• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash? There's nothing hinting that Ash is Tim's dad. (in fact, a cameo from Ash's Pikachu in the game would suggest just the opposite)

EDIT: Whoops, just saw your edit! Yeah, that does sound like what it looks like so far!

Last edited:
Jigglypuff looks like an old woman singer past her prime. I wasn't expecting Ikue Otani in this.

It took a few days but the look of the movie is really starting to grow on me. Pikachu may look different but he still looks adorable. We still have a long time before the movie comes out so I doubt these are the final renderings of the Pokemon. Also they have Greninja army so I must see it multiple times.

I'm really liking this trailer. I've seen a lot of mixed comments about the realism of the Pokemon but I'm finding myself really enjoying that - it adds depth to the Pokemon imo.

Plus Ryan Reynolds is a genius casting choice, he's hilarious.

Quick question: what made people believe that Danny DeVito was going to voice Pikachu in the first place? Rumor? Telephone game?

They were hoping for it because of its voice in the game. There even was a petition at one point to get him voice the character! (For the game, if I recall correctly.)
And then it turns out Danny didn't know what Pokémon was.

Also, regarding the whole "realistic fur on Pokémon" deal...I think that's how characters in the games, anime and manga see the Pokémon, but we see them as smooth due to technical and artistic limitations at the time, so the movie gives us their viewpoint.

Last edited:
And then it turns out Danny didn't know what Pokémon was.

Also, regarding the whole "realistic fur on Pokémon" deal...I think that's how characters in the games, anime and manga see the Pokémon, but we see them as smooth due to technical and artistic limitations at the time, so the movie gives us their viewpoint.
It has nothing to do with technical or artistic limitations. That's the art style that the srtists of the anime and manga use because that is their art style.

For me, it's too early to have an opinion on whether I think the movie will be good or bad, based on just this one trailer so far.
I'm interested in seeing how the trailers progress from here until the movie's release, and what kind of scene snippets they will release so that we can see some actual non-trailer footage of a scene.

Really the only concrete opinion I have at the moment is that I am so glad they got a different voice actor for the movie.
I downloaded the game demo and I absolutely could not stand the VA in the game demo. That deep, gravelly voice for a Pikachu, and the constant "Tim!" ; "Yo, Tim!" ; "Down here, Tim!" got on my nerves so bad, I uninstalled it before I even finished the demo.

I mean, the trailer looks good, yes. But you know how trailers are put together. They pick through the movie and pull out what they feel are the best snippets and cobble them together. Time will tell as other trailers are released, and scene footage is revealed.

Really the only concrete opinion I have at the moment is that I am so glad they got a different voice actor for the movie.
I downloaded the game demo and I absolutely could not stand the VA in the game demo. That deep, gravelly voice for a Pikachu, and the constant "Tim!" ; "Yo, Tim!" ; "Down here, Tim!" got on my nerves so bad, I uninstalled it before I even finished the demo.
Really?! I've heard many people liking Pikachu's voice in the game, including myself!

He doesn't talk as much in the main game after the tutorial, only occasionally calling too you.

I haven’t played detective Pikachu so I have a question- how is the player able to understand Pikachu?
It's not really explained, but it may have some connection to the strong implications that
Pikachu and Harry (Tim's missing dad) have someway been fused together.
So, like @BackSet said, it's not about lazy writing, it's a plot point.

It's not really explained, but it may have some connection to the strong implications that
Pikachu and Harry (Tim's missing dad) have someway been fused together.
So, like @BackSet said, it's not about lazy writing, it's a plot point.
I thought that too.

I find it funny that the closest thing we've gotten to a gun since season one of the anime is a stapler.

Plus Ryan Reynolds is a genius casting choice, he's hilarious.

>Ryan Reynolds
>hilarious

966dbb89f86f612fcb58a4dde6385c38df88ba63e170c5c076699b6afd288390.jpg

>Ryan Reynolds
>hilarious

966dbb89f86f612fcb58a4dde6385c38df88ba63e170c5c076699b6afd288390.jpg
Actually, it is possible to use them in a sentence like that. It's possible to use any word in a sentence with any other word so long as the rules of english grammar are followed. As such I can say "my car walked out of the toaster" and it would still be a plausible sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom