• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Defeat the Boss! 2.0 Guide and Sign-Ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem with the Paladin is that it's often generally just tank with a greater emphasis on the light element. Maybe make it Tank/White Mage, able to do the job of each, but not quite as well as either does alone?
It's definitely worth considering, especially since it looks like people do want the role. I'll be sure to work something up for y'all.

It's definitely something I've considered due to how ubiquitous the role is across strategy games and RPGs, my biggest problem is figuring out how to implement it without directly overlapping with other classes too much. But if that's something people want I can try to figure out a way to squeeze it in.
I think the key to balancing a Paladin is that it can do multiple roles, but not as well as classes dedicated to those roles.

Edit Another idea is Warcraft's hunter class. Referred to as Beastmaster in other D&D based games, the hunter fights alongside a beast pet, such as a wolf. The hunter himself can be ranged or melee but not magic

Last edited:
Edit Another idea is Warcraft's hunter class. Referred to as Beastmaster in other D&D based games, the hunter fights alongside a beast pet, such as a wolf. The hunter himself can be ranged or melee but not magic
I have something similar in the works. ;)

Dragon/Pegasus Rider or something?
Not a bad idea, it might be tricky getting the mechanics down so that they're distinct functionally and fun to play. But yeah I'll keep that one in mind.

Wobbuffet class, in other words, something that takes enemy attacks and rebounds them. Risky, but potentially dealing faster damage to the enemy.
Might be a bit annoying to base an entire character around, I doubt it would be a ton of fun for the player to rely on taking hits. But that is kind of the basis of the Fighter's Counter ability (which will improve as the player's progress)

How 'bout a class with a rather large emphesis on inflicting debuffs/status conditions on the enemies, kinda like Etrian Odyssey's Hexer class. Or you could expand on that idea by still having a class mainly focuses on inflicting statuses/debuffs, but giving that class some passive or other that makes them want to inflict debuffs/statuses on enemies - for example, making statused enemies deal slightly less/take slightly more damage, or making debuffed enemies more likely to get statused... Or something.

How 'bout a class with a rather large emphesis on inflicting debuffs/status conditions on the enemies, kinda like Etrian Odyssey's Hexer class. Or you could expand on that idea by still having a class mainly focuses on inflicting statuses/debuffs, but giving that class some passive or other that makes them want to inflict debuffs/statuses on enemies - for example, making statused enemies deal slightly less/take slightly more damage, or making debuffed enemies more likely to get statused... Or something.
If that's what you're looking for, you'll want to stay tuned for the end of this current level ;)

*Stays tuned*

Oh, and since I made that post, I had another idea for a class: one that shifts between just your bog-standard human and some form of animal or other - basically, a shapeshifter or lycanthrope. As for how it could work, well, the first thing worth noting is that you should give each form either different stats or abilities that have different uses, so that there's some actual strategy behind transforming or not transforming (assuming the transformation is activated via a non-passive ability). The second thing I feel like I should mention is that, should you go the shapeshifter route and give a character multiple forms, then each of those forms should be fairly distinct from one-another - for example, the human form could just be a decently-rounded character, while a character that shapeshifts into a wolf could have either increased endurence, damage or both, but has a bit of a hard time hitting opponents and can't dodge worth s***, while a character in the form of a fox can't really take or deal damage, but can evade most attacks and counter with some highly-accurate disruptive or manipulative abilities. Oh, and the third and final point: when the character shapeshifts, they should lose the ability to wield a weapon, which is a way you can give strategic incentive to stay in human form if you give it good enough weapons.

Also, just a random thought: you could make a class whose entire moveset revolves around throwing items, that'd be... interesting. You could even tag it on to that shapeshifting idea as, say, a gorilla form or something.

So with the first "real" level almost over, I'd love to hear some more feedback on how the game is going for y'all. I'm really dedicated to making this as fun for everyone as possible, so hearing your thoughts are super helpful for me.

If it helps, I've put together a few questions for people to use as a guide. They are aimed more toward people who have played the game, but if you're waiting patiently in the queue then feel free to answer any that apply to you. Also don't feel like you need to use the questions as a hard and fast list, if you'd prefer to just stream of consciousness this biz then go for it
  1. Have you had fun playing the game?
  2. What are your favorite elements of the game?
  3. Are there any elements you'd like to see more of?
  4. Are there elements you'd like to see less of?
  5. Do you feel it's a good level of challenging?
  6. Do you feel that any of the classes feel lacking or unbalanced?
  7. Do you have suggestions for ways I can add to or tweak current classes to help fix these problems?
  8. Are there any other elements you'd like to see represented in the game? (characters from specific games, mechanics, new classes, etc)
  9. Are there any other ways I can help make it more fun, engaging, or accessible for you specifically?
Thank you so much for playing everyone! I look forward to a hopefully long and successful future for this game.

• Are there any other elements you'd like to see represented in the game? (characters from specific games, mechanics, new classes, etc)
  • Are there any other ways I can help make it more fun, engaging, or accessible for you specifically?
Can't answer most of these since I have yet to play but I can answer these.

1. More players would be nice... enemies and characters from non-Nintendo games would be great. A level based on the Warcraft series would be amazing. ( @Zexy ). Enemies from Pokemon would be interesting too.
2. Something that I've noticed a lack of in this one that the original DTB had is your wit... Each reply had something witty, funny, sarcastic, etc... which encouraged us to be as creative as we could with attacks. I'd love to see the witty replies return.

1. More players would be nice... enemies and characters from non-Nintendo games would be great. A level based on the Warcraft series would be amazing. ( @Zexy ). Enemies from Pokemon would be interesting too.
2. Something that I've noticed a lack of in this one that the original DTB had is your wit... Each reply had something witty, funny, sarcastic, etc... which encouraged us to be as creative as we could with attacks. I'd love to see the witty replies return.

My original idea was that players would die consistently enough that I wouldn't need more than 4 at a time, but it's proving difficult to balance in a way that the fights feel beatable but there's always a danger of dying. So I might have to give in and just rebalance with an extra person thrown in. XD But we'll see, I'm not giving guarantees for that yet.

Nintendo is the company I'm most familiar with by far, but I will try to use a range of source materials if people would like that. It'll definitely require some research on my part but I'm up for that.

It's kind of bittersweet hearing that, lol. My updates do often end up a lot more dry than I would like, for several reasons really. One, sometimes I'm in a bit of a rush or I'm already running late with the post, so I want to get it out as quickly as I can. Two, my responses are largely dependent on player's input, and while I appreciate the effort they've put into their posts so far, I understand they only have so many options at this point so things can get a bit repetitive for them and for me. Hopefully this aspect will improve with time as more actions become available. Finally, setting it up in a video game like format has made me want to give it an at least somewhat automated feel, which generally doesn't play well with wit. But this is something I can ease up on in exchange for a more personable tone.

So tldr; I am aware of the change and have reasons behind it, but I can certainly do my best to help fix this from here on.

But this is something I can ease up on in exchange for a more personable tone.

Can't speak for anyone else but I would definitely love it to have a more personal and sometimes humorous feel to it.

As for other game franchises, Feel free to ask. I'd definitely be willing to help you design a game level around another game, as I'm sure others here would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom