• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dead Pokemon

GreatLiver

Well-Respected Member
Reaction score
What is all of you guys' perspectives on dead pokemon? First off do you think pokemon die to begin with? Do pokemon become gastleys and Shuppets when they die, or just nothing? Also what happens if a ghost pokemon dies since it's already dead, but it's stilll a pokemon?

Personally, I like the idea that pokemon just turn back into energy, if for no other reason that it makes pokemon impossible to eat (eating pokemon disturbs me).

And no, I don't believe that pokemon turn into ghastly and haunter. It just doesn't make sense - ghost pokemon have their own attacks, strengths, weaknesses and personalities and there's nothing to suggest that they used to belong to a greater variety of creatures.

I think that ghost pokemon are still living creatures but have been labelled as ghosts by humans because of the nature of their powers and forms.

They die, and go to the other realm. Bodies stay on earth.

Ghost pokemon don't die, they get destroyed and get stuck in the other realm with the rest of them.

I don't think the other pokemon turn into the ghost pokemon either. There was that Marowak ghost in the Pokemon Tower, and also countless Cubone. (They're ghosts without the Silph Scope, I know) Ghost pokemon themselves, though, are harder to explain. I think Ghost pokemon are just something that has been animated by some mystical force, and they exist as being partially in our world, and partially in the other world. When their form in this world expires, their energy just gets released.

Personally, I like the idea that pokemon just turn back into energy, if for no other reason that it makes pokemon impossible to eat (eating pokemon disturbs me).

Except Farfetch'd is canonically considered a delicacy... do they eat it alive? o_O

I could've sworn that they were. Oh well, at least that Marowak is.

The Marowak ghost is evidence for Pokémon not becoming ghost Pokémon on death. It also leaves the world once you lay it to rest, IIRC.

In Red/Blue some NPC said that the pokemon in the tower were the "restless souls of pokemon that Team Rocket killed"

Which I strongly doubt. There was such a to-do about the Marowak (which for some reason is always called "Cubone's Mother" rather than Marowak), I think we would have heard of it elsewhere if the Rockets had been killing pokemon on a regular basis.

Ketsuban said:
Except Farfetch'd is canonically considered a delicacy... do they eat it alive? o_O
Also some pokemon like Houndoom are carnivorous so I wonder if they eat pokemon or like real animals, because if I remember correctly there were atleast normal fish in the episode where the SS Anne sunk, but they might have just gotten rid of them since then

There were also fish in the aquarium at the Cerulean Gym, but these days it only seems to be inhabited by Horsea and Starmie. Generally, what is seen in early Kanto must be taken with caution unless it is supported by something later on.

You don't eat your friends, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people killed Pokémon for the delicacy.

Well, by how Latios died... I think they could become ghosts, or pass on to some other world.
Like a Pokemon sort of heaven. ... Wouldn't that be weird? xD

Yeah, but in Johto, was it? There were fish too.

So I guess fish do exist there.

Another Fan said:
They die, and go to the other realm. Bodies stay on earth.

Ghost pokemon don't die, they get destroyed and get stuck in the other realm with the rest of them.

Explain the Giant Haunter in Chapter 4 of the Electric Tale of Pikachu manga.

FabuVinny said:
You don't eat your friends, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people killed Pokémon for the delicacy.
Ethics-, and animal-rights- wise, that opens up a whole new can of worms.

FabuVinny said:
Food Pokemon (like food animals in our world) are probably raised on farms as a food source, not trained. And people might hunt Pokemon for their meat and fur.

QuietDragon said:
Well, by how Latios died... I think they could become ghosts, or pass on to some other world.
Like a Pokemon sort of heaven. ... Wouldn't that be weird? xD

Hmm, I have a (nearly compleate) lack of knowledge in the Anime and Movie series, when did Latios die?

At the end of the fifth movie. He sacraficed himself to save the city/island Alto Mare (I think, anyway; I haven't acutally seen the movie).

If a trainer gets lost in, say, the desert in Route 111, I think it's a fair assumption that they could eat Pokémon as a survival metod.

Please note: The thread is from 16 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom