• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did "To be a Pokemon Master" ripped off Steven Universe Future?

Nicolas721

Reaction score
Hi guys. The answer to the above question is "No", but when I began thinking about it I found a lot of funny and interesting coincidences between the two mini-series that I want to share with you. I hope you like it!

SPOILERS FOR BOTH MINISERIES BELOW

Both miniseries were marketed as the end of their respective shows, and focus on the protagonist (which is a black-haired male) deciding what to do next after clearing up some of his previous goals in life. Both have very limited duration compared to the series' regular seasons, and unlike those seasons which had a vibrant cast of characters, the miniseries focuses mostly on the protagonist and their future. Both ended in the last week of March, with SUF ending March 27, 2020 and ATPM ending on March 24, 2023.

• The first episode is very laid-back and focuses on presenting the new status quo of the show, but introduces a very important plot element after a fight in a forest that will come back later.
  • The second episode focuses partially on a female side-character and what she's been up to, and features a crab-like character.
  • The second-to-last episode features a male lizard-like monster that screams and could be considered the climax of the series.
  • The last episode features the protagonist relaxing back in his home, stumbling upon some of his allies and starting a trip after deciding they want to keep living every day.
Both series feature an episode in which:
  • A witch-inspired character, a weird child and an energetic character that appears to be talking to the audience are featured. This is considered the craziest episode of each miniseries.
  • A snowy climate sets up a situation where the viewer can identify the differences between how things were at the start of the series and how they are now.
  • A group of blue characters with water powers do questionable stuff due to the prior intervention of some villains, and a natural disaster is featured.
  • A couple is separated and the hero makes up his feelings by looking at the sky.
  • The hero and a character with a high-pitched voice who uses blue and whom he has a great bond with visit a sea cave to save someone else, and shells are featured. The character in trouble goes through a transformation.
  • A female health professional has a big role.
  • The Quirky miniboss Squad enemies of the protagonist attack him with everything they have. The hero is saved by someone else and the villains are send blasting off. Alsp, a character with contrasting colors pretends to be on the heroes' side but it's all part of the plan. The episode is very relaxed but becomes slightly melodramatic at the end.
Did I miss something? Which series would you prefer between ATBPM and Steven Universe Future? Tell me.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 9 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom