• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

Yeah, I noticed the dialogue felt stiff, compared to DPt which was a bit more fun, but nothing that I'd say was "inhuman"...

Although I DO wish more people got accents like Clay...he was my favorite Gym Leader in the dub for that reason alone.

I... didn't really notice anything. I mean, it's not really any better or worse than the previous games (anyone remember gems like "You better have BURN HEAL!"?)

I liked the older dialogue better. I also didn't like how x attack Missed was replaced with "The x Avoided the attack". That's an example of the lamer translation.

TPCi = Fail. They have been failing with the anime in the past, but they only failed harder with the games with HGSS (slots), and now with this and the GTS fail, makes me think TPCi = Epic Fail.

I liked the older dialogue better. I also didn't like how x attack Missed was replaced with "The x Avoided the attack". That's an example of the lamer translation.

TPCi = Fail. They have been failing with the anime in the past, but they only failed harder with the games with HGSS (slots), and now with this and the GTS fail, makes me think TPCi = Epic Fail.
How is it actually lamer? Going form making it seem like your two Pokemon are just standing there and your guy just happens to suck at aiming at a still target to showing that they're actively trying to avoid each other's attacks?

Lol at the OP, as I talk like that all the time. And seriously, it really does not matter.

I don't notice any difference. *shrug*

Same here. I don't notice a difference on how the dialogue is said, except for the fact that I have noticed that this game isn't sprinkled with memes. Even if I did notice a difference, I support Outrage's idea that since Unova is a different region than in past games, and is I believe that Unova was hinted to be farther away from the Japan based regions during development, that dialect would be different from region to region. Hell, a New York accent is different from an Ohio accent, which is different from a Texas accent, etc.

How is "I am happy." different from "I'm happy."?
Wait, that's the complaints? The lack of using contractions?

Yet the first thing I noticed was how distinct the triplet gym leaders talk with Cilan stuttering, Chili being energetic and Cress overly formal.

Because clearly it's natural for an entire nation to talk as if they just went through Google Translate...

I'm not so sure that Unova is an entire nation within itself. I could be wrong, but it could just be a regional custom to speak formally.

But, here's some examples proving otherwise right at the start of the game.

If you get strong, you can move forward.
If you move foreward, you'll be stronger.
That's the cool thing about journeys!
Woman in Accumula Town​

Pokémon will be strong if you train them, even if they're weak now.
Love is what's important!
Man in Accumula Town​

Hi, hi! Let's play Pokémon rock-paper-scissors!
Girl in Accumula Town​

Battles between Pokémon Trainers are serious affairs you can't run from!
Girl on Route 2​

How is "I am happy." different from "I'm happy."?

It's contracted, for one. And it's the difference of formality. If someone keeps contracting words, they aren't being formal, and that adds an air of ease instead of alienating the person they're talking to.
Additionally, using "I am" instead of "I'm" implies assertion.

I'm not so sure that Unova is an entire nation within itself. I could be wrong, but it could just be a regional custom to speak formally.

It's contracted, for one. And it's the difference of formality. If someone keeps contracting words, they aren't being formal, and that adds an air of ease instead of alienating the person they're talking to.
Additionally, using "I am" instead of "I'm" implies assertion.

Even so, Me(From Chicago and talks formal) and my friends(They talk country with contractions) it's not that big a deal. I think these complaints are beyond ridiculous as hell.

Even so, Me(From Chicago and talks formal) and my friends(They talk country with contractions) it's not that big a deal. I think these complaints are beyond ridiculous as hell.

It's all inference.

I noticed the text was a little odd, but that could be from the fact that I'm not far in the game yet and everything's "tutorial-esque". Nonetheless, I'm not complaining.

So its just someone's minor nitpick then?

Really, if there's anything noticeable with dialogue it was Ranger SoA to GS, being heavily plot-based, you notice that there aren't as many funny lines, but that may just be due to the lack of a strong side-cast like they had in SoA.

Or TPCi's attempt at using meme's with Silver's out of character "Why so serious?"

It's a different region. Who says people can't talk in their own way? That being said, I haven't actually noticed much of a difference.

I can't help but think this is just more "Unova/Isshu is based on America" hate.

What? When did I mention America in all of this, and where the hell did you get that assumption? If I wanted to complain about the US, I'd be on the Real World board, not here.

Maybe it could be a regional difference (here in Australia we tend to shorten and contract our speech), but even disregarding that, it still feels stiff.

No, I did not mention memes because they weren't relevant to the topic at hand; I don't care about them.

To the rest of you, it may seem nitpicky, maybe because "to hell with the text, why does it matter in a Pokémon game", but I did like the vividness in the previous translations, it's one of those little touches that made the games more enjoyable. I certainly don't recall asking for a literal translation; the best translations/translators know how to keep a balance between getting the meaning across and keeping the text, well, "colourful".

Perhaps a better way to express my complaint is that it feels too juvenile; didn't the creators say they wanted to aim this game at a slightly older audience?

And now, a question I propose to anyone who can understand Japanese; did the JP version's dialogue in BW feel "different" in anyway to the previous generations?

(ugh, I have enough trouble as it is trying to get my points across in speech, why is it affecting the written word, too...)

Last edited:
I can't help but think this is just more "Unova/Isshu is based on America" hate.

What? When did I mention America in all of this, and where the hell did you get that assumption? If I wanted to complain about the US, I'd be in the Real World board, not here.

Maybe it could be a regional difference (here in Australia we tend to shorten and contract our speech), but even disregarding that, it still feels stiff.

No, I did not mention memes because they weren't relevant to the topic at hand; I don't care about them.

And now, a question I propose to anyone who can understand Japanese; did the JP version's dialogue in BW feel "different" in anyway to the previous generations?

You didn't but other people from other countries just love to complain about Isshu/Unova being sucky cause' it's based on America.

Topic at hand is the different translations, last generations' were meme-ridden, so it is relevant to the topic at hand.

Very few people are bothered by this apparent change and I personally found they handled dialogue better (managing to give the Striaton brothers very distinct personalities, Clay's accent) and your complaint about lack of use of contractions was unfounded. Yeah, some people use contractions, some people may not, and from what's been shown in this thread, there is a great variability in dialogue rather than the usually stale personalities of past generations.

There were hyperactive youngsters (my favourite being the one who says Lilipup multiple times), and Iris definitely had her own identifiable speech pattern. N seems to talk a bit formal, but you'd think that's how one would raise a king, and I actually found Elesa's speech to Bianca's father moving.

My overall opinions on the script, having beaten the main game yesterday and having talked to everyone, are that it is fine. I never once felt there was anything wrong with it. Never. I was able to play the game and get the full feeling of it and it's surprisingly good story without ever once thinking that the dialogue was wrong.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom