• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Detective Pikachu

I saw the movie yesterday and I really enjoyed it.

I really liked the Rhyme City setting. Seeing Pokemon everywhere just made the setting more realistic and fleshed out. It does look and feel like a city where people and Pokemon can live together in harmony. Not allowing Pokemon battles or people to catch Pokemon kind of worked with that too. Admittedly, seeing cave drawings hand Ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics with Pokemon was kind of hilarious to me, but it does establish that Pokemon have been in this world basically from the start and they just roll in it. Most of the Pokemon designs work pretty well in CGI. Even Charizard looked better than I expected. I think that the Pokemon with fur liked Pikachu looked the best, although Psyduck and other Pokemon with feathers looked pretty good. I do kind of wish that there was a bit more variety in which Pokemon were featured here. I can understand why they mostly focused on first generation Pokemon for marketing towards a more general audience, but a part of me is kind of disappointed that we didn't get a CGI Lucario, Popplio or Cyndaquil at the same time. It doesn't bring the movie down by only having a short amount of Pokemon. It was probably a better idea to go that route in terms of their production and just testing the waters on how CGI Pokemon look like, but it's more of a problem I have as a long time fan than I would if I was more of a casual Pokemon fan.

I really liked the relationship between Tim and Pikachu. It grows pretty naturally over the course of the movie and it was much more emotional than I expected it to be. I thought it would be more of a comedy given the trailers and while there are still plenty of funny moments, I wasn't expecting as many emotional scenes with Tim dealing with his father and bonding with Pikachu. It was a nice surprise all things considered. I think some of my favorite moments were about Tim regretting his decision to not give his father a chance and trying to save Pikachu after it got hurt. Those were some of the most emotional moments of the movie and they felt so genuine and earned. A lot of people have already praised Ryan Reynolds' performance as Detective Pikachu and he does have a lot of fun with the role. I kind of wish that the trailers didn't show as much of his scenes in a way because I had already seen them multiple times before the movie even started. They were still funny, but I think that they lost a bit of their punch because they were featured so heavily in the promos and trailers for the movie.

I thought that the overall storyline was pretty engaging. While there weren't a lot of suspects to choose from with the actual villain, I was still caught off guard with the reveal. I kept going back and forth on who the villain actually could be for awhile and the twist with the Ditto was especially surprising. I was fine with how Mewtwo was used. It was imposing and mysterious, but ultimately a victim of the movie's villain rather than the true mastermind too. I was a bit confused on how it apparently already has existed for twenty years, but seemingly wasn't more widely known in spite of that. Part of that probably also comes from how they make direct references to the anime's first theme song, which gave me the impression that it could exist within this universe too. It's more likely that it was just a reference, which is still pretty neat. I liked how many nods there were to different parts of the franchise like the cards, anime and main series games. It really gave the impression that the people involved cared about the franchise as a whole and wanted to throw some neat Easter Eggs for longtime fans to pick up on.

The climax was surprisingly intense. I liked seeing Pikachu's attacks and as I said before, that Ditto twist was a huge surprise. It was also surprisingly brutal considering what it was trying to do. The ending twist with Detective Pikachu being Tim's father was spoiled to me shortly before I saw the movie, although I might have figured it out during the climax anyway. Fortunately, that didn't really have a negative impact on the ending for me. Having Tim decide to stay with his father after everything they went through together was an emotionally touching and satisfying way to end the movie. Plus, actually seeing Ryan Reynolds during the last scene was pretty neat. It was rather sweet that Tim could reconnect with his father through his bond with Pikachu.

It did feel like the movie was a bit too slow paced at times, but I'm almost positive that the amount of trailers I watched prior to it contributed heavily to that issue. I had already seen most of these trailers online, so watching them again in a theater just felt like padding. I still can't emotionally handle dog movies if my reaction to the trailer for A Dog's Journey was any indication. I did wonder if they were going to play the Sonic trailer in front of this movie and they did. The ridiculousness of seeing that trailer right before this one was pretty hilarious though. I wasn't a huge fan of Lucy. I don't know if she could be written out of the story altogether, but she wasn't particularly interesting or compelling, despite her desire to become a more respected reporter. She does well for the role she has in the movie, but I can see why she wasn't really focused on during the promotion for the movie compared to the other leads. The romance between her and Tim also felt pretty forced. It fortunately wasn't focused on heavily during the movie. The main relationship is between Tim and Pikachu, but trying to force in a romance angle between them just felt so flat for me. They just don't have much chemistry to make Tim's comment about how he finds Lucy attractive believable. It just felt tagged on as the obligatory main male and female leads developing feelings for each other. It would have been more of a problem if the movie focused on that more, but it luckily didn't. Her Psyduck was pretty cool and funny though.

Overall, it was a pretty fun and solid movie. I remember thinking that this movie would be stuck in development for years and I didn't believe it was actually going to happen until the first trailer dropped. After seeing it, I'm glad that they did make it and I think it was pretty smart to adapt a side game instead of one of the main series games or the anime. As cool as it would have been to see Pokemon battling more often in the movie, I think having a pretty simple story to work with and showing just how people and Pokemon can live together works in its favor. It basically gives the creative team a chance to tip their toes into the franchise, seeing how to make CGI Pokemon designs work and potentially use this movie as a building block for any possible future movies. I also kind of appreciate that the movie feels pretty self-contained or at least doesn't leave a lot of room for continuations. In an age where studios are trying to create their own cinematic universes, trying to do that right off the gate could have been more of an issue for this movie. I know that there are rumors of a sequel being in development, but I don't know how that will work given this movie's ending. I can definitely see them having more movies set within this universe, but I don't know about featuring these characters again. It's a fun movie for long time Pokemon fans, as well as for a more general audience, so I think it's worth watching in theaters.

Last edited:
The movie is doing fine in terms of box office. Warner Bros seem happy.

Hidden Mew said:
I was a bit confused on how it apparently already has existed for twenty years, but seemingly wasn't more widely known in spite of that.
It's pretty appropriate for Mewtwo to keep its distance from people. Even the ending of Mewtwo Returns only referred to "stories of a mysterious Pokemon who roamed freely, but only by moonlight." In this movie, it doesn't even want to be in Ryme City.

Just read that some kids, instead of seeing the movie were shown a Horror Film by mistake
Again? I recall this also happened with Finding Dory and one of Paranormal Activity movies (might be mixing up one of the two movies). Let's just say that the poor kids were left crying...

Judging by the reviews people have been giving (I'm immune to spoilers) I might watch it even if I don't like the models. I'll just wait till it hits Netflix or something. Maybe this will break the videogame movie curse.

Nick Furry: I'm here to talk to you about the Smash Bros initiative! I'm just playing, Pokemon is a big enough universe to explore without the need for other series. But seriously this is the start of the Pokemon Cinematic Universe.

I am not what you mean by Movie 20 (except for the nightmare scene that wasn't really explored), but Movie 21 was pretty similar to this one in some sense. In both movies, the focus is on Pokemon co-existing with people in a city, and the protagonist(s) being bogged down by their past and relying on Pokemon to overcome it.
Yes, Detective Pikachu wasn't really a Pokemon at heart, but the fact that Tim believed he was made it possible for him to bond with his dad.

Movie 20 gave some insights about Ash's motivations and core values and how important it is to stay true to them. And Movie 21 was much more than that, as collaboration between humans was key as well as admitting your own flaws and mistakes. Tim changed but not to the degree the M21 characters (bar Ash) did.

Movie 20 gave some insights about Ash's motivations and core values and how important it is to stay true to them.
I guess, but it was nothing we didn't already know and I don't think it was executed very well. Ash is very far from a real person.

And Movie 21 was much more than that, as collaboration between humans was key as well as admitting your own flaws and mistakes. Tim changed but not to the degree the M21 characters (bar Ash) did.
But then collaborating with a bunch of strangers and admitting your flaws to them isn't very realistic, as endearing as it might be. Obviously the Detective Pikachu plot has very little realism, but the idea that
unexpected circumstances can bring you closer to your family is something that can be applied in any world with people.

I guess, but it was nothing we didn't already know and I don't think it was executed very well. Ash is very far from a real person.
But then collaborating with a bunch of strangers and admitting your flaws to them isn't very realistic, as endearing as it might be. Obviously the Detective Pikachu plot has very little realism.

Well, everyone has their opinions and visions about the movies. But for me, DP's theme isn't really clear.

Fair enough.

Here's hoping that the movie does well enough to greenlight another live-action one, which doesn't use a single Pokemon/actor as the main appeal. They shouldn't be afraid of veering into the main series' lore.

Last edited:
I loved it! Here are some stray thoughts!

- I love that Mewtwo spoke with a male and female voice simultaneously. It makes sense since it has no gender.

- Whole lot of Treeckos!

- Pangoro and Pancham are two of my favorites so I was happy to see them!

- Always had a feeling that we'd see a live action Pokemon movie one day but I never thought it'd have Black actor as the lead! Super happy about that!

- Was that a shiny Cubone?

- The Bulbasaur scene would have been a great way for the audience to see Mewtwo in person for the first time. Makes me wonder if that opening scene was added late in production.

- We all know that was Red/Satoshi in the Ryme City intro right?

- It's a shame the anime BGM is tied up in license issues. Would have been nice to hear some more familiar tunes.

- Charizard's expression when it saw Gyarados was priceless!!

- Loudred beatboxing!! Brilliant! Too bad it was dubstep :(

- Lucy was okay but I kind of missed Emilia and Meiko.

This is a trivial, but I just realize that the Hollywood Reporter has a chief critic named "Tim Goodman" and he has yet seen the movie.

- We all know that was Red/Satoshi in the Ryme City intro right?

Yes, he was literally red:

bacd4a2bf903bab278a0d241fc9733c7.jpg

kamen-rider-drive-02-subtitle--554ce79493b19.jpg

There are, however a couple of parts in the movie that creeped me out.

First, when Howard/Mewtwo begins merging humans with Pokémon. The process was already scary enough, but I'm pretty sure I saw some get merged into Bug-types that are commonly prey for certain Flying-type Pokémon, according to the Pokédex.

Second, Ditto. Remember how silly the Pokémon look when a Transformed Ditto retained its beady black eyes? Put the eyes on a human that it's impersonating, and it went from goofy to "citizen of the Uncanny Valley"!

When I watched this in the cinema yesterday, there was only one other person. Then again it was lunchtime on a school day

Apparently they already have plans for a sequel which will be interesting

I've just watched it and it is so good! I am waiting for the sequel. I would love to watch it again in order to understand the story better. Pikachu with fur is soo cute and he wins Tim's heart! So are other CGI Pokemon and they look so realistic! I want to move to Ryme City if it exists :)

The Detective Pikachu movie brings up weird questions about the nature of personal identity.

That titular mouse is supposed to be Harry Goodman, a famous human being who works for the police, in the body of an adorable fantasy creature. However Mewtwo took his memories before the transition and after sending him back into his old body memory wipes him again so technically Harry Goodman and Detective Pikachu are completely separate persons instead of one entity occupying multiple physical forms through out its existence.

I am having flashbacks to my philosophy classes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally I was able to watch this movie. Seriously, I don’t know why I let Rotten Tomatoes and YouTube movie critics to lower my expectations, this movie is great!!
Maybe a little rushed towards the climax, but I don’t want any scene to be removed. So I really don’t know what could make the story better.
- I wasn’t a fan of the CGI pokemon designs at first, but now I admit they were great.
  • I seriously love the part of the Giant Torterra. I thought it was Mewtwo at first just to be pleased with a great surprise
  • The ditto lady: I thought it was a clear reference to team Rocket, and a wink to Jessie and James hair color. For us who like Pokemon, this little details are awesome. Specially if you noticed that ditto made an appereance before. But for people who don’t know anything about Pokemon it is confusing as hell, probably this is why the movie is getting all those not-so-great reviews
-The end was great, I love the idea of fighting on the ballons
- I was told the movie was a copy/paste of Zootopia. So I was glad they implemented this mind switch thing at the end
-I love the credit sequence, it’s fantastic

-I really hated that Pikachu went back to normal, I would love if Harry died and he stays as a Pikachu forever
-I couldn’t watch the movie in English since my local theatre was just playing the Dub version. But it wasn’t that bad. Coincidentally, the dude who dubs to Spanish Ryan Reynolds in most of his movies including Deadpool, also dubs Team Rocket James. So Pikachu kinda sounds as James in Spanish
-Also I think they should have expended more time finding clues about the bad guy’s plan

Overall it’s a great movie that anyone who likes Pokemon would enjoy . Way better than all the animated movies for sure

I saw the most yesterday and am going to see it again tonight. I took my uncle and baby brother with me. My uncle is 4 years my senior and also a fan of OS from Kanto to Orange Islands. Everyone loved it.

As usual, my uncle talked the entire movie so I'm expecting to see more than I did the first time.

Also 9/10. Better than the anime movies. Much better foreshadowing. Great characterization.

Actually, you know what I want to have happen to me?

Howard infects Arceus with R, then transfers my consciousness into it.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom