• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty much not into Hollywood or western media at all, so seeing it constantly try to adapt properties that don't fit into it is admittedly a pet peeve of me. Not everything needs to be a Hollywood movie. Things that aren't Hollywood can be good on their own. To me, this entire movie's existence is wholly unnecessary. The series is pretty antithetical to live action because it is about fantasy creatures that still need animating to exist.

Yes, I know, you may get new Pokémon fans out of it. Doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

Also, the Pokémon do not fit in with the humans at all. They still look too cartoony, but also lose a lot of their charisma from the increased focus on texture. Uncanny valley.

And the voice of Pikachu just feels completely unfitting. Not that Pikachu should sound more childish or anything, but more like that weird 3D model doesn't look like it should talk period. The expressions and mouth movements do not fit at all.
Don't blame hollywood. Blame gamefreak themselves.

I am pretty much not into Hollywood or western media at all, so seeing it constantly try to adapt properties that don't fit into it is admittedly a pet peeve of me. Not everything needs to be a Hollywood movie. Things that aren't Hollywood can be good on their own. To me, this entire movie's existence is wholly unnecessary. The series is pretty antithetical to live action because it is about fantasy creatures that still need animating to exist.

Yes, I know, you may get new Pokémon fans out of it. Doesn't mean I have to approve of it.

Also, the Pokémon do not fit in with the humans at all. They still look too cartoony, but also lose a lot of their charisma from the increased focus on texture. Uncanny valley.

And the voice of Pikachu just feels completely unfitting. Not that Pikachu should sound more childish or anything, but more like that weird 3D model doesn't look like it should talk period. The expressions and mouth movements do not fit at all.
To be fair, all movies are unnecessary in terms of existence. It's just some people want them to exist. And you can't argue many want to see what pokemon would look like in real life. And in my opinion saying that fictional creatures look to cartoony to be real, seems a bit unfair in terms of judgement.

To be fair, all movies are unnecessary in terms of existence. It's just some people want them to exist. And you can't argue many want to see what pokemon would look like in real life. And in my opinion saying that fictional creatures look to cartoony to be real, seems a bit unfair in terms of judgement.
My point is that something like Pokemon isn't designed for live action. It is full of creatures that would be best served in animation, as they do not exist, and much of the CGI really just IS animation anyway. Fictional creatures don't have to look realistic, but they do when they are juxtaposed against actual, real people and settings. They have to fit together, and they do not. At this point, they might as well go the full mile, remove the live action actors, and make it an animated picture. It would go a long way towards making the movie look more cohesive. It is unnecessary because of this. But because of this whole live action drawing larger audiences thing, they won't serve the movie with a medium that actually makes sense.

Also, just because many want to see Pokemon in real life, doesn't mean that I want to see that. To me, by my opinion, the movie should not exist in its current medium. But my opinion does not stop it from existing. And it is okay that others want it to exist. I knew it would exist at some point, inevitably. Again, that does not mean I have to approve.

I admit, maybe the people making the movie kinda forgot that Pokémon aren't animals, because animalistic characters can be made to look realistic in movies without it being disturbing, because that's the way we see animals all the time in the real life. In my eyes, Pokémon are supposed to be surreal and not be portrayed realistically. I don't support this realism idea 100%, but I'm positive and want to believe I can get used to it.

I don't know why they have to make the Pokemon designs so creepy, when their current designs with more realistic lighting would adapt to live-action pretty well (maybe with very subtle fur additions, but nothing like what is seen here). Nevertheless, I'm not going to get too upset about it. The movie itself is already too cheesy for me to begin with. Giving Pikachu a voice and a character like you'd see in a Seth MacFarlane "comedy" doesn't appeal to me to begin with.

I feel the realism route was the best decision, if you made look the same as in the games, they's stand out too much, but if made more realistic they feel like they fit more into the world
Dr0tIhcVYAAgeXr.jpg

Personally I think it's cool

I don't know why they have to make the Pokemon designs so creepy, when their current designs with more realistic lighting would adapt to live-action pretty well (maybe with very subtle fur additions, but nothing like what is seen here). Nevertheless, I'm not going to get too upset about it. The movie itself is already too cheesy for me to begin with. Giving Pikachu a voice and a character like you'd see in a Seth MacFarlane "comedy" doesn't appeal to me to begin with.
You should see what the game is like. The voices aren't the same, but it still has a lot of funny moments in it too.

My point is that something like Pokemon isn't designed for live action. It is full of creatures that would be best served in animation, as they do not exist, and much of the CGI really just IS animation anyway. Fictional creatures don't have to look realistic, but they do when they are juxtaposed against actual, real people and settings. They have to fit together, and they do not. At this point, they might as well go the full mile, remove the live action actors, and make it an animated picture. It would go a long way towards making the movie look more cohesive. It is unnecessary because of this. But because of this whole live action drawing larger audiences thing, they won't serve the movie with a medium that actually makes sense.

Also, just because many want to see Pokemon in real life, doesn't mean that I want to see that. To me, by my opinion, the movie should not exist in its current medium. But my opinion does not stop it from existing. And it is okay that others want it to exist. I knew it would exist at some point, inevitably. Again, that does not mean I have to approve.
So let me ask, what is your take on most fantasy movies? Or even to some degree, superhero movies. Most are in the same realm as this movie's going but some stuff in it are obviously not real, nor seem to fit in the real world either.

So let me ask, what is your take on most fantasy movies? Or even to some degree, superhero movies. Most are in the same realm as this movie's going but some stuff in it are obviously not real, nor seem to fit in the real world either.
I don't like Western Hollywood-style live action movies in general, as I said in one of my previous posts. So this is all just my own personal biases and dislikes.

In any case though, to avoid getting off-topic: I really have no interest in seeing this movie at all. It doesn't appeal to me, and asides from my whole dislike of the aesthetics clashing, the humor was not to my style. Other people can like it if they want, but it's not my thing. I also am not super bothered by Pokemon themselves cashing in on this trend, as they aren't a company who is averse to not seeking business like this. It's not as though I see Pokemon as some holy icon that cannot be touched. I just find this trend to be annoying.

I have zero expectations for this movie but I want to watch it because it honestly looks fun and entertaining. Some Pokemon look awful and I'm generally not happy with the current trend of turning everything into live-action. I'm not sure if I'm just being biased towards Pokemon but... it just looks like a fun movie to me. :LOL: I highly recommend the game as well.

I have zero expectations for this movie but I want to watch it because it honestly looks fun and entertaining. Some Pokemon look awful and I'm generally not happy with the current trend of turning everything into live-action. I'm not sure if I'm just being biased towards Pokemon but... it just looks like a fun movie to me. :LOL: I highly recommend the game as well.
Everything gets a life action this days: Phooh, NMNT,...

The trailer appears to be well received with a lot of people, both fans and casual movie fans alike. I'm happy to see that Pokémon is getting some love outside of the fanbase as well, regardless of how I personally feel about this first trailer.
What does NMNT mean?
I'm assuming it's a typo and PetitEevee meant TMNT, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Well I was not expecting that. It is really well detailed and it is funny too. I think they have spent a lot of time into this and I cannot wait to see it at the cinema. (especially the Mr Mime scene :p)

The trailer appears to be well received with a lot of people, both fans and casual movie fans alike. I'm happy to see that Pokémon is getting some love outside of the fanbase as well, regardless of how I personally feel about this first trailer.

I'm assuming it's a typo and PetitEevee meant TMNT, or Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
But Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles did get a live action movie. So did winnie the pooh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom