• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
The focal Pokemon are from Kanto, though. Those being Pikachu, Psyduck, Charizard and Mewtwo, and to a lesser extent Mr. Mime, Jigglypuff and Bulbasaur (look at the posters).

"So let me get this right: we're forced to listen to this spa music, so your head doesn't explode and kill us all."

Ooh, our old friends from 4Kids must be having a fit that someone is saying the k-word in Pokemon...
(Said by Pikachu no less!)

The focal Pokemon are from Kanto, though. Those being Pikachu, Psyduck, Charizard and Mewtwo, and to a lesser extent Mr. Mime, Jigglypuff and Bulbasaur (look at the posters).

True, but we're just happy Pokemon from other regions are here at all :D
For example, I doubt those Morelull are going to do anything, but it's still a treat seeing some Alola mons in this :)

Last edited:
From what we've seen so far, I'm cautiously optimistic for this. The designs aren't all horrible either, needs getting used to though.

At this rate, maybe we'll see more adaptations of Pokemon come out, like an Adventures/Special anime...

It's been reported that they're working on a sequel as well as considering a Red/Blue adaptation. But you're probably referring to OLM, and I don't think they want to do another anime, let alone a manga adaptation.

Realistic pokemon are FINALLY relevant, not just a fanart niche for biology nerds. The most important thing in those designs, at least for me, are the textures. Sometimes you can't be sure whether a pokemon is smooth or fluffy (which is important for art) unless you dig through the entire page of descriptions.

Say...since they're still saying their names...are they being voiced by VAs from the show, or just some guys?
Late response but that could be the case (I'm guessing Dee Bradley Baker would be one of the voices) or just archive audio from assorted media since Pokèmon is no stranger to doing that. Quite interested to see who they got if it's the first answer.

I'm Completely against this Movie's existance;

WAY TOO MANY POKEMON FALL INTO THE UNCANNY VALLEY; AND I don't care for it; I Hate the Uncanny Valley Live-action designs for the Pokemon;

Honestly; The Live Action CGI Stands from the Japanese Exclusive Jojo's Bizaare Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable Movie look much better and much less uncanny valley than the Pokemon in This Movie. . .

I'd even prefer seeing A Live Action Tokoyami Fumikage or Principal Nedzu in a Live Action My Hero Academia Movie over the Creepy Pikachu in THIS Schlock(DID I MENTION HOW MUCH I HATE THIS MOVIE); since Nedzu is a Rodent; and Stuart Little still looked decent in His 2 Live-action Movies(1 & 2) and didn't even reach the uncanny valley. . . and Still looked decent on less sophisticated Hardware; wheras Detective Pikachu is Very Uncanny Valley Even with the Advancement in Technology made since the early 2000s. . .

I'm Whole-heartedly AGAINST This movie; I loathe it; I hate the Uncanny Valley designs of the majority of the film's Pokemon; and I've hated it from the first reveal of the Pokemon's Designs. . .
Hate is such a strong word to use for something that is purely aesthetic. It makes you look close-minded.

Greninja?

I'm Whole-heartedly AGAINST This movie; I loathe it; I hate the Uncanny Valley designs of the majority of the film's Pokemon; and I've hated it from the first reveal of the Pokemon's Designs. . .

If you think the current designs are uncanny, you should really see RJ Palmer's (the guy who designed the live-action Pokémon) version of realistic Pokémon on DeviantArt. Seriously, some most of these designs are very, VERY unsettling.

And don't you think that it's a little unfair to judge the movie based solely on the designs of the Pokémon? What about the story, the characters and their personalities, the sets, the music, the cinematography, the world-building? Don't they matter in a movie as well? Aren't they just as important as (or even more important than) a minor artistic choice?

If you think the current designs are uncanny, you should really see RJ Palmer's (the guy who designed the live-action Pokémon) version of realistic Pokémon on DeviantArt. Seriously, some most of these designs are very, VERY unsettling.

And don't you think that it's a little unfair to judge the movie based solely on the designs of the Pokémon? What about the story, the characters and their personalities, the sets, the music, the cinematography, the world-building? Don't they matter in a movie as well? Aren't they just as important as (or even more important than) a minor artistic choice?

I mean... I’m personally neutral on the design choices, though some of them could be better, the 'minor artistic choices' are really not minor since Pokemon would be everywhere. Hard to enjoy the movie for people who really don’t like these choices since they’ll be watching these Pokémon everywhere in the movie.

Just me being the devil's advocate.

Hate is such a strong word to use for something that is purely aesthetic. It makes you look close-minded.
Because I Do; and I'm Completely against it; I Don't care how people see my opinions; They're my opinions, and MINE alone; and I Ain't changing them for anyone. . . and My Opinion is that Live-action Detective Pikachu Sucks, and so do the Uncanny Valley designs of the pokemon; and If people can't focus on anything but how buttugly the characters look, like Me; they're NOT gonna have ANY positive opinions about said characters in said Movie; and will VERY Strongly dislike said Movie with said Characters. . .

Hard to enjoy the movie for people who really don’t like these choices since they’ll be watching these Pokémon everywhere in the movie.
Exactly; That's a Major Point I have against this movie. . .

Because I Do; and I'm Completely against it; I Don't care how people see my opinions; They're my opinions, and MINE alone; and I Ain't changing them for anyone. . . and My Opinion is that Live-action Detective Pikachu Sucks, and so do the Uncanny Valley designs of the pokemon; and If people can't focus on anything but how buttugly the characters look, like Me; they're NOT gonna have ANY positive opinions about said characters in said Movie; and will VERY Strongly dislike said Movie with said Characters. . .

Exactly; That's a Major Point I have against this movie. . .
Why do you bold everything?

the 'minor artistic choices' are really not minor since Pokemon would be everywhere. Hard to enjoy the movie for people who really don’t like these choices since they’ll be watching these Pokémon everywhere in the movie.

What I was trying to say when I called the artistic choice "minor" is that the movie 'mon aren't that different from their base designs. Most of their designs in the movie are very close to the originals, except their scales/fur/feathers are more... pronounced than before. I'll agree that some of the Pokémon's eyes are weird, but they're not the worst thing in the world.

And, again, these designs aren't that disturbing, especially when compared to the DA realistic versions (which are down-right creepy).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom