• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Speculation Devon Corporation and New/Sea Mauville

I just noticed something potentially relevant. In Mauville City there is an elderly man on the roof who mentions how he worked for Sea Mayville, fired an incompetent employee, and continued to get mail for said employee quite a while after he was fired. He specifically mentions that the mail seemed to be from a relative, and speculates that said employee never returned home out of shame of being fired.

EDIT: Also, as for the claim that mental disease is unrelated to aging, I have some disappointing news for you regarding dementia. Read the 4th paragraph at the top of the page. Dementia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Re: Question: Pokemon Death

I have no idea why people keep saying that's a dead Skitty, especially if they've read the Sea Mauville Letters.

The man who picks up "Takao" is Cozmo Sr (he is called Raizoh by his nephew, and the documents in the facility refer to a Raizoh Cozmo--though the first name was always cut off). If you read the associated letters from Cozmo Jr. (aka Takao Cozmo), you learn of how the deplorable working conditions at Sea Mauville destroyed Cozmo Sr.'s marriage, leading to his divorce. Takao gave his father a "Hi Skitty" doll (play on Hello Kitty) to remember him by. Here are the associated letters leading up to and after the divorce (Letters 4 - 7):

Letter 4:
"Dear Daddy,
How are you? You aren’t working too hard, are you? You never come home anymore. I’m worried if you’re OK. Mommy goes out with her friends a lot. It seems like fun, so I guess she’s doing OK. The Shelgon that you gave me evolved the other day. But I liked it better when it was a Shelgon and it looked like a Meteorite. Salamence was kind of a letdown, so I asked a friend to trade it for his Solrock. I’m sorry, Daddy. I know it was a present, but I think Solrock is cooler. When it gets dark tonight, I’m going to look at the stars again. I’ll think of you when I do.
- Takao Cozmo”

Letter 5:
"Dear Daddy,
I was really, really happy to get to meet you the other day. It was so fun playing together again, and going to see the star show, too, even if it was just the two of us. It was sad that Mommy couldn’t go, and even more sad when you and Mommy fought that night. I’ll study hard, just like you told me, and I’ll be a good boy, so don’t fight. But let me keep watching the stars, even if I have to do all my homework, too. When I grow up, I want to be a professor and study the stars.
- Takao Cozmo”

Letter 6:
"Dear Daddy,
Thank you for writing to me. I’m doing really well here, so please don’t worry about me. I hope I’ll see you again someday. I dream about it all the time. I brought the telescope you bought me to our new house. Please don’t work too hard, Daddy. I hope you are OK. I will always, always love the stars, and I will always, always love you.
- Takao Cozmo
P.S. I’ll give you my Hi Skitty doll. Please take care of it for me.”

Letter 7:
"It looked like another letter, but it’s a photo. There’s a little boy holding a telescope, with a woman beside him, looking bored."

The Hi Skitty doll is the last thing that Cozmo Sr. had of his son. Who knows if they ever really saw each other again after that? But judging by the fact that he calls Hi Skitty by his son's name, its clear that he turned that doll into a surrogate for his son, especially since amongst all the gold, the Hi Skitty doll was what he was referring to when he told his nephew about the lost treasure in Sea Mauville.

There was no dead Skitty, it was a doll, and its much sadder than a creepy old man claiming a corpse.

OH THANK THE LORD ARCEUS! I only went into Sea Mauville for the Beedrillite, so I never read any letters. Imagine my surprise when I see a Skitty locked up in that room. I didn't think it was dead, though. But I did think GameFreak was highly stupid to imply that a Skitty had survived a long time in a locked storage room with nothing to eat but chunks of gold.

I'm so glad that it's a Hello Skitty doll. LOL That makes it so much sadder, though... :'( Poor Prof. Cozmo...

Yeah I don't think the Devon Co. can get away with the old method's of harnessing energy. I agree they found an alternative solution seeing how Cozmo states they were going to artificially create the same reaction of energy that happens in mega evolution, to create the warp hole.

The only way I can see them getting away with the old method is by using Steven for dirty politics. His son is the Champion(former) and we still don't fully know how much power the Champion has over Law.

It's stated very clearly in-game that they didn't know that the dimensional shifter would take it to another dimension--just that it would take it away from hitting Earth. The dimensional shifter is part of the warp-panel technology that the games use. It's only Zinnia that starts calling them out on this, and of course they wouldn't believe her. You have a 6-mile diameter meteoroid about to hit your planet, and some random girl tells you that maybe there's another Hoenn and maybe they don't have the technology to handle it. That's a lot of assumptions right there with no concrete evidence. Obviously we know its true, but from the perspective of the game characters, there's no reason to entertain such faulty reasoning that maybe they're about to destroy another planet when definitely the current one is in danger. Zinnia doesn't even propose any alternative to sway them other than condescendingly calling Steven and the scientists uncreative and we all know how her plan almost failed. I don't know, Zinnia, maybe it would have been smart to have a contingency plan.

Yeah, that to me is the kicker right there -- unless the main character warped through like 4-5 different realities' Aqua Hideouts, the technology that maybe could warp the meteor into a different reality is mostly used to warp from place to place within the same reality. The idea that it would leave some other group of people / sentient beings vulnerable to attack is odd.

Perhaps I've watched too many Neil DeGrasse Tyson recordings on youtube but I feel like in terms of exposing lots of people to danger, trying to actually blow up the dang meteoroid seems like the worst idea -- do it wrong and you get giant chunks falling to earth anyway and causing lots of damage just like the end of Armageddon. Oops. So the whole time I'm going through DE and thinking "Wait, you're seriously going to do that rather than deflect it? That's crazy!" I guess the point is Rayquaza is even more powerful than a series of carefully planted nuclear devices? Pokemon, man. They're scary.

Even stranger, though, is that when going back to the top floor of the space museum the scientist there says that on further analysis they don't actually think Deoxys attached to the asteroid to destroy Hoenn despite intentionally directing the asteroid toward it, but that's probably getting a bit outside the scope of the topic.

So, who is the "Cap'n Sal__" that won the slogan contest and got a Rhyperior with a Rugged Helmet?

Is that supposed to be someone important, because I'm drawing a blank.

So, who is the "Cap'n Sal__" that won the slogan contest and got a Rhyperior with a Rugged Helmet?

Is that supposed to be someone important, because I'm drawing a blank.

Probably Captain Salty, who you can find on the second floor of Stern's shipyard.

Yeah I don't think the Devon Co. can get away with the old method's of harnessing energy. I agree they found an alternative solution seeing how Cozmo states they were going to artificially create the same reaction of energy that happens in mega evolution, to create the warp hole.

The only way I can see them getting away with the old method is by using Steven for dirty politics. His son is the Champion(former) and we still don't fully know how much power the Champion has over Law.

So you're saying Steven had done all the clean up and got the best lawyers to protect the corporation by using his title?

Devon could do all that without Steven being the champion. They're the biggest corporation in Hoenn and it's very likely Hoenn's economy would collapse if they got in financial/political trouble and nobody's going to want that.

So you're saying Steven had done all the clean up and got the best lawyers to protect the corporation by using his title?

Devon could do all that without Steven being the champion. They're the biggest corporation in Hoenn and it's very likely Hoenn's economy would collapse if they got in financial/political trouble and nobody's going to want that.

I was thinking more along the lines of him being a very prominent and influential figure in Hoenn, therefore some officials would ignore their illicit actions because he bears the Stone name. There's so much we don't know about Hoenn's economic or political field(if there even is one/stable at that), for all we know present Hoenn could be so dependent on Devon that they allow the company to do whatever they want.
Regardless my opinion lies with Devon developing a new way of harnessing energy.

From what I can see, there's a lot of potential digging for back story about Devon because of all the possible benefits (or exploitation) from monopolizing Hoenn's economy.

I really hope we get more information in the future about the regions and more lore.

I disliked the new approach for Devon and Mauville enterprises in ASOR. In Gen. III I liked how Devon tried to improve daily lives but in ASOR, using Infinite Energy is just plain wrong! It like we had the naive experience first and then they tried to come up with more adult issues but without being entirely clear.
Where's the police/international police when we need it!? Where's N?

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom