• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

SwSh did you buy both

Originally, I was just buying Sword upon release (which I did), as that's all I could afford at the time. I had plans to buy Shield later on, around the holidays, when I got my Christmas money. However, my relative, the same one who gave me my Switch Lite, gave me Shield as well, so I ultimately ended up with both.

Not this time. My wife and I always pick which version we each want, and while in previous generations I'd have financed the purchase of both, the games are a little more expensive now, so I'm only paying for my version.

(That said, I did snatch up Let's Go, Eevee! for her when I saw it running for $40 on Amazon a while back, so the benefits of the new approach haven't quite kicked in yet, but that was my decision.)

I usually always buy both versions, but after an expensive end to last year and now hearing about the expansions for both, I'll probably wait until Fall to purchase Shield as well and play through that with both expansions active hopefully.

Partially off topic but finding out the price of Home has also thrown me a bit... 15 is a bit steep, 10 would be perfect, and 5 is unrealistic. But they chose 15... eh. I often forget about the £20 I spent on Switch Online last year as it's a decent price for the entire year, but the service seriously needs to up its game for me to make that payment again...

While I don't have a Switch yet, I'll do like with past versions and won't buy the two versions. There's not enough differences to justify buying the same game twice for me, and trading for version exclusives and the other starters can be done with the free version of Home.

EDIT: I also don't have anyone in my house to play with, either.

I only bought Sword since the Switch's multi-profile system makes getting two versions unnecessary in my opinion because I can have several save files for free.

I bought Shield for myself, but then got Sword as a gift. It's no use since I only have one switch but whatever

Well if that’s the reason then:
a) I believe you can trade between versions for free using Home, although I guess it isn’t out yet.
b) Can’t you just...play both on the same Switch? Like why is this any different than the past 7 generations.
a) Well, Home isn't out yet, so I guess there's no point for them to get both yet.
b) Well, most people get both so that they can trade with themselves. If it's to have, say, a normal file and a challenge file then I agree with you.

Yes, though I still haven't finished Shield just because I'm busy, and most of my video game time is spent on Animal Crossing because I'm hype for New Horizons.

I do think this might be the last time I pick up both copies though. With multiple profiles, I can now play the game again without having to have the other version.

I was going to buy both, but then I decided against it and just got Shield, and beat it three times, once with each starter.

Got some friends to trade with, and the people on some Discord-servers are quite willing to trade, as well. So, nah, I don't need a second version at the moment.

Getting the version-exclusive legendaries is the only drawback (Zacian and probably a new Regi).

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom