• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Review Detective Pikachu

This was a very solid entry, although truth be told I think my companions (those darn casuals) enjoyed it a lot more than me. For me the highlights were all things Detective Pikachu/Ryan Reynolds and
that AWESOME Torterra garden scene!

Clifford was a pretty obvious and uninspiring villain, but his Ditto on the other hand was a freaking legend. I was crying with laughter when Ditto-Cubone was hammering at Tim's knuckles as he hung off the building.

The only thing I really disliked was Lucy and the utterly contrived romance plot between her and Tim. She was the only real female character and she didn't do enough to justify her existence, it was so disappointing.

Ultimately, I think if I didn't enjoy the movie as much, it is mostly down to my insatiable expectations as a dedicated fan of the franchise. There's just no way anyone could get in enough content, lore and pure Pokemon numbers to make it 'perfect' for someone like me. As it is though, my sister (a 19yo hardcore hater of the anime) left the cinema saying this was the best movie ever and when can we watch it again so ¯\(ツ)

I've seen the movie twice so far, and I'm angling to see it a third time this weekend.

It's one of those films that I think, for me, really benefited from a second viewing. The first time I saw it was as a Thursday night preview at 10:30 PM in 3D (our only option) while on vacation, so I was exhausted by the time we got to the movie but I was determined to see it in previews! I think I was more in awe of the "real" Pokemon than anything else, although I laughed at quite a few scenes and really enjoyed the movie as a whole. The second time around I saw it in the afternoon when I had off from work, so I feel like I caught a lot more having already seen it and had a better understanding of the plot and where everything was headed.

It's certainly not a super deep plot, but it's enough to keep you interested, in my opinion. Plus all of the "real life" Pokemon were so cool! It really made me wish Pokemon were real more now than ever, aha. And the lore and world building you can get out of this film! So amazing. I wish it were longer just to focus more on that. The twist was okay...I was a little surprised by it, but it wasn't a total shock or anything like that.

I do agree with those who said the romance between Tim and Lucy felt forced...and that's coming from someone who could probably ship two trees together. It didn't detract or anything like that, and it was cute enough, but they really could've at least written it better if that's the direction they were determined to go in. You really couldn't tell Lucy was interested at all, throughout the whole movie. I honestly think they worked fine as friends.

The first time I saw it with my friend, who also grew up loving Pokemon but hasn't followed it as closely as I have over the years, and the second time I saw it with my sister and her boyfriend. I don't think my friend was super amazed by it (she thought it was cute, but that was about it) but my sister absolutely LOVED it. She's fine with Pokemon, but has never been AS into it as I am. Still, she said it was the best movie she's seen in a long time. It's been almost a week since we saw it and we're still quoting it to one another.

I think, overall, the film is great for big and casual fans alike. Big fans might have some more gripes about it or want more out of it (I know I had a few, but I'm super into Pokemon and was able to answer all of my sister's questions after the movie in terms of Pokemon lore, attacks, abilities, etc. I can't do things like that for, say, Avengers, which I enjoy the films but I'm not a hardcore comic reader or anything like that) but I think the movie did a great job balancing the Pokemon and non-Pokemon elements so fans of all different backgrounds could enjoy it.

Saw it and didn't like it much. I was fully prepared to dislike Pikachu since he's voiced by someone that I've never liked and don't even consider to be a good actor (more of a meme, really), but ironically I didn't mind Pikachu as much as I disliked the acting from the other main characters. But to me the worst thing about this movie were some of the CGI models for the Pokemon like Mr. Mime and Aipom, which just looked really jarring. I know that this isn't a main series film, but I still feel like the cuteness factor that the franchise usually goes for was ruined. The plot was decent enough however, although I might have enjoyed it more if I had played the actual Detective Pikachu video game.

Didn't see this anywhere, but here's the sprite art from the credits recreated in game form:

OHlgooj.png
NBgHr3W.png

This is nitpicky, but I wouldn't guess that's Tim if it weren't for the context.

3DS Tim, movie Tim and GB Tim are the holy trinity of Pokemon sleuthing.

This movie now is nearby to completed 24 days. Really so quickly and its nearby to complete 1 month also.

Then it is the time for the new movie which is Pokemon Movie 22 after one more month

And thank you

Saw the movie yesterday. For me it was okay. Not great nor terrible.

Though I have to say, it managed to have a way better ending than the game.

Though I have to say, it managed to have a way better ending than the game.
The game insisted on keeping a fairly predictable outcome untouched for the sake of a sequel, which has just been announced. I don't know how they'd handle adapting that into another movie.

The game ends with Pikachu pretending to have morphed back into a regular Pikachu, but it's just a joke. He and Tim are still looking for Harry.

There's another game coming? lol Had no idea

So that ending makes sense now. Never thought they'd go for a sequel

Are any of you Greninja fans upset or offended as a group of five Greninja received their antagonistic role in this movie?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom