• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dawning Draws

an asana cause I wanted to render.jpg
I wanted to try fitting more sparkly rendered eyes into a style that has lineart cause I've usually only done that with lineless styles. So naturally I drew Yugioh fanart to test it. I... vaguely think it seems to work? I think I might've overdone it a tad seeing it more zoomed out, but eh.

Got a whole buncha stuff today, here we go. I'm only breaking things down into spoilers by fandom rather than one per drawing for the sake of my sanity.

femslashfeb d1 stars.jpg

femshlashfeb d2 sunflower.jpg

femshlashfeb d2 retro in colour.jpg

femshlashfeb d2 retro greyscale.jpg

paldea pals.jpg

what if i drew rio but emo.jpg

galaxy moon.jpg

turbo shark.jpg

Strings of Fate.jpg

hunter experiments.jpg

hunter flapjack.jpg

willow fish pillow.jpg

ZD Past and Present Contest Entry.jpg

femshlashfeb d3 storm.jpg

Hi, meant to announce this earlier yesterday but I'm planning on doing another art stream on my YouTube channel this evening. Aiming for 6 PM CST this time, but if anyone wants to come and can't make that time please just let me know and we can adjust.
We're up and running! @InfiniteBakuphoon fiigured I'd ping you since you usually come, sorry if this is a bother.

coronet.jpg

unova forest.jpg

azula.jpg

Atachi Office.jpg

voodoo 2.jpg

I feel like there's more stuff I have but my art folder is not organized so I can't find it.

mira figure.jpg
This was a bit of a warm-up drawing, wasn't really in the mood to render at the moment. Figured I'd kill two birds with one warmup and do a bit of practice with poses outside my usual defaults and spend some time figuring out how Mira might dress more casually.

nari lui xar.jpg
This took... so fucking long to render. Overall I quite like how this turned out (except the horrid hands but that's par for the course), but I still don't know that it deserved the several hours and 300+ layers I spent on it.

lineless ig.jpg
This is... not the best piece I've made. I hadn't gone lineless in a good while so I think that might be the main issue, I was kinda rusty at this sort of style.

some girl.jpg
...Ugh. I feel like I've kinda been getting the hang of heads from the side, but I really have not figured out how to do the shoulders down that way. Ultimately I do think the character looks fine as is, but I do want to figure that out anyway. Also this background is very ugly because it was a complete afterthought.

collector and king finished.jpg
Screenshot redraw from For the Future, it was my avatar for a while as you might recall. Not as happy with the lighting on this one as I feel like I was initially but such is time, though I still really like how I did King's skull.

Harpie.jpg
I had a pose and didn't want to learn to draw a new character for it, and I felt like Harpie Girl fit what I was going for. Was a bit worried about how the wings would fit into it but I think that worked alright actually. A bit disappointed in the foreshortening on the hand-claws but that aside I think it looks nice.

sora rerender.jpg
Redid the rendering on this old thing because I felt like rendering something but not like coming up with a new idea. Why didn't I render a more recent drawing that I didn't render when I initally did it? I don't know. Honestly I'm not sure which version of this one looks better, despite being fairly old I do still like the way the initial version looks...

fight fight fight fightr.jpg
This was not supposed to take as long as it did. I almost didn't render it at all because I didn't intend to care about this piece. Three hundred layers later... I'm not terribly happy with the rendering on this one, there are a lot of places where it's not blended as smoothly as I feel like I want it too be, and Mira's hands in this piece are some of the worst I've drawn in a good while. I also wish I'd pushed her expression more, especially with how expressive I feel like the other two are.

daughter of space rio.jpg
Found this colour palette and my first though was "Rio" and so it became. Not much to say about it admittedly, I was just kinda short on inspiration in the moment so.

paying attention.jpg

leaving.jpg

Train.jpg
\
Crowd.jpg
I'm just gonna lump these all together because I am too lazy to write something up for each of them. I'm pretty happy with all but the first on of these, I should commit to actually putting some effort into backgrounds more often. I think the lighting on the last one is probably utterly inconsistent, I didn't mark down the direction of the light source so I just kinda threw colours on the canvas. Which, to be fair, is what I did with all of them, but for the other three I at least vaguely knew where the light source was for the others.

Oh, wow! Your art has improved a lot since last I saw it! Keep it up Dawning, you're trying new skills AND studying your own pieces, and it shows! Loving how it's going!
Thanks so much Blanc! I definitely feel like I've been making some pretty significant improvements, even just in the past few months, and it means a ton to know that other people are seeing the same things!

Seconded, you definitely have! Your art gets stronger each and every time I see it, especially in places like your shading and handling of anatomy. I can tell you're studying hard, and it's both very inspirational and totally paying off!

I love that Harpie Girl in your most recent post, so vibrant and dynamic. And I know you said you weren't paying much attention to lighting on those last four pieces, but I really like that about the second one — the glow from the windows and the sliver of light casting across their face really add to the atmosphere of the whole thing. :bulbaLove:

Seconded, you definitely have! Your art gets stronger each and every time I see it, especially in places like your shading and handling of anatomy. I can tell you're studying hard, and it's both very inspirational and totally paying off!

I love that Harpie Girl in your most recent post, so vibrant and dynamic. And I know you said you weren't paying much attention to lighting on those last four pieces, but I really like that about the second one — the glow from the windows and the sliver of light casting across their face really add to the atmosphere of the whole thing. :bulbaLove:
Thanks Oki!! I do agree that that second one of those last few did turn out nice lighting wise-- even if I didn't have the clearest plan, just having the light source in the image always makes lighting a lot easier to get somewhat right.

nope it's coloured not.jpg
I wasn't really planning to colour this one, I was just making fun of myself for putting the Boko Club in the wrong hand on a different piece (which you will see later probably), but ME decided he wanted to make this his avatar and I couldn't in good conscience allow someone to use my uncoloured artwork as an avatar. (Apparently I also forgot to shade the pants but who gives a damn.) Anyway this is exactly what happened the first time ME attempted to fight a mobile guardian, ask him yourself if you don't believe me.

damamu avi.jpg
I hate the pose on this one more as each day passes, and I don't even know why. This was my avatar until like yesterday which was a. the point where I hated this too much to keep it as my avatar and b. the point where I finally drew something to replace it with.

let the living be sealed in light.jpg
This is something I've been meaning to do for a while. It didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped; the Monster Reborn in the background doesn't quite look right and I'm not overly fond of how the light coming from it looks, but I do feel like I did well with the actual shading on this and am surprisingly pleased with the text on this, aside from a couple places where it blends into the background (which is also a bit of an issue with Yuga's wings in a couple spots but oh well.)

mira punch.jpg
I was trying to experiment a bit with showing motion a little. Didn't work as well as I'd hoped. I think I went a little overboard with the line things to show it in a few places.

up.jpg
This started with me experimenting a bit with poses. I don't do seated poses terribly often or anything resembling a push-up basically ever, so I did that. Then I decided to also experiment with coloring, or rather a lack thereof. There's only a few places I don't feel like this worked: Mira's ankles and a couple spots on her hair are the main ones, plus the hard shadow across Taylor's face feels like a bit much, but otherwise I'm really happy with how well this works.

Fair warning before opening this next one, there is quite a bit of blood in it.
blood.jpg
One of these days I'm actually going to understand clothing rips and blood (maybe), but today does not appear to be that day. That said, this piece did make me really feel like I could do lighting more than any other piece I've done recently, though I can't decide if I still stand by that feeling...

judai.jpg
Started rewatching GX recently, did something quick and fun because I felt it, not much else to say about this.

Hey, Dawning! I just want to know that I see definitive progress in your drawings here and elsewhere, and that you should be proud of yourself for that, and for venturing out and trying some new things, too! Your experiment in black-and-white is especially interesting in your style, haha, and really shows said style off well. I was also pretty convinced with your motion experiment, too! So keep your head up and keep up the good work! I’ll be looking forward to more, as always.

1685665213520.png

avery.jpg
Been working with lineless a little again. I feel like it's gotten better since last time I messed around with this. I'm particular pleased with the second on, sleepy Slowpoke is cute and I like her hair.

1685665242151.png
Pose didn't quite turn out as dramatical as I had intended but I really enjoy this outfit it's cute. No I didn't shade everything on this no I also don't care.

1685665268244.png

1685665856740.png
Silly messy Yu-Gi-Oh! scribbles. Messing with the scribbly no colours shading I was a bit in the last post.

1685665313352.png
More silly Yu-Gi-Oh but this time with effort. I was in a bit of a funk so I just said "heck it, Yu-Gi-Oh mahou team. Sounds fun". It was I'm happy.

1685665357017.png
I hate this piece more every day that goes by since I finished it. Was shooting for a pretty whimsical feel and just. Did not manage.

Hey, Dawning! I just want to know that I see definitive progress in your drawings here and elsewhere, and that you should be proud of yourself for that, and for venturing out and trying some new things, too! Your experiment in black-and-white is especially interesting in your style, haha, and really shows said style off well. I was also pretty convinced with your motion experiment, too! So keep your head up and keep up the good work! I’ll be looking forward to more, as always.
Also sorry I completely forgot to respond to this Bakuphoon! I really appreciate this, I'm glad you enjoy it!!

1686796185155.png
More Yu-Gi-Oh! mahou cause I bored. Had a lot of fun with the poses on this one, particularly Romin and Yuamu's. Not as happy with Romin's outfit though, it feels more boring than all the rest, but I guess that's just how it goes.

1686796347957.png
Messing with a different colouring method. I'm not sure how I feel about it; it took a really really long time and I don't know that it really looks any better.

1686796455511.png
From a telephone game on a discord server. I think I picked the wrong colour for the outlines and I wish I'd had more time to shade but.

1686796559651.png

1686796592140.png
Honestly not much worth saying about these ones.

1686796651360.png
I don't know how to do glare effects, but that aside, I feel like this turned out nice, not much on it otherwise.

MElli-0.png
Avatar requested by Melli Enthusiast (Maniacal Engineer). I had a few ideas but finishing any of them was taking too long so this is what I got.

1687115763855.png
1687115814319.png
Been working on making myself draw backgrounds more. I don't hate these.

1687115856196.png
Drew this last night on stream for the Bulbagarden Twitch; I'll be streaming art there every Saturday evening going forward, y'all should drop by if you're ever free when I'm live!

Exactly what it says on the tin- It's an art thread, I post my art here. Mostly pencil and paper art, but I do digital art sometimes, too.

To start us off, I have an Oshawatt.
View attachment 131309
Background is a blur of colors because I can't do backgrounds
And a Cottenee.
I like the Oshawott, was that drawn freehand?

Back
Top Bottom