• Please check out our recent thread on handling different opinions and toxic behavior here.
  • If you are finding yourself unable to log in, you should be able to fix the issue by following the following process.
    1. Close all browser tabs with any part of Bulbagarden open.
    2. Delete all Bulbagarden.net cookies (and if possible, any cached site data for Bulbagarden) from your browser.
    3. Close and reopen your browser, open a new tab, and log into the forums on the new tab.
    If you've followed this process and are still having issues, please contact us via the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the forum.
  • Please remember to keep spoilers about the new Pokemon games in their respective sections here and here.
  • Announcing the National Bulbagraphic photography contest, open to entries from New Pokémon Snap and Sword and Shield, with prizes for the winners! A thread with all the details on how to enter can be found here.

Designs diference between XY and ORAS

average pokemon trainer
Reaction score
Hi, here I wanted to show you some pictures from pokemon oras and xy...
can you see the difference in the designs?
in xy everything looks more colorful and grey and rounded
but in oras the colors are dark green and blue.. and scuared
what do you think about it? do you like it?

PSS
pokemon information
menu
menu team

Last edited:
#1 Wooloo Fan
Reaction score
Re: Design diferences between XY and ORAS

I really like the aesthetic changes in OR/AS. Its stuff like this that really personalises the games, even if its relatively minor stuff.

The menu one is my favourite - the fact that the Bag option now looks like a bag, and Run looks like a shoe, and Pokemon looks like a PokeBall. The Fight button looks more intense now too. It's a neat touch.

Reaction score
I love how stylized ORAS is looking. XY looks nice and sleek, but the menu looks more like a webapp than a game.

UPN 事務職員
Reaction score
I prefer the look of XY's PSS, battle menu, and Pokémon menu. (The first, third, and fourth comparisons you uploaded.) The Pokémon information page is a toss-up for me.

It doesn't come across very well in fuzzy cell phone pictures, but the colors in XY's battle menu are much richer/deeper than they are in ORAS's. ORAS's feels very ... flat, very ... made by a design student in high school who has focused too much on form and not enough on shade and color. XY's battle menu, by contrast, looks more like something I expect out of a professional. But that's just for the colors and the general shapes. As far as the arrangements are concerned, they're pretty much the same thing -- an enormous "BATTLE!" bubble above and three smaller "BAG," "RUN," and "POKÉMON" bubbles below -- and I'm not too crazy about either one but it doesn't much matter. So long as it isn't hideous and it does its job, that's okay. I could do without the tiny sprite of the active Pokémon on the bottom of the battle box but Game Freak's been all about complexity over simplicity in terms of their design theory in recent years and so I really am not at all surprised that they want to stick that sprite in there.

The XY PSS menu blows the pants off of the ORAS PSS menu. The navy blue border bars look so much better than the gray ones ORAS uses. And ORAS's icons on the bottom row look super pixelated, despite being larger images (and thus having more wiggle room to work with on the images' borders), whereas XY's look much smoother.

As for the Pokémon menu (the last image pair), I really don't care for the forked picket fence-style boxes they have in ORAS for the Pokémon. Not just the design but the colors as well. (Again, they feel very 2-dimensional, very flat.) XY's is pretty darn simple with six ovular bubble-boxes, true, but it looks ever so slightly more professional to me than ORAS's. While the "humpy sprites" are a tradition much loved by many fans, I feel like design-wise ORAS presents a missed opportunity for the design team. They could've scrapped the humpies in favor of nice Gen 6 Sugimori artwork of the Pokémon's faces that would occupy the left half to left third of the creature bar. Delete most if not all of the unused space between the bars (and between the bars and the borders of the field), heighten the bars to fill up that space, and have nice-looking, larger bars with creature art to the left and the basic info (HP, Level, gender) to the right.

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
I'm gonna go with ORAS. While XY did have a more professional look to it like Talon mentioned, that resulted in a sterile and a very Mobile-RPG look and feel. It didn't have any personality, the text was weird, and it just didn't feel like Pokemon. BW/B2W2 were very playful and child friendly, all while being as mature as you can get for the older players, so going to the sterile wasteland that was XY was a bit weird. And like I said, the text was awful in XY. It still looks weird, but it has a better interface to blend with.

XY
Reaction score
I prefer ORAS over XY in all these examples. It's not that XY's were BAD but everything still looks nicer to me in ORAS.

The Fluffy
Reaction score
Tough to cal between them actually. XY definitely has the colours down over ORAS. Pokemon is a colourful game and the ORAS screens definitely look a bit desaturated. Otoh, the overworld screenshots have Hoenn much more colourful than Kalos, so that might not always be the case. I agree with what some have been saying about shapes though. Everthing's too round in XY.

Reaction score
OR/AS Battle menu is probably the worst i ever seen in a pokemon game.

Borderland Sword
Reaction score
Love ORAS'. The PSS screen looks so much more vibrant, the Pokemon Info looks so much more colorful, the Battle Menu looks absolutely fantastic, and the Team Menus looks really nice, as well. Overall, I love the changes ORAS made with these design changes. They look much better than XY's.

Dieter
Reaction score
In general, I think ORAS looks better, though the one exception is probably the battle screen, where I don't really have a preference for either (I'm not overly fond of either, ORAS has a bit too much going on, while XY is kinda boring and cold)

I'm glad they changed the colour of the PSS, cause XY's PSS reminds me of the colours of a cheap store, it just looks kinda tacky

Unregistered User
Reaction score
I didn't even notice, I like the small touch of bag for bag and etc.

ᦲᦲᒣ
Reaction score
ORAS's battle interface feels more feral and active, probably to compliment Hoenn's outdoorsy climate. And in that respect, I really like it. I'm also digging the angled battle entries as well.

The Darkest Magikarp
Reaction score
There are very few design choices that piss me off, but the battle menu in X/Y is one of them. It looks like some $0.99 tablet game.

It's like they're blatantly saying, "Ooh, look at us! We noticed that other games are using this pretentious style now!"

No, fuck you for thinking that's what I would want. At least the same menu in OR/AS looks like it belongs on the Wii, so that's a good improvement! I don't know why this bothers me so much, but it does. (Does anyone else feel enraged by the look of the FR/LG menus?)

Level 7
Reaction score
I'll be in the minority here, of course, but out of the examples given I prefer XY's interface in every instance except the Pokemon Information screen, where I find ORAS' design slightly superior.

I'm glad they didn't just copy/paste XY's interface for ORAS, but I actually find I'm not liking most of the adjustments they made.

Reaction score
I really prefer XY's battle and Pokemon menu over the one ORAS uses. Because of all the spikes and other shapes they use in some cases it just looks like random stuff put together. Its very unorganized compared to the smooth menu's in XY.
But that Pokemon info screen. Damn. That looks so much better in ORAS, stylish and practical. I don't bother to much about the PSS.

Simpler times ahead
Reaction score
I really prefer XY's battle and Pokemon menu over the one ORAS uses. Because of all the spikes and other shapes they use in some cases it just looks like random stuff put together. Its very unorganized compared to the smooth menu's in XY.
But that Pokemon info screen. Damn. That looks so much better in ORAS, stylish and practical. I don't bother to much about the PSS.
Unorganized....bwuh? Busy I can understand, but not unorganized. Its the same menu, just with a bag, a shoe, and a pokeball to represent the bag, run, and Pokemon buttons respectively. Its fun to have unique icons than those round buttons.

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
I'm lovin' the new designs and such. It's so much more vibrant, more interesting, more alive. Even the small changes, like the battle screen, are nice touches. And the in-game colors look much brighter and lively, just like Hoenn should be. XY wasn't bad, and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it was their first 3DS Pokemon game, so I'll consider that a trial run, but it did seem more flat, more bland, and they had a slight obsession with round edges. It definitely looks more like Hoenn this way, due to its more unique vibe. So I like the changes, a major step in the right direction.

Reaction score
Unorganized....bwuh? Busy I can understand, but not unorganized. Its the same menu, just with a bag, a shoe, and a pokeball to represent the bag, run, and Pokemon buttons respectively. Its fun to have unique icons than those round buttons.
Ah, so there is that word I was looking for, lol.