• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you ever use the special balls? (Heal balls, Luxuray Balls...etc etc...)

I used to match the colors of a Pokemon to a Pokeball, like a Great Ball fer Roserade, 'cause of it's red and blue rose hands.

I usually only use them when I think they look cool. For example, I caught a Golbat I planned to use in a Dusk Ball because Dusk Balls are awesome. And I once caught a Clamperl in a Dive Ball.

Oh, and I once caught an Onix in a Lure Ball for the lulz. xD

Last edited:
Not the Heal, Quick, Dive, or Repeat Balls, but I do use others.

I particularly like Nest, Net, and Heavy, as well as Luxury/Friend for those that need it.

I caught a Rufflet in a dusk ball because I love the dusk ball's deploy animation (it reminds me of a Protoss building warping in).

I almost always caught all the legendaries in Dusk Balls, but in HGSS, I caught my Lugia in a Heavy Ball.

After post-league, I use Nest Balls to catch low-leveled pokemon that I want.

I'm currently stocking up on Heal Balls, just because of their color :) I love Net Balls too. If only I could buy Premium Balls instead of getting them as a freebie... They look so much better than the regular Poké Balls!

I never really understood the use of heal balls. The Pokemon center is not that far away, and most of the time the Pokemon will be sent to the PC, thereby healing it.

I usually use dusk balls for legendaries, and sometimes use luxury balls for Pokemon whose future evolutions depend on happiness.

I did use the Apricorn Balls in Gen II (and a bit in SS), except for the Friend and Moon Balls, though I still don't really get the point of the Moon Balls. Do we REALLY need a specific PokeBall that works best on Moon Stone-evolving Pokes? I don't know; it never made much sense to me. Also, I don't really find much use in Dive Balls after Gen III (with the Net Balls available) and Heal Balls seem a bit useless to me since I don't get them until AFTER I'll already have a full team on-hand with me.

In Gen III, I didn't know where the Premier Balls came from and I had gotten 3 of them that I saved (again, I didn't know you just get them when you buy 10+ Poke Balls) on my first run-through of Sapphire. Since I thought they were special, I decided to try to use them to catch the 3 Legendary golems. I can't remember if I succeeded or not though....

I do use special balls every once in a while now, more so in Gen IV and the post game of Gen V. I never liked that by the time I got around to getting the special ones, I pretty much had a set team already in Poke/Ultra Balls (never use Great Balls that much), so I never have much variety in animation. I do mostly use whatever I have now to catch any Pokes to fill my 'dex, especially the Nest Balls. I have been using Repeat Balls quite often recently. I do love the Dusk Balls though and use those a lot more often than any other special ones. If I have a few of any kind of special balls to spare that I just want to get rid of, I'll just throw out whatever I have.

Legendaries I try to get in Ultra Balls, though I will use Fast/Quick Balls at the beginning (espically roaming legendaries like Entei) or Timer Balls later on during battles when I am SLOWLY whittling down health. Sometimes, I will catch Pokemon with theme balls, such as Audino with a Heal Ball. Most of the time, I just use Ultra Balls (or Poke Balls if I 'm feeling daring), though I tend to stay stocked up on several different varieties just in case I need them or have the urge to use them for some reason.

Honestly, only on a Pokemon that I'm trying really hard to catch, and I've no other balls left.

Sometimes- I use it to suit certain Pokemon; I use heal balls to catch Chanseys.

I am usually strict on using only Pokeballs for my captures, however there were times that I liked to use a special ball like a Heal Ball, Dusk Ball on a Pokemon that I favoured. For example I caught a Mienfoo in Victory Road with a Heal Ball because it felt like a special capture, as if I knew I would be using this Pokemon a lot in the future.

And ever since my Mienshao has been the best lead to a party that I have ever used. I also think that it makes the Pokemon seem more special and unique in a way.

Only if they're available in the Pokemarts, I can't be bothered collecting apricorns. If the situation to use a particular ball occurs, then I will give them a try, but I don't really trust them to work better than Ultra Balls. Dusk Balls in Gen IV are about the only ones that had a noticeable difference, but that's because they were slightly broken.

I tend to use Quick Balls at the start and then use Timer Balls or Ultra Balls when the Pokemon is weak enough.

Dusk Balls and quick balls. I don't think i ever used anything else in SS.
Heal balls were useful in early B/W

I only collect the Apricorn Balls and only use the other special Pokéballs for special occasions.

I use almost all kinds of pokéballs, usually depending on the colors, looks and types of pokémon. for example:

I use heal balls on cute pokémon like chansey and jigglypuff; dusk balls look perfect on dark- and ghost-type pokémon such as gengar and weavile; dive balls for water-type pokémon; I use the net ball specifically to catch surskit.

I never use great balls because they look so ugly.

I only use Dusk Balls with my regular balls. I do, however, use any special ball I have when I'm out of Ultra Balls and Dusk Balls on a legendary.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom