• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're talking as if the same studio is making all these movies. The decision to use Mewtwo in Detective Pikachu was made by Creatures long ago, while OLM is revisiting the first movie to promote LGPE and experiment with CG in a familiar setting. As an aside, Mewtwo Returns wasn't a movie.

Detective Pikachu movies should have an ongoing story rather than jumping from one legendary to the next.

Last edited:
You're talking as if the same studio is making all these movies. The decision to use Mewtwo in Detective Pikachu was made by Creatures long ago, while OLM is revisiting the first movie to promote LGPE and experiment with CG in a familiar setting.

Detective Pikachu movies should have an ongoing story rather than jumping from one legendary to the next.

The news doesn’t really signal at an ongoing story of that's what you’re expecting. How does a movie based on Pokémon Red and Blue continue a Detective Pikachu story?
'Set in Detective Pikachu universe' could amount to a few Detective Pikachu Easter eggs.

You're also acting as if Pokémon is really fragmented, but all this is probably managed together with TPCi marketing. They have to take in account all movies and promotion irrespective of studios.

The news doesn’t really signal at an ongoing story of that's what you’re expecting. How does a movie based on Pokémon Red and Blue continue a Detective Pikachu story?
'Set in Detective Pikachu universe' could amount to a few Detective Pikachu Easter eggs.
You're mixing up two different reports. The only thing that is close to being confirmed is a Detective Pikachu sequel, while the Red/Blue movie is being considered.

You're also acting as if Pokémon is really fragmented, but all this is probably managed together with TPCi marketing. They have to take in account all movies and promotion irrespective of studios.
They must not think there's a problem, then. The point is that you're looking at very different movies and we don't know that Mewtwo is the center of anything but the Movie 1 remake.

I'd like to add that I doubt that any of those movies will be green-lighted before seeing Detective Pikachu's results, which means that they'll premiere at Summer 2021 at the earliest, when LGPE & M22 will be more than old news.

If I recall correctly, isn't a new trailer supposed to come out today?

My guess is that it was delayed because of the Birds of Pray teaser. There have been rumors of a Shazam trailer too, I'd assume that would have priority over DP as it's coming one month earlier. (All 3 movies are distributed by Warner).

Last edited:
unfortunately, I have read that Ryan Reynolds is going to be Detective Pikachu on the movie, so I guess this is true.

I'd like to add that I doubt that any of those movies will be green-lighted before seeing Detective Pikachu's results, which means that they'll premiere at Summer 2021 at the earliest, when LGPE & M22 will be more than old news.
The sequel is already in the works according to Hollywood Reporter. I think we can expect late 2021 or early 2022, but I agree with your point.

Today while browsing online I had cartoon network on and they showed a tv spot for the movie. I got so excited and gitty seeing it.

I can't wait for this movie; I'm taking my nephew and I really hope they show a Komala.

The sequel is already in the works according to Hollywood Reporter. I think we can expect late 2021 or early 2022, but I agree with your point.
The first movie isn't out yet and we don't know if it'll be a success or a flop but they're just going to make a sequel anyways???

It's hard to believe that it is going to be a flop with over 60 million views between YouTube and social media. But they haven't announced anything yet.

New TV spot with some new footage and dialogue. The main thing is a better look at Bulbasaur (who looks pretty good, IMHO) and an accurate-but-freaky-looking Likitung.
And I think Mr. Mime's trying to do a "Behind you!" warning they're not getting.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOvwcxtMaNk

The first movie isn't out yet and we don't know if it'll be a success or a flop but they're just going to make a sequel anyways???

Eh, happens all the time where a studio announces a sequel before the first one's even released. And then they cancel it when the first one doesn't live up to their expectations :p . (Warner Bros. is especially bad about it)

Eh, happens all the time where a studio announces a sequel before the first one's even released. And then they cancel it when the first one doesn't live up to their expectations :p . (Warner Bros. is especially bad about it)
Sometimes, they don't even need the movie to do well. Norm of the North was a failure in every single aspect and it's getting two sequels.

I have this feeling that that scene in the trailer where the main character is carrying Pikachu, who looks like he's been hurt, following all those bulbasaurs . I think they're being led somewhere that can heal Pikachu.

Lickitung looks weird not in a bad way, but just yeah its long tongue coming out and yeah I just know jokes about it are on its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom