• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Depositng

Gigatron

Team Sea Slug
Reaction score
Probably a very silly question, I know, but curiosity got to me.

Anybody sometimes find it somewhat difficult to swap a member of your team? Particularly one that's been on for the long haul?

I ask because I recently decided I wanted to raise a Kibago on my team in White, but I already had a full team. The only one I felt I could sacrifice was Kokoromori (nicknamed Helicopter) but I felt a genuine guilt depositing him in the PC. He'd been on since the beginning and come in handy many times as my flyer (a job now taken over by Archeos). We'd bonded. XD

Granted, Kibago has much more potential as a battler, but it felt kinda sad to just swap him out.

So yeah, silly topic is silly. But anyone had a similar experience? Am I the only sentimental oddball?

Far from it. I regularly run into this problem. My Magnezone, through several poor move-learning choices, is next to useless now (Offensive moves? Zap cannon and Thunder. Ick.) But I can't bring myself to box him, because he basically helped me tank my way through the last 4 gym leaders in johto, and the elite 4.

I caught Lugia in SoulSilver (before I restarted my game) and I wanted to make room for it in my party but I couldn't bring myself to box Togetic. I ended up leaving Lugia in the PC.

Last edited:
I had that problem in Platinum, I knew that Staraptor was too weak to help with the Elite 4... so I had a VERY hard time to Deposit him for another Pokémon (Electrive), it was my first capture in Platinum, and I hadn't played Pokémon since FRLG was released before buying platinum, a year or so after it's release in English!

Oddly, I thought I would, but when I abandoned my typhlosion in the box... I didn't.

However, depositing people in my signature team, save Nidoking... yeah, that's hard.

In platinum I want to box my Gengar (he has the most disappointing performance out of all of my Pokemon). However, when i go to do it in favor of another Pokemon I find myself unable to do it.

I usually don't feel this way until after i beat the champion. But, when it is before it's just whatever. When I deposited Luxio I didn't care, but when I kept feeling remorse when I was going to do the same for gengar.

Not really, I boxed Flaffy and Quilava for Raikou and Entei even though they were my first two Pokemon in SS.

Choosing to box Bagon in Ruby and Gible in Platinum is a disappointing choice. Both Pokemon destroy the competition but I always go by one rule: Stick to a team that's able to learn all the HMs until every area that needs them has been cleared of all items and Pokemon I need. Though since Flash isn't an HM in the 4th Gen I sometimes box my Roserade for Garchomp.

In fire red, I had to replace Beedrill with Snorlax, because Beedrill was useless. It did bother me, though, because I'd had Beedrill since Viridian Forest. Actually, now I'm going to go level him up to make him feel loved ! :p

Only time I've done this was recently in Pearl. I decided I didn't want yo raise a Shinx, and that I'd catch a Pikachu later on instead.

Yeah, it was hard, but I replaced my Victreebel with a Weavile for the final E4 run in SS and for Red.

I try to only catch 6 Pokémon for this very reason. I'm playing Platinum right now and my team just got completed right past Veilstone, and I only had 3 or 4 team members for the first few gyms.

In the box I have three gift Pokémon, a Bidoof that I was really planning on using for the whole game, an Onix that I wanted to use but then I ran into a Houndour, and a defogger. No way was I gonna let Gliscor have defog. I felt bad when I put Bidoof and Onix in, though. After I beat the Elite Four for the first time, they're definitely getting a slot in the Hall of Fame.

This is one of the reasons I plan my teams before I go exploring. It would allow me to decide beforehand the team members that I want to bring on my quest. However, if you do want my depositing experience...

I only deposit when I need two HM slaves in my party, where I let a team member temporarily get into the box so that I have access to new areas, and sometimes it's a necessity too (Distorted World, anyone?). Also, in Emerald, I met an Absol, and decided that he's a better Pokemon to have around than Mightyena, since he has Pressure (not the best reason, but it was MY reason). I felt a little hesitant to give up my (at that time) hard-trained Mightyena, but I think the sacrifice was worth, because Pressure was helpful in my run (where I out-stalled a Milotic used by Wallace).

Thanks for reading.

Yeah, I (very sadly) recently boxed my Desukaan, as I needed a Flying type and Denchuraa was doing a great enough job taking care of Psychic types (with Signal Beam and...Sucker punch? I think?). I really didn't want to box him, but I got some validation, because now he's my main Dream World pal. So he still has a purpose ^___^

I just sidelined my Ambipom in favor of Electivire in Platinum after the Team Galactic stuff. It was kinda hard to do since he had been with me since the Valley Windworks, and he was the only one of my pokemon with a nickname, Ziggy. :/

When I get Black and White next year, I have a feeling I'm going to be rotating through quite a number of pokemon, it's too hard for me to choose between the amazing selection in this generation.

It does bother me sometimes depends on how much I like the pokemon species I guess or if it single handedly saved me on more than one occasion. If it shows me such loyalty there is very little I could do to switch them out.

In White, although I've finished the main storyline, I'm finding Kenhorou to be too weak in comparison to the rest of my team, but I just can't drop my lil FEZ. I remember when he was a Mamepato!

Ever since the Mew event I've become attached to it, and I haven't deposited it yet. From previous experiences, though, I agree that it's very hard to deposit a loyal Pokemon that's been one of your partners since you first started your journey.

~ Off-Topic (?): I thought this thread was going to be about how useless the Deposit/Withdraw feature is; I almost always use the Move function now :p.

I did that with my Umbreon in Soul Silver, replaced it with Lugia. The only thing he was good for was Pursuit and thats not even a good move in the adventure. And in my latest Pearl run through, I knew I had to give up one of my Pokemon for Palkia. I ended up ditching my Empoleon, which is a first for me. I always try to keep my starter because I feel attached, but that thing was doing nothing good for me. Empoleon is now the best HM slave there is though.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom