• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Demo discussion (not for spoilers/datamine info)

Played the demo and I love how free you are in what you want to do. Really, entering a few buildings is already a huge improvement compared to the ORAS demo. I also love Hau'oli's song, it reminds me of Mario Sunshine for some reason.

Riding Tauros is great, normal pace is still feeling a little grid-based, dashing is smoother. So far it looks like a replacement for the bike to me.

The only thing I was really annoyed by was the constant Pokemon cries. They really need to tone that down a notch.

Ending on a positive note, the stardust dude made me laugh really really hard:

"Allow me to introduce myself.
I am a mysterious old man."

I really enjoyed the demo and I loved the new graphics even more when playing it. It's better on the 3DS than any video could show. I really enjoyed the music. I love how colourful the UI is.

I'm gushing but I didn't really find any fault in this, only that I just wanted to play more then the demo allowed. Roll on November!

Unfortunately my concerns over frame rate issues were confirmed. It wasn't very noticeable during regular battles but the Totem battle was a mess. Seriously it was hard to look at. Shame they didn't do a better job optimizing the games for the original 3DS. But I guess now we know why triple battles were removed, double battles were probably already too much for the old systems to handle.

I'm concerned about this, but am largely tech-illiterate. Would an N3DS be able to handle it better than the original?

I played it on the N3DS XL and didn't notice any stuttering. Then again, I don't really have an eye for those anyway :p

Also, someone on a Japanese 3DS got the item from the guy next to the Pokémon Center who says to come back 1 day later and:
It's 10 pretty wings :/

Alola everyone! I just finished the first part of the demo! Alola!

-The graphics were quite awesome to me. Alola!
-The Z-move at the end was so cheeky with the wording in the middle of the animation. Alola!
-The new stats pages for Pokemon takes a bit of getting used to, but I like how there's a more extended description of abilities. Alola!
-The Team Skull theme is rather... odd, but it does fit them in some way. Alola!

Well, now to the next part...

(And every time the characters said "Alola," I laughed hysterically. Alola!)

I'm concerned about this, but am largely tech-illiterate. Would an N3DS be able to handle it better than the original?

Theoretically yes. Thanks to its better processor and increased RAM it should be able to handle intensive graphics more easily. But then again it depends on how the games are optimized, which is why the N3DS didn't really solve XYORAS's issues.

Out of curiosity, did anyone else here play the demo on the OG 3DS? Serebii did, and I noticed some stuttering when the camera started panning out during the Totem battle, but he chose his moves pretty quickly.

I played it on the original 3DS and there was definite frame rate issues during the photographing and the Totem battle.

That's the most glaring fault I've found, though.

Yeah there are definitely some serious frame rate issues on the OG 3DS. The totem battle intro looked like it used some sort of motion blur which caused slowdown.

This saying "Alola" to one another is definitely killing my ability to take the demo seriously. I really hope it's demo only

so an NPC-- the one by the Boutique-- mentions someone named Kahili and that she's a "golfing genius." golfing is our spinoff activity maybe? seems to match up with that hoity-toity club on Akala.

so an NPC-- the one by the Boutique-- mentions someone named Kahili and that she's a "golfing genius." golfing is our spinoff activity maybe? seems to match up with that hoity-toity club on Akala.
Damn, I was just about finished with my post about Kahili! ;)

I'm thinking maybe the Champion? The Ace Trainer mentions Kahili's a strong trainer and that she's off 'conquering the world'.

Just played the demo for a little while, and I must say my favourite part is how you can hear random Pokemon cry in the overworld. It's a really nice touch IMO. Simple, yet great.

Oh man! I love how we have grass in the city now which leads me to believe Alolan Rattata can be found here at night. I was trying to pinpoint where Ten Carat Pass is on the map, but I can't find it.

I've never been so captivated by a demo before. I played this for a long time before I stopped. I can now see why the reviewers took so long to get anywhere.

I wonder if that differently colored Granbull means anything. DRAGONS? You bet I want to face your dragons. Pictures? Okay, I can do that, too. So that's what the happy Jangmo-o was about. If I had sense, I would've realized that Battle Bond would activate if the Totem used SOS and I killed the add, but sadly, I did not. To my surprise, though, it wasn't over after that. I started it again and now I can go do other stuff. I don't think I can do well enough to get a better prize from this capture challenge if there is one. I did smack the trainers around real good, though.

This game is going to be so huge! I wouldn't know what to do!

Played the demo and I love how free you are in what you want to do. Really, entering a few buildings is already a huge improvement compared to the ORAS demo. I also love Hau'oli's song, it reminds me of Mario Sunshine for some reason.

Riding Tauros is great, normal pace is still feeling a little grid-based, dashing is smoother. So far it looks like a replacement for the bike to me.

The only thing I was really annoyed by was the constant Pokemon cries. They really need to tone that down a notch.

Ending on a positive note, the stardust dude made me laugh really really hard:

"Allow me to introduce myself.
I am a mysterious old man."
Hearing Pokemon cries all the time is driving me mad, as it makes me wsnt to just dive into the wild grass, far too used to hesring cries means that thr next patch of grass will end up in an encounter.

Anyway, this was a fun, and short demo. Looks like some events open up day after day, which should be cool to go back to and help the thirst to play the first game. At the very least, the spundtrack is on piny, really amazing stuff so far. All those Ukele remixes for item found and the Pokemon Center are the best, and Kukui's laid back electric guitars are excellent. Finally, Ten Carat Pass might be a demo area, or something similar. Ten Carat Hill is definitrly the place next to Kukui's lab, but I doubt that the beach we get to it on is the same beach they lock us out of with those slowpoke, that would be pretty stupid.

Got my shot at the demo and while I have to keep in mind it's main job is to show off the new features in the game it does reveal quite a bit.

Interesting things of note:
- Getting the impression Poke Rides are gonna do away with HM given how Tauros was used.
- In the midst of Poke Riding and found in battle you're character still wears their gear. A nice aesthetic touch.
- I noticed during my battle with Ace Trainer (who while nowhere near as elegant as Gen VI Ace Trainer or cool as the HGSS, ORAS or Gen V Ace Trainers but is quite cute) when its her turn to attack she actually makes a gesture of command. Throw that in with overworld trainers actually having defeat models was again, a nice aesthetic touch.
- The protag is at most 11 going by the NPC mentioning the Trials. This is neither here nor there but still interesting to note.
- The protag moved from Kanto...
- The demo definitely has a better handle on things than the ORAS demo. Strange as it is to say, I actually like the timed events this time around. Probably due to how properly (wait for it) timed the placements are. I hope Kukui lets us transfer everything in one go as opposed to that one transfer a day nonsense...

The Good:
- The music is top of the list here and it's stellar.
- The game knows how to keep it humorous even with its NPCs.
- Team Skull is gonna be great.
- The Locale is HUGE! Bit barren. Given this is a demo I bet that'll change come main game.

The Bad:
- Looks like the mechanical march walk is gonna be a thing after all. I'm hoping the main game has the option to auto run.
- This bugged me, Hau and Kukui both give varying facial expressions when its needed but the protag? Goofy smile plastered esp. when they really shouldn't.
- The protag is from Kanto... And the Gen 1 shilling marches on...

Back
Top Bottom