• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you ever use the special balls? (Heal balls, Luxuray Balls...etc etc...)

I only use Dusk Balls with my regular balls. I do, however, use any special ball I have when I'm out of Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls on a legendary.
Essentially this. I want all my Pokemon to share their balls. Lack of uniformity is bad. The only thing I feel is worth breaking the norm is the Dusk Ball, because hot damn, dem shadow effects.

Dusk Balls and Timer Balls are useful for catching legendaries, so I definitely use those. And honestly, I actually have main Pokemon on my team that I caught in Heal, Luxury, Quick, and Net Balls, so I think that they all have their uses. Especially if you want to see different effects for sending out your Pokemon.

I don't really use other sorts of PokeBalls aside from the main three.

I do use them if I have them from finding them randomly or them having been gifted to me.

Usually only use the Dusk or Timer.

The rest usually to waste them since they're taking up space. :T

I use only pokeballs for the pokemon on my PBR team. Yep. even shiny pokemon are caught in pokeballs.

i only use pokeballs and master balls. however, when i was younger i did use ultra balls and stuff.

I use different balls depending on the situation I'm in. Fishing/Surfing: Net Ball. Cave: Dusk Ball, etc. And I thought that said Luxray ball at first, ha.

For common Pokémon I mostly use Poké Balls but sometimes I'll use Great Balls or Ultra Balls. Or any other special Poké Ball that I happen to have... sometimes to make it easier to catch, but usually just whatever ball is convenient (like, if I run out of Poké Balls but have some Dusk Balls I'll use them, even if it's not dark).
For Legendaries, the only Poké Balls that I use are Premier Balls. I like it to be a challenge so I do nothing to put it in my favour. I use Premier Balls as opposed to Poké Balls for 2 reasons -- they look cooler (in my opinion), and they are harder to buy so I don't have as many, which makes it even more challenging (I can't just go into the battle and throw 100 Premier Balls until I catch the thing or I'd run out). The only reason I'd use a different ball on a Legendary is if I do run out, but in that case I normally just turn off the game and try again later. Also, I caught my Dream World Arceus in a Premier Ball too... because I had never used the Dream World before and had no idea that there was even such a thing as a "Dream Ball". Apparently any ball thrown at a Dream World Pokémon will function as a Master Ball. It's nice that my Arceus is in a Premier Ball though, as it keeps the uniformity.
Also, I have never used my Master Ball and probably never will unless I get really desperate (like if I find a Shiny and I'm all out of other balls or if its a Shiny Abra or some other Pokémon that flees).

Last edited:
The only special balls I use are dusk balls and, sometimes, turn balls to catch a legendary, but nothing else. In fact, I doubt I've ever user a heal ball, given that, after you have six pokemon, they're essentially useless.

For some reason I absolutly love using Premier, Repeat and Moon Balls. Something about their designs keeps me wanting to use them! :D

Premier Balls, Dusk Balls, Timer Balls, and Quick Balls. Premier is only for decoration, and the other three actually have decent uses.

Yes, I do. It is better then having a strict set, so I can catch a variety of types and pokemon in certain places....

Luxury Balls are pretty much pointless except for the look... unless you use a move that the Happiness has an effect on then there's no reason that a Pokémon even needs to be happy. Most Pokémon who evolve through happiness can't be caught in Luxury Balls anyway... baby Pokémon hatch from eggs, Eevee isn't caught in the wild, etc.
And yeah, Heal Balls are even more useless since you most likely won't have a free slot in your party. And if you do, you could just go to a Pokémon Center or use an item or something before you start using that Pokémon.

I'll use Dusk balls, Timer balls, and Quick balls. I always have a few, and I throw them out before anything else on a pokemon I want. I caught Moltres on Platinum that way.

Quick balls are very useful to me. I always use one to start off. If I need any others, I use just about any of them (Ultra, Dusk, heck, even the good ol' Pokeball! Sometimes, it works better than an Ultra ball! :lol:).

I'll use heal balls if they've been given to me by a NPC. I don't buy them, however, because like the OP said, they're just a more expensive version of a Pokeball once you have a team of six.

I'm more likely to use special balls if I don't directly buy them (such as if I get them from the DW, make them out of Apricorns, get them given to me by an NPC, or I happen to get them from the Goldenrod Department Store Lottery). I'm just very cheap about Pokeballs XD

On hard catches I use Dusk Balls and Timer Balls a lot. On SS I mix in some Heavy Balls for legendaries. I've only once used a Heal Ball which was on White as a quick fix because my only 2 pokes were low on health. I use Quick Balls on roamers.

I do use them : Quick Balls if I want a quick catch (duh !), Dusk Balls in the dark, but sometimes I use the Balls that aren't effective in the wrong places (Dive Ball on land, Bis Ball on a Pokémon I've never caught) because I felt like it. Heck, I've even caught Zekrom in a Heal Ball, despite having a full party at the time XD

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom