• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dell Latitude C840 Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jirachi's Wish

Hunting for Rare Candies
Reaction score
Ok so I had my laptop in my backpack today, when I took it out and opened it I noticed that the right hinge had some sticky stuff. Thinking my juice box had leaked I checked but it was perfectly fine, plus the laptop was blocked off from my lunch by binders and there was no wet or sticky spots in my bag. So I turned it on, loaded fine, but the mouse pointer was glitchy-ish and when I clicked or pressed a key the screen would go black for a few seconds then go back to normal. So I turned it off, then coming to a black screen, so I kept turning it on then off to see if it would go away. Finally wwhen I turned it on once again, it went normal but to a olive green screen which the started blacking out, like the black was staining the green. I turned if off for fear it was going to blow.

Some interesting points to note are that the sticky stuff was only near the hinge, the cooling fans didn't turn on when it loaded a black screen, and everything else seems normal. Thanks in advance!

I think it might have fried the Nvidia GPU from those symptoms. Also, where was the sticky stuff at? If it was near the fans, it might have water damaged it, as they put the importiant parts near the fans so it stays cool.

It was near the hinge, but it seems a little of the 'stuff' went into the hinge but it doesn't appear to have reached the fan.

It might have damaged either the display or the video board then. Try hooking it up to a external PC monitor to be sure it is not the display. If it's the video board, then repair would be costly.

However, you can try taking apart the computer and fixing it yourself, but if you have no expierence with reparing computers or replacing parts, then it is not a good idea.

Last edited:
your wires going to your screen could have gone bad or are shorting out try going to an external screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom