• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dear TPCi, that is NOT how people talk

Most of the dialogue is the same as G/S/C, and back then it was heavily edited in order to fit in the little space they had. The new dialogue obviously didn't have this limitation, making the two clash when used in the same game. It's really a shame they didn't retranslate the game.

Oh, and the old dialogue was translated by a different person, making it clash even more.

Indeed. I can only imagine how awkward the dialogue would be in any R/S remakes (if they ever come to fruition, that is).

I don't think it'd be as jarring as HG/SS (though tbh I don't remember anything in that game that annoyed me) since character limits were surely larger there.

Because clearly it's natural for an entire nation to talk as if they just went through Google Translate...

Well, yeah, actually. If most of the inhabitants have the same general speech pattern then it could be passed off as a cultural thing, like an accent. It weirded me out too at first but in this light it actually makes more sense I think.

Not that I personally found much to complain about myself, but what's so unusual about having issues with the text, in what has always been a text-heavy series? :/

None actually, but complaining about Its not being It's is just random.

I've seen numerous grammar mistakes and instances of just poor translation throughout my English copy. Do I let them bother me? No, and it's silly to let them bother you. But the translation is still poor and huge step down from Treehouse's translations. Fans have the right to complain; complaining about the complainers is just more complaining.

It would be much more effective if this thread contained actual examples rather than people just saying "it just feels off". So far all this thread has presented is a lot of opinions, and there's an old saying about opinions.

It would be much more effective if this thread contained actual examples rather than people just saying "it just feels off". So far all this thread has presented is a lot of opinions, and there's an old saying about opinions.

Well someone has said that in a tv show, they left Turtwig's name unstranslated, which is one example.

Well someone has said that in a tv show, they left Turtwig's name unstranslated, which is one example.
What, you mean the shows on the TV in the games? Do you mean the ones where they teach you Japanese names, because I remember that too. Leaving it untranslated was part of the point.

I can see that this thread is still up and busy as ever.. I wonder why?

Since I've gotten my copy of Pokemon White, there has been some quirky dialogue, I'll admit, but nothing the Grammar Nazi in me will cringe at.

I'd like to see some of this ridiculous dialogue, because from what I've heard (or read) in the game, the script seems more casual and fluid. None of the NPCs' lines have distracted me from the overall gameplay, they still serve their role in telling the story albeit with some weird comments here and there (as you all know.. "Burn, baby, burn!" XD).

I think the positive parts of the game far outweigh the negative aspects.. if any. Least of all grammar isshus.

I live in NYC, and I hear people talk like that. It's stupid slang and bad grammar.

This translation is a bit more joker then most others. I guess it's due to Unova being based off America, so they wanted to "Americanize" the dialogue and failed.

What slang and what bad grammar exactly? I've noticed minor instances of the bad grammar, but no more than the usual awkward dialogue.

But seriously, what slang?

If anything, DP had much more slang than BW.

Say what you will about the older translations, but Americans do not talk like how people do in Black and White.

To be honest, I didn't really notice any speech inconsistencies except with the doctors and nurses. I miss some of the memes that were present in Gen IV, but the conversation with Looker after beating Ghetsis at N's Castle is certainly a bright spot for B/W.

Can somebody please provide an example of this so called bad dialect? Because if you cannot then there is no argument to be had.

This topic is beyond silly anyways. There is nothing wrong with the way they speak, as if everybody in the entire pokemon world is suppose to be speaking the same... *facepalm*

Seriously, use logic and reason. I'm actually pretty glad that the memes are gone and replaced with more realistic sounding text. I'd take PLASMAA! over some grunt calling me a noob anyday.

Say what you will about the older translations, but Americans do not talk like how people do in Black and White.

In what way? If you mean that Americans use contractions whenever possible, where do you get that idea? If the contractions are your point, then I have to feel that this is some generalization based on what a person has seen in Hollywood and his surroundings.

Americans do often use uncontracted forms, and they do use them at least as often as the contractions. People need to learn to look beyond their own dialect and, in some cases, ones that represent a vocal minority.

What slang and what bad grammar exactly? I've noticed minor instances of the bad grammar, but no more than the usual awkward dialogue.

But seriously, what slang?

Is Looker supposed to talk like a moron? Because I never played Platinum, but after meeting him in the end of Black his dialogue was so oddly written I cannot for the life of me tell what he was saying most of the time. It was stuff like

"My codename, is Looker. Looker is what they call me. Because that is my codename, which means I cannot tell you my real name! Remember that my name is Looker, and but it is just a codename!"

It was like something out of a Speed Racer dub.
Can somebody please provide an example of this so called bad dialect? Because if you cannot then there is no argument to be had.

It's not like we have photographic memory that can remember the incidental dialogue of every minor character in the game. Until the game scripts are released, don't try to base your argument on nobody writing down every single piece of dialogue.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom