• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Preview Detective Pikachu

Status
Not open for further replies.
A bit late to this topic, but i still want to give my 2 cents on whole live pokemon movie idea.
On one hand im surprised that pokemon franchise decided to invest in first real life action movie ever. But pokemon detective esque Sherlock Holmes type of movie with Pikachu starring in it is not exactly kind of product i was looking forward to.

Than again pokemon fandom seem to be extremely dead set against any real life adaptation using as source of inspiration and ideas characters from video games or anime. And it is don't get me wrong due to valid and understandable reasons given how catastrophe of likes such as Mario or Dragon ball evolution ended up. Turning in nightmare to watch and go through.

To the point that any idea of real life movie with Ash and Misty, Brock or whoever else included in it is despised and awaited with lot of negativity and criticism.

So some neutral based territory to take from movie studios in collaboration with pokemon company where spin off is made sounds like most calming and reassuring compromise. If real life movie based on pokemon in any shape or form needs to happen.

However i have to address one thing. And that is how even if movie based on characters from anime was to happen that does not mean how it would 100% end up in disaster. Yes based on how movie studios did several other manga or anime based adaptations translating it on big screen gives lot of fuel for skepticism and doubts. But dismissing possibility of movie based on original trio, or any other main cast with Ash in it as "awful and destined to be bad" is still highly narrow minded and rather black and white view on this concept.

Considering how just because something has good chance to turn out bad does not necessarily mean it would indeed be bad.

Just like coin has two sides to it, so does exist more than one path and direction in which real life movie adaptations of pokemon series could go. And that direction may aside from negative turn out to be positive as well. Depending on script, how creative storyline may be, source of conflict and mission in which Ash and his companions would be involved. Most importantly if at end of the day such enterprise would hold artistic value and succeed in fulfilling fans expectations.

Now im not advocating how movie based on pokemon anime happening is necessarily the only right solution or should happen, but i felt need to point this out. Due to everyone(or at least big majority) immediately discarding such idea as terrible without taking in account all scenarios and variables objectively.
No offense or anything, but is English your second language? This post is a little... clunky.

No offense or anything, but is English your second language? This post is a little... clunky.

It doesn't matter if English is their first, second or tenth language. If you find that a post is "clunky" and don't want to spend effort into understanding it than just ignore it please. "Clunky" posts that are on topic are way better than posts with no relevancy.

Impromptu countdown! These are my Top 3 Hopes For Great Detective Pikachu: The Movie!

3. Danny DeVito or Keith David get cast as Pikachu
- DeVito is obviously the fan favorite and I'd certainly be on board but in the event that he's unavailable or not interested Keith David would be my runner up. If you want proof of his credibility watch any episode of Gargoyles. Or watch it anyway because it's amazing.

2. A Japanese child actor is cast as Tim Goodman
- It'd be a nice surprise and a fitting choice. Here's hoping.

1. The game actually gets released outside of Japan!

- This one's a no-brainer but I still can't believe this game hasn't been announced for a worldwide release yet. I would hope that the buzz surrounding the movie will get Nintendo to publish the game outisde of Japan. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's already happening. Either way, I wanna play this game!

Impromptu countdown! These are my Top 3 Hopes For Great Detective Pikachu: The Movie!

- DeVito is obviously the fan favorite and I'd certainly be on board but in the event that he's unavailable or not interested Keith David would be my runner up. If you want proof of his credibility watch any episode of Gargoyles. Or watch it anyway because it's amazing.

- This one's a no-brainer but I still can't believe this game hasn't been announced for a worldwide release yet. I would hope that the buzz surrounding the movie will get Nintendo to publish the game outisde of Japan. Or maybe I'm wrong and it's already happening. Either way, I wanna play this game!
Perhaps the reason they're making a movie out of this game specifically is so that it can be released in conjunction with the English version!

4. Hire Lyrebird

Totally should add this. I'll be cool for a cameo.

Any live action of pokemon is going to fail in my opinion.

This is late, but bears putting on this thread:

They've gotten Rob Letterman to direct.

It's even finally getting recognition and acknowledgement on the Pokémon website.

One way or the other, this should be interesting... :unsure:

Kotaku is usually right about this kind of stuff. The movie is either going to be great or terrible. There's no in-between with it. It'd be nice if it was based off of the Pokemon Adventures manga.

This is late, but bears putting on this thread:

They've gotten Rob Letterman to direct.

It's even finally getting recognition and acknowledgement on the Pokémon website.

One way or the other, this should be interesting... :unsure:

Yeah not really liking much of the director's past work. I'm still thrilled that Alex Hirsh and Nicole Perlman are writing so hopefully Letterman can do some good work with the material provided.

I just... That article is was interesting to read, but as far as Pokemon actually getting a live action film, I would be iffy. If it were to be based on the anime it would probably turn out awkward and horrible, and if it were based on it's own story with a more typical human cast, it... would probably also be awkward and terrible. Maybe if they were to base it on the manga or games, but those have the Pokemon Generations anime now, and do not need a live action film at all. The concept is cool, but I don't believe they could ever do it in a way that would please most fans. It probably would gross a lot opening weekend just because it's Pokemon, but I think after that it would tank. Really hard.

I just... That article is was interesting to read, but as far as Pokemon actually getting a live action film, I would be iffy. If it were to be based on the anime it would probably turn out awkward and horrible, and if it were based on it's own story with a more typical human cast, it... would probably also be awkward and terrible. Maybe if they were to base it on the manga or games, but those have the Pokemon Generations anime now, and do not need a live action film at all. The concept is cool, but I don't believe they could ever do it in a way that would please most fans. It probably would gross a lot opening weekend just because it's Pokemon, but I think after that it would tank. Really hard.
Uh, this movie is going to be based on the Detective Pikachu game. That was announced months ago. Why are you still speculating on what it's going to be about?

Why the skepticism? The source is a recent production listing. If there ends up being a delay, I'd think that it would be a minor one at this point.

The London setting is interesting since the game takes place in Boston. I prefer the idea of watching English actors intermingle with Pokemon, personally.

Is it a kid's movie, or something more general? Is there any pokemon other than Pikachu?

Featuring only genwun mon in the movie would be very limiting and boring. The Detective Pikachu game features Pokémon from many generations right from the start (like Aipom and Diggersby), so there's hope.

I prefer the idea of watching English actors intermingle with Pokemon, personally.

If some people from Dr. Who get in this...hoo boy.

(Also...part me wants Tim Curry to voice Mewtwo now :oops: )

Is it a kid's movie, or something more general?
Adults can watch kids' movies, but not the other way around. Chances are that the dialogue and plot will be more attuned for adults than the anime movies are, but kids will still be able to enjoy the movie.

Come to think of it, the concept of a talking Pikachu in London is definitely reminiscent of the Paddington movie, which was reviewed very positively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom