• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

December 29: In Celebration of the Start of the New Anime Series: A "Pocket Monsters" Rocket Start!

-Lack of info about the international release of M22.
-Lack of info about M23.
-Lack of preview of upcoming episodes.
-Streak of controversial PM episodes.

Do they don't want us to not look forward to anything?
Yes, I know that those things are controlled by different companies but it's still depressing.

They've previewed episodes in specials like this one as well as magazines for previous series. At least in this case the art has some inherent value.

It's just weird to complain both about hype and lack of hype.

They've previewed episodes in specials like this one as well as magazines for previous series. At least in this case the art has some inherent value.

It's just weird to complain both about hype and lack of hype.
They most certainly are hyping without delivering substance. Literally the entire series is hype without substance. For example, going to every region, yet the region has nothing unique about it and the episode could take place anywhere. That is quite literally hype (and they knew it would be something that would excite fans) without any added value. Saying "Battle Frontier, Hoenn Region", yet the episode is a battle tournament that could take place anywhere, that is exactly hype without substance.

You can blindly defend this series until the Miltank come home, but the reality is that the way they are promoting the specific episodes (doesn't mean quantity of promotion) is designed to try to generate a lot of interest, and then they are not delivering any substance. Episode titles are meant to generate interest, and they always have been, but outside of the Kalos League final they have never been constructed to be so misleading, and very deliberately make people think certain things. The entire series premise was meant to entice people to imagine wonderful options, and so far has delivered 7 extremely boring, fillerific episodes.

Here's something I thought was interesting. We could consider this forum a "sample", although it is certainly not a random sample, so this isn't scientific at all, but still something worth looking at. The way this series has been advertised has generated a lot more conversation on this site. Using previews only, comparing to SM series (which as a series was also a huge change at the time) here is the number of comments we had on here for each episode:

SM 001: 100 ----- PM 001: 152
SM 002: 34 ----- PM 002: 112
SM 003: 59 ----- PM 003: 124
SM 004: 37 ----- PM 004: 131
SM 005: 53 ----- PM 005: 77
SM 006: 55 ----- PM 006: 189
SM 007: 62 ----- PM 007: 551
SM 008: 79 ----- PM 008: 263 (and counting)
SM 009: 70 ----- PM 009: 107 (and counting)

And yet were these episodes more interesting? Obviously there is no objective answer. You could argue there is more activity on here in general (I have no idea), but these numbers aren't even remotely close. The episodes titles were designed to make people think certain things, generated a ton of hype, and then were pointless, boring, and full of disappointment. At least in my opinion (and as someone who wholeheartedly despised SM) these episodes were more boring and delivered less than their SM equivalents.

Obviously there is no way to prove or disprove anything subjective, but this series sure is upsetting (and boring) quite a few people. It seems pretty naive to me to think that the titles, the choices of Pokemon, the promise of world traveling, the implication of continuity, etc etc etc wasn't completely intentional and with full knowledge of how it would be responded to. I guess negative attention is better than no attention.

EDIT: Adding a "pre-response" to the argument I forsee "Of course older fans are not the target audience, therefore older fans being upset is irrelevant". Saying something like "Battle Frontier, Hoenn Region" is 100% aimed at older fans. As so many have said on here, children have no way of knowing or understanding what came before this series, so therefore they have no way of knowing what the Battle Frontier or the Hoenn Region are (Obviously that sentence is sarcastic from my point of view, but largely similar statements have been made in regards to past characters/Pokemon from the anime).

Said without sarcasm, the point is that a lot of the titles of episodes and other marketing has been aimed to make older fans think certain ways, so it would appear they at least care enough about the older demographic to get them talking about the series, but not enough to actually throw them a bone with any of the content, hence the hype with no substance. Target audience may not give a shit, but then this type of advertising is literally just using the older fans to generate hype and then slapping them in the face, I guess its not wrong but its also not wrong to be upset about it.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom