• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

Kalavinka

Something about magnets
Reaction score
I don't know about you, but one of the things I enjoy about the games is the dialogue; sure, stuff gets changed in the transition from Japanese to English, but the resulting dialogue feels vivid and lifelike, like you're actually talking to them.

Or rather, used to be.

I know TPCi wanted to go for a more literal translation in BW, presumably to be more accurate - but now it's at the expense of the dialogue, which feels stilted and wooden. TPCi, people don't generally talk with "I am"'s or "I will"'s!

It's weird, and not in a good way.

Pick up a copy of Platinum (IIRC the last game translated by Treehouse, the previous company) and a copy of BW (first fully translated by TPCi IIRC), and talk to random NPCs; which one feels more natural to you?

I don't know, I really have not noticed any sort of translation weirdness. Then again I usually speak very formally and without much slang.

You know, they can never win with the fandom can they?

People have been asking for literal translations for years and when they get them, they complain.

I always liked Gen IV clever dialouge.

Dear Hyperion09, they can talk like that if they want, and what if People from Unova talk like that?

also, not like this is going to affect your gameplay in any way, if people use I will isntead of i'll...

Dear Hyperion09, they can talk like that if they want, and what if People from Unova talk like that?

Because clearly it's natural for an entire nation to talk as if they just went through Google Translate...

I never really noticed anything different when I went through the game.

Can you provide some full examples?

If you think it was bad in B/W, go and play HG/SS. This problem was much, much worse there.

Because clearly it's natural for an entire nation to talk as if they just went through Google Translate...

because clearly, it's natural that Mice can control Electricity, Yorkshires can take down a house and Turtles have Iron Cannons in their backs, but people in a nation can't be formal, right?

because clearly, it's natural that Mice can control Electricity, Yorkshires can take down a house and Turtles have Iron Cannons in their backs, but people in a nation can't be formal, right?

Suspension of disbelief; I can accept the insane stuff Pokémon can do because they're clearly meant to be fantastical; humans are not, and regular people simply do not talk like that.

who's to say that they are in this time and age?

and besides, why does it matter so much?

who's to say that they are in this time and age?

This game takes place ten years after DPPt, speech patterns just don't change that drastically.

and besides, why does it matter so much?

Why should it not matter? RPGs tend to rely on words more than other genres such as platformers, so they should at least make an effort at having the dialogue feel "right".

Please tell me you're just playing devil's advocate for the hell of it...

...Really?

Just a tad nitpicky. I've spend about 100 hours on both games now, and I really didn't even notice. Even if I did and found it awkward it wouldn't be a huge problem to me - people wanted literal translations, they got 'em. You really can't please everyone.

Please tell me you're just playing devil's advocate for the hell of it...

i never knew there was a stated time difference...

i'd guess 3-5 years at the max

and yeah, Devil's Advocate is my Hidden Ability after all 8-D

But still... i don't think that matters that much...

like this person (^) speaks.

Hm? I suppose I noticed it slightly with the Doctors and Nurses, but only because my Roommate pointed it out. Otherwise, I never noticed any speech problems. And I transcribed a number of the lines and never felt they were off.
I suppose it's just something that differs between people.

I never noticed any difference. Then again I don't pay attention to grammar. I understood everything quite easily. I didn't complain this much about the way people talk when I moved from New Orleans to northern Louisiana for college.

A mountain out of a molehill.

There's a difference in how they talk? The only thing I noticed was Looker got better with his quirky lines.

This game takes place ten years after DPPt, speech patterns just don't change that drastically.
They're also in a region that's supposedly unconnected to all the other regions. Regional dialects alone are enough of an explanation (not as if it was that noticeable in the first place). Just walk around the US.

Also I've looked at the text dump, the only mention of "ten years" is how long Cheren knew Bianca for. Want to give an explanation for that claim?

Perhaps I noticed them talk a bit more formal, but then I'd much rather have that then, let's say, Jersey Shore dialogue.

Also, the old localization team was famous for one thing: Memes. I wish I could say people don't speak in memes, but I know people that do, yet that's somehow more natural than their dialogue? I was wondering why I actually preferred the dialogue in BW more than previous games, and now I know.

Last edited:
^^ so THAT'S why i didn't remember a ten-year gap mention!

it didn't exist.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom