• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Did you ever use the special balls? (Heal balls, Luxuray Balls...etc etc...)

I mostly used the special balls in the 5th Gen, like Heal Ball for Ducklett, Dusk Ball for Scraggy, Timer Ball for Tynamo. I only once used the Premier Ball in Platinum for my Roselia.

In GSC, I used to use the Lure Balls, Heavy Balls, and Fast Balls (I quite forgot the names correctly). Catching all Pokémon was a habit at that time. :p

Only when I got them (for free). I don't generally get out of my way to obtain them and the normal balls work fine for me.

Yes, so I can have nice release animations that match. Like a Heal ball for Musharna and other pink Pokemon and a Great ball for most Ice Types.
I am not even joking.

I use them because they're prettier! Heal Balls have a cute animation that works well with something like a Munna. I honestly forget that people use the special balls for their intended purposes.

I sometimes use it for the Pokemon. For legendaries I attempt using a Pokeball, but for other Pokemon I usually use an Ultra or Great Ball.

I love the Dive Ball... it looks great. I always try to use them when I get my hands on them. In the beginning of the game I always buy & sell myriads of Pokeballs to get the Premier ball as I like this one almost as much.

I wish they'd implement a feature where you can change the Ball the Pokemon is caught in. This way the bred Pokemon wouldn't all be in Pokeballs -.-

I used to, but now I hate it. Before, I caught Pokémon in Poké Balls that would fit them. For example, I caught my Lanturn (as a Chinchou) in a Quick Ball because it's blue and yellow like the Pokémon itself. I caught my Honchkrow (as a Murkrow) in a Luxury Ball because they're both black. I caught my Jolteon (as an Eevee) in an Ultra Ball because it's yellow and black, and so it goes.

I hate doing this now. It looks way too disordered. All my Pokémon are caught in standard Poké Balls now, even my legendaries, like Mewtwo, Kyurem, Lugia, etc.

I use whatever looks good, but I have a special fondness for Premier Balls.

I love love love Dive Balls. I often try to carry around some because I like the color and animation. Surprisingly a lot of Pokemon look good in a blue/white ball.

I will also use Heal, Luxury, and Premier Balls on special occasions too. They just scream "this Pokemon is special and important" so yeah.

The three PokeBalls of choice are usually Dusk Ball, Timer Ball and Net Ball, if a hard-to-catch Pokemon is concerned. Examples include Beldum, those legendaries and some stuff like Volcarona. Dusk Balls are for night, Timer Balls are for day (thank goodness Gen 5 makes it go full effect after 10 turns!0 and Net Ball are for Water- and Bug-types (and Soaked Pokemon). If it's easy-to-catch ones, one of those cheaper special balls such as Heal Ball and Nest Ball will do.

Thanks for reading.

I use Quick Balls all the time - 9 times out of 10 throwing a Quick Ball on the first move (before attacking) will capture a Pokemon. It makes capturing so much easier!

I also use Dusk Balls and Net Balls but don't touch any of the other 'special' PokeBalls.

Quick balls and Dusk balls are incredibly useful. Luxury and Friend Balls are great if you haven't something that evolves via friendship. I think most of the special Pokeballs have their merit, except for Heal Balls, they are pretty useless.

I used them a lot in Gen IV, but I really don't use them for their abilities specifically, like I might run out of Ultra balls, so I start using those extra pokeballs I end up getting along the way when trying to catch a legendary or something.

When it comes to catching legendaries, I don't care what ball they're caught in as long as they actually get caught. Sometimes after wasting 10 Dusk Balls or Ultra Balls, I'll just throw a regular Poke Ball for the hell of it, only for it to actually get caught in it.

If it's a pokemon that I really want, then I'll use a special ball to make extra sure that I catch it. I caught a Horsea with a Net Ball because I wanted Kingdra so bad.

Heal Balls are just useless and I usually throw those for the hell of it sometimes.

I use them all the time.

Heal Balls for cute Pokémon.
Dive Balls for Water-types or blue pokémon in general
Net Balls for Bug-types
Luxury Balls for ones who evolve via happiness
and so on...

Oh my gosh yes. From Gen IV forwards, I've relied on Quick Balls to catch the majority of my 'mons. I never found the rest to be as useful as Quick Balls, but I caught Regigigas in a Dusk Ball once. And also, Timer Balls are very useful for those times where you run out of Ultra Balls.

Yeah, I generally use whichever ball I think would go best with the Pokemon I'm catching. :p

I used to care what Pokemon went in which ball, but it's come to irritate me greatly when some of my party Pokemon are in different balls than the rest of the party. It doesn't adhere to my strange sense of, I guess, "harmony." Now I try to have all of my Pokemon in standard Pokeballs (usually because they have been bred over and over and over again to get just the right one.)

I like to catch my fancy pokemon in Luxury Balls and my regular pokemon in pokeballs, to make them feel inadequate.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom