like its name states, is a special arena that prevents anyone inside of it from using magic. Also, weapon skills are nullified, so you can’t use abilities like Miracle Slash or Meteor Throw and so on. As a result mages and magicians are at a complete disadvantage, if not completely useless, here. Oh, and you need to choose three members of your team to fight three-on-three in this arena. The team that defeats the other team wins. As a result, physical fighters are more ideal for this arena, such as those who don’t depend on magical abilities to win fights. That should explain it to you. Now, then, have you decided on what party members you’ll be using in this fight?”

Sir Reginald said, “Give us a moment to decide.”

The party huddled together and began discussing their plans. After a few minutes they nodded in agreement and Sir Reginald turned to the bunny girl.

“Our team will consist of Kettu, Zeeker, and myself, Sir Reginald, who is the team leader.”

The bunny girl nodded, “Okay, so it’s Sir Reginald, Kettu, and Zeeker, correct?”

Nina nodded, “Yes, that’s correct.”

“Okay, then, I’ll go talk to the referee to inform her about the team composition. I’ll be back in a few minutes.”

She left the room to talk to the referee, leaving the party alone. No more than a minute later there was a knock at their door.

“Hmm?” Van asked. “Who is it?”

“May I please come in?” an unfamiliar voice asked.

“I suppose…” Nova said apprehensively.

A disheveled man in dirty, patchwork clothes entered, smiling as he did.

“Thank you very much. I’m Magispecter, your opponent,” he said. “I need to talk to you about something.”

Sir Reginald asked, “What do you want to talk about?”

“You see, my daughter, Olivia, is very sick, and my family has hit hard times. I need to win the prize money in order to get her the operation she needs or she’ll die. However, in the Null Magic Hall I’m about as worthless as any other man, since I’m a skilled magician but fall flat everywhere else in a combat sense. So I’m at a complete disadvantage here.”

“Are you asking us to throw the match to you?” Zeeker asked.

“I know it’s a hard thing to ask but if I don’t get that prize money my daughter will die. I can totally win the rest of the tournament, as my magic hasn’t been beat yet, but in the Null Magic Hall I can’t do squat. I have to rely on my two boys to fight.”

As he said that two stocky boys appeared out of thin air and started chanting, “Let Magispecter win. Let Magispecter win.”

Sir Reginald replied, “I’m sorry to say but we have our own stakes in this tournament, too. We need to win the grand prize in order to save the world from Muu. So, unfortunately, we cannot throw the match to you. I’m sorry, but that’s just how it is.”

Magispecter’s eyes widened, “I… I had no idea… Oh, Olivia, I’m sorry…”

He and his boys walked out of the room, disheartened.

Elizabetta’s antennae drooped, “I feel really bad about this. He’s just trying to save his daughter. But we need that Goddess Key. This won’t be easy for us.”

Kettu, however, had his arms crossed, with a look of contempt on his face, saying, “I wouldn’t buy it if I were you. This thief smells a rat.”

Nova nodded, “I’m with you, Kettu. Something doesn’t seem right about all this. Now I KNOW I’ve seen this scenario before. But where? Maybe one of my games back on Earth?” He shook his head, “Anyway, let’s not dwell on it. Let’s focus on getting through the next round.”

In his locker room Magispecter heaved a sigh, “Life’s not easy, is it? I was hoping to save this for the next round but it appears I have to pull it out now. Okay, boys, let’s do this. Time for an upgrade.”

He started to channel magic and fired it at the two boys.

A short time later Sir Reginald, Kettu, and Zeeker were in position in the Null Magic Hall arena. They were making final checks to their equipment. However, Magispecter was nowhere to be found.

The bunny girl referee said, “I wonder where Team Magispecter is? Mr. Magispecter, the match is starting!”

Magispecter’s voice could be heard, “Here I am.”

Suddenly he appeared in a flash of light, along with two massive monsters: ogre-like creatures with bat faces, massive clawed hands, gargoyle feet, fierce eyes, fang-filled mouths, and were different colors, with one being green and the other being blue. The referee gave a small scream in fright as she saw these behemoths.

Magispecter said, “Like I said, I’m worthless in this fight. I’ll have to rely on my boys to handle this.”

Zeeker gulped, “Those… things are the same kids from before?”

Kettu then noticed something, gaining a grin, saying to his teammates in a hushed tone, “Reggie, Zeeker, I got an idea how to level the playing field.”

He quickly whispered something into their ears, making them go wide-eyed but their faces soon melted into grins.

“Good idea, Kettu,” Sir Reginald whispered. “And my name’s not ‘Reggie’!”

The bunny girl sputtered, “B-Boys!?” She hastily regained her composure, “A-Anyway, we’re out of time. Team Magispecter VS Demon King’s Champion Team! Battle… BEGIN!”

Magispecter stated, “Okay, boys, defeat those warriors so we can save Olivia. You should have the advantage now that you’re transformed.”

Kettu grinned, “You’re not the only one with transformation magic. Let’s do it.”

“Elemental Energy Fusion activate!” Sir Reginald, Kettu, and Zeeker said in unison.

They were engulfed in swirling energy, much to everyone’s shock, before the energy dispersed and soon they had become the Burning Chaos Knight, Shadow Fox, and Volcanic Titan.

“W-What is this!?” Magispecter sputtered.

“We’re not just some run-of-the-mill warriors, Magispecter,” Zeeker grinned. “We’ve got our own brand of transformation magic. And since this arena can’t negate transformation magic we can use this to not only level the playing field but also level you and your ‘boys’. So let’s get it on! Molten Rock Cannon!”

He put his hands together, causing the two halves of the volcano to form before firing a barrage of molten rocks at the monstrous creatures, bombarding them with intense power.

“Flash Strike!” Sir Reginald stated.

He slammed his sword down on the ground, creating a blinding flash that blasted Magispecter and his two creatures. When the light subsided all three where flailing about, rubbing their eyes.

“M-My eyes!” Magispecter sputtered. “I can’t see!”

Kettu grinned, “My turn. Strike Razing Claw!”

He charged toward one of the monsters, claws glowing, before leaping into the air and delivering a massive slash. His claws tore through the monster’s flesh, leaving large gashes that oozed blood. He quickly retreated back to his party while the monster flailed about, trying to hit anything.

“Chaos Blade!” Sir Reginald stated.

The flames on his sword changed from red to black and white. He then charged in, heading toward the other monster, and gave a vicious slash, leaving a deep gash in its body that seemed to burn, making the beast howl in pain. He quickly retreated back to his side of the arena to avoid any retaliation. By that point the effects of Flash Strike had worn off, allowing Team Magispecter to regain their vision.

“How can you have such power?” Magispecter sputtered.

“There is a reason why we’ve been so successful in fighting Muu’s army,” Kettu stated matter-of-factly. “And this little power-up has been a huge factor in leveling the playing field against bigger baddies like Vertebreak and others. But back to the battle. Carnivines Chaos!”

The ground shook before several vines with Venus flytrap heads emerged. They swiftly bit down upon the monsters, tearing into their flesh, causing blood to ooze from the wounds. The vines then started to thrash the two monsters around, slamming them into the ground and arena walls before letting go, causing them to crumple to the ground. The vines then retreated back into the ground, leaving
behind no trace of their presence.

Magispecter sputtered, “Get up! Get up, boys!”

The monsters barely managed to stand. Their eyes glared hatefully at the party. The gave a roar before charging at them.

Kettu, however, smirked, and released a smokescreen from the capsules on his body, blanketing the area in black smoke. This tactic caused the monsters to stop as they tried to locate the party.

“Strike Razing Claw!” Kettu’s voice could be heard.

“Flaming Saber!” Sir Reginald’s voice added.

“Volcanic Panic!” Zeeker’s voice chimed in.

There were various blasts and attacks that could be heard from within the smoke, along with cries from the monsters. When the smoke cleared Magispecter’s eyes widened in horror.

Both monsters had been defeated, lying motionlessly on the ground, bodies riddled with wounds and blood oozing out from them. While Sir Reginald, Kettu, and Zeeker were unharmed. Magispecter began backing up in fear as he saw his only line of defense laying on the ground.

“N-No… t-this can’t be…” he choked. “I-I-I can’t lose. Not now. Not after everything I did to get this far.”

Zeeker stomped up to him, saying, “Sorry to say, but that’s just how it is. Lights out.”

He punched Magispecter hard in the face, sending him flying into the back wall. He slammed into the stone wall, a stunned look on his face, before he fell to the ground, completely defeated.

The referee stated, “Team Magispecter is down! The winner is the Demon King’s Champion Team! They will advance to the next round!”

Sir Reginald said, “Good work, you two. Let’s return to normal.”

“Cancel Fusion!” all three said.

They were engulfed in swirling energy before returning to normal. They started to make their way back to their locker room. Magispecter weakly crawled towards them.

“N-No… please… Olivia…” he whimpered.

The trio entered the locker room where the rest of the party was waiting. They greeted them warmly.

“Good work, you three,” Angelo said cheerfully. “We’ve made it to Round 3.”

Nova nodded, “Yes. And good thinking to use your Shaman forms to even the playing field. Since it’s clear that arena can’t block transformation magic you took advantage of that and flipped the script on Magispecter’s monsters. Good show.”

Elizabetta looked depressed, “Still, Magispecter needed that money for his daughter.”

Kettu huffed, “I wouldn’t bet on that, Elizabetta. It’s just an act. Magispecter is a fraud, I know it. It takes a thief to know a thief, and I smelled a rat when I heard his story.”

Nova nodded, “Yes, I agree. I now know where I’ve seen this scenario before. In my favorite game: Breath of Fire 3, where the cast had to deal with a con-artist who tried to cheat them out of their victory during the Contest of Champions arc with a sob story about his daughter being sick. But since one of the party members was being held hostage Ryu and co weren’t able to throw the match. But it was revealed that the magician, named Emitai, had lied about the situation regarding his daughter needing an operation. I wouldn’t be surprised if Magispecter is wearing those dirty, patchwork clothes to further his story and make him seem more sympathetic.”

Van turned to Nova, “Do you really think that?”

“Yes, as it feels a bit too convenient that a magician of his self-proclaimed talent would need that much money. He could easily make it doing guild requests and such. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I want to check something.”

Nova walked out of the locker room, leaving the party behind.

“What do you think Nova is up to?” Angelo asked.

“Probably confirming his theory,” Nina suggested. “Whenever he crafts a theory he likes to check on the source of it to confirm it or not. He’ll be back shortly.”

A few minutes later Nova returned to the locker room, looking quite satisfied.

“I was right: it was all an act,” he said. “I secretly recorded Magispecter’s family admitting the whole thing was a con. Their daughter is just fine. They cheated another team out of their chance to win with the same sob story. Now, why don’t we go get some lunch? I also want to talk to Jake or Eddy about this situation, since this is the second time a con-artist has weaseled their way into the tournament and cheated another team out of their chance to win. Since Jake is putting a big emphasis on fair play he won’t tolerate this. But, for now, let’s go and get some fresh air and get something to eat. Especially since Sir Reginald, Kettu, and Zeeker just had a tough fight.”

The party nodded and left the locker room. Along the way they ran into Jake and Nova played the recording he had taken. Jake was furious to learn the truth, storming toward where Magispecter’s family was to deal with them. The party merely went to one of the restaurants to eat. They sat down at a table, looked the menus over before placing their orders. They engaged in idle chit-chat as they awaited their food. Soon it arrived and they tucked in, clearly hungry. They paid the bill before heading outside.

Suddenly, they heard screams of terror. They turned to see Magispecter’s family being chased by a human swordsman, an elf thief, and a naga, who were clearly out for blood, while the magician’s family were running as fast as they could.

“Hey, Nina, aren’t those the warriors who we met at my magical accessory shop?” Nova asked.

Nina nodded, “Yes, they are. Something tells me they were the team that was forced to throw the match to Magispecter when he gave them his sob story. They’re clearly furious to learn the truth and now want to give him what for after he cheated them out of the tournament.”

“Well, as they say, ‘cheaters never prosper’,” Kettu chuckled darkly.

The party watched as the trio of warriors chased Magispecter and his family out of town, stopping at the edge of the front gates, brandishing their weapons and threatening to kill the con-artist family. Magispecter’s family kept running, clearly fearing for their lives, not taking any chances. Nova heaved a sigh and started to make his way toward the other party.

“The nerve of him!” the swordsman snarled. “He cheated us out of the tournament! We lost our chance to win the grand prize thanks to him!”

The elven thief growled, “And we worked so hard to train for this tournament! Now the prize money and all those nice goodies are out of our reach thanks to us falling for that stupid story of his! All that work for nothing!”

The naga slammed his tail down on the ground a few times, stating angrily, “I know, right? We worked so hard to get prepared for this tournament and we get cheated out of our chance to win! And we even got those cool magical accessories from the Demon King’s champion that we were so eager to use during the tournament. The nerve of that conman! Now we have to wait until next year to try again!”

Nova said, “So, you were the unfortunate ones who got conned by Magispecter.”

The party turned to see him, with the swordsman nodding, “Yes. And we’re aware you’re the one who exposed him. To say Jake was furious would be an understatement. And so are we. We worked so hard to train for this tournament and we end up getting cheated out of our chance to win thanks to that conman. Now we have to wait until next year before we can get another chance.”

The pink-haired archer sighed, “Yeah, I can imagine how you feel.” An idea popped into his head, “I’ve got an idea that might help compensate you after this deception was revealed.” He took out a Gargathox horn and held it out, “Here, take this Gargathox horn. I know it’s not worth the same amount as the grand prize but at least it’s something that might make this situation sting less.”

The trio of warriors exchanged surprised looks before taking the horn with grateful expressions.

“Thank you very much,” the elf thief smiled. “It’s no grand prize but it’s better than nothing. And it does make this situation sting less. Thank you for your kindness.”

The naga gently ruffled Nova’s hair, saying warmly, “You’re a good kid, you know that? Thanks. At least this horn will be worth something to compensate us for getting tricked out of our chance to win the grand prize. It’s not quite the same value but at least we’re not walking out of here with empty pockets. Thanks, kid. Now go win the rest of the tournament so we can feel better about getting conned by that jerk.”

Nova nodded, “I intend to do so. We need that grand prize if we’re to help everyone in the long run so we have to win. But I’m glad I could help compensate you three for getting cheated out of your chance to win. Take care.”

Nova turned around and walked back to the party, who had approving smiles on their faces.

“You did a good thing, Nova,” Sir Reginald smiled. “That’ll make their situation sting less and give them something of worth after getting tricked. Once again you prove to have a good heart and soul.”

Nina embraced Nova and gave him a kiss, purring, “You’re the best, Nova. Times like this I’m proud to be your lover. The people who dismissed you and saw you for only your failures and not your strengths should be ashamed of themselves. You truly are a diamond in the rough, one that shines brightly when given a bit of polish. Now, let’s go back to the inn to rest, especially since we have the Survival Hall coming up next. While I wonder what the gimmick of that arena is, we’d best start mapping out our plans for it.”

The party nodded and made their way back to the inn to rest and begin planning their next fight. They knew they were getting closer to their goal but they also knew that the surviving teams would be even tougher.

Next Chapter: Survival Hall

That's all for today. Cheaters never prosper indeed. Tune in next time to see what our heroes face.

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language, mild violence)

Survival Hall

It was the following day after the party had fought Team Magispecter and exposed his scheme. It was time for the next round of the King of Champions tournament. The party knew their toughest battles in the tournament would soon be upon them.

Jake stepped up onto the podium, stating, “Attention everyone. We are down to our Final 4 teams! We will now determine which team faces off against whom!”

After the lotto machine performed its action it revealed the results.

Sir Reginald said, “As we thought. We’re fighting in the Survival Hall today. And it’s against Team Heroic Knights. Sounds like a tough team. Let’s get going and find our locker room and then we can get the details about the Survival Hall.”

The party nodded and made their way toward the section of the building where the Survival Hall resided. They soon found their locker room and entered it, where another bunny girl was waiting for them.

“Are you Demon King’s Champion Team?” she asked.

Van nodded, “That we are. Will you please explain the gimmick of the Survival Hall to us?”

The bunny girl nodded, “Certainly. The Survival Hall is similar to the Trial by Fire Hall, where it is a knockout-style match. Here, teams of three will fight one-on-one against each other. The gimmick of this arena is that there is a non-lethal miasma flowing around the battlefield. This miasma will slowly drain your strength and stamina, necessitating teams to fight fast in order to not get worn down by the miasma. If a party member is defeated either by an opponent or the miasma they are out and the next available fighter will take their place. Endurance and stamina are the name of the game. Whichever team is victorious over the other will advance to the next, or rather final round. Have you decided on what party members will fight?”

Sir Reginald replied, “Give us a moment to discuss it.”

The party huddled together to discuss their plans. After a few minutes they broke apart and Sir Reginal walked over to the bunny girl.

“Our team order will be Angelo, Van, and Lady Nina.”

The bunny girl nodded, “Okay, that’s Angelo, Van, and Nina. I’ll go tell the referee. Please wait here until it is time to begin the battle.”

She left the locker room to talk to the referee, leaving the party alone to discuss any last details about their plans for the arena. After about ten minutes the bunny girl returned and stood by the entrance to the arena. After a little while longer she received a message from the referee and turned to the party.

“The battle will start,” she said. “Mr. Angelo, you’re up first.”

Angelo nodded, “Okay, then. Here I go. Wish me luck.”

Angelo walked out into the arena. It was similar to the Null Magic Hall in terms of design, but he could detect a faint smell lingering in the air. He walked up to a certain point before standing at a certain spot. Shortly afterward a young human swordsman with black hair and piercing blue eyes emerged from his side of the arena. He was wearing a dark overcoat with dark armor plating placed on his chest, right shoulder, and lower areas of his legs, dark leather gloves, boots, and a dark blue scarf draped around his neck. He walked to a certain point before standing in front of Angelo.

The bunny girl referee, who was standing on a platform above them, stated, “This round features the dark knight swordsman: Karl, against the princely Hopper: Angelo! Deploy the miasma!”

The arena was suddenly filled with a light purple mist. Angelo and Karl started coughing as they inhaled the miasma. They could feel their strength starting to weaken.

“Battle… BEGIN!”

Despite coughing, Karl grabbed his sword, stating, “Miasma or no miasma, I still intend to win! Take this, frog boy! Flame Slash!”

His sword was coated in flames before performing a downward slash. Angelo quickly retaliated with his rapier, blocking the attack and locking the two into a standstill. He then gained an idea, smirking.

“I’m going to get into form!” he stated. He tapped his Shaman Magic Bracelet, “Elemental Energy Fusion activate!”

He was engulfed in swirling energy, much to Karl’s shock, causing him to jump back, and before long Angelo had transformed into Tsunami Knight.

“W-What’s that!?” Karl sputtered.

Angelo smirked, “I’m on a timer, so I might as well get into form! Take this! Waterspout Tempest!”

He gave his sword a swing, causing a waterspout to form and sweep up Karl. He screamed in fear as he was whipped around by the swirling water. When the attack waned he crashed to the ground, soaked and dizzy. He barely managed to stand back up before looking at Angelo angrily.

“That’s cheap!” he spat. “Now I’m mad! Lightning Slash!”

His sword was coated in electricity before performing a powerful slash. Angelo managed to dodge the attack, though he was lightly brushed by the electrical energy, making him wince.

“Not bad, but not good enough!” he said. “Geyser!”

He slammed his hand on the ground, causing geysers to erupt and blast Karl with powerful water that seemed to be stronger because of the Shaman magic. Karl was washed onto his back, dazed and injured.

“Ooh!” the referee stated. “Karl’s all washed up! Angelo is really taking him to the cleaners with some masterful moves!”

Karl managed to stand, shook his head, and regained his focus.

“I’m not licked yet!” he stated. “Lightning Slash!”

The two swordsman clashed blades which resulted in the Lightning Slash’s energy to strike Angelo, making him cry out in pain. Despite crackling with electrical energy Angelo managed to hold his ground before pushing back. He gave one final push that send Karl flying.

“It’s over!” the transformed Hopper Clan member said. “Sea Splitting Slash!”

He rocketed over toward Karl, his blade in hand, before performing a powerful slash. It was as if time stopped as Karl was suspended in midair while Angelo stood still. He sheathed his sword, which seemed to be the signal time was waiting for and promptly dropped Karl onto the ground, out cold.

“Wow! What a finisher!” the referee stated. “Angelo really cut Karl down to size! This round is over! Will the next fighters please take your places!”

The miasma quickly vanished from the arena.

Angelo panted, “Time… to rest. Cancel Fusion.”

He was engulfed in swirling energy before returning to normal. He managed to make his way back to the locker room where the party was waiting for him.

“You did good, Angelo,” Nova said. “Not only were you fighting on a timer, but you were forced to face both you and your Shaman form’s elemental weakness. That’s quite commendable. Now, take a chance to catch your breath.”

Angelo smiled wearily, “Thank you… Nova… for your kind words… Yes, I think… I will take a brief rest…”

He walked over to a bench and flopped down on it, clearly tired.

The bunny girl said, “Mr. Van, you’re up next.”

Van nodded, “Right, I’m on it. Wish me luck, gang.”

He took a deep breath before exiting the locker room and making his way into the center of the arena. Soon his opponent emerged from his side of the arena. He was a handsome blonde man with green eyes and was wielding a spear. He was wearing a red chainmail underneath his sleeveless tunic and silver armor on various parts of his body, brown boots, and fingerless gloves. He took a moment to flirtatiously wave to the referee, who ignored him.

The referee stated, “Time for the next fight! We have a duel between two spearmen! In one corner we have the lady-killing knight: Jamie! And in the other we have the proud galloping Centaur: Van! Take your places and deploy the miasma!”

The miasma was released into the arena, prompting Van and Jamie to start coughing. Their strength was already starting to wane as they inhaled the fine mist.

“Battle… BEGIN!”

Jamie readied his spear, stating, “I’ll take you down one-two-three! Then my name will be known to all the babes of the world! Eat this! Meteor Throw!”

He threw his spear, now coated in flames, directly at Van. Van, however, smirked, quickly spun around, and launched a double rear kick at the incoming spear. His hooves deflected the attack, sending the spear flying before crashing to the ground, negating the Meteor Throw.

“Hey, that’s not fair!” the spearman protested.

“All’s fair in love and war,” Van merely said. “Now to really hammer it home… Elemental Energy Fusion activate!”

He was engulfed in swirling energy, prompting Jamie to quickly grab his spear before the transformation was complete. Soon Van had become the Steam Engine Charger, much to Jamie’s shock.

“Can you stop a loco locomotive?” Van smirked.

Jamie growled, “I’ll gum your gears! Stone Spear!”

His spear became coated in Earth energy as he charged at Van. Before the attack could land Van lashed out both of his lances on his arms and hoisted Jamie up off the ground.

“Steam Burn!” the transformed Centaur stated.

He released white-hot steam from his partly mechanical body, making Jamie cry out in pain as it burned him. Van then tossed Jamie, causing him to land on his back. He started to slowly spin his wheels.

“Flaming Smash!”

He charged ahead, lances coated in flames, racing toward Jamie. The human spearman had just managed to recover before Van plowed into him, engulfing both of them in a fiery blast and sending Jamie flying.

“Ooh!” the referee winced. “That’ll leave a mark. Talk about getting burned. That Centaur isn’t lacking in horsepower, that’s for sure!”

Jamie crashed to the ground, battered, burned, and bruised. He barely managed to stand, as it was clear he was very weak from both the battle and the miasma. Van himself was also looking a bit weary, as the miasma was clearly whittling away at his strength and stamina.

Jamie growled, “I won’t lose to a pony! Cross Slash!”

He made a cross shape out of Light energy before firing it at Van. The transformed Centaur was unable to dodge the attack and was forced to block it, taking some damage and skidding back a bit. He managed to shake off the attack before regaining his focus.

“Not bad, but not good enough!” he stated. “Cloak!”

Soon he vanished, making Jamie’s eyes widen in surprise and horror. He flailed his spear around, trying to find Van, but his attacks didn’t strike anything.

“Flaming Smash!” a voice behind him said, making Jamie go pale.

Before he could turn around he was struck by an invisible enemy, engulfing him in a fiery blast and sending him flying before crashing onto the ground, defeated. Van soon reappeared, weary but proud.

“The battle is over!” the referee stated. “Van is victorious! The next round could be the deciding factor if the Demon King’s Champion Team moves onto the finals! Return to your locker rooms so the potentially final fighters can take their places!”

The miasma vanished, allowing Van to breathe a bit easier.

“Glad… that’s over…” he wheezed. “Cancel Fusion.”

He was engulfed in swirling energy before returning to normal. He made his way back to the locker room where the rest of the party was waiting. Angelo was looking healthier while the rest of the party greeted Van warmly.

“Nice work, Van,” Zeeker smiled. “That’s two opponents down. That leaves our resident Phoenix magician to handle the cleanup.”

Nina nodded, “Indeed. And the fact that both you and Angelo used Shaman magic to give you the needed power boost to steamroll your opponents was a smart call. Especially considering the miasma was eating away at you the whole time.”

The bunny girl said, “Miss Nina, you’re up.”

The winged woman nodded, “Right. Wish me luck, gang. I promise to give our team the win.”

She walked over to the door, took a deep breath, and walked out into the arena. She stopped at a certain point before her opponent appeared. He was a rather short young man with curly, light brown hair and pale hazel eyes. He was wearing a sleeveless tunic with light clothing underneath, thin leather gloves, leather boots, and a green hood-like cape attached around his neck and right shoulder. He was wielding a bow that looked like a Starburst Bow or something similar.

The bunny girl referee stated, “It’s time for what could be the final fight of this round! In one corner is the archer of hidden justice, Brad! And in the other corner is the maiden of masterful magic, Nina! Release the miasma!”

The miasma was released into the arena. Brad started coughing as he inhaled the fine mist. Nina instinctively tried to block it out but, to her surprise, she was not feeling the effects of it when she did inhale it.

“Hmm?” she said. “Why am I not being affected by the miasma?”

She then noticed that her wings were glowing lightly, and quickly connected the dots.

“Of course,” she chuckled. “I forgot about the gift the Goddess gave me for saving Fairy Forest and preventing the mana aquifers of Edyn from being contaminated. She modified my Magic Fire Feathers to give me special properties. Which means I’m immune to this miasma even if it isn’t lethal. That gives me a huge advantage.”

Brad heard this and protested, “You’re immune to this stuff!?
That’s not fair! I call foul!”

Nina merely shrugged, “Sorry, but there isn’t any rule against it, now is there? Especially since I’m something of a unique case. So you’re just gonna have to fight me regardless. Who knows? Maybe you’ll win despite my unintentional immunity? The battle could go either way. So buck up and deal with it!”

The referee stated, “Battle… BEGIN!”

Brad drew an arrow and nocked it onto his bow, “I’ll take you down! Torpedo Shot!”

He fired a Water energy-infused arrow at Nina. However, she merely dodged the attack with ease, surprising Brad.

“While I applaud you for trying to use my weakness to Water to your advantage, you’re not quite the shot I was expecting. My beloved Nova, however, is quite the sharpshooter. He was even trained by Aerrow Sparrow and was his first apprentice to graduate even after enduring his hardest training regime.”

Brad looked shocked, “N-No way! That pink-haired pansy was trained by Aerrow Sparrow!? And he PASSED his toughest training regime!!? How is that possible!? No loser like that should’ve been able to pass such tough training from the Legendary Archer himself!”

Nina’s eyes flared, snarling, “Watch what you say about my beloved Nova! That’s it! It’s time to burn you to ashes! Elemental Energy Fusion activate!”

She was engulfed in swirling energy, much to Brad’s shock, and before long transformed into her Goddess of Phoenixes form.

“Take this! Phoenix Finish!”

She fired the flaming energy phoenix at Brad, who was struck by the attack and sent flying, crashing on his back, badly singed.

The referee flinched, “Ooh, that’s gotta hurt. Talk about feeling the burn. Nina’s certainly red hot today. But why does she not seem to be affected by the miasma?”

Brad stood up, growling, “I’ll show you superior archery, chicken wings!” He nocked another arrow on his bow, “Dragon Strike!”

He fired the lightning dragon attack at Nina, who narrowed her eyes.

“Not happening!” she stated. “Phoenix Finish!”

She launched another flaming energy phoenix directly at the Dragon Strike attack. Both attacks collided, exploding and canceling each other out.

“Feather Arrows!”

Nina summoned a bunch of feathers that transformed into flaming arrows and fired them directly into the smoke cloud. Before Brad could respond he was struck by the incoming attack, the feathers exploding on contact and knocking him back.

The referee stated, “Now that was smart. Nina used the smoke created from the two previous attacks colliding to cover up her follow-up attack, taking Brad by surprise before he could retaliate. Clever girl.”

The smoke soon cleared, allowing Nina to see Brad’s angry expression as he stood up.

“Time for no mercy!” he growled. He nocked three arrows onto his bow, “Triple Torpedo Shot!”

He fired three Water energy-infused arrows directly at Nina. Nina, however, gracefully dodged the attack with a midair pirouette before taking a more battle-ready position.

“Your accuracy is unimpressive,” she frowned. “Nova has never missed a shot, even during the early days. It’s true what he says: his arrows never miss. Now it’s time to end this.” She started to float higher up before going into a dynamic pose, “Flames of Judgment!”

She launched a sea of golden flames at Brad, making him go pale in horror. He was engulfed in the flames, screaming in pain, before the attack subsided, showing him on his back, defeated.

“And that’s game!” the referee stated. “The Demon King’s Champion Team has won the match! They will advance to the final round! Who will come out on top? We’ll find out during the epic conclusion of the King of Champions tournament!”

The miasma vanished, prompting Nina to float back down.

“Cancel Fusion,” she stated.

She was engulfed in swirling energy before returning to normal. She gave a small smirk before walking into her locker room. The rest of the party was waiting for her, smiling as she entered. Van and Angelo were looking much healthier since their bouts in the miasma. Nova gently gripped Nina by her waist and hoisted her up, making her giggle in pleasure.

“Great work, Nina,” he said with a smile. “Now we’re in the finals. And truth be told, I had forgotten about the gift the Goddess gave you for your sacrifice back in Fairy Forest. That gave you an unparalleled, and unintentional, advantage against your opponent. And I appreciate what you said about me to that other archer. It always makes me happy knowing that I have you in my corner and that you accept me, flaws and all.”

Nina gently cupped Nova’s face, purring, “But of course, Nova. That’s what lovers do. And while you still have some flaws, you’ve been addressing them to the point that they’re hardly an issue anymore, if not having outright shed them. That’s why you’re strong. And why you’re amazing. Now, we just need to prepare for the final match. I wonder how it’ll go?”

Kettu said, “We know it’s a one-on-one match between team leaders. So I guess that means Reggie will be doing the final fight.”

Sir Reginald retorted, “My name’s not ‘Reggie’, Kettu! Enough of that already!” He regained his composure before saying, “That aside, leave the final fight to me. I’ll make sure we claim victory and gain the Goddess Key.”

“Let’s hope so, Sir Reginald,” Zeeker said, his tone thick with concern. “Whoever made it to the final round will be tough. You may even need to bust out your strongest Shaman form if it’ll help give us the edge.”

Nova nodded, “I agree. As for your opponent, I worry it might be that Vok guy we’ve been hearing about. He was facing off against Team Galvanizer in this round, and from what I saw, he’s fighting solo. If he can beat entire teams by himself then we have to be careful with him. You may have to pull all the stops in hopes of winning, Sir Reginald. We don’t doubt your strength, obviously, but don’t take any chances, either.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, I hear you and understand. I’ll be sure to give it everything I’ve got since we need that Goddess Key. I appreciate the words of caution and I’ll take them to heart. Rest assured that I will lead us to victory.”

Nova said silently, “Then why do I have this feeling of dread? And why do I feel like it applies to me somehow? Why do I feel like I’m the one who will have to fight in the final round? I hope that this isn’t a sign of what’s to come…”

Next Chapter: Hall of Champions

That's all for today. Notice anything familiar about the party's opponents? Anyway, the final fight will soon be upon them. But will the party win? Tune in next time to find out.

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language, violence, light blood)

Hall of Champions

It was the following evening after the party had defeated Team Heroic Knights and was now in the finals. They had learned that, as expected, their opponent would be Vok, as he defeated Team Galvanizer. They were in one of their inn rooms, going over ideas and strategies on how to defeat such a foe.

Van pondered, “So, Vok is a member of the Salamander Clan, a race of Fire element lizardmen. And if what we know is true he’s the current undefeated champion of this tournament, having won it for the past 100 years. That’s… quite the record, to put it mildly.”

Kettu gained a worried expression, “I’ll say. The Salamander Clan is a warrior race not unlike Centaurs. Their entire way of life is the battlefield. Not to mention they’re one of the long-lived races on Edyn, able to live just short of most elven species. So the fact he’s more than 100, if not even older, and has this much of a reputation and skill behind him, I worry that Reggie could be in some serious trouble.”

Sir Reginald replied, “Normally I’d say something about you calling me ‘Reggie’ again, but it’ll have to wait, as you bring up excellent points, Kettu. This Vok could easily stonewall us and prevent us from getting the Goddess Key, especially if he’s been alive for so long and is the undefeated champion of this tournament. I’m worried that even my strongest Shaman form might not be enough to take him down. But if there’s one thing I’ve learned from my time as a soldier it’s that fearing the enemy is the same as losing. So while this Vok has quite the reputation and is a daunting foe I won’t let that intimidate me. We’ve come too far to start fearing our foes now. We need to push forward and claim that Goddess Key. While there are other Goddess Keys out there, this one is within our reach, so we can’t fail now.”

Elizabetta looked concerned, “I just hope you can pull out a win, Sir Reginald. You might need to fight fire with fire. Literally. As in using your Burning Chaos Knight form since it’ll grant you an immunity to Vok’s own Fire element. I don’t know much about the Salamander Clan, so I don’t know if they’re immune to Fire as well or not, but using the Burning Chaos Knight may be the best way to remove what could be Vok’s best weapon. I just hope you can come out on top, Sir Reginald, as we’re on the cusp of finally winning this war. If the Goddess Key slips through our fingers now we may not get another chance. Yes, I know there are others, but that would require us scouring the land for any trace of one. We can’t have this opportunity slip past us. We need to win. For Edyn’s sake.”

Zeeker nodded solemnly, “Yes. The fate of Edyn could very well be determined by this one battle. But even a warrior of Sir Reginald’s caliber might not be enough to topple Vok. I’ve heard only rumors about him during my time in the Beastman Resistance but what I have heard of him is that his fighting ability is almost legendary. He’s not going to go down easily, that’s for sure. But your suggestion of using the Burning Chaos Knight form might be our ticket to overcoming such a foe, as it’ll eliminate one of Vok’s strongest weapons, as it was often said his flames were strong enough to burn entire armies to ash.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, that’s a good call, Elizabetta. And I’ve heard those rumors, too, Zeeker. This’ll be a very difficult fight even for us. But the fate of Edyn possibly rides on our victory in this fight. We’ve just gotta go over any ideas and strategies we can and hope at least one of them will lead us to victory.”

Nova said silently, “Yes, but why do I have this feeling that something will throw a wrench in the works and all our strategies will go down the tubes because of it?”

Morning soon came. It was time for the final match in the King of Fighters tournament. After a hearty breakfast the party made their way to the locker room associated with the Hall of Champions. Sir Reginald was getting focused, giving his blade a few practice motions before sheathing it.

The bunny girl at the door said, “Mr. Nova, it’s time to head into the battle arena.”

Nova replied causally, “Yeah, sure, give me—” only to freeze up when the realization sunk in. “WHAT!? ME!?” he sputtered. “Why me!? Sir Reginald is the team leader!”

The bunny girl replied, “Yes, but, well… how do I put this? The team is under your title of Demon King’s champion. So that technically means you’re the leader. Thus you’re the one who will participating in the final fight.”

Nova’s eyes were as wide as saucers and he felt his heart plummet. The rest of the party gained worried expressions.

“So… that means… all the planning we did last night just went down the drain because of a technicality…?” Van gulped.

“W-We didn’t expect this…” Angelo said in an apprehensive tone.

Elizabetta murmured, “So… everything we’ve worked for is riding on Nova beating Vok? Not that I don’t have faith in Nova but we don’t have any sort of strategy or plan because of this technicality.”

Kettu turned to Nova, “Hey, Nova, maybe you should bust out the Chaos Archer for this? I know it might be an unfair advantage but you might need the power to overcome Vok.”

Nova heaved a defeated sigh, “No, I can’t use the Chaos Archer. It’s too risky, given the fact I don’t have the best control over it. Plus it’s immortal and invincible, giving me an unfair advantage. And it’s too powerful to be used on anyone that isn’t one of Muu’s goons or Dominic. No, I can’t use the Chaos Archer in this fight, as there are too many risk factors that could go horribly wrong.”

He heaved another sigh before taking off his Digi-Pack and handing it over to Nina, to her confusion. He then gave her his Shaman Magic Bracelet.

“Nova, why are you giving me your Digi-Pack?” Nina asked. “It has your archery equipment.”

Nova replied, “This fight could be brutal so I don’t want to run the risk of my Digi-Pack, and all its contents, getting damaged. And I’m going to use my mana bow for this fight, since I don’t want to risk the Hellfire Bow getting damaged unless it’s absolutely necessary. And since I’m going to have to wing it during this fight I will be better off using my mana bow.”

The bunny girl said, “Mr. Nova, I hate to interrupt, but the match is going to start in a few minutes.”

“Okay, okay, I get it.” Nova heaved a heavy sigh before walking over to the door, “Wish me luck… because I’ll need it.”

With great reluctance Nova opened the door and entered the arena. It was a large, wide stone and wood platform suspended over a pit. Nova steeled his nerves and made his way to his designated spot.

The bunny girl referee, who was standing on a platform off to the side of the arena, stated, “And our challenger has appeared! The man chosen by the Demon King himself to become his next champion: Nova! And his opponent is our currently undefeated champion. The man! The myth! The legend! The Flaming Beast of War! Vok Cinderblaze!”

Suddenly a bunch of different colored lights start to flash over the doorway to the other side of the arena. Then Vok emerged, which prompted a spotlight to shine down upon him. He walked up to his designated spot, looking Nova over.

“So you’re the current Demon King’s champion?” he asked. “Not much to look at but you must be strong if you’ve gotten this far. I will warn you: I’ve faced a couple of past Demon King champions, none of them impressed me. Hopefully you’ll give me a better fight than the past ones have.”

He summoned his spear from a pillar of fire, a fierce look in his reptilian eyes. Nova steeled his nerves before summoning his mana bow, prompting Vok to quirk an eyebrow.

The bunny girl referee stated, “This is it! The final battle! Who will win? Our champion Vok? Or his challenger Nova? Let’s find out. Battle… BEGIN!!!”

Vok spun his spear, stating, “Let’s see you take this on! Rapid Thrust!”

He started to lash his spear at Nova at blinding speeds. Nova, however, was able to dodge each attack before jumping back out of range, surprising Vok.

“Not bad, kid,” he said. “That attack alone defeated one of your predecessors before he could even get a chance to fight. In fact, most of my opponents go down to that attack alone. Yet you were able to dodge it completely. That means you passed the first test, at least. This fight might actually be interesting, which would be a nice change of pace. Let’s see what you’ve got.”

Nova summoned three mana arrows, stating, “I may not be the most confident Demon King champion, but I’m surprisingly resourceful. Like this! Tripe Torpedo Shot!”

He fired three Water energy-infused arrows at Vok. The Salamander tried to strike them down with his spear, only for the arrows to weave around it and hit him. His eyes widened in surprise as the attack landed, feeling his flames getting a bit weaker. The crowd gasped as they saw Vok take the hits.

The referee stated, “Vok… was actually hit!? That hasn’t happened in years, if not decades!”

“That’s the first time an opponent has successfully landed an attack on me in over 50 years,” Vok said, impressed. “Much less three at once.” He gained a grin, “This fight just got more interesting. Might be time to crank it up a notch. Cross Slash rapid fire!”

He started making multiple golden crosses in the air and fired them at Nova in rapid succession. Nova did his best to dodge the attacks, using his Hoverboots to speed himself up. He was able to dodge almost all of them except for the final one, which struck him in his left leg, making Vok grin. However, to his surprise, Nova easily steadied himself as if he wasn’t damage at all.

“You took a Cross Slash attack to the leg… and you’re not hurt?” the Salamander warrior asked, surprised.

Nova grinned, “I’ve got a very high threshold for pain. My body is extremely durable. It’s a long and very ugly story why and how I have that, but it allows me to shrug off most injuries like their nothing. Your Cross Slash, while it packs a punch, won’t be enough to stop me. You’ll have to do better than that to beat me. And now it’s my turn!” He nocked another arrow onto his bow, “Fire Shot!”

He launched a flaming arrow at Vok, who grinned.

“Nice try, but that won’t work,” he said.

“Wind Cutter Shot!” Nova stated, firing another arrow.

The two arrows collided with each other, fusing together and becoming a combo skill, to Vok’s surprise.

“Combo skill: Missile Strike!”

The combo attack slammed into Vok, exploding on contact and knocking him back. He quickly used his long tail to steady himself and get back on his feet, clearly surprised.

The referee stated, “What was that!? Was that a combo attack? I didn’t know that weapon skills can combine to create stronger attacks. Vok might have a serious contender here.”

Vok’s reptilian eyes widened, “You… can perform combo attacks? I’ve been alive for over 200 years yet I’ve never seen nor heard of a combo attack.”

Nova gained a weak grin, “Actually, I created the concept by accident but my party has since used it to great effect. We’ve made a fair few combos thus far, though Missile Strike, which is the name we coined, is the only one I can do solo. At least thus far, as I haven’t had a chance to try out other ideas. But given how you tanked that Missile Strike I may have to do a bit of experimentation in order to topple you. Like maybe right now.” He nocked another arrow onto his bow, “Dragon Strike!”

He fired the lightning dragon attack at Vok before loading up another arrow.

“Wind Cutter Shot!”

He fired the Wind energy-infused arrow directly at the Dragon Strike attack. The two attacks combined, creating a draconic-shaped maelstrom attack, making Vok’s eyes widen in shock. He lashed out his spear in hopes of intercepting the attack but his attack missed, allowing the new combo to slam into him, engulfing him in a large explosion. He was knocked flat onto his back, stunned at first. But then his face changed into a more confident grin. He sprung back onto his feet, using his tail for extra momentum, sporting the grin, making Nova nervous.

“Well, well, well…” he said. “Looks like I’ve got a serious contender this time around. You’ve already outlasted the past three Demon King champions I’ve fought and you even created combo attacks, with one being born just this day. For the first time in years my blood is pumping fast. This is getting interesting. Looks like I have to get serious for the first time in at least 100 years. It’s actually refreshing. Let’s see what old Vok can do!” He ignited his spearhead with flames before stating, “Rapid Thrust!”

He lashed the now-flaming spear at Nova at blinding speeds. Nova tried to dodge all of the attacks but was struck several times, getting burned and fresh wounds forming, oozing blood. However, he was able to dodge about half of them before jumping back a bit to avoid any more attacks, making Vok smirk.

“Well, you didn’t quite dodge that attack as well as the first time, but you took the hits surprisingly well. You must be pretty durable and have a high pain tolerance if you handled that attack so well. While I’ve only had to use that maneuver on a few opponents, you’re the only one who has not only dodged half of them but was able to take the hits you did take and still be raring to go. Everyone else failed to dodge even one hit and went down instantly to it. I’m liking you more by the minute, kid. I might actually have a serious challenger for the first time in well over a century. Let’s see if you can keep it up.” He ignited the spear again before stating, “Stone Spear!”

The spear gained Earth energy, which combined with the flames present on it. The flames gained a more stone grey color and the entire spearhead was now swirling with power. He readied it before giving it a powerful thrust toward Nova.

“Ice Arrow!” Nova stated hastily.

He fired an arrow infused with Ice energy directly at the attack. The two attacks collided, creating a large explosion that knocked both of them back, damaging both fighters because of the close proximity of the blast. Both shook their heads to clear it before standing back up.

“Interesting,” Vok grinned. “You countered a Fire and Earth element attack with an Ice element one, knowing that when Fire and Ice mix they either cancel each other out or explode. Plus Ice is strong against Earth, giving it an extra layer to it. So regardless of what outcome the collision would create it would nullify my attack, thereby preventing me from dealing full damage, despite the resulting blast damaging both of us. You’re quite sharp, kid, to know that using an Ice attack would be more advantageous than using a Water attack like Torpedo Shot in that situation.”

“I’m not the strongest warrior but I am resourceful,” Nova replied. “If I may quote a character from my world, ‘I may not be smart enough to do everything, but I'm dumb enough to try anything’. And believe me, I’ll try anything if it helps me survive this whole ordeal with Muu and his army. With rather interesting results at times. And speaking of resourcefulness, take this!” He nocked another arrow onto his bow, “Dragon Strike!”

He fired the attack at Vok who was unable to respond in time, getting blasted by the lightning dragon. He managed to shake the attack off, though he clearly felt it, before standing strong.

“So I see, kid. For the first time in years I’m getting a rush from a battle. And here I thought you weren’t going to be much of an opponent, especially compared to your predecessors. Looks like I’m about to eat those words, as for the first time in ages I’m actually excited to fight such a strong foe. Now take this!” He lit his spear on fire again before stating, “Rapid Thrust!”

He launched another barrage of fiery spear strikes at Nova. This time Nova was able to dodge most of them but he was starting to feel fatigued, thus causing the final few hits to strike him. But despite his injuries he managed to stand upright, panting but his eyes showing strength, making Vok grin.

“I like that look in your eyes, kid. You’re in bad shape but you still have some fire left in you to keep pushing forward. Though it makes me wonder why you entered this tournament? Is it to prove your strength? Or is there another reason?”

Nova panted, “I need to win the grand prize so I can save all of Edyn. There is an item in the grand prize that my party needs to finally destroy Muu’s barrier and leave him vulnerable, thus allowing us to potentially win the war with him. But, unfortunately, my party and I needed to enter the tournament to get it, as the sponsors can’t just give it to us despite it being crucial to winning the war. You’re my final obstacle in getting that item, and I can’t let my team down. Not after we’ve come so far and fought so hard. I. Won’t. Fail. Again.”

Vok closed his eyes, saying softly, “So that’s why you’re here. To save all of Edyn. This isn’t a macho contest to you. It’s a chance to finally save Edyn from that cowardly tyrant, Muu. While I don’t know what this item is you need I can understand why you’re so determined. But I won’t go down that easily, either, as I’ve got my own reputation to uphold. Nor will I forfeit as that would dishonor your hard work and determination.” His eyes gleamed, “I think it’s time to pull out my secret weapon.”

Nova became nervous, “S-Secret weapon? You mean you’ve got something big tucked away that you haven’t revealed yet. Hoo-boy…”

Vok grinned as he started challenging a massive amount of Holy energy into his spear. Soon his spear transformed, becoming more divine and larger, making Nova’s eyes widen in fear and horror. Vok also gained a pair of white energy wings as he prepared his attack. When he was done charging it up Vok took aim, causing a targeting reticle to lock onto his opponent.

“Take this! Heavenly Judgment Throw!”

He threw the divine spear at Nova, who could only brace himself for the impact. The attack collided with him, engulfing him in a massive explosion of Holy energy, nearly knocking the referee off her perch from the wind and recoil of the attack. Vok’s spear returned to him, as he was waiting for the smoke cloud to fade away.

The referee stated, “B-By the Goddess! Vok pulled out his ultimate weapon! There’s no way the challenger could’ve survived that!”

However, when the smoke cleared, the entire arena and all the spectators gasped in shock. Nova was still standing. He was breathing heavily, his body and clothes badly torn up, but he was still standing. Vok nearly dropped his spear in shock.

“Y-You were able to take my Heavenly Judgment Throw!!?” he choked. “No one has ever taken that attack and remained standing! No one! Just how durable are you!!?”

Nova could barely respond, but his eyes showed determination. He primed his bow, summoning another arrow, and began concentrating. The bow was soon engulfed in white light that molded it into a more divine form, with a pair of energy angel wings sprouting at the top. A matching pair of energy wings formed from Nova’s back. The front of the bow gained a sapphire blue disc, followed by four strange protrusions appearing around it, then pointing forward, almost looking like the frame of a cannon. A large base formed at the bottom of the bow before sprouting feather-shaped legs, becoming an anchor to the bow. The arrow started to glow and transform, becoming more divine.

Vok’s eyes were wide, “B-By the Goddess! You actually know the Goddess-tier skill for bows!? How!?”

Nova replied weakly, “You can thank… Master Aerrow… aka the Legendary Archer… for not only training me… but teaching me about this skill… which I was able to summon… on my first try… So you’re not… the only one… with such a powerful… secret weapon at your disposal…”

A targeting reticle appeared and locked onto Vok. Despite his injuries and fatigue Nova primed his attack.”

“Celestial Judgment Arrow!”

He fired the Goddess-tier skill at Vok, who looked like he was actually panicking since knowing he couldn’t dodge it. He was forced to take the attack, engulfing him in an equally massive explosion. The referee was just barely able to remain on her perch as the wind and recoil of the move blasted the arena. The crowd went dead silent, waiting for the smoke cloud to fade away and see if Vok was still standing.

Suddenly a pair of eyes gleamed from within the smoke. It quickly cleared, showing that Vok was still standing, but was clearly very badly injured, using his spear to support himself, breathing heavily. But his expression was of both pride and satisfaction.

“Kid… No, Nova, I gotta hand it to you…” he panted. “You are one hell of a fighter. To think you even know a Goddess-tier skill and, if what you said is true, you were taught by the legendary Aerrow Sparrow proves just how strong and courageous you are. You even took my most powerful skill and remained standing. You’re a rare breed, that’s for sure. The previous Demon King champions I fought years ago couldn’t hold a candle to you. You’ve taken everything I’ve thrown at you, sometimes literally, and managed to keep fighting. The end is near. But I still have some fire left in me for one last attack. I hope you have enough fire in you to do the same.”

Nova nodded, nocking another arrow onto his bow, panting, “I’m running on fumes right now, but I can’t quit. I won’t quit. I won’t lose. Too much is riding on this fight for me to lose. I’ve only got enough fight left for this last attack, but I intend to use it to win. Dragon Strike!”

Vok grinned, “Game on, Nova.” He readied his spear, “Meteor Throw!”

Both attacks were launched simultaneously. They soared past each other before striking their designated targets, engulfing them in smoke. When the smoke cleared both fighters were still standing. The crowd went dead silent, waiting to see which warrior would fall first.

Suddenly two words escaped one of their mouths.

“You win…”

Nova suddenly started to collapse, his eyes rolling up into his sockets, his mana bow fizzling away. He crashed onto the heavily damaged platform, flopping a few times, before becoming motionless, fading into the depths of unconsciousness.

The referee took a good, long moment to register this before saying, “A-After an epic battle one warrior remains standing. The winner of this amazing final battle is our champion: Vok Cinderblaze!”

The crowd was stunned silent before cheering. Vok was weary and badly injured, using his spear to steady himself, but had a satisfied smile on his face.

“For the first time in years I finally found a worthy opponent,” he said inwardly. “That kid is something else.
Despite him needing the grand prize to save Edyn I feel kinda bad for defeating him. But wow, what a battle. I haven’t felt that kind of rush in decades, if not longer. Belzebuth, you certainly picked an amazing person to be your newest champion. That kid, Nova, is destined for greatness. Edyn’s future looks bright. He will be the one to end Muu once and for all. …And I want to be there to witness it.”

Next Chapter: The Promise Forged by Fire

After an epic battle the victor has been decided. But what will the party do now? Tune in next time to see what our heroes face.

Time for the next chapter of Dawn of Courage. (Warning: contains mild language, mild violence, male nudity)

The Promise Forged by Fire

It had been an hour since the final fight in the King of Champions competition and Vok was declared the winner. The excitement was high because of another successful year despite a few incidents. The awards ceremony would be taking place later that evening, much to the eagerness of the various spectators.

At the inn the party was grouped in one room. Nova was lying on a bed, still unconscious, though his wounds had been healed. Nina sat next to him, gently clutching his hand while she waited for him to awaken. The rest of the party were rather somber, knowing that the Goddess Key they had tried to obtain had slipped through their fingers.

“Guess we need to think of a new plan…” Kettu sighed.

“Dammit… we were so close…” Elizabetta muttered. “Now we need to figure out where to find a new Goddess Key.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, but we can’t really hold it against Nova. He fought his absolute hardest and came inches from winning despite going in without any sort of plan or strategy. He did his best and that’s all we can really ask of him. Vok was just simply more skilled despite Nova giving him a serious run for his money. It’s a tough loss since we were so close to getting the Goddess Key but it can’t be helped. We’ll figure out a new plan. For now, Nova needs to rest. It was smart of you to use one of your Magic Fire Feathers on him, Lady Nina. That healed him up completely, which will speed up his recovery.”

Nina heaved a sigh, “Yeah, well, it didn’t bring him back from the void of unconsciousness. And we need to factor in something else that you’re not seeing.”

Angelo quirked an eyebrow, “What do you mean—” before it dawned on him. “Oh, right, I almost forgot about that. Poor Nova… this’ll be a rather damaging blow to him.”

Elizabetta looked confused, “What do you mean?”

Zeeker turned to her, “That’s right, you don’t know about this little… problem that Nova has. Allow me to explain. Nova has a… recurring issue that has plagued his life for many years: falling short of any goal and/or expectations. This one issue has been constantly tripping him up, largely thanks to his family’s stupid mentality and such. You see, Nova has a tendency to fall short of any sort of goal or expectation put on him. Not always but it happens fairly frequently. And every time it does happen it damages his confidence quite badly. Especially in cases like our fight against Muu, when Nova has to take the lead in some form or another and he ends up coming up just short of succeeding, this causes his confidence to falter. And he always, always beats himself up over it. Again, the issue traces back to his upbringing and what the Blitz family did to him, but it’s a lifelong issue that has plagued him since he was a kid.”

Nina added, “As a result he’s got an almost crippling fear of failure because every time he did fail growing up it resulted in him getting punished in multiple ways, especially when it came to his status in the family. And the more critical the time the failure happens, the harsher the punishment. Basically, his family effectively taught him that failing to achieve any goal or expectation is a fate worse than death. It’s hardwired into him that failing to achieve a goal or expectation is rather unforgiveable and he’ll be treated like a disgrace and a loser in the eyes of others. It’s an unfortunate mentality he has, again largely thanks to how his family treated him growing up. So the fact he failed to win us the Goddess Key during a critical time is going to seriously damage his confidence and potentially cause some of his self-improvement to backslide. He tries so hard but before this adventure he basically got no respect from anyone, especially his family, no matter how hard he worked. It’s rather deplorable and an extremely toxic way of life.”

Elizabetta’s eyes widened in surprise before she gained a rather depressed expression, “I knew his family didn’t have the best mentality and way of life, but this is even worse than I thought. And I thought my family life was horrid. Nova’s had it at least a hundred times worse because of how badly his family broke him with their stupid desires for success and constantly putting him down despite any hard work he puts into things. At least when it came to me I just had a bully of an older sister, but Nova’s pretty much had the entire family beating down upon him. All because he ended up being different. Now I get it what you mean.”

Sir Reginald gave a solemn nod, “Yes. Nova’s family and upbringing gave him a lot of toxic traits. While most of those have been shed, mainly thanks to Lady Nina, it’s clear the fear of failure and falling short of a goal continues to plague his existence. And, unfortunately, those feelings are very well-founded. While everyone knows that failure is just part of life and you can’t avoid it all the time, it’s clear how Nova’s mind has been wired to the point that failing even once basically means he did an unspeakable crime. And given his numerous failures in the eyes of his family, that feeling was only further cemented and reinforced. And considering how much progress he’s been making, shedding many of his poisonous traits and becoming a stronger, smarter, braver person, this failure to win the Goddess Key during a critical time for us could potentially be a crippling blow to him.”

Nina nodded sadly, “Yes, and that’s what worries me the most. Nova’s made so much progress as a person, becoming the man I always knew he was deep inside. But that lingering fear of failure that was constantly reinforced by his family remains a key issue because of how deeply rooted it is. Like Sir Reginald said, failure is part of life, and you can’t avoid it all the time. But the way the Blitz family always brought hell down upon Nova whenever he had even the slightest mess-ups just molded him into a wreck. Even after he gave up trying to appease his family that fear, and the inevitable punishment that followed, continued to plague his existence even into his adult life. Times like this I just want to strangle his parents for all the negative and horrible things they’ve done to him. Constantly feeding his fears, ostracizing him because he was different, and punishing him for things that he has no control over. It’s no wonder why he and I clicked so well, as we both come from similar families.”

“Your family was just as bad, Nina?” Elizabetta asked.

“Trust me when I say this, Elizabetta, but it’s good you never met my parents or my brothers. If you think you had it bad with Izabella, try having sexist laws that not only encouraged one gender to rule over the other, but prevented the oppressed gender from ever fighting back lest they face severe consequences. Something that my younger brothers took full advantage of to make my life a living hell. Running away from home, and ultimately meeting Nova, resulting in me joining this adventure, was a godsend. I was finally freed from those horrible conditions and finally found someone who actually cared about me, much less a man. And in doing so opened the door to a better life for me. All the times I’ve said that Nova was the best thing to ever happen to me I damn well meant it. Without him I would’ve gone down a self-destructive path. But he unlocked my cage and allowed me to fly freely. I never have to bow to the whims of anyone ever again, and I revel in that feeling. All because he took my side and helped me escape Phoenixwing Kingdom. And I never intend to ever step foot in that territory, much less the capital, again. When this is all over I’ll leave Edyn with Nova and go to Earth to start anew. All because he entered my life and changed it for the better forever.”

Elizabetta gained a depressed expression, “Yeesh, I didn’t realize just how bad you had it, Nina. It certainly made my issues with Izabella seem tame by comparison, as you had to deal with actual laws that restrained you and effectively gave your oppressors free reign to make your life hell. While you said some time ago that the Phoenix Clan is in the process of changing for the better I can see why you want to leave Edyn with Nova and start your life over. While there are probably some pitfalls that you might run into on Earth you will clearly be in a better place than being anywhere near your kingdom.”

Zeeker stated, “Not to change the subject but what should we do about the award ceremony? Should we attend it?”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Yes, we have to. It’s only fair and respectful to the winner. Yes, it’ll be painful for us, as we lost our best chance to get a Goddess Key, but we need to be courteous and respectful to Vok, as he did beat us fair and square. So like it or not we’ll be attending in order to be respectful to the winner.”

Kettu sighed, “Figured you’d say that, Reggie. But, sadly, you’re correct. Even a thief like me knows when to gracefully admit defeat and congratulate a superior fighter for their victory. Even a thief like me has a sense of honor and enough courtesy to admit defeat in a contest like this.”

Van asked, “But what should we do about getting another Goddess Key?”

“Maybe we can ask Jake where he got this Goddess Key and try to track down another one from the information he has?” Angelo suggested. “Even if he got it from one of his sources he could at least point us in that direction for us to try to track another one down by ourselves.”

Zeeker nodded, “That might be our best bet, Angelo. We’ll talk to Jake and Eddy after the ceremony and see if we can get at least an idea of where to find another Goddess Key, since they are aware we need one to save Edyn. I just hope we can find one soon before any remaining Goddess Keys get snatched up by other individuals, since they’re worth a pretty copper.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Agreed, Zeeker. For now, let’s go to the award ceremony, as it should be starting soon. Although Nova is still out cold.”

Nina said, “I’ll stay here with him until he awakens. Especially since I’m worried that Dominic might still be in the area and I’d rather not give him a chance to ambush Nova when he’s in a weakened state. Given what an opportunistic bastard he is I wouldn’t put it past him to try to attack Nova while he’s still recovering from that incredible fight.”

“Good idea, Nina,” Van replied. “We’ll leave him in your hands. We’ll be back after the ceremony. And try not to let him backslide when he does come to his senses. Given how his family messed his head up it’s all but guaranteed that he’ll beat himself up for failing us. We all know how he is whenever he comes up short of any goal or feels he let us down, especially in this war with Muu. So you need to keep him from backsliding and losing all, or at least a chunk, of the progress he’s made as a person in this long journey. You’re the best one to keep him from falling back into old habits because of his fear of failure that his family instilled into him. If anything bad happens send a Fireball into the sky to alert us to the problem. Good luck, Nina.”

The party nodded before gathering up their stuff and making their way to the award ceremony, leaving Nina alone with Nova. She walked over to the inn door and locked it for good measures before sitting back down next to her fiancé, gently holding his hand in hopes of him awakening soon.

The rest of the party soon gathered at the stage where the award ceremony was taking place. All the various competitors and spectators had gathered and were waiting for the ceremony to start. Soon Jake walked onto the stage, with Vok following before standing next to the horseman. Jake cleared his throat before standing at the podium.

He stated in a strong voice, “Competitors, spectators, and all those who took part in another glorious King of Champions tournament. It is time for the award ceremony. This year’s winner, and our undefeated champion, is none other than Vok Cinderblaze! Let’s give him a warm round of applause for his victory in this year’s competition!”

Everyone clapped and cheered as Vok stood proud but with a modest expression. Eddy soon walked up, carrying a trophy, a sack of money, and several items in the trophy’s cup. He presented it to Vok, who graciously took the award, prompting the crowd to cheer and clap again.

“While this year’s tournament had a couple of… issues with certain competitors, and despite the lingering threat of Muu, we still had another successful year. Let’s give our champion another hearty congratulations for not only being victorious in this year’s competition but retaining his undefeated crown. Let’s give it up for Vok Cinderblaze!”

Vok politely bowed, prompting the crowd to cheer and clap.

Jake continued, “And let us not forget the other great competitors who partook in this year’s King of Champions tournament. You all fought well and made it another successful year for our great tournament. You all deserve praise for your hard work and incredible skills. And with that another tournament has come to a close. Train hard and stay strong, as this tournament may be over, but the next one has yet to be started. Who knows? Next year’s winner could be anyone. And with that our great and noble tournament comes to its glorious end. Stick around for the fireworks tonight to bring another successful tournament to a close. Until next year. Fight on!”

The crowd cheered and clapped again and began dispersing to rest and await for the fireworks. The party heaved collective sighs before making their way to the inn to check on Nova and Nina. Vok noticed them and the cogs in his mind began spinning.

The party soon returned to the inn. Sir Reginald gently grabbed the doorknob and tried to turn it, only to find it was locked.

“Lady Nina, it’s us,” he said. “Can you unlock the door?”

“Just a second!” Nina’s voice could be heard from the other side.

There was the sound of footsteps, followed by the sound of the locks being undone, and soon Nina opened the door.

“Sorry, but it was just in case Dominic or any other annoyance showed up,” she said. “Anyway, Nova’s awake now. He came to his senses about seven or eight minutes ago. How’d the award ceremony go?”

“Uneventful,” Kettu replied simply. “And before you ask, no, we didn’t get a chance to talk to Jake or Eddy, as they’re finalizing the closing ceremonies with fireworks. So we’ll have to wait to talk to them until after the fireworks show.”

“I see. Anyway, do come in.”

She walked back to where Nova was, allowing the rest of the party to enter. He was sitting upright in his bed, a sad smile on his face. He turned to see the party enter the room.

“Hey, gang,” he said with a weak smile. “It was good of you to go to the award ceremony. Sorry I couldn’t attend, but I’ve only just awakened so I’m still shaking some of the mental cobwebs out of my head. I take it the award ceremony went off without a hitch?”

“Pretty much, yes,” Zeeker nodded. “At least there was no sign of Dominic or anything like that, especially since I wouldn’t put it past him to try to steal the grand prize from Vok. Though given Vok’s skill and power that’s like trying to steal a piece of meat from a dragon. Simply put, it wouldn’t end well for Domi. But we’re glad to see you awake. How do you feel?”

“A tad sore physically, and pretty tired, but I’ve suffered worse,” Nova replied. “I’m aware that Nina used one of her Magic Fire Feathers to heal me after that thrashing I took. I thanked her for that. So… what do we do now? We lost our chance to get a Goddess Key. So what’s our plan to try to track down another one?”

Van quirked an eyebrow, “You’re… surprisingly calm, Nova. We were expecting you to have taken a blow to your confidence at best or suffered a backslide at worse.”

“Well, my confidence has been damaged, and I’m pretty upset with myself for failing to get us that Goddess Key, but Nina managed to smack some sense into me. Literally.”

It took a moment for the party to process this before they all exclaimed, “WHAT!?”

“Nina… hit you?!” Zeeker sputtered. “She’s never done that!”

Nina gained a stain on her face, “I admit I’m not happy with myself for striking Nova like that, as I usually just settle for squishing his cheeks whenever he annoys or angers me. But Nova was having bit of a meltdown because he failed to get that Goddess Key, causing him to, indeed, backslide. I couldn’t stand to see it so I ended up slapping him across the face. It did the trick, as he instantly calmed down and regained his focus, reversing any potential damage. I’m not proud of myself, as I’ve never struck him before, showing how good our relationship is, but it helped keep him from going overboard.”

Sir Reginald looked concerned, “So you did have a meltdown, Nova.”

Nova blushed, “Yes, I did. I knew how critical it was for us to get that Goddess Key. Coming short of succeeding again really got my feathers in an uproar. Really, the fact that coming up short of any goal or expectation has been a recurring problem that has plagued my life for so long it’s no surprise that, during such a critical mission, me failing to get the item we needed when everyone was counting on me really stings. But Nina’s slap managed to knock some sense into me and helped me get my head on straight again. I’m still upset, mind you, as this is a problem that’s been the bane of my existence for years, and my confidence has been damaged, but I managed to reverse course and prevent myself from sinking into the pit of despair and self-pity. Vok was just simply a better fighter, that’s all there is to it. And while we lost our best chance at a Goddess Key we do know there are others out there. We’ll just have to figure out a new plan and hope for the best.”

The party was stunned at Nova’s resolve but they soon broke into warm smiles.

“We’re glad to see you’ve steeled your resolve and prevented yourself from losing all your progress that you’ve developed as a person during this trip,” Kettu said warmly. “It just proves how much you’ve matured.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “Indeed, Kettu. It’s good to see that, despite coming up short again, you know what you need to do and are willing to move forward despite the setback, Nova. It’s proof of just how strong and noble you’ve become. Your parents would be proud of you. And they’d be ashamed of themselves for how badly they’ve neglected your talents and squandered your potential because it didn’t align with their stupid uniformism mentality.”

Nova clenched his fists and gritted his teeth, saying in a bitter tone, “It’s amazing how much my family messed me up. Downplaying my strengths, emphasizing my faults, instilling a fear of failure into me, feeding my insecurities, and treating me like I’m a disgrace to the family name for things that were out of my control. All of that ruined me and made me a pathetic dreg of a person with no backbone or any self-worth. I plan to give them what for after this adventure is over. Assuming I don’t die first. It speaks volumes that you, Sir Reginald, proved to be a better father figure to me than my own dad, helping me grow while remaining in your shadow. It wasn’t a perfect fit, mind, but it was better job than what my dad did for me. And having Nina’s continuous support and faith certainly helped me realize I had to stop living like a worthless coward and become something more. Really, all of you helped me become something more than I ever was before and I’m forever grateful. But enough of this. You said there are going to be fireworks as part of the closing ceremonies? I want to see them, since it could be a chance to have a bit of romantic time with Nina.”

Nina giggled, “I’d be down for that. Especially after the fact I had to hit you, which I feel pretty bad about.”

“Don’t, Nina, as I needed it. You kept me from losing all my progress that I’ve developed as a person and helped me regain my focus and will to push forward. It was necessary and I’m grateful for it. The fact you were willing to strike me in hopes of helping me shows just how much you care about me. Really, I don’t deserve you, but the fact you settled for me over any other man, like the then-Prince Falkner, means the world to me. Now, enough of this. Let’s go find a good spot to enjoy the fireworks.”

“Do you have the strength to stand, Nova?” Angelo asked, concerned.

“Let’s find out.”

Nova managed to position himself on the side of the bed. He slipped on his Hoverboots, took a deep breath, and managed to stand upright. He stumbled briefly but quickly regained his balance. After taking a moment he strapped on his Digi-Pack and started to make his way out the door. The party smiled as they saw him walk forward and they all followed him outside. The sun was starting to set, indicating the fireworks would soon start. The group soon found a comfortable place to watch the show.

After the sun had set and darkness blanketed the land soon the fireworks were launched from behind the arena, exploding in a brilliant display of color in the night sky. Nova and Nina exchanged a tender kiss as they watched the fireworks, enjoying each other’s company, while Zeeker and Elizabetta nuzzled against each other, to the approval of the rest of the party. Soon the finale finished, allowing everyone to retreat to their beds to rest.

Dawn soon broke over the horizon. The party slowly stirred from their slumber. After managing to get up they went downstairs into the dining hall to eat breakfast.

“How do you feel, Nova?” Van asked.

“Still a tad sore physically, and my body feels a bit stiff, but I’ll live,” Nova replied. “More importantly, we’re going to have a chat with Jake and Eddy about where they might be able to point us in the direction of another Goddess Key, right?”

Sir Reginald nodded, “That’s correct, Nova. We’ll go to Jake’s office and ask him if he can give us any ideas or clues where he got this particular Goddess Key and see if we can track down another one from that information. Anything can be a useful lead at this point. Hopefully we can track one down before long, as we need that Goddess Key in order to finally topple Muu once and for all. But don’t push yourself too hard, either, Nova, as you just recovered from a rather vicious fight.”

“I’ll be sure to pace myself, Sir Reginald, don’t worry. Hopefully we’ll get a lead and be able to track down another Goddess Key. For now, let’s finish breakfast and make our way to Jake’s office.”

The party nodded and resumed eating. After finishing their breakfast they gathered up their stuff and started to make their way toward the arena.

Suddenly, a bombastic voice sneered, “Looks like you’re not invincible, huh, pinky?”

Everyone groaned and turned to see Dominic walk up to them, a smug expression on his face. He was wearing what looked like basic clothing and was mostly healed, indicating that Eddy had gotten him clothes and had him treated after falling into the lava.

“Whattya want, Dominic?” Zeeker growled. “We’ve got important business to attend to. So get lost before we gut you like a fish.”

Dominic sneered, looking at Nova, “You lost the final fight. And yet everyone thinks you’re going to save all of Edyn? Hah! What a joke. If you can’t beat an overgrown lizard what chance to you have against Muu? None, that’s what. It just goes to show that you’re not as good as everyone thinks you are. It’s clear as day you’re a fake and won’t be able to save Edyn. Unlike me, who deserves the praise and glory that you’re stealing from me! But that fight proves you’re not good enough to be a champion of anything, much less the Demon King’s champion.”

“Says the guy who’s lost every fight he’s been in!” Kettu snapped. “At least Nova has quite the body count of Muu’s forces under his belt. You don’t have even one Undead Soldier under yours, much less brutes like Juggerrot and Vertebreak. So he lost one fight. Big deal. You’ve lost every fight you’ve participated in, proving to be a worthless waste of space. Even your own mother must be ashamed of you. After all, who in their right mind would betray Edyn for Muu just to make themselves look like a big-shot? So you really don’t have room to be critical of Nova losing one fight when your track record is abysmal.”

Nina spat, “That’s true! Don’t get high-and-mighty because Nova lost a fight to a skilled opponent because you wouldn’t have fared any better. Considering you lost in the first round by defeating yourself with your showboating that resulted in you falling into the lava you really can’t flaunt your ego at Nova, who came inches from victory against a superior opponent. Face it, Dominic: Nova is a hero and a skilled warrior, and he WILL be the reason why Edyn will be freed from Muu’s suffocating presence once and for all. Considering you threw in your lot with Muu just to make yourself look big your hated status is well-deserved at this point. Nova is reliable and can be entrusted with whatever task he’s assigned. Unlike you, who couldn’t be trusted to do anything. So just go away, as we’ve got more important things to do than deal with your inflated ego.”

Dominic was about to say something when someone tapped him on the shoulder, growling, “You have some nerve showing your face around here, Dominic. And you have an even bigger nerve to flaunt your inflated ego against Nova, who is clearly your superior in every way.”

Dominic turned sharply, growling, “Who asked yo—” only to freeze as he looked up and saw Vok glaring down at him.

Vok snarled, “You have no right to be so high-and-mighty when everyone knows you’re a dirty, cowardly traitor to Edyn who is willing to sell anyone out in order to feed your undeserved gargantuan ego. So don’t think for a second you’ve got the high ground because Nova lost one fight, as your track record is pathetic. Considering that Nova gave me a serious run for my money for the first time in over 100 years, pushing me to the edge and coming inches from victory, while you can’t even handle basic Gummies. You have no right to act as his superior when he’s clearly the better man. Time for you to take your medicine, you backstabbing traitor.”

He grabbed Dominic by the face with his large reptilian hand.

“Mommy…” Dominic whimpered pathetically.

Vok lit Dominic on fire, grabbed his legs with his flaming tail, and proceeded to slam him back and forth on the ground behind him while he was still on fire.

Vok turned to Nova, “Don’t listen to a word he said, Nova. You are truly strong. And extremely resourceful. I’ve never met an opponent like you, much less a Demon King’s champion of your caliber. Like I said back in the fight: I’ve fought against three of your predecessors and not one of them remotely impressed me. But you gave me a serious challenge for the first time in decades, if not longer. For the first time in decades I could feel my blood rushing through my veins, and I admit I even panicked at one point when you fired your Goddess-tier skill at me. So don’t listen to a word that slimy traitor says: you clearly proved your worth. Edyn is in good hands with you acting as our Demon King champion.”

Nova nodded, gaining a small smile, “Thank you, Vok. Your words mean a lot to me, especially since I’m still somewhat of a rookie fighter compared with most everyone else. Well, except some people. I appreciate what you’re saying. I just hope your faith in me is justified, as my party and I need to find a replacement item for the one we lost to you.”

Vok replied, “Speaking of which, what was the item you needed that prompted you to enter this tournament?”

Sir Reginald replied, “We needed the Goddess Key. We won’t say much to avoid Muu’s army getting wind of our plan, but the alliance and the Demon King have a plan to break down Muu’s barrier so we can finally storm his castle. But we needed the Goddess Key as the last element to ensure the plan will work. That’s why we entered the tournament.”

The Salamander warrior scratched his chin, “So that’s what you needed: the Goddess Key.”

To everyone’s surprise he reached into his backpack and pulled out the Goddess Key. Furthering their surprise he held it out to Nova.

“Here, take the Goddess Key.”

Nova’s eyes were wide, “A-Are you sure, Vok? You won it fair and square.”

Vok nodded, “Yes. To me, it’s just a trinket to hang on my wall. But to you, it’s the key to Edyn’s salvation. I don’t mind parting with it; it’ll be more useful to you than it will be to me. If it helps get rid of that cowardly cretin Muu then it’s worth giving it up to someone who will lead the charge against him. So take it with my regards.”

The party exchanged surprised looks before Nova gingerly took the Goddess Key. The party gave it a good examination. It was a large key: easily the size of a book, made of gold, with a dark blue gem in the teardrop-shaped hole for a handle, two rubies attached to the ends of the cross on the handle, and a diamond imbedded in the front. Nova put the Goddess Key away, looking up at Vok with wide but thankful eyes.

“Thank you, Vok,” he said. “We appreciate this, as it makes our efforts in this tournament worth it. We were actually going to ask Jake if he knew where this Goddess Key came from so we could hopefully find another one. But you were willing to part with it in order to help us save Edyn. Thank you for your generosity.”

Vok smiled, “My pleasure. If it saves all of Edyn from Muu then it’s worth handing it over to you. And speaking of which, you can count on me to join you in the final fight against Muu.”

Elizabetta looked surprise, “Wait. You’re going to join us in the final fight? As a party member?”

“Not quite. I’m going to resume training for now but when it’s time to storm Muu’s castle you can count on me to join you as part of the cavalry. Because I doubt the alliance will have you eight do all the heavy lifting in storming the castle.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “That’s a fair point. And King Hendrik did say to me a while back that he plans to give us aid when the final charge begins against Muu. So it’s safe to assume that we’ll be having some backup during the final fight.”

“So we might have an entire army assisting us in the final push against Muu’s forces?” Zeeker asked. “That’ll be a huge help then, as it could allow us to preserve our energy and mana so we can fight Muu at full force. Now we’re talkin’.”

Van nodded, “Indeed, Zeeker. And having someone strong like Vok as part of that cavalry will be an even bigger boon to us.”

Vok smiled, “Exactly my point. So count on me to join you in the final push against Muu. If that Goddess Key will help secure our win then it’s worth giving it to you.” He then gained an idea, “Hold on, I have one last thing to give you, Nova.”

He reached into his backpack and pulled out what looked like a magical accessory. It looked like a teardrop-shaped charm made from ivory, attached to a sturdy string, with magical beads on the string, and a magical gem on the front.

“Take this Ivory Charm with you. It might come in handy.”

Nova asked, “What’s an Ivory Charm? And are you sure you’re willing to part with it?”

Nina explained, “An Ivory Charm is one of the rarest and most powerful of all magical accessories. It boosts various resistances against all forms of magic, gradually heals the user as they wear it, weakens the effect of elemental magic damage by a sizable amount, gradually restores mana energy, prevents status ailments, boosts vitality, increases luck, and strengthens the power of spells and skills. It’s an extremely valuable magical accessory that most people never see in their lifetime. But like Nova said are you sure you’re okay with parting with it, Vok?”

Vok nodded, “Yes. Ivory Charms are part of the grand prize each year in this tournament, so I’ve got a huge collection of them at this point. I even wear one. I don’t mind giving this one to you, especially if it can help you overcome the last few strongholds Muu has left. So take it with my regards, as you deserve it.”

Nova smiled again and took the Ivory Charm from Vok. He took a moment to look it over before putting it around his neck, the charm dangling between his collarbones.

“Thank you, Vok,” he said sincerely. “I very much appreciate this. And thank you for offering to join us in the final charge against Muu. Having someone of your strength and skill level will be a huge asset to us in finally toppling that big bone boss once and for all. I suggest you talk to King Hendrik to inform him that you’ll be joining us in the final fight.”

Sir Reginald nodded, “I agree. Talk to King Hendrik so you can learn the finer points of our plan to topple Muu.”

Nova then got an idea, “Hold on. I have an idea.”

He rummaged in his Digi-Pack before extracting something from it, presenting it to Vok.

“Here, Vok, a little something from me as thanks. It’s one of my homemade magical accessories. Specifically, it’s an Aqua Ring. It contains a Water Seed as its core. It’s similar to an Aqua Ward only it’s much stronger; the effects of the Water Seed that is used as its core is doubled. So it’ll increase your resistance to Water damage by 66% compared to 50% for an Aqua Ward or the 33% that the Water Seed grants for 24 hours. And since you’re a Fire element lizardman it’s safe to assume you have a weakness to Water. So take this as a token of my thanks.”

Vok smiled as he took the ring. He looked it over for a moment before placing it on his right pointer finger.

“Thank you, Nova,” he said with a smile. “I wasn’t aware you make magical accessories. And you’re right: I do have a weakness to Water. So this’ll come in handy, especially if it’s stronger than an Aqua Ward. Thank you very much.”

Dominic, who was still on fire and getting slammed into the ground by Vok during the entire conversation, protested, “Does anybody care that I’m on fire and getting beat up!?”

“No!” everyone else said bluntly.

Vok growled, “Time to deal with you and get you out of Nova’s hair.”

He swung his tail in a circle repeatedly before hurling Dominic into the air. Dominic screamed in terror as he was catapulted into the air before smashing through a skylight in the arena, plummeting into the lava pit inside the Trial by Fire Hall and sinking below the surface. Jake and Eddy, who happened to be in the room, witnessed this event, gaining exasperated expressions.

“Not again…” Eddy sighed.

“I thought you said you got rid of him,” Jake said.

“I did. He must’ve snuck back in during the closing ceremonies or something.” Eddy soon gained a smirk, “I know how to get rid of him this time.”

He whispered something into Jake’s ear, making the older horseman brother smirk.

“Excellent idea, Eddy,” he grinned. “I’ll take care of the necessary preparations. You fish Dominic out of the lava so we can send him off with a bang.”

The two horsemen brothers nodded before splitting up to do their assigned tasks. Soon Dominic surfaced from the lava and began clawing his way up the side of the arena, his clothes burned off, leaving him naked, and his hair was smoldering. Eddy quickly ran over and managed to heave the bloated goon onto the ground before dragging him away, much to Dominic’s protests. Soon they came to a ledge behind the arena. There Jake was preparing a massive firework rocket, making Dominic’s eyes widen in horror. The two horsemen brothers quickly tied Dominic onto the rocket, much to his whining protests.

Jake lit a match, smirking, “Happy trails, Dominic. Never again will you disgrace our noble tournament!”

He lit the fuse of the firework, making Dominic panic. Soon the end of the firework was ignited and rocketed into the sky, Dominic screaming in fear. The firework detonated in the sky, drowning out Dominic’s screams, much to the confusion of everyone else.

“Why did another firework go off?” a man asked.

“Beats me,” a woman replied. “Maybe they forgot to light one yesterday? Or maybe it’s to signal the end of the tournament? Who knows?”

The party had just left the arena town at the time when they witnessed the firework go off.

“Odd…” Van said, scratching his chin. “Why did another firework go off?”

Nina shrugged, “Who knows? Maybe it was to act as a final celebration to the end of the tournament?”

Kettu gained a dark grin, “Or maybe Dominic was attached to it so he could go out with a bang?”

Elizabetta smirked darkly, “Wouldn’t that be nice?”

Sir Reginald chuckled, “Perhaps. But anyway, despite losing the tournament itself, we got what we needed: the Goddess Key thanks to Vok’s generosity. And we gained another ally in the fight against Muu. So while our little adventure here didn’t quite go as planned we ultimately got what we needed. Now we have everything required to finally tackle Muu and his barrier.”

Zeeker punched his fist into his palm, “I hear ya. And I’m looking forward to it. We’re on the cusp of winning this war and now we have all the needed parts of our plan. It’s only a matter of time.”

“Here, here,” Angelo said heartily.

Nova nodded, “Indeed. Now, let’s get going, as we still have more of Muu’s minions to mash.”

The party nodded and continued on their journey. They felt good knowing they had everything they needed to finally topple Muu. And that they had gained a new ally in the process. They knew it was just a matter of time before the final fight would take place. But they also knew that Muu wouldn’t give up without a fight.

Next Chapter: What a Fight for a Knight

That's all for today, folks. Looks like the final battle will soon be upon the party. Will they succeed? Tune in next time to see what our heroes face.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom