• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh Dexit and the DLC

@Ace Trainer D That would be very odd, as again, they run on a big part of the same code and structures because they're same-gen. Backwards compatibility has always been a thing in same-generation games.
Remember ORAS Megas not being usable in battles with XY users?

I think they loved Dexit and anything else was PR talk.
They sat down with a lot of people from the Pokémon Company, Nintendo, etc.

Of course they know they're cutting people's favourites, which sucks, as the 'Gotta Catch Them all!'-motto is holy for the franchise.

They sat down with a lot of people from the Pokémon Company, Nintendo, etc.

Of course they know they're cutting people's favourites, which sucks, as the 'Gotta Catch Them all!'-motto is holy for the franchise.
I don't think that motto is holy for the franchise anymore.

Only 63 Gen 5-7 Pokémon are missing. That's too few to leave out entirely.

If all Gen 1-3 Pokémon are added, obviously.

@Ace Trainer D That would be very odd, as again, they run on a big part of the same code and structures because they're same-gen. Backwards compatibility has always been a thing in same-generation games.
Except it might not be a thing anymore as they will have two completely different sets of available Pokemon. And besides, the "generation" term is not official and purely fan made.

Except it might not be a thing anymore as they will have two completely different sets of available Pokemon. And besides, the "generation" term is not official and purely fan made.
The term 'generation' has been picked up by the Pokémon company a few times and they definitely handle their games that way, even if the term for it is more in use among the fanbase.

You don't seem to grasp the coding aspect or the backwards compatibility of the past. Fine. Pokémon not being able to use it in 2021 would be shameful. All the legendaries of past generations are in, anyway. Why not follow it up with the rest.

The term 'generation' has been picked up by the Pokémon company a few times and they definitely handle their games that way, even if the term for it is more in use among the fanbase.

You don't seem to grasp the coding aspect or the backwards compatibility of the past. Fine. Pokémon not being able to use it in 2021 would be shameful. All the legendaries of past generations are in, anyway. Why not follow it up with the rest.
Their methodologies might change, and the 2021 games might not even have the same coding as Sword and Shield.

Their methodologies might change, and the 2021 games might not even have the same coding as Sword and Shield.
We agree to disagree then. I don't see a point in discussing this further. I'll keep providing your comments with a second opinion, though.

I'm curious who'll be right come november 2021.

It forces us to experiment with using Pokemon we otherwise maybe wouldn't use.
It forces you to experiment with using Pokémon you wouldn't otherwise use. I, for one, almost always use Pokémon I haven't used before, which is one of the reasons why I don't like this perspective because it assumes every Pokémon player doesn't want to try new things. The other main reason is that it assumes that there is a right and wrong way of playing Pokémon, lambasts players who play the "wrong" way, and celebrates the removal of player choice.

It forces you to experiment with using Pokémon you wouldn't otherwise use. I, for one, almost always use Pokémon I haven't used before, which is one of the reasons why I don't like this perspective because it assumes every Pokémon player doesn't want to try new things.
It certainly is a benefit to Dexit.

It forces you to experiment with using Pokémon you wouldn't otherwise use. I, for one, almost always use Pokémon I haven't used before, which is one of the reasons why I don't like this perspective because it assumes every Pokémon player doesn't want to try new things.
Are you implying that I am the only Pokemon fan who sticks to his 6 favorites, when possible?

I assure you there is millions like me.

Once the modeling and animation work is done, it really shouldn't be that big of an issue to patch the remaining Pokémon into SwSh, and if DP remakes still use the Gen 8 codebase, then it definitely shouldn't be a problem to get the existing models from SwSh into the DP remakes. It's not like it's a cartridge space issue that drove them to implement Dexit.

It forces us to experiment with using Pokemon we otherwise maybe wouldn't use.

This is a pretty facile argument.

Anecdotally speaking, having every Pokémon supported in the code has never gotten in the way of me using new Pokémon, because I'm usually most excited to try those ones out when a new generation begins. I never needed Game Freak to remove internal support for Pokémon that I liked in order for me to want to try new ones.

But more to the point, "which Pokémon you can choose from" is kind of a separate issue from transferring anyway, because transferring doesn't typically become available until after you beat the game (or until Bank launched/updated with Gen 7 support). So you would have already been limited to whatever species were native to that region's Pokédex. And it's not as if Galar's Pokédex is made up exclusively of unloved shitmons; it includes many popular Pokémon that people have certainly used before. (Gardevoir, Arcanine, Lucario, the Eeveelutions...)

But still, there are too many Pokemon, and that number is only going to get bigger. And that's not counting all the forms. Overall, Dexit is a good thing for the series, and I expect the next games to have their own set of Pokemon available to the player.

But still, there are too many Pokemon, and that number is only going to get bigger. And that's not counting all the forms. Overall, Dexit is a good thing for the series, and I expect the next games to have their own set of Pokemon available to the player.
Or they go out of their way to try and look for new ways to implement the future-proof models, like with patches and DLC's. Increasing the longevity and feeling of freshness of a generation before the next one launches with a smaller dex to start the whole cycle from scratch.

There haven't been that many new Pokémon the last few generations, either. Technology changes, as well.

Or they go out of their way to try and look for new ways to implement the future-proof models, like with patches and DLC's. Increasing the longevity and feeling of freshness of a generation before the next one launches with a smaller dex to start the whole cycle from scratch.

There haven't been that many new Pokémon the last few generations, either. Technology changes, as well.
I don't expect that approach. It's far too optimistic.

This is a pretty facile argument.
It is not an argument. It's literally a fact for me (it does help me use newer mons).
I never needed Game Freak to remove internal support for Pokémon that I liked in order to want to try new ones
Good for you. I am different.
But more to the point, "which Pokémon you can choose from" is kind of a separate issue from transferring anyway, because transferring doesn't typically become available until after you beat the game (or until Bank launched/updated with Gen 7 support). So you would have already been limited to whatever species were native to that region's Pokédex. And it's not as if Galar's Pokédex is made up exclusively of unloved shitmons; it includes many popular Pokémon that people have certainly used before. (Gardevoir, Arcanine, Lucario, the Eeveelutions...)
This is true but I would still switch to my favorites usually ASAP.

It certainly is a benefit to Dexit.
There is nothing inherently wrong with wanting to play with your favorites. Why should those types of players be punished for playing the games how they want to just because others are somehow incapable of picking new Pokémon to play with? Plus, it's not like the Pokémon included in gen 8 are all obscure and unused--otherwise Charizard would have been the first up on the chopping block.

I'm fine if you support Dexit or see it as a positive, but celebrating the removal of player choice as one of those positives just seems silly to me.
Are you implying that I am the only Pokemon fan who sticks to his 6 favorites, when possible?

I assure you there is millions like me.
No, but what I am saying is that you shouldn't speak for the all of the fandom. Sorry if I sounded a bit testy there, I didn't mean it like that.

No, but what I am saying is that you shouldn't speak for the all of the fandom. Sorry if I sounded a bit testy there, I didn't mean it like that.
I wasn't speaking for all of the fandom. Just for a part of it to which I belong.

And no problem! :)

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom