• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is so weird to see hyper realistic Pokemon. It isn't bad. I especially like the detail to the fur for Pikachu, but it's just so different than what I'm used to, particularly with some Pokemon having more scales. It wasn't as strange to hear Ryan Reynolds voice Pikachu oddly enough. The details for Pikachu's expressions probably helped. The trailer itself looked pretty neat and it does make me want to get the game before the movie comes out. I still haven't picked it up yet.
I've watched through a couple playthroughs of the game, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

^It's a chicken and egg thing. Gen 1 is recognizable so they promote it...but if they'd actually bother promoting the other gens they might be recognizable too.

^It's a chicken and egg thing. Gen 1 is recognizable so they promote it...but if they'd actually bother promoting the other gens they might be recognizable too.
I see a Victini logo in the background, so they aren't completely ignoring the other generations unlike LGPE does.

Last edited:
My post would make more sense if the one before it wasn't deleted...but I stand by my point. The preview has a very heavy Gen 1 focus.

Not a fan of furry Jigglypuff.

Well this is.... something. I was trying to stay optimistic for the movie and thinking the Pokémon could potentially look great, but this is some damn nightmare fuel. Also, hyperrealistic... no. In the sense that the Pokémon have detailed fur, maybe yes. But in my opinion they still look like computer generated characters interacting with human beings and I find it really distracting.

I'm disappointed but I guess the film overall could still have potential when it comes to story elements, worldbuilding and acting. This is also a first trailer and many movies had one trailer improve on the previous one. A lot of CGI-heavy movies are also known for releasing first tailers with unfinished CGI, so I suppose the next trailer could potentially improve my overall impression. But I think the general look and feel will mostly stay the same when it comes to this movie, so we'll see.

Based on this trailer alone, this is honestly not something I'd be interesting in seeing on the big screen, and I'm disappointed I feel that way about a live action Pokémon movie.

Only realistic pokemon in this that I don't like is jigglypuff. I'd like it to leave, please.

I am pretty much not into Hollywood or western media at all, so seeing it constantly try to adapt properties that don't fit into it is admittedly a pet peeve of me. Not everything needs to be a Hollywood movie. Things that aren't Hollywood can be good on their own. To me, this entire movie's existence is wholly unnecessary. The series is pretty antithetical to live action because it is about fantasy creatures that still need animating to exist.

Yes, I know, you may get new Pokémon fans out of it. Doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

Also, the Pokémon do not fit in with the humans at all. They still look too cartoony, but also lose a lot of their charisma from the increased focus on texture. Uncanny valley.

And the voice of Pikachu just feels completely unfitting. Not that Pikachu should sound more childish or anything, but more like that weird 3D model doesn't look like it should talk period. The expressions and mouth movements do not fit at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom