• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Diancie, Shiny Gengar event distributions announced for US: Will be available via ser

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Diancie, Shiny Gengar event distributions announced for US: Will be available via

How I wish it will be distributed through WIFI in case you have a serial code. We're dying to get Diancie here in South East Asia!!

Re: Diancie, Shiny Gengar event distributions announced for US: Will be available via

Serial Codes, huh...?

Guess I'm gonna have to act fast for Diancie then. The Shiny Gengar DOES look impressive as well.

I'll definitely get these two. I do share other people's disdain for the serial codes, though. It feels like we're taking a step back when (mystery gift) WiFi is a more immediate and convenient form of access.

My guess for the transition to serial codes is that it's easier/cheaper to just give customers a card with a code that they can put in themselves than to set up the machine that customers can connect to and get the distribution. Of course it sucks that distributors can run out of codes, but businesses like things that are simple and make them keep their money so I can't say I'm surprised.

And of course these could've been Wi-Fi events, but it seems like Nintendo of America and GameStop have a close business relationship so it makes sense for NoA to sweeten the deal by making GameStop the exclusive place for distributions. Although it makes me wonder why they don't create a close relationship with Best Buy and have events distributed through Best Buy Nintendo Zones... but I digress.

Anyway, one of the GameStop stores near my house has been really good with Pokémon distributions, so my guess is that it'll have these codes--can't wait to get these goodies!

I still find it highly stupid that despite the 3DS having both an eShop and Wifi capabilities, they still make you drive to a store to get pokemon distributions.

If they have to continue the trend of limited time distributions (this needs to stop too. Just put them on the eShop as DLC that won't just go away after a month), just put them all through Wifi so you can do it from home [or offer both]

Bleeeeh, I hate serial code distributions. Wish they'd just do wifi
i hate serial code distributions too, since Canada doesn't get them!

seriously, this is so bogus!! we got most of the cartridge-based in-store distributions from Platinum-B2W2 from EB Games (which is owned by GameStop) and from TRU, and of course all of the wi-fi events. Now they pull this crap and we don't get any events anymore. this is so backwards!! what is this, 2006? it's so unfair to people in other countries too who don't ever get in-store stuff and wi-fi is their only chance.

everyone has their one thing that they complain about a lot, i guess this is mine XD

They can't even include the codes as game promotions. It makes absolutely no sense.

Could they just include the serial code in a copy of ORAS? Why not actually use these codes as incentives to sell games by including them in early releases (not pre-orders) of ORAS?

I have been fortunate enough to have EB Games that participate in in-store distributions, but I draw the line at asking for a serial code. We still need Wi-fi to get Diancie anyway. Why not make us video tape ourselves do 100 push ups and send the video by snail mail to TPCI's Japanese HQ before they'll send us the serial codes?

Same here on both fronts. Gives me another reason to drop in. And, like you, Gamestop is becoming an endangered species around me. I had two Gamestops within a 25 mile range of home, but the one in the mall was recently turned into a small candy shop. Seriously, though, a Wi-Fi distribution would've been much easier.

If GameStops are becoming an endangered species, its because their business model is crap (and so is the atmosphere there in general, both literally and figuratively). Their business shouldn't stay afloat because they somehow get exclusive rights to Pokemon events that should be distributed through Wi-fi.

I have to wonder why gamestop started using serial codes as opposed to using mystery gift in the actual store. At least the closest gamestop to my house is in a relatively rural & out of the way location so the possibility of them running out of codes is relatively small.

$10 says it was because they got tired of people camping out in the corner of tiny stores for the couple minutes it takes to download the events.

How exactly does a serial code work? Like, where do you go on the game to put the code in?

*Sigh* another serial code event.

They can't even include the codes as game promotions. It makes absolutely no sense.

Could they just include the serial code in a copy of ORAS? Why not actually use these codes as incentives to sell games by including them in early releases (not pre-orders) of ORAS?

We already have the shiny Beldum, do we really need another pre-order event?

How exactly does a serial code work? Like, where do you go on the game to put the code in?

From the game's Start screen, instead of clicking "Continue", click "Mystery Gift". Then click "Receive Gift", then "Get with Code" and then enter in the code. Note that you need to be connected to the internet to use it.

I guess I'll never understand what Nintendo gains from having you go to a store just to get an event Pokemon, rather than doing it over Wi-Fi.

I guess I'll never understand what Nintendo gains from having you go to a store just to get an event Pokemon, rather than doing it over Wi-Fi.

Preorders, most likely.

I did specifically say "not preorders". Simply include the code in the boxes along with all those other pamphlets. They've distributed Global Link codes before, like HA Chimchar for games that were released later.

And it would have been much better to give us Diancie rather than Shiny Beldum since the latter is something you can still get in your games, while the former is completely locked out for anyone who can't get the code.

I did specifically say "not preorders". Simply include the code in the boxes along with all those other pamphlets. They've distributed Global Link codes before, like HA Chimchar for games that were released later.

And it would have been much better to give us Diancie rather than Shiny Beldum since the latter is something you can still get in your games, while the former is completely locked out for anyone who can't get the code.

I think forcing you to buy the game for 2 events is overkill, one is fine. And they especially should not do that with a newly released event Pokemon like Diancie, then it basically becomes a punishment for not buying the game at launch. It was bad enough when they did that with Genesect in BW2.

I think forcing you to buy the game for 2 events is overkill, one is fine.

Who's talking about two events? I'm saying they should have given Diancie instead of Shiny Beldum. And they're already "forcing" you to buy the game to get Mega Diancie so that's a moot point.

And they especially should not do that with a newly released event Pokemon like Diancie, then it basically becomes a punishment for not buying the game at launch. It was bad enough when they did that with Genesect in BW2.
They did that with Rotom in Platinum, and Victini in BW. It's not anything new, and those events lasted longer than these Game Stop ones. For reference, the Liberty Pass and Genesect lasted a month, this GS event lasts for two weeks. The majority of a game's sales are made within the first few weeks of launch, and the majority of people plan to get the games within that time period in the first place (remember the massive XY pre-orders).

And this isn't even taking into consideration that with these early-release wifi events and the duration of the event itself, people can literally restart and get multiple Pokemon for redistribution. We can't do the same thing with codes.

Game Stop events are both temporally and spatially limited. You say its unfair to punish people who don't get the game early? How do those numbers compare to entire countries that don't have stores that service them with events? Even places that have Game Stops aren't guaranteed to carry the events, and with serial codes, those that do can run out (as evidenced by the comments in this thread). Now of course, I suggested including the serial codes with ORAS--but the amount of people planning to pick up ORAS far outnumber the amount of people who can and will access these Game Stop events.

The only advantage of having in-store events were for players who didn't have Wi-fi. Serial codes defeat that purpose since you need wi-fi to get the Pokemon anyway.

So tell me, why are you so adamantly defending this practice? The sooner Game Stops go out of business, the better.

Preorders, most likely.

In stark defiance of reality, showing that you don't need cheap tactics to generate massive pre-orders.

And I'm pretty sure pre-orders benefit the stores, not Nintendo/Game Freak since they've locked you into buying the games from them. Nintendo and Game Freak are getting the money regardless of which store you bought them. There's absolutely nothing Nintendo, TPCI, and Game Freak gain from this awful practice except disgruntled fans. If this was about pushing games, then what I suggested would benefit Nintendo even more.

I'm not really sure what deal Game Stop struck with Nintendo but its about time they end their contract. Game Stops themselves aren't even that Nintendo-friendly. I've seen more PS4 and Xbox stations to play on at (bigger) EB Games (Game Stop's counterpart in Canada and regularly held the same events), rarely any WiiU's. They also relegate Nintendo games into a corner and Xbox games get prominent placements in the stores. Other stores like Best Buy have WiiU consoles for people to try, along with all the other major consoles. Game Stop's bias against Nintendo products is clear, and Nintendo needs to stop helping their business with their events.

Last edited:

And for people upset that they switched to codes instead of downloading via DS, the cartridges that had all the event pokemon on them were being stolen by employees and sold for hundreds of dollars on Ebay.

What's to stop people from doing the same with the serial codes?

The distribution cartridges were entire DS systems with specially made distribution cartridges. It is much easier and cheaper to distribute pieces of cardboard to stores, and it makes coordinating when each country will have which event easier too (since they don't have to wait for another country to finish using the distribution systems, then work out how many are needed to replace the missing ones).

Local wireless distributions in stores (other than Pokemon Centers) aren't likely to occur this generation. They had the trial run for serial codes of Magmar/Electabuzz (in Europe and a few other places) and Heracronite/Pinsirite (in the United States, although all the other countries with American region games will be getting that code via email anyway). Local wireless is something TPCi is clearly trying to keep to things where they have significant control over it, and won't need too many (e.g. Pokemon Center stores, National Championships, Pokémon Day events in Europe).

I think the way it was done in GAME in the UK is the likely next step: Nintendo Zone, or serial codes at stores without.

Last edited:

Who's talking about two events? I'm saying they should have given Diancie instead of Shiny Beldum. And they're already "forcing" you to buy the game to get Mega Diancie so that's a moot point.

Even if you're not getting ORAS, you still get the Diancie though. Which is better than not having Diancie at all.

They did that with Rotom in Platinum, and Victini in BW.

Those Pokemon were obtainable later though. Rotom's forms were added into HGSS, and Victini got another event when the 14th movie came out. But there was no alternative to the Genesect event, if you didn't buy BW2 in the first month, you were out of luck, there was no further event after that for BW2 and BW1 didn't get one at all. That's pretty strict for a newly released event Pokemon, which is usually distributed to all games within that generation.

The majority of a game's sales are made within the first few weeks of launch, and the majority of people plan to get the games within that time period in the first place (remember the massive XY pre-orders).

It's still not very fair to punish people for not jumping on the newest game, they should've at least waited until Christmas to pull this kind of stunt, or just distribute it to BW1. Using a newly released event Pokemon as a preorder bonus is pretty cheap.

And this isn't even taking into consideration that with these early-release wifi events and the duration of the event itself, people can literally restart and get multiple Pokemon for redistribution. We can't do the same thing with codes.

Really? You're going to complain about not being able to exploit the system anymore? What's next, are you going to complain about not being able to use your WonderTomb anymore?

So tell me, why are you so adamantly defending this practice? The sooner Game Stops go out of business, the better.

I never said it was a good idea, just that there are worse scenarios.

Even if you're not getting ORAS, you still get the Diancie though. Which is better than not having Diancie at all.
Except one guarantees Diancie, the other guarantees Diancie for people who get Game Stop events. What part of that don't you get?

Those Pokemon were obtainable later though. Rotom's forms were added into HGSS, and Victini got another event when the 14th movie came out. But there was no alternative to the Genesect event, if you didn't buy BW2 in the first month, you were out of luck, there was no further event after that for BW2 and BW1 didn't get one at all. That's pretty strict for a newly released event Pokemon, which is usually distributed to all games within that generation.
And you know there's no alternate to Diancie? And even if there is, the amount of people who could get a Diancie is still much less with the Game Stop scenario so again, what are you trying to prove here?

It's still not very fair to punish people for not jumping on the newest game, they should've at least waited until Christmas to pull this kind of stunt, or just distribute it to BW1. Using a newly released event Pokemon as a preorder bonus is pretty cheap.

1) Okay, it's not very fair for people who didn't buy the games first. But no one thought it was fair to include serial codes in games long after everyone bought it already either. And a "limited release" with serial codes doesn't mean it's only out for one month. They released FrLg with a wireless adapter for a limited time and that went on for a while. Including the serial codes in the games could easily last until Christmas.

2) "Should've waited until Christmas"? Show me the rule for that. Who are you to dictate that things should be purchased during a holiday season that not everyone celebrates?

3) Again with the pre-order bonuses. I don't know why responding to you always involves repeating the same points, but read this one last time. I DID NOT SAY PRE-ORDERS. I SPECIFICALLY SAID NOT PRE-ORDERS. I've been saying (aside from the obvious wifi option) that they should include the serial codes in the games. You know, like how the Pokewalker wasn't a "pre-order bonus". Is that clear enough, or are you going to say pre-order again?

Really? You're going to complain about not being able to exploit the system anymore? What's next, are you going to complain about not being able to use your WonderTomb anymore?
If that's how you want to read to it, but the scenario I gave was about early adopters being able to get multiple of these legendaries to trade to people who didn't have them. Some people give them out for cheap prices, others give them out for an arm and a leg--but at least you're able to get them if you missed this brief window of opportunity. Serial code distributions limit the amount of tradeable Pokemon. It's no surprise that Iron Fist Infernape wasn't widely traded until Gen VI where it was made breedable.

But yeah sure, miss the point and go "EXPLOITING THE SYSTEM!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I never said it was a good idea, just that there are worse scenarios.
And I'm saying there are better scenarios, and with each better scenario, you come back to say "but what about this small population? Shouldn't they be catered to over a much larger one?". There will always be someone worse off, but I'm saying you can greatly decrease that amount. And I never put in your mouth that you said it was a good idea--I questioned your defending of this practice. "It could be worse" is hardly a reason to defend something when it should be better.

I realize this is the reality of the situation, but you're the one accepting and defending it by saying it could be worse. I'm accepting its the reality and saying it could be better and giving actual ways it could be better. You actually haven't given a scenario where it was unequivocally worse. All you've done is say that if they implement my idea (which you consistently misconstrue as a pre-order) is that it would inconvenience a different population. Yes, it would. But like I've said, my idea would service a much larger one. I've even pointed out how the "inconvenienced population" in your scenario can obtain Diancie despite not being early adopters through people who stockpiled legendaries, but you completely missed the point and dismissed that as exploiting the system. Sure, the fans who aren't anywhere near a Game Stop can also trade with those who get Diancie, but these Diancie would be severely limited in quantity.

And lastly, you've only explained how my idea wasn't 100% perfect. You haven't given a scenario that was worse than the current one (as you so claim to have)--because the only scenario worse is not having the event. Face it, this is the worst case scenario next to that. This is an in-store event that needs wifi. This means the only in-store benefit where gamers without wifi can get the event is lost. They've locked this to players who live close enough to a participating Game Stop who have access to a wireless connection.

Last edited:

Can I complain about Soul Dew being banned in Battle Facilities?

What? Fair game.

And lastly, you've only explained how my idea wasn't 100% perfect. You haven't given a scenario that was worse than the current one (as you so claim to have)--because the only scenario worse is not having the event. Face it, this is the worst case scenario next to that. This is an in-store event that needs wifi. This means the only in-store benefit where gamers without wifi can get the event is lost. They've locked this to players who live close enough to a participating Game Stop who have access to a wireless connection.

I dunno, going by how ass-backwards the steps being taken in this event are, previous reports/complaints made by the dealings with GS employees when it came to claiming the last bunch of serial codes and moreover how quickly those codes are gonna go, NOT having the event at all doesn't feel like a worse case scenario at all. Since that's what's it's gonna feel like for a lot of people.

They're gonna be all like" Okay, and what was the point in all of this?!"

Just saying. You already went through the better options. The options that leave a lot of us are scratching our heads and wondering who in the hell thought what they're presently doing was a good idea like at all?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom