• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

GO Did you expect Pokemon GO to be as successful as it is?

Did you expect Pokemon GO's success?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 12 25.0%
  • No, I thought it would fail.

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Not really, I thought it would be okay.

Votes: 30 62.5%

• Total voters
I had a feeling that Pokemon Go would be successful, not not this successful, once it was released and its not even fully released. Unfortunately it has not been released where I live, Canada, but can't wait to download the app and try it.

I figured it would do well, but not THIS well! :confused:

Though yeah, the question now is if/how well they can utilize Pokes after the Kanto Krew to keep things going, or if it's just a 'nutha cash grab fad...o_O

Last edited:
I didn't expect it to blow up on social media, that's for sure.

I don't think so. They haven't even specified when they'll roll the game out for the rest of the world...
Niantic said that Pokémon from Gen 2 and Up would come to the game at a later date at E3 ( Likely when the hype dies down)

Wow... The fact that I saw it all over the television evening news tells me how ridiculously popular it is right now. Some statistics showed that the App became even more popular than twitter itself at one point, and already has been downloaded on over 5% of all Android smart phones - and it hasn't even been released worldwide yet! Even Nintendo's stock spiked up a bit, just because of this game's 1st week-success alone...

Unfortunately, I'm old-fashioned: I don't own a smart phone, and usually I like walking around lakes just to become lost in thought anyways... And indeed, I have seen people play the game - usually in pairs or small groups, so the social aspect of GO really does seem to work here. GO player watching... It just might become a new hobby of mine! :p

I had a feeling it would be successful with most Pokemon fans, but I honestly did not expect to see it become such a phenomenon. Its became popular with pretty much everyone that grew up with Pokemon, even with those that grew out of Pokemon. I see people walking around town playing all the time. It amazes me and I bet Satoru Iwata is looking down from the heavens with tears of joy in his eyes just because of how much of a success this app has been and how its brought many people together.

I expect it to be a sucess, but what I didn't expect was this level of sucess. It's like the game is magical. I tought I was the only one in my class who liked Pokémon but suddenly Pokémon Go comes out and a bunch of my classmates are talking about Pokémon and trying to catch as much as they can. I love it.

I was definitely not expecting it to be this successful. Figured that most people who are already playing Gen VI would like it, but it seems to have attracted many old and new fans. As for it being a fad that will be over soon, I somewhat doubt it as most of the world is still waiting for it; at worst its popularity will decrease in the areas it is currently available but the new areas will get as many people playing. So it will take more time.

I'm really surprised by its success. People haven't talked about Pokemon like this since the Gen I games first came out.

While I didn't expect it to fail, I didn't expect it to be such a huge success, either. I've seen people of all walks of life playing this game. Today I saw two older ladies, both must have been in their mid 70s, playing and enjoying this game!

The fact that this game is popular with almost every demographic makes me smile since I'm of the belief that Pokemon should be enjoyed by all. I'm glad it was such a big success. Can't wait for it to get cooler here so I can enjoy this game the way it was meant to be enjoyed. =)

I definately didnt expect it to be as major as it is now. Its drawing in a lot of people unfamiliar with Pokemon. Even my mom and sister who arent interested have commented on Pokemon Go. A ton of people seem to know about it. I thinks its great and ultimately could lead to a lot of people staying with the franchise if they keep their interest. It does really surprise me how big it really is though.

pleasantly surprised by how many old fans GO has brought back to the series

like seriously, everyone and their pet cat is playing

like seriously, everyone and their pet cat is playing

Confirmed. I was at my friend's place getting help with calculus, my phone on the table buzzed cause a Pokemon was near, so my friend's cat whacked my phone onto the floor, turning the game sound on. Boots says: "I can has Pokemonz too?"

At first, I wasn't too big on Pokemon Go and didn't think it would be that popular. Now after seeing how popular this app REALLY is and the crazy things people do in order to catch certain Pokemon, and despite most of the negatives the game currently has, I must say, I'm really impressed. Pokémon has managed to connect alot of people out there in the world, capture the hype it has been when the franchise first started,and encourages them to explore out in the open world. If this game was released in the rest of Europe,Canada, and Japan, this app would be INSANELY POPULAR. I've heard there's a spot in South Korea many people are coming to, since it's unknown if the game will come out in South Korea due to government issues and location.

I myself haven't download the game yet since I'm still waiting for certain updates to come that will help fix the game's server problems and other means to make it a bit better. I might give it a try when my final year of school starts, but I'm really waiting for more pokemon besides the 1st generation to come.

Since this will connect with Sun and Moon in a certain way, no doubt in my mind that there will be later Gens of mons released in the future. It just makes sense in the developer's eyes. The more pokemon there are, the more popular this game will be...

To quote myself (Quote is from Nintendo Force, Issue 19, page 79):

"And there's Pokémon GO! We don't know much about it yet, but if it lives up to half its potential...those changes are evolutions. Go could be a revolution."
and
"They're already taking the next step they need to take. It's GO. It could be a stinker, it could be awesome, but it's the first thing in twenty years that could match the Red/Blue craze.

Turn out, I underestimated it a little bit (I lived through the Red Blue craze ; so far Go is noticeably bigger), but I feel I was pretty close.

I hope the hype lasts. I know people who never liked Pokemon who are addicted, and there are Youtubers who have gone on 5 hour road trips to find Pokemon. I even know someone who broke their arm playing it after they fell over xD But it's been on the front paper of the news and everything here (safety issues :p)
Pretty sure when TPC releases more pokémon to catch and more items and tweaks, it could beat Clash Royale and Candy Crush altogether

I thought it would do decently well, mainly amongst current Pokemon fans. Turns out I was completely wrong, and I'm loving every second of it!

I've spent all these years with almost no people to share my love for Pokemon irl, but now strangers come up to me on the streets and talk to me about Pokemon Go! It's a very liberating experience I must say. That's why I hope Nintendo and Niantic play their cards right so the game can remain successful in the future.

But even if the hype dies down, this huge popularity surge was definitely a great achievement for Pokemon's 20th anniversary. Now EVERYONE knows Pokemon is still here and it's going strong!

I thought it would be about as popular as any other Pokemon game, which is mildly popular, enough to reel in a few old fans here and there and get people on it for a month before it goes back to being the hardcore fans, but this? I didn't expect everybody to be playing. Well, when the hype dies down, it'll just be us left again, the question is how long does it last? I'm level 23 so I'd like to see where I'll stack once the hype is gone.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom