• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
They're actually doing it?

R.I.P my childhood if this turns out to be another Dragon Ball Live Action movie....

EDIT: Thread title changed

Last edited:
I'm skeptical, but if it is Go-based and actually explains how Pokemon ended up in the real world, it could be interesting. The Superbowl trailer arguably foreshadowed it.

If it is true, I believe it won't be very good to be honest.

Many anime have a long running past of the live action movie being no where near as good as the anime itself.

^ Exception: Rurounin Kenshin

But to tell the truth, any live-action movie adaption where the original anime set in background of non-Real-Life or doesn't resemble Real-Life, and especially the originally light-hearted and comedic ones, are all tended to be sucks at the end.

Therefore, I don't expect Pokemon live-action movie will be anything good. Because its every bits of its original work settings were already impossible in terms of Real-Life standards.

Wow really? I have a bad feeling about this. Not because the plot wise, but how they might whitewash the characters like Ghost in the Shell right now.

Edit: unless they're making a completely new story and characters then I'm ok with that. But if they following the anime, then that be a big problem.

Huh.

Ya know, after the Pokémon GO trailer, the Superbowl Commercial, the Detective Pikachu trailer, and even that (failed) kickstarter movie (not to mention some commercials for various games), I was wondering if someone could try a Live Action something to the Anniversary. Looks like it just got one step closer to happening.

Though some things to clear up:

A) What's all this whining about movies based on anime? There are other Pokémon stories besides the TV show ya know. (It's the Video Game Movie Curse we should worry about)

B) A bidding war doesn't necessarily mean it's actually going to happen...

A) What's all this whining about movies based on anime? There are other Pokémon stories besides the TV show ya know. (It's the Video Game Movie Curse we should worry about)
Of course we can't rule out the games or the manga because those are valid candidates as well... but even if the games are popular enough to receive an adaptation, the anime is more widely known. Ask someone about a Pikachu, and most people would think of Ash and Pikachu, not the games. And with so many failures regarding live-action adaptations - most notably Dragon Ball Evolution and Attack on Titan *shudder* - it's enough to warrant worry whether they use the anime for the base story, or the games.

B) A bidding war doesn't necessarily mean it's actually going to happen...
The fact that a bidding war even exists means that there's demand for creating a live-action Pokemon movie. They feel that it'll be a money grabber, seeing how big and famous the franchise is. Besides...
The Pokemon Co., the Japanese outfit that manages the rights to the franchise spun from the hit Nintendo game, has been courting Hollywood to launch a big-budget live-action movie.
Apparently, The Pokemon Co. wanted this in the first place.

The only thing that I think would be OK for a live action film would be the N and Team Plasma plot from the B1W1 games, otherwise I don't think it would be that great especially if they're just going to use Ash and the other characters from the anime.

The thing that makes Pokemon so better than a lot of animes is their ability to allow for infinite amount of stories.

Unlike Dragonball or The Last Airbender, where they had a VERY specific storyline, that once they screwed that up, they screwed the entire movie over.

But Pokemon is one of those franchises, where you can make YOUR own series your own movie, and it doesn't need to resemble any actual story in any of the published sources. Game, Anime, Manga.

You can literally just create a movie about some new character and it involves Pokemon and it'll most likely be hit. Even if they base it on the games or anime or manga, any Pokemon live action will be inherently better than Dragonball or Avatar or other cartoon live action shows, because Pokemon is one of those franchises that offers a very fluid storyline. You literally can't butcher a character's storyline because in the instance of making a movie, it could easily take place in alternate universe which Pokemon by itself would allow. I mean sure I'd hate a movie with a racist characiture of black people version of Ash Ketchum (though I'm not black), but it works better than other anime/cartoons because it's Pokemon. You just basically need the Pokemon the moves, and everything in relation to the Pokemon itself and *BAM* you have a story. It's one of the reasons I love Pokemon so much.

That being said I can see how they can make a failure movie with Bad Acting, Completely Made Up Pokemon (I mean a couple wouldn't be too bad if within the narrative, like genetic crossbred Pokemon, or a scientist making one) but I definitely wouldn't want pretty much a spoof movie with socks with googly eyes using the move "Washing Machine Mystery" and it disappears and never comes back.

And I'm sure there are other minute things that would make this bad. But it is Pokemon and Pokemon is a very fluid subject that allows for nearly infinite amount of storyline possibilities. So I feel like it'll be immediately better than the other cartoon/anime live action movies just because of it. The quality of the movie, will then depend entirely on the actors/actresses, script (is it full of cheesy bad dialogue?), and what the Pokemon look like.

And I'm sure there are other minute things that would make this bad. But it is Pokemon and Pokemon is a very fluid subject that allows for nearly infinite amount of storyline possibilities. So I feel like it'll be immediately better than the other cartoon/anime live action movies just because of it. The quality of the movie, will then depend entirely on the actors/actresses, script (is it full of cheesy bad dialogue?), and what the Pokemon look like.

You see, that is the main problem. Especially regarding on representing the Pokemon creatures in Real-Life visual graphics, HOW one should do it? Please do not refer to those "Pocket Creatures" I found in Deviantart and Pixiv. Pokemon will be ruined if that is the Real-Life representation of them. I'm not looking towards a Monster Hunter movie.

BTW, in the Super Mario Bros live action movies, the Koopa Troopa had became dinosaur-human monster rather than turtles. Therefore, regarding on inclusion of non-Real-Life monsters, I don't really have faith to any live action movies where they can do any monster characters finely.

Sweet Arceus no. It is a known fact that eevry time Hollywood tries to make a live action film of a video game or anime, tehy always f**k up! They f**ked up Mario, they f**ked up Dragon Ball, they f**ked up Street Fighter, are you guys noticing a pattern here?

Meh. I'll start caring about this until the Phineas & Ferb, Adventure Time, Ben 10, etc. movies get done.

I think that if the producer would have been decided by now then TPCi wouldn't have made the Pokemon Go and Superbowl trailers. In other words, there is still a long way to go, and lots of reasons why it could be cancelled.

You see, that is the main problem. Especially regarding on representing the Pokemon creatures in Real-Life visual graphics, HOW one should do it? Please do not refer to those "Pocket Creatures" I found in Deviantart and Pixiv. Pokemon will be ruined if that is the Real-Life representation of them. I'm not looking towards a Monster Hunter movie.
They'll probably look like this. As long as they're treated as otherworldly creatures, they seem fine to me.

Kyriaki said:
the anime is more widely known. Ask someone about a Pikachu, and most people would think of Ash and Pikachu, not the games.
There is a reason why the anime movies haven't been properly shown in non-Japanese theaters since 2000. A live action Ash isn't the way to go, either.

So this would be a Hollywood production, made in America, am I understanding this correctly?

Ugh, please don't. Nintendo has been very careful about the franchise's appeal and if this crashes and burns I don't this will end well for its public image.

If this actually happens who wants to bet it'll feature only the first 151 and have 20-somethings as the characters instead of young children? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom