• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Dengeki DS announces new Pokémon game: Details to be revealed in May 21 issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thing is, it lines up with the announcements of HGSS and BW. Not sure about Platinum, but the last two sets of games were formally announced in May.
"Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness" was also first unveilved in May 2005 iirc.

"Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness" was also first unveilved in May 2005 iirc.

Not the point I was trying to make.

What I'm saying it that it's not so unreasonable to believe that the games will be RSDS/Gray.

Ooooh, this is so cool ^_^

Looks like more speculating and stuff... Whee! Pokemon is never boring!

(Hope it's Gray or an Emerald remake?)

What I'm saying it that it's not so unreasonable to believe that the games will be RSDS/Gray.
It is unlikely in light of Iwata's comment about seeing the Wii and 3DS games announced in the near future (as opposed to any DS games), and Game Freak's track record with developing games for new systems (they take their time). If you're not convinced by that, the consider the absolute lack of foreshadowing by the upcoming movie, as compared to any movie that preceded a main series release.

Also, Game Freak are currently working on a non-Pokémon game. While the director is James Turner and only a small group of people are involved in the development, this makes it fairly obvious that this year will be similar to 2005, when Game Freak only released Drill Dozer. After three consecutive main series releases, this should come as no surprise to anyone.

I don't know why people would want a 3DS game out now or even a new main series game every year.

I'd rather they took their time to make the games good and worth replaying long after the story is over versus shoving out low-quality games every year.

Considering how bad DP utilized the DS's capabilities, I'd much rather wait until they've learned to work with the 3DS properly

I think RSmakes should be on the 10th anniversary of R/S... like HGSS were 10th anniversary of GS.

This game should be Collesiumesque, with Gen V pokemon... maybe connect Orre and Unova as part of the same Country?

I don't know why people would want a 3DS game out now or even a new main series game every year.

I'd rather they took their time to make the games good and worth replaying long after the story is over versus shoving out low-quality games every year.

Considering how bad DP utilized the DS's capabilities, I'd much rather wait until they've learned to work with the 3DS properly

Who says the next main series games are going to be on the 3DS? Not to mention the 3rd Version and remake games won't take too long to crank out since they are more or less the first pair with new skins, add a feature here and there. I wouldn't mind Gray and RSEmakes coming out in the next two years on the DS (Dsi enhanced?), so they can spend those two years making the Gen VI headers for the 3DS, and making them well. Not to mention the suspense building by saying "we've got something to reveal next month". It seems like most of the side games have been more of an afterthought as far as marketing goes. Remember, we've already had one Gen V side game released with very little publicity compared to Black and White. Only other thing I could see is something big, and I mean really big, on the wii or something.

I don't get it, don't we know its just a Stadium type game for BW for the Wii? That hasn't had an official reveal yet, and we know they're working on it, so that's probably what it is.

I don't get it, don't we know its just a Stadium type game for BW for the Wii? That hasn't had an official reveal yet, and we know they're working on it, so that's probably what it is.

No. We don't "Know" anything yet as far as what this is. You could be right. You could be wrong. We don't "Know".

You have changed your tune from thinking its MD4.

I'm really excited about the revealing of this game, whatever it is I am ready to play a new Pokemon game (assuming Typing DS will be exclusive to Japan)?

While we don't "know" at this point in time, I think that is the most likely option.

Said this elsewhere, will say this again. Its gonna be gray and I'm gonna eat my hat if Pokemon doesn't become annual.

Not the point I was trying to make.

I know, but it's not unreasonable to believe that the games won't be RSDS/Grey either, especially as a new Pokémon Wii game has been teased for quite a while now - even more so than the 3DS game Iwata also mentioned.

It is unlikely in light of Iwata's comment about seeing the Wii and 3DS games announced in the near future (as opposed to any DS games), and Game Freak's track record with developing games for new systems (they take their time). If you're not convinced by that, the consider the absolute lack of foreshadowing by the upcoming movie, as compared to any movie that preceded a main series release.

Also, Game Freak are currently working on a non-Pokémon game. While the director is James Turner and only a small group of people are involved in the development, this makes it fairly obvious that this year will be similar to 2005, when Game Freak only released Drill Dozer. After three consecutive main series releases, this should come as no surprise to anyone.
James Turner is heading the non-Poké game? Cool. I agree that I doubt GameFreak will release anything in the same year as this new game; if anything, because a Pokémon game being released by them in the same year would completely overshadow it.

I'm guessing that the Wii game is a Stadium/PBR-style game, while the 3DS title is a spin-off to test the 3DS' capabilities.

I'm guessing that the game being released is going to be the new Wii game, which I am desperately hoping is a Colosseum-esque RPG game. I wouldn't be too surprised if it was Gray.

Considering the recent news that the rumors about the Wii's successor are true, and whatever the Wii2 is will already be revealed by June at E3 and will be out by next year, I'm guessing this new game will definitely be a Wii game. It'll most likely be the last time Pokemon'll be getting a new game for the Wii. Afterwards, any Pokemon home console games will probably be made for the Wii2. That's just my guess though.

Said this elsewhere, will say this again. Its gonna be gray and I'm gonna eat my hat if Pokemon doesn't become annual.

I'd better start cooking up that hat if I were you.

You guys just getting your hopes up. Its too early to be Gray/Whatever.

Who says the next main series games are going to be on the 3DS?

A few people want it to be, hence my comment

Not to mention the 3rd Version and remake games won't take too long to crank out since they are more or less the first pair with new skins, add a feature here and there.
Yeah, and like I said, I'd rather not have a subpar game that's basically the old game with a new paint job.

I wouldn't mind Gray and RSEmakes coming out in the next two years on the DS (Dsi enhanced?), so they can spend those two years making the Gen VI headers for the 3DS, and making them well.
Except Nintendo's current policy on revealing games (which for some reason this fandom is still slow on the uptake) shortly before their release which has applied to the last two main-series games and the spin-offs, so it won't be out in two years, but this fall if this announced game is the third version or RSEmake like people want.

I doubt they've been working simultaneously on the third game as they were on BW, and if they were doing that with potential remakes (which I doubt), it would mean we'd get subpar treatment on those.
Not to mention the suspense building by saying "we've got something to reveal next month". It seems like most of the side games have been more of an afterthought as far as marketing goes.
Except they aren't. They don't get marketed as much but we can look at Bulbanews' history and see that every spin-off has been announced in advanced, much like this game. I honestly don't see how this is causing 'more suspense'

Main series coverage is just the most salient thing in our minds, it doesn't mean spin-offs don't get coverage.

Remember, we've already had one Gen V side game released with very little publicity compared to Black and White. Only other thing I could see is something big, and I mean really big, on the wii or something.
Yeah, and that was an educational game. Games like Ranger had an entire website devoted to them much like the main series games. Obviously the coverage wasn't nearly as large but again, 'new game next month' is hardly big coverage as much as it is 'here's a reason to buy our magazine again =D'

James Turner is heading the non-Poké game? Cool. I agree that I doubt GameFreak will release anything in the same year as this new game; if anything, because a Pokémon game being released by them in the same year would completely overshadow it.
They're obviously making that game to see how the 3DS works out before shoving Pokémon out on there.

Last edited:
Considering the complete lack of details, it could practically be anything. Either a Wii game, Mystery Dungeon, Ranger, or even "Gray" if you're too hopeful. Surprisingly for anyone I've told this, I'm on the side of those who don't think there will ever be a R/S remake, but to fill that option, I say it could also be a main series title or spinoff, completely different from what we've seen before, justifying the suspense.

My thoughts toward this.

People are saying "B/W JUST came out worldwide!" Might I remind you HG/SS was also recently released worldwide when B/W were announced on April 9 last year?

While I don't really want to get in another argument about whether or not the next main series games will be on the 3DS (*cough* megatron *cough*) It would have to be Generation VI. Reasons being is because the 3DS is a brand new system and has differently shaped game cartridges. In that case you'd have to PAL PARK/POKE-TRANSFER POKEMON from one generation to THE SAME DAMN GENERATION. It just doesn't work that way where nintendo can leave a gaping hole in a generation like that, more or less only having two games in one generation.

I wouldn't be surprised to see main series games, but I can assure you this, if it is a main series title, it probably will still be on the DS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom