• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you ever use the special balls? (Heal balls, Luxuray Balls...etc etc...)

Reaction score
From Gen II, loads of special balls were introduced than the standard Pokeball, Great Ball, Ultra Ball, and Master Ball.

Some were made by Kurt using apricorns, some were special Devon products, and some were other stuff.

Did you ever use the special balls?

For me, I use a variety - since most legendaries are huge in Gen II and Gen IV, I used Heavy Balls. Plus, I often challenge them at night so Dusk Balls turn out to be useful, too. (besides, most of them live in caves)

I never used Heal Balls. I mean, by the time you can afford one, you probably have six pokemon on your team and it is going to be sent to the PC anyway.

When I have the time and quantities to be picky I will use one that visually or theoretically suits the Pokémon - i.e., a Heal Ball for an Audino etc.

Not usually. I use Dusk Balls on legendaries a lot, considering the repetitive cave enviroment. YOU'RE MAKING THIS TOO EASY, GAME FREAK.
But yeah, I usually carry only ~70 Ultra Balls and nothing else.

The ones I tend to use are the Dusk Balls. Always waste/use the premiere ball one gets at the start of the game on one of my first captures. Usually use the other ones when I'm starting to run out of the standards or just want to waste it. That's how I caught my Druddigon, with a heal ball that was in my bag I had no use for. xD

I use any Pokeball as long as it catches the Pokemon, but my favourites are Dusk Balls, simply because I'm used to playing Pokemon at night and thus they are more effective. Quick Balls are also good if I want to be done quickly or if it's a shiny.

I've found use for the Timer Balls and Dusk Balls (combined while attempting to capture legendaries).

I used a Heal Ball once when I was in Victory Road and running low on health / items. I only had five mons in my party so I caught one with a Heal Ball to help me make it out without whiting out.

HeartGold and SoulSilver restored my love with the Heavy Ball; especially when it came to capturing Pokémon like Snorlax, Groudon and Kyogre. I was really disappointed that the Apricorn balls weren't in Black and White. Other than that, Dusk Balls get used a heck of a lot by me. I use any ball I have on me at the time, but those two are the ones I used the most (oh and when it came to Pokédex completion, the Level Ball).

I only typically use the timer ball and dusk balls. Not too fond of anything else since I would rather use the ultra ball.

Yeah, I use them when I know they'd work best, like Dusk Balls in a cave or at night or Timer Balls when it's taking a crapload of time to catch a legendary. Oh, and Net Balls for water and bug types. And I used Heavy Balls on Lugia in HG. I also try to use Heal Balls a lot because they're my favorite Pokeballs. I think they're so pretty! <3

So I use them on my favorite Pokemon. :3

I generally just use Dusk Balls, because I prefer to use Ultra Balls everywhere that isn't a cave/night time. Though if I'm doing something like catching a bunch of Luvdisc then I'll use Quick Balls

I use those all the time actually. Heal Balls are good if you want to use a Pokemon you catch immediately for battle and have space in your party because the Pokeball automatically heals the caught Pokemon. I like to catch shiny Pokemon with Luxury Balls or Premier Balls. Quick Balls are nice too to catch a Pokemon you dont want to battle and risk KOing and Dusk Balls are good for catching Pokemon in the evening when Im usually playing the games so it works out well I try to carry alot of those.

I love the Apricorn balls, and I use balls if they fit the Pokémon, such as Time Balls on Dialga.

I always loved only using normal Pokéballs, even when trying to catch legendary Pokémon with a catch rate of 3, but I've started catching legendaries and shiny Pokémon in Luxury Balls, after realising how cool they are.

I like Dusk and Luxury balls so I use them but many times I breed pokemon for special moves so they often wind up in a regular pokeball. When it comes to legendaries I try my best to get them in a pokeball or luxury ball with a good nature to show my effort. :p

I used to practically never use any special balls, because I always thought they looked messy when seen next to so many regulay Pokéballs, but after needing to capture a little Tynamo with Pokémon that are actually decently leveled, I decided to at least use Quick Balls sometimes.

I always love using Luxury Balls to capture my favorite Pokemon. They are by far the nicest looking Pokeball and in my opinion they emanate a sense of class. (I kind of wish there was a choice to put your bred pokemon in any pokeball you choose. If I could choose, I would put all of my special bred competitive pokemon in a Luxury Ball.)

On a side note, I actually found that the Heavy Ball is INCREDIBLY useful. It actually has a really good catch rate for all the heavy pokemon in the game (which there are a lot) and also 9 times out of 10, they work better than Ultra Balls when trying to catch a lot of the Legendary Pokemon.

Edit: Also it needs to be said, Quick Ball = Awesome.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom