• 4chan is an 18+ website, and as such we do not want to expose our underage users to that site.

You may post screen shots and text from 4chan, but direct linking to the site or its archival sites is not allowed.

Thanks.

• All content from the former Roleplaying Games forum has been merged into the Writers' Workshop forum. You can find more information in this thread.

We hope to see you roleplaying away soon!
  • Regarding Isle of Armor/Crown Tundra DLC Spoilers

For users browsing this forum, be aware that you may stumble upon spoilers! Threads that have spoilered information will be tagged as such, but still do take caution.
    Spoiler Embargo will be in place one month from DLC release. This means it will lift on July 17th, 2020.

• IMPORTANT! Outside The Box as well as Entertainment Inc are going through a restructure Friday, July 3rd, 2020! Look here for more information
  • Hey everyone! The Writer's Workshop is hosting an exciting event, Trainers of Fanfiction! It's a community event focused around your characters!

did you buy both

Reaction score
have you got both of the games, I got sword today

Geek of the Games
Reaction score
Originally, I was just buying Sword upon release (which I did), as that's all I could afford at the time. I had plans to buy Shield later on, around the holidays, when I got my Christmas money. However, my relative, the same one who gave me my Switch Lite, gave me Shield as well, so I ultimately ended up with both.

PinkIceTales!
Reaction score
I purchased both, yes.

But I bought sword for my brother, so I don't technically own both. Now if only he'd get off his Smash Bros. butt and play it. He's excited for it after all. >->

Laid to Wake
Reaction score
Not this time. My wife and I always pick which version we each want, and while in previous generations I'd have financed the purchase of both, the games are a little more expensive now, so I'm only paying for my version.

(That said, I did snatch up Let's Go, Eevee! for her when I saw it running for $40 on Amazon a while back, so the benefits of the new approach haven't quite kicked in yet, but that was my decision.)

The Power of Thunder
Reaction score
I usually always buy both versions, but after an expensive end to last year and now hearing about the expansions for both, I'll probably wait until Fall to purchase Shield as well and play through that with both expansions active hopefully.

Partially off topic but finding out the price of Home has also thrown me a bit... 15 is a bit steep, 10 would be perfect, and 5 is unrealistic. But they chose 15... eh. I often forget about the £20 I spent on Switch Online last year as it's a decent price for the entire year, but the service seriously needs to up its game for me to make that payment again...

Reaction score
While I don't have a Switch yet, I'll do like with past versions and won't buy the two versions. There's not enough differences to justify buying the same game twice for me, and trading for version exclusives and the other starters can be done with the free version of Home.

EDIT: I also don't have anyone in my house to play with, either.

A fierier, spikier Drednaw
Reaction score
I only bought Sword since the Switch's multi-profile system makes getting two versions unnecessary in my opinion because I can have several save files for free.

Ghost maniac
Reaction score
I bought Shield for myself, but then got Sword as a gift. It's no use since I only have one switch but whatever

Now with Mega Evolution
Reaction score
I think that's the reason.
Well if that’s the reason then:
a) I believe you can trade between versions for free using Home, although I guess it isn’t out yet.
b) Can’t you just...play both on the same Switch? Like why is this any different than the past 7 generations.

Reaction score
Well if that’s the reason then:
a) I believe you can trade between versions for free using Home, although I guess it isn’t out yet.
b) Can’t you just...play both on the same Switch? Like why is this any different than the past 7 generations.
a) Well, Home isn't out yet, so I guess there's no point for them to get both yet.
b) Well, most people get both so that they can trade with themselves. If it's to have, say, a normal file and a challenge file then I agree with you.

ᴅʀɪꜰᴛɪɴɢ ᴛʜʀᴏᴜɢʜ ᴀ ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀʏ
Reaction score
nah. i considered it, but in reality my Sword version (i got Shield) would just sit pretty much unused, so it'd be a waste if i got it.

Cute bunny baby
Reaction score
Didn't have to. I got Shield and Team Gaara got Sword, so we can both play each one.

formerly techitisJ
Reaction score
Yes, though I still haven't finished Shield just because I'm busy, and most of my video game time is spent on Animal Crossing because I'm hype for New Horizons.

I do think this might be the last time I pick up both copies though. With multiple profiles, I can now play the game again without having to have the other version.

Just call me EC!
Reaction score
I was going to buy both, but then I decided against it and just got Shield, and beat it three times, once with each starter.

Reaction score
Got some friends to trade with, and the people on some Discord-servers are quite willing to trade, as well. So, nah, I don't need a second version at the moment.

Getting the version-exclusive legendaries is the only drawback (Zacian and probably a new Regi).