• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Cancelled Games Defeat The Boss 3.0 - Power Rangers edition [Guide]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
power-rangers-ONE.png
Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to the rebooted Defeat The Boss, It’s Morphin Time edition.

The previous version is located here: Non-Mafia: - Defeat the Boss! 2.0 Guide and Sign-Ups

When you join this game, you will receive a Ranger, complete with stats, weapons, health bar and energy bar. You are familiar with the previous version of the game, so I’ll spare you the gory details and tell you how this version is different.

Your character will start unmorphed. They are normal humans in this form, and are vulnerable. Their strength is low, they can’t take as many hits, but they regenerate energy at an increased rate. The only attacks they have access to in this form are generally martial arts moves.

Each ranger in their inventory has a morpher or similar transformation device. This device when activated, allows a ranger to change into their morphed form.

While morphed, the Ranger’s strength, durability and other stats are increased, and they get access to weapons.

If a ranger takes no action in a turn, or they use a martial arts move, they use no energy, and gain some of their spent energy back.

You can chose to use one of your special attacks (This depends on what team you are playing as), or one of your weapons. Doing so consumes energy and prevents energy regeneration for this turn.

Each post will be given a modifier of 1 to 5. The flashier and more creative the post is, the higher the modifier, and this modifier will be applied to the damage calculated from your stats and your attack choice.

Running out of energy will cause you to demorph, and since the act of morphing itself requires energy, you will be unable to remorph until you regenerate enough energy.

Each fight comes in three different kinds of phases. These phases might be repeated in a single episode… For example, 5 phases in one episode… or a phase might be skipped.

Mook Fight - The first is the mook fight. You and your team will fight against one or more foot soldiers, clearing out one or more waves of these troops. They are the weakest of the bunch. Some of them may have hidden special abilities. Watch out!

Monster fight - Mooks are usually lead by a monster. This guy is stronger than the mooks, and has special attacks that may need to be countered or avoided.

Zord fight - This fight is a little different. In this fight, the monster grows to an enormous size, and your character may choose to call on his zord.

How this fight happens is up to the players… you have two choices, fight as your individual zords. How this happens depends on what team the RNG chooses when the game begins.

Or you can choose to form the Megazord. As you can imagine, this thing is more durable, has stronger attacks, access to better weapons… but it can only take one action per turn. Which means that players will need to decide among themselves what action the megazord takes, and then one player submits its action.

As you’d expect from Defeat The Boss, defeating enemies rewards you with experience points, and gold. When you get enough experience points, you will progress to the next level, increasing your stats.

Gold can be used to purchase upgrades. An upgrade shop will be provided at the end of each phase, and you will also be given the chance to assign your points.

Gaining experience points progresses you towards the next level. Mooks are worth the least, monsters are worth more and generals are worth the most.

Each time you level up, you will receive a certain number of stat points, which you may assign to increase your stats.

Be warned… you have three stat pools, one for your unmorphed form, one for your morphed form, and one for your zord. You can assign a point to each stat in any of these forms.

RANGERS

1. @CheffOfGames
2. @DarthWolf
3. @BadAssGardevoir
4. @Elementar
5. @Midorikawa
6. @Bloodstained

SUBS:

(PS. Credit goes to @returnofMCH for the idea for this and @Enzap for the original game)

For those that are unfamiliar with the previous game, I have put together a brief tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions.

When the game starts, a team will be chosen random via RNG and then character information will be generated. These will be provided publically and will determine how you interact with the game world.

An example is… and this is NOT a generated stats sheet. This is strictly for this instruction manual.

Unmorphed Stats
Strength: 2
Agility: 1
HP: 5
Energy: 500 (Regen: 50)
Attacks/Inventory:
Punch (Dmg - 1, Energy - 0)
Kick (Dmg - 2, Energy - 0)
Flying Kick (Dmg - 5, Energy - 10)
Power Morpher (Energy: 30) - Morphs the player
Gold: 0
Skill points: 0
Experience: 0/50

Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger
Strength: 20
Agility: 15
HP: 50
Attacks:
Flying Kick (Dmg - 5, energy - 20)
Blade Blaster - Blaster Mode (Dmg 15, Energy 30)
Blade Blaster - Dagger Mode (Dmg 15, Energy 30)
Power Sword (Dmg 50, Energy 70)
latest

Tyannosaurus Dinozord
Strength: 200
Agility: 50
HP: 500
Energy: 500 (Regen 50)
Attacks:
Bite (Dmg - 10, Energy 0)
Tail Slam (dmg - 50, Energy 25)
Claw (Dmg 25, Energy 10)
Combine (Dmg 0, Energy 100)

Also generated will be the Megazord stats, which all players within the megazord will share.

Dino Megazord
Strength: 2000
Agility: 20
HP: 2000
Energy: 200 (Regen 100)
Attacks
Punch (Dmg 10, Energy 0)
Kick (Dmg 10, Energy 0)
Power Sword (Dmg 50, Energy 10)
Power Sword Final Strike (Dmg 500, Energy 100)
Mammoth Blaster (Dmg 50, Energy 10)
Mammoth Shield (Dmg 0, Energy 10) - Block incoming attacks

How to read these:

First, strength is an attack modifier. It’ll be added to attacks to determine how much damage they do. For example, Unmorphed with a strength of 2, and a dmg of 2, your kicks will do 4 damage.

Your agility is your chance to avoid an attack. Your speed, basically. In order to have any chance to avoid an attack, your agility must be higher than your enemies agility. After that, the chance of avoiding the attack depends on the difference between your agility and the enemies, plus a roll of the dice.
HP is the amount of hitpoints you have… thus the amount of damage you can take. These do not regenerate, but you can heal yourself or your team through certain actions, such as items you can buy for gold at the end of a phase. HP falling to zero in morphed, zord or megazord modes generally means you will revert to a previous mode (Morphed to demorph, zord to Morphed). Enemy attacks with overkill do risk destroying the Ranger entirely, but these are rare.
Energy: This bar is shared between Unmorphed and Morphed forms. It’s basically your mana pool. In order to use an attack or ability, you must have enough energy. Warning that if your energy falls to zero, you will demorph. If the energy of the Megazord or zords falls to zero, you will be thrown to the ground (Same with the HP)
The regen attribute is the amount of energy you will gain back, as long as you are not using energy that turn.
Finally we come to attacks. The Dmg attribute is the basic damage that the attack or ability does.

The energy attribute is the amount of energy required to use this ability. If you try to use an ability without enough energy, it will fail. If your energy falls to zero, you will demorph.
Gold, skill points and experience points are dropped by the enemies that you face. Each ranger that contributes to defeating the enemy will share in the prize pool.

Enemies will have a similar stat sheet.

In addition to these stats, there is one more stat to take into consideration. Effort modifier. This is a 0 to 5 addition, that adds just a little bit of damage, that could be the key to finishing off a bad guy faster.

For example.

Use Power Sword on Goldar

Would get an effort modifier of 0. This means that the power sword will do only 70 damage.

I stumble back and brush the area on my chest where Goldar’s sword had struck me. “Nice try.” I say as I grip my Power Sword. “But it will take a lot more than that to defeat me.”
With my power sword in hand, I ran forward and leap into the air. I raise my power sword to the air as I flip and bring my power sword down on Goldar.
Would probably get an effort modifier of 5.

Effort modifiers are then multiplied by 5 to get their final damage addition.

In this example, the Power Sword attack would do 95 damage.

When all enemies in a phase are defeated, you will be given the ability to spend your gold (received from enemies) or your skill points (Received from levelling up). Choose wisely.

You may have noticed that some attacks have the same attributes:

Against a normal enemy, these are exactly the same… but some enemies have defenses against certain types of attacks. The Blaster Mode would be useless against an enemy that is absorbing energy attacks, for example. An enemy that has a high chance to parry would have a good chance of blocking a physical attack.

As always, if you have any questions, ask.

EDIT: Xenforo seems to have made a mess of the stats sheet... Not sure why but I'll solve that before the game starts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tutorial
  • Staff
For those that are unfamiliar with the previous game, I have put together a brief tutorial. Please let me know if you have any questions.

When the game starts, a team will be chosen random via RNG and then character information will be generated. These will be provided publically and will determine how you interact with the game world.

An example is… and this is NOT a generated stats sheet. This is strictly for this instruction manual.

Unmorphed Stats
Strength: 2
Agility: 1
HP: 5
Energy: 500 (Regen: 50)
Attacks/Inventory:
Flying Kick (Dmg - 5, Energy - 10)
Power Morpher (Energy: 30) - Morphs the player
Gold: 0
Skill points: 0
Experience: 0/50

Red Mighty Morphin Power Ranger
Strength: 20
Agility: 15
HP: 50
Attacks:
Flying Kick (Dmg - 5, energy - 20)
Power Sword (Dmg 50, Energy 70)
latest

Tyannosaurus Dinozord
Strength: 200
Agility: 50
HP: 500
Energy: 500 (Regen 50)
Attacks:
Bite (Dmg - 10, Energy 0)
Tail Slam (dmg - 50, Energy 25)
Claw (Dmg 25, Energy 10)
Combine (Dmg 0, Energy 100)

Also generated will be the Megazord stats, which all players within the megazord will share.

