• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did Pokémon change your life?

Yes, Pokemon changed my life. It started when I got a Torchic for Christmas, and BOOM! Off I was, crazy for Pokemon.

Pokèmon was the first thing of its kind I had ever encountered. It came during an important time in my young life of friends leaving and my feeling hints of romance.

Kanto, Johto, and the Pokèmon associated with them are mostly all I feel this attachment to, almost everything about Hoenn and Sinnoh is like Power Rangers Zeo onward or Yugioh GX/5Ds to me. I don't actually disclude all of them though, Gardevoir/Gallade and Dawn have a place in my mind.

I've become video game obsessed, and it's helped me discover plots for my books. In fact, it made me want to write books.

Yes... more speficially Shipping did, ironically.

Because I got into Advanceshipping, I joined an Advanceshipping forum and met a fellow ASer, an he likewise would read my AS fics, reviewing them at times. Eventually, we developed a liking for each other after talking back and forth in one of the threads at said forum, then developed and online relationship, and long story short, he just was over here visiting me on Holiday (he is from England and I'm in the States d:), annnnd it ended with me being proposed to, bended knee and ring and all.

Sooo yeah, I'd say Pokemon has changed my life. xD

Yesss, it has.

My story is pretty similar to cascade88's. I met my boyfriend here. He's from England, I'm from the States, and we're meeting IRL next year. We also plan on getting engaged. All because we both joined a Pokemon forum--and within four days of each other, no less.

So has Pokemon changed my life? Tremendously.

You're damn right Pokémon has changed my life--when my childhood best friend moved away at age 11, Pokémon got me through the sadness. And now, in my adult life, I've met the girl I want to marry right here on this very Pokémon forum.

I owe Pokémon a lot.

It did. If it wasn't for Bulbagarden and SOVA, I wouldn't have met the best girl in the world who I love very much. <3333 And of course it got me a bunch of other super awesome friends too. It's funny because I took a break from Pokémon for the longest time and I came back to it and shortly after I joined here. Never thought something like Pokémon would bring me to some of the most awesome people ever. :D

These are all such amazingly sweet stories! It's positively inspiring! Best of luck to you all!

As for me, the Pokemon games were the first games that I poured hundreds of hours of my time into. I just fell in love with the franchise, as I did with Sailor Moon, The Legend of Zelda and Harvest Moon/Rune Factory. So I guess you could say that if it wasn't Pokemon it would be something else, but I'm really glad it was :p

I learned to draw because of Pokemon. I learned HTML so I could make a Team Rocket fan site. I took a break from Pokemon for a few years, and I hardly drew at all. The next time, I actually started posting my art on the internet. I had always been against doing anything like that, or posting on forums or communities before, but I have met great people on the internet because of Pokemon. I learned to write somewhat decently, and am hopefully getting better, because of Pokemon. I feel like I've accomplished more, and been more creative, in my two years of really being "in the fandom" than the five years I went without it.

...Yeah, I think Pokemon has changed my life.

Pokemon has had some impact on my life, but not as big as some of the posts here. It, along with Yoshi's Island, introduced me to the crafty little thing known as video games, and it became a major part of my young childhood. I also learned new vocabulary words at a young age (I remember shocking my first grade teacher when I gave here a clear definition of the word "absorb". After seeing Zubats use it so much, I had a pretty good idea of what it meant.)

I think it did. Pokemon is probably why I analyze things differently for possible answers now.
EDIT: !00th post! woo!

You damn betcha it did.
Pokemon is pretty much about 60 percent of my life, maybe more.

You could say my life's obsession has affected me, yes. It actually got me back into being interested in art at a time when I was starting to grow very bored with it. (At the age of 10, no less...)
And it's still affecting my art style, as seen by my homemade avatar.

of course it did.... if i dind't like pokemon i :
-didn't meet u guys!!!!!!!And that's important.....
-i would call nerd, baby... to my best friend.....
-i would continue to fell that empty spot inside me!!
so that's how pokemon changed my life!

Yes, Pokemon has definitely changed my life.

With the games, I was very addicted to Yellow version when it first came out, and it was my first Pokemon game (then I played Red and Blue). Since then, I've bought and played all of the Pokemon games.

As for the anime, I have a special place in my heart for the anime. I love watching the anime so much (especially the 4Kids dub). In fact, the moment I started watching Pokemon, I fell in love with the show and its characters.

But it wasn't until later, when I discovered that the anime was based on the games. Because of this discovery, I knew then what I wanted to do for my career...I wanted to become a game designer.

So, as soon as I graduated high school in 2005, I enrolled into an art school (hoping to get into game design). However, I didn't get into the game design program, because my drawings weren't good enough. So they put me in graphic design instead. XP But that didn't really matter to me, because I still enjoyed all of my classes. And I made a lot friends too! I was in my school's anime club, and that's where I met most of my friends, actually (in fact, one of my best friends from college is a member of this forum).

And then, fast forward to December 2008 - that's the month when I met my best friend from Bulbagarden. She's an online friend whom I had known for about two years (or maybe three years?). Then, in 2008, we became really close friends and then one day, I got to meet her in real-life! That was so awesome! I'll never forget it!! ^_^

Also, thanks to my best friend, back in February of this year, I was able to travel to New York City for the first time! And my friend and I both went to New York Comic Con together! NYCC was amazing!! It was the BEST convention I've ever attended! And I had the most fun there that I've ever had! <3333

So anyway, yes, Pokemon has definitely changed my life. I owe a lot to Pokemon. If it wasn't for this awesome franchise, I wouldn't have so many wonderful and special friends here. I love all of my friends from Bulbagarden! Every single one of my friends is amazing, because they make me so happy! ^____^

Last edited:
I would have to say no. For me, it’s a hobby that I get to enjoy during my free time.

Pokémon is just one of many franchises that I’m into.

Other than buying games and watching it, I'd say no.

There are plenty of other games and TV shows I like, and Pokemon would just be one less franchise I follow. In fact, I'd have a hell of a lot more time to do other things if it weren't for this franchise.

This is very true for me, but the only difference is that I've stopped caring about other things! Pokemon has filled a very very large void in my life, and I'm always learning something new about it (Whether it's gaming or writing!) and I just can't imagine life without it.

Well, it has made me slightly more insane than I already was... and has aged my mind terribly as well, when it concerns those "young whippersnappers".
So, only a little.

A little bit, since I was mostly playing Super Mario Brothers and watching the old nicktoons like Rugrats

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom