• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Demo discussion (not for spoilers/datamine info)

Any idea how to play the demo again? Like, I wanna start again from the beginning. There is nothing much to do...

The demo is really nice. The detail of the city and surrounding natural areas is just amazing. The constant PokéCries are a wee bit annoying, though.

So, after Hau & I battled Team Skull, and he ran off to the Pokémon Center, I promptly abandoned him to go poking around into everything I could get into, lol. You can't get into the gated grassy areas right away, because the game keeps telling you to go to the PokéCenter. I was very surprised to see that they took away our ability to sit down. How disappointing. My poor P.C. is going to have to remain standing all night long against the PokéCenter wall again.

The trial was very interesting. It's certainly different. Although I don't mind the taking pictures feature, I feel the PokéFinder is a poor replacement for the DexNav. Unless the PokéFinder will receive upgrades throughout the game that will show me things like whether the Pokémon has its H.A. or an E.M., I'm probably only going to use it to find the missing/hidden Pokes I need to fill out the Dex and then I'll never touch it again. And that Hakomo-o charging at me was pretty intense indeed. My P.C. didn't flinch at all, but I certainly did!

Fighting Plumeria was quite amusing. I used Kukui's Pikachu and GigavoltHavoc'd her silly Golbat. After the battle was over, I was both surprised & delighted to see that Pikachu was sitting on my head! I know that there was an announcement awhile back for PokémonGo where they said if you chose Pikachu as your walking buddy, eventually it would hop up on your shoulder. I would love for them to let us do this in SuMo. Like, after I max out my Pika's affection in Pokémon Refresh, I could keep it out of its Pokéball and tote it around Alola on my head. That would make me very happy. :)

I have a 2DS system, and even on the 2DS I noticed some lag time with the frame rate. I hope this is only a quirk of the demo and won't have this problem in the actual game itself.

There's really only one thing that actually kind of upset me and that was when "mom" came out of the boutique and asked me to help take all the clothes she bought home. Just out of sheer curiosity, I clicked on "What!?" instead of "Sure, I'll help" and she left me and went back to Town Hall. It didn't matter what I did, I could not get her to ask me again if I wanted to go home. So now I don't know if anything happened after you got back to the house. I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I missed that part. :(

All in all, I really like the demo. It's not really as long as I wish it would have been, but it's definitely longer than the ORAS demo was. I quite enjoyed it!

Question: if you send Ash-Greninja to the full games, does this mean you have to download the demo again?

Does anyone know how to trigger the events with Lillie, Hau, and the NPC with the Alolan Dugtrio? I'm still trying to trigger at least one of those, and the OP is rather vague on the subject. Any ideas or suggestions on triggering those events?

Having been avoiding most of the Sun and Moon coverage so far, I am actually content with how few Alolan Pokemon were showcased in the demo. Not even the starter trio made an appearance? Just a few clearly early-route regional species, and what promises to be a three-stage dragon line.

It was kind of entertaining how professor Kukui didn't tell you any of the fine print about what exactly would also be happening during that Trial... I need to at least play it again and use Greninja against the Totem Pokemon so its Battle Bond ability can kick in.

In the meantime, I like some of the little changes to the battle menu, such as the ability to fetch a description of your move, and now the ability to review what buffs each Pokemon has on them!

As for move effectiveness against your opponent being shown mid-battle, I see this is tied to having actually defeated that Pokemon. Not quite how Persona handles it (which would have been better), but I also notice that if the opponent has an active buff, when you click on their stats it also shows their type alongside it (from which you can figure out move effectiveness yourself).

Overall I'd say the demo is good for what it is: a preview. (I also recently played the Yo-kai Watch 2 demo, and while I won't say one is better than the other I did notice that if all you do in the YKW2 demo is follow your objective markers, the demo is over in like just five minutes. BUT if you start walking around the town instead....)

I like Team Skull's battle theme. Their general theme is nice, but for some reason really reminds me of TWEWY....

Last edited:
So, have they brought back day/night-oriented music? The music in Hau'oli City is different at nighttime.

Diamond/Pearl remakes so confirmed

Edit: Hey, I got the Lillie scene! Neat.

Last edited:
There's really only one thing that actually kind of upset me and that was when "mom" came out of the boutique and asked me to help take all the clothes she bought home. Just out of sheer curiosity, I clicked on "What!?" instead of "Sure, I'll help" and she left me and went back to Town Hall. It didn't matter what I did, I could not get her to ask me again if I wanted to go home. So now I don't know if anything happened after you got back to the house. I guess I'll just have to live with the fact that I missed that part. :(

I did click "Sure, I'll help" and she also leaves you and goes back to Town Hall, nothing happens.

I enjoyed the demo, and unlike most I expected almost exactly what we got, a taste.

I think I'm one of the few that likes the fact that the HP bar moves at a pace relevant to what move used/how effective it is ect, it's very suspenseful and hardly time consuming (you're impatient if that's an issue for you lol). It makes a battle more exciting imo, this will be great for wifi battles!

The demo was very hand holdy, but it was to be expected given how broad of an audience Pokémon appeals to already, it must of been tough to cater to everyone. I expect the actual games to have a certain level of difficulty above XY/ORAS but not so much.

I really enjoyed using the Z-move, I hope the trainer animation along with it doesn't happen every time though (just for first time uses in a certain areas), because I'm not sitting through that animation every time... not to mention some of the special Z-moves are even longer lol (different from waiting for a slower HP bar to drop, it's an entire animation sequence).

I still enjoy picking it up for 15 minutes a day and running around/on Tauros, I love the bigger scale the game is on in general. This has made me want the game even more so.

Also got the Lillie scene yesterday, no sign on the Hau one or Dugtrio yet though...

I just got home from work a little while ago, and I turned on my game because I wanted to go to Ten Carat Hill and see if that lady that points out TheBeachBoysDugtrio was on the beach yet. (she wasn't) And lo and behold, I see Lillie standing at the railing. I clicked on "Who are you" and she says the same thing to me that she said to that Youtuber in the video at night. Prof Kukui is helping her to take care of a Pokémon and she has to get going. And then she runs off. I walked around some more, but Hau didn't come out of the PokeCenter to meet me so I don't know when that will pop up.

I also tried to do the thing where you start the game on an odd number (going by the seconds in the time) last night and it didn't work for me. So I waited until later yet in the evening going by the timing when I knew the evening hours started in my ORAS game, and it was indeed night also in the demo.

So, have they brought back day/night-oriented music? The music in Hau'oli City is different at nighttime.
And yep, the music at night in the city was different.

I did click "Sure, I'll help" and she also leaves you and goes back to Town Hall, nothing happens.
Thank you!

I decided to reset and replay my demo but I can't get the cutscene with the player's mom. However I also got Lillie's cutscene. Perhaps the cutscenes are triggered on different days of the week? In Hau's cutscene he says "Sunday's almost over" so I expect it to occur οn Sunday.

Last edited:
I also got the event with Lillie earlier too. I'll have to try and get the others to activate at some point. I still haven't seen Dugtrio.

Yeah, I just got the Lillie event this morning. Still have yet to see Dugtrio and the Hau event, but maybe that one will occur on Sunday, along with the girl who sprained her ankle bit, since someone mentioned Hau saying something about Sunday.

I got the Lilli event today, but I don't know how to get the Dugtrio event and the Hou event.

So it's sunday (at least in my time zone) and it triggered the Hau event when I walked into the little restaurant. Also today is the day that one girl talked about, when the guy will come who helped her when she sprained her ankle
Its just a Machamp. They leave and nothing happens. Kinda disappointing tbh.

Edit:
So I got back to where she was standing and she is there again, but all she is saying is "it was fun at the beach".

Whatthefuckwadthisfuckingeventforidonteven

I talked to all the Machamps I could find, but nothing.

Last edited:
Apparently being drowned in massive amounts of Machamp was all it took to get me to like them more than Machoke, though.

...They're still trade evolutions so I'll never really use one though. :p

I got the Hau event and the one with the girl who sprained her ankle.
so disappointing. I don't know why I keep expecting things from the demo.

I walked into the restaurant but I didn't get the Hau event. I tried talking to him and then going in there, but it still didn't happen. I did talk to the girl though. That... was a little dumb. I mean, I didn't expect some super elaborate cutscene or anything, but I tought I'd at least get an item.

Back
Top Bottom