Dino Megazord
Strength: 2000
Agility: 20
HP: 2000
Energy: 200 (Regen 100)
Attacks
Punch (Dmg 10, Energy 0)
Kick (Dmg 10, Energy 0)
Power Sword (Dmg 50, Energy 10)
Power Sword Final Strike (Dmg 500, Energy 100)
Mammoth Blaster (Dmg 50, Energy 10)
Mammoth Shield (Dmg 0, Energy 10) - Block incoming attacks

How to read these:

First, strength is an attack modifier. It’ll be added to attacks to determine how much damage they do. For example, Unmorphed with a strength of 2, and a dmg of 2, your kicks will do 4 damage.

Your agility is your chance to avoid an attack. Your speed, basically. In order to have any chance to avoid an attack, your agility must be higher than your enemies agility. After that, the chance of avoiding the attack depends on the difference between your agility and the enemies, plus a roll of the dice.
HP is the amount of hitpoints you have… thus the amount of damage you can take. These do not regenerate, but you can heal yourself or your team through certain actions, such as items you can buy for gold at the end of a phase. HP falling to zero in morphed, zord or megazord modes generally means you will revert to a previous mode (Morphed to demorph, zord to Morphed). Enemy attacks with overkill do risk destroying the Ranger entirely, but these are rare.
Energy: This bar is shared between Unmorphed and Morphed forms. It’s basically your mana pool. In order to use an attack or ability, you must have enough energy. Warning that if your energy falls to zero, you will demorph. If the energy of the Megazord or zords falls to zero, you will be thrown to the ground (Same with the HP)
The regen attribute is the amount of energy you will gain back, as long as you are not using energy that turn.
Finally we come to attacks. The Dmg attribute is the basic damage that the attack or ability does.

The energy attribute is the amount of energy required to use this ability. If you try to use an ability without enough energy, it will fail. If your energy falls to zero, you will demorph.
Gold, skill points and experience points are dropped by the enemies that you face. Each ranger that contributes to defeating the enemy will share in the prize pool.

Enemies will have a similar stat sheet.

In addition to these stats, there is one more stat to take into consideration. Effort modifier. This is a 0 to 5 addition, that adds just a little bit of damage, that could be the key to finishing off a bad guy faster.

For example.

Use Power Sword on Goldar

Would get an effort modifier of 0. This means that the power sword will do only 70 damage.

I stumble back and brush the area on my chest where Goldar’s sword had struck me. “Nice try.” I say as I grip my Power Sword. “But it will take a lot more than that to defeat me.”
With my power sword in hand, I ran forward and leap into the air. I raise my power sword to the air as I flip and bring my power sword down on Goldar.
Would probably get an effort modifier of 5.

Effort modifiers are then multiplied by 5 to get their final damage addition.

In this example, the Power Sword attack would do 95 damage.

When all enemies in a phase are defeated, you will be given the ability to spend your gold (received from enemies) or your skill points (Received from levelling up). Choose wisely.

You may have noticed that some attacks have the same attributes:

Against a normal enemy, these are exactly the same… but some enemies have defenses against certain types of attacks. The Blaster Mode would be useless against an enemy that is absorbing energy attacks, for example. An enemy that has a high chance to parry would have a good chance of blocking a physical attack.

As always, if you have any questions, ask.

EDIT: Xenforo seems to have made a mess of the stats sheet... Not sure why but I'll solve that before the game starts.

Oh hey, this thing's finally back. I mean my experience of Power Rangers is limited to watching a couple let's plays of some lisenced games this one time, but still, I happen to rather like this game and words can't describe how happy I am that the effort modifier is a thing so yeah let's do this.

...Also, what exactly do you mean by this rule:
You can chose to use one of your special attacks (This depends on what team you are playing as), or one of your weapons. Doing so consumes energy and prevents energy regeneration for this turn.
...Not about the rule itself, I'm more after clarity as to what you mean by 'teams' - does this mean that some players will be controling enemy units, or is it just refering to different types of player characters? Because I don't see anything about it elsewhere in the rules, so it would be good to know.

Anyway... Let's do this?

• Staff
...Not about the rule itself, I'm more after clarity as to what you mean by 'teams' - does this mean that some players will be controling enemy units, or is it just refering to different types of player characters? Because I don't see anything about it elsewhere in the rules, so it would be good to know.
Power Rangers (series)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom