• Snowy finds a Gym Leader lurking in a mine. Watch here as he faces off against Marnie and prepares to battle against Kabu.

Non-Mafia: Defeat the Boss - Pokemon: Kanto

Temp threadmark: Upcoming changes New
Minty fresh.
Reaction score
@Lone_Garurumon @Pika_pika42 @Acrobatic Crobat @CheffOfGames

I still have to formally type this up, but here's what is going to be happening.

First is experience. As you may have noticed, you guys are gaining experience WAY too fast. I mean, you're at the 3rd gym and you're pushing level 50 (Rio is level 46). I don't plan to take any experience or levels away from you, but I do plan to significantly reduce your experience intake. At the moment, I'm thinking of dividing the experience gains on the info site by 4.

Stats. New stats are coming into play. Each pokemon is going to be receiving a speed stat. Except for priority changing moves, pokemon will now move based on speed. This speed stat will come from that pokemon's base speed stat on bulbapedia.
Moves are going to be getting an accuracy stat. A pokemon's accuracy stat will be used as a modifier (And will usually be temporary). This means both your moves and the opponents moves have a chance to miss unless they have an accuracy of 100.

Champion class. It's been in the opening post for a while, but it's not really defined. A champion class pokemon is a pokemon with a lot of special modifiers, some might even class as unfair. A champion pokemon has a chance (Depending on speed stat) to move more than once per turn, and may have other modifiers that fall outside the realm of normal battle rules. They also have the same damage enhancing and reduction traits as elites.
Don't worry, you will rarely see them. Right now, the only guaranteed place to find champions is as the boss in Eevee's house of madness.

Your teams have each been expanded to 6 pokemon. Choose carefully though, as enemy maximum team sizes are determined based on your team size. Minimum max enemy team size is 12, so you won't benefit from having just one pokemon each... but they can go as high as 24 pokemon
Note that this is the MAXIMUM number of pokemon an enemy team may have... and most enemy teams won't even come close to having their maximum number of pokemon.
You also need to take HMs into account. They are required to traverse Kanto, and you cannot cross a water route without a pokemon that knows surf (example). (HMs also cannot be forgotten except at a move deleter, and cannot be traded (See below))

Pokemon on routes. Previously, I was pretty open with what pokemon appear on routes. Due to the game change I will list as the bottom of this post, the pokemon on your routes have changed and are a lot stricter.

Experience boosting: Pokemon below a certain level will receive boosted experience. Right now I'm thinking pokemon more than 10 levels below your average level pokemon will receive 4x experience (current rates)

Cross game stuff.
LG has known about this for a while, but I intend to start a second DtB very shortly. This game will take place in Galar, and will revolve around dynamaxing pokemon. (While yours takes place in Kanto and revolves around Mega Pokemon)
But these games are not isolated. You will be able to trade pokemon cross games, and even battle with the other games' players. (All Pokemon will be set to level 50 for cross-game battles, and there may be rewards involved)
I haven't quite nailed down what Pokemon you will find in each of the games, but it may be necessary to trade between games for certain pokemon.

I have a feeling I have forgotten something, but I am open to feedback regarding all these changes. Let me know what you think.

I also promise to try to add more flavour text to battles and intermission posts.

Thank you.

EDIT: Also, would you guys like a discord server where you can discuss cross game trades, and also have private channels where you can discuss cross game battle strategy, submit moves, etc?
EDIT2: Pokemon that do not participate in a battle will get a reduced experience. I haven't nailed down how reduced yet, as I need to see what the standard XP looks like when reduced.

Last edited:
SCIENCE!
Reaction score
This is all sounding pretty cool, and it's great to be seeing this expanding and becoming a larger thing. Just uh, don't bite off more than you can chew, yeah? Anyway, this definitely sounds cool. Except for this.
You also need to take HMs into account. They are required to traverse Kanto, and you cannot cross a water route without a pokemon that knows surf (example).
This is disgusting and you should be ashamed.

Anyway, a proposal to my travelling companions: How would the three of you feel about loading our teams up to the maximum? I understand that this is potentially dangerous, but personally I think we can work with it. Plus he said that most fights won't even come close to the big scary number anyway, so I figure it's only big boss fights that'll get close to that number.

SCIENCE!
Reaction score
Pokemon on routes. Previously, I was pretty open with what pokemon appear on routes. Due to the game change I will list as the bottom of this post, the pokemon on your routes have changed and are a lot stricter.
Wait, does this mean we can't bump into random legendary Pokemon anymore?

Minty fresh.
Reaction score
Wait, does this mean we can't bump into random legendary Pokemon anymore?
No, that chance will still exist. But the legendary pokemon you can find is no longer wide open.

I haven't nailed it down yet, but just to use an example... This game might only have legendaries from Johto and Kanto, while the other game might have legendaries from Alola and Galar.

This is only an example though.

Just some random guy on a random site
Reaction score
So, I won't go in depth with reactions since I need to go to work right about now, but some quick reactions.
The rule changes seem fine imo, makes it more interesting which I'm all for.
Cross game stuff seems amazing, I'd love to have more people to trade with.
I'd indeed like a discord server where we can discuss stuff, and discuss moves and maybe even see our boxed mons.
Also, please make us encounter a fisherman with 24 Magikarp, that'll be hilarious.

But as LG said, don't bite off more than you can chew. Take the time to do other stuff than this as well.

Gone batty.
Reaction score
If you guys come across a Breeder with 24 baby pokemon, it's not my fault! You were warned :p
You're a monster.

So yes, I'd say Discord server would be useful.
Rule changes seem really interesting. Also, a second, simultaneous and parallel game? Cool!
But well... AE, are you absolutely sure you can manage all this? As LG and Cheff said - if you feel like it may be too much, don't force yourself.

Sith Puppy
Reaction score
Stats. New stats are coming into play. Each pokemon is going to be receiving a speed stat. Except for priority changing moves, pokemon will now move based on speed. This speed stat will come from that pokemon's base speed stat on bulbapedia.
So just to remind you, how do you consider doing speed ties? Random each turn like the games or differently?
So... how does this work now?

Minty fresh.
Reaction score
So just to remind you, how do you consider doing speed ties? Random each turn like the games or differently?
Probably the same as the game and random it each turn.

So... how does this work now?
Same as the legendary example above. It's not set in stone yet though.
No, that chance will still exist. But the legendary pokemon you can find is no longer wide open.

I haven't nailed it down yet, but just to use an example... This game might only have legendaries from Johto and Kanto, while the other game might have legendaries from Alola and Galar.

This is only an example though.
You're a monster.
Oh, I totally am. But you knew that. :p

That said, I'm not the one that suggested this...
Also, please make us encounter a fisherman with 24 Magikarp, that'll be hilarious.
:p

Ash's Pikachu
Reaction score
The rules change and cross-over game sounds really interesting. But I would like the variety of Pokémon to stay as it could get boring with only Kanto and Johto Pokémon.
A discord server sounds really nice and would be good help to discuss things.

Also, as others mentioned, take care and don't over stress yourself with too many things at one point. I'm sure whatever you will do would be fun and interesting, just do it at your own pace. :giggle:

Minty fresh.
Reaction score
Thanks guys.

I'll get the Discord server set up next week, and I'll get the changes done, both the rules post and the character stats file. Expect the game to - hopefully - start back up the first week of March.

Not sure when the second game will start, as I want to make sure I can handle it without overloading myself. I do know that I am planning to do 1-2 updates a week. More updates will happen if I have time and energy, of course. Right now the aim is to get both games updated at the same time. This game takes me about half an hour per update, so I should be able to get both done in an hour.