• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Contest Delphox vs Emboar

Startmirca

CANT LET YOU DO THAT !!!
Reaction score
250px-655Delphox.png
vs
250px-500Emboar.png

Delphox and Emboar are both fully evolved Fire starters, Delphox is a Special Attacker and has the highest Special Attack of all starter Pokémon, the other side has Emboar, who is a Physical Attacker and has the highest Attack stat of all starters.

Whose design do you prefer?

Who has the better pre-evolutions?

Who would win?

Who do you prefer?

Other Kalos vs Unova Starter matchups:

Chesnaught vs Serperior

Greninja vs Samurott

Last edited:
Emboar is just plain ugly I'm sorry to say, Delphox is beautiful.
I wouldn't be surprised if Emboar gets a vote just because someone felt sorry for it. :/

Delphox. I prefer feminine designs and it's so refreshing for a fire starter to not be overly masculine. This is going to be the first time the fire starter is my absolute favorite and I'm definitely using her in X/Y.

I don't care much about power other than a pokemon being at least a decent fighter. It's the design that earns them a spot on my team; I refuse to use pokemon that I'm not at least neutral to.

Emboar is just plain ugly I'm sorry to say, Delphox is beautiful.
I wouldn't be surprised if Emboar gets a vote just because someone felt sorry for it. :/
Wrong. It's called an opinion. I hate Delphox's design. Not a big fan of Emboar either but I'd take it (and any other Fire starter for that matter) anyday over Delphox :/

Emboar will get a vote and not because of that I feel sorry for it. Look here:
Delphox is a fox in a dress with a wand. Emboar is a sumo-pig. He has huge badass tusks and fire around his neck. Delphox does not stand a chance. The only thing in its design that is not boring is the wand. 1-0 to Emboar.
Pre evos? A bland fox and a snobby fox vs a cute pig and a fat but cute pig? Pigs rock, 2-0 to Emboar. And with Braixen as a pre-evo everyone would defeat Delphox here. 2-1 to Emboar.
Who would win? Delphox. It has a high Sp. Atk and type advantage. Emboar does not stand a chance. The pig is actually pretty useless in battles. His defenses sucks and his Speed too.
Who I prefer. Emboar of course! He is The Man. Delphox can not match an awesome Pig in looks or pre evos.

Emboar, and the tepig line is actually my least favorite starter line. Delphox looks great in fanart (as usual), but I cannot get past its ugly 3d model. Probably the most I've ever been disappointed by a final evolution.

I'm not a fan of either pokemon.

Why isn't there a "both" option on the poll? I like both of them equally. Well i'm going to go with Emboar since at least it can counter some of the types it's weak to unlike Delphox.

Both are disappointing to me for different reasons. Emboar was disappointing because it was the third Fire/Fighting starter in a row, which had become dull at that point. Its design is ok, I neither hate nor love it (I am starting to like it more recently, though). Delphox is disappointing not because of its type, but its design. I don't HATE the design, but I really can't feel any sort of positivity towards it. I'm glad it's not another Fire/Fighting, and Fire/Psychic is neat, but, uh, I don't like it for anything else.

I'd much rather be disappointed in a Pokemon's type than in a Pokemon's design. Typing I can get over, but it's hard to like a design when... you don't really like the design. So I have to go with Emboar here. Emboar was pretty good when I used one too.

I'm not a big fan of either, but Delphox just fits better into the category of "good looking" Pokemon that I've set up in my mind. Mostly because it has some humanoid features.

*Read most of comments on thread* I think most people here are voting for Delphox because she's newer, i see nothing wrong with Emboar.

Well i'm going to go with Emboar since at least it can counter some of the types it's weak to unlike Delphox.

This, this, so much freakin this, Delphox is flat up a sitting duck to dark types.

GF should've at least put Focus Blast , Aura Sphere, or Signal Beam in it's moveset.

Last edited:
Yeah, TM-wise the only counter to Darks that Delphox gets is Power-up Punch. I can't necessarily see Delphox launching a Focus Blast or Aura Sphere, but there are certainly other options: Signal Beam, Fairy Wind, Dazzling Gleam....

(And do we know what kinds of moves you can breed onto a Fennekin?)

Last edited:
Yeah, TM-wise the only counter to Darks that Delphox gets is Power-up Punch. I can't necessarily see Delphox launching a Focus Blast or Aura Sphere, but there are certainly other options: Signal Beam, Fairy Wind, Dazzling Gleam....

(And do we know what kinds of moves you can breed onto a Fennekin?)

Since egg moves for Fennekin still haven't been found, nope, unfortunately.

Delphox has good stats for it to be a Special Attacker but doesn't have a solid moveset. It didn't even get Focus Blast, which would've helped it against Dark-types. What's hilarious about your comment is that it was originally thought that Aura Sphere was one of Fennekin's egg moves, Squirtle got it instead though.

Great, because it doesn't have a good special moveset to compliment it's special attack , it suffers from the "Sceptile sindrome" -_-

I can't necessarily see Delphox launching a Focus Blast or Aura Sphere
Why? Over 17 Psychic type Pokemon and 15 Fire type Pokemon can learn Focus Blast, not to mention every fully evolve Fire type starter minus Delphox can learn it. Why should Delphox be different?

And do we know what kinds of moves you can breed onto a Fennekin?
Aside from Wish, not much.

Probably... Emboar. I used to hate it for being another Fire-Fighting Starter but once I got over that, I started to like it. I think it's cool. Delphox has the better stats, movepool, type and it would definitely win a fight against Emboar, but Emboar's design I think is better. I can't look at Delphox without feeling disappointed.

Great, because it doesn't have a good special moveset to compliment it's special attack , it suffers from the "Sceptile sindrome" -_-
But Sceptile can learn Ground (Dig/Earthquake), Rock (Rock Tomb/Slide), Bug (X-Scissor), Flying (Acrobatics/Aerial Ace), Dark (Crunch), Fighting (Focus Blast, etc.), and Dragon (Dragon Claw/Breath). Granted, a lot of those are physical moves on a special attacker, but still.

Fire/Fighting got boring, Delphox.

And Emboar has more attack than Infernape and Blaziken? damn.

Delphox. I don't care much for its 3d model, but I love its official artwork. The typing is great and a nice change from the last 3 fire starters.

I really dislike Emboar. It's probably the only starter evolution that I dislike. Its pretty ugly and the type was that same as the previous 2 fire starters, so it was pretty disappointing.

Emboar. I reaaallly don't like Delpox's design. It's ugly and dull. Emboar isn't great but I think it looks better than Delphox by a longshot.

I actually kinda like Emboar (as much as I'll ever like the 5th Gen Starters anyway). Sure, Fire/Fighting for a third time was incredibly annoying, and those paper thin defenses/horrible speed aren't doing it any favors, but in the end, it actually turned out to be a pretty decent Pokemon. I like its high HP/high recoil combination (leading to a high risk/high reward playstyle that's not often seen with Starters.) It was refreshing and new and so much cooler than Infernape. And yes, I still hate the monkey.

However...Delphox just blows Emboar out of the water in almost every way (in my opinion.) Its design is more evocative of a wizard (which is a concept I love) than Emboar's is of a sumo...or is it supposed to be a demon? I don't even know. The point is that Delphox's inspiration comes through loud and clear while Emboar's is just muffled under all those details. In terms of stats, Delphox has a better stat spread than Emboar. In all honesty, Emboar can't really do much with its stats. It's too slow to be a sweeper and to frail to be a tank. Sure, you can slap a Choice Scarf on it, but there are other mons that can do that better. Delphox's stats aren't something that's never been seen before or anything, but they're pretty solid.

The only thing Emboar has over Delphox is movepool. Emboar's movepool is much wider than Delphox's (Scald, for instance.) However, I feel like the fox's movepool will be greatly improved come the next game.

Oh, and their Hidden Abilities are both pretty terrible. Magician is almost completely useless competitively (it's good for getting Heart Scales in-game tho) and Reckless makes it so that Emboar practically kills itself with the recoil. No me gusta. No thank you.

Also, I tend to like majestic and feminine designs over 'badass' manly ones. So there's that.

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